PDA

View Full Version : LaRue BCGs

ryu_sekai
07-28-10, 15:07
How does the Larue BCGs for the stealth upper compare to other BCGs like BCM, LMT, DD?

Also, It says they are "Texas Spec" I have no idea what that means...

Thanks

500grains
07-28-10, 15:18
There was a big ta-do over this on the other site, and it turned out that the Larue stuff was either not HPT or not MPI or not both. There have been no reports of one failing, but if you want milspec then I guess you better insist on both HPT and MPI.

Gutshot John
07-28-10, 15:21
This will make for an interesting discussion.

I'd imagine it has something to do with withdrawing their bcgs from the market after an internet blowup.

I wouldn't bother with replacing it if that's what you're worried about.

TehLlama
07-28-10, 15:26
I'd imagine they're a perfect 2nd gun BCG - I have no doubt that LT will replace any parts that go TU on them, but for a go-to rifle I'll take a pricier one with black o-ring and HPT/MPI tested.

ryu_sekai
07-28-10, 15:40
I should be getting my 12" stealth in a few weeks and it will be my new work gun. I have a Ntl match young mfg chrome BC with a noveske bolt laying around and I'm wondering if I should use that?

ETA: from larue site. What is TexasSpecTm? They say it's "mil spec" so it should be MPI tested right?
Assembled to TexasSpecTM our Bolt Carrier Groups use the same mil-spec hardware used military-wide. Additionally, LT assembly enhancements greatly minimize bolt-related failures. Mil-spec gas-key contact areas are precision surface-ground flat for zero gas leakage and then max-staked to eliminate all chances of vibration-induced failures.

rudy99
07-28-10, 16:28
How does the Larue BCGs for the stealth upper compare to other BCGs like BCM, LMT, DD?

Also, It says they are "Texas Spec" I have no idea what that means...

Thanks

Considering the Larue BCG is about $130 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=145) and you can get a BCM for $140 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm), I would just go for the BCM. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that would say the extra $10 for the BCM, plus removing all doubts about MPI/HPT testing, wouldn't be worth it.

eternal24k
07-28-10, 16:48
There was a big ta-do over this on the other site,

That's an understatement :eek:
There are fine to use, but as mentioned, there are better bcgs for the money,
check if Global Tactical or Rainier are offering their bcgs at the intro price of like $120 (IIRC)

ge_traveler
07-28-10, 21:00
Considering the Larue BCG is about $130 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=145) and you can get a BCM for $140 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm), I would just go for the BCM. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that would say the extra $10 for the BCM, plus removing all doubts about MPI/HPT testing, wouldn't be worth it.

Agree, or for $129 go for the LMT or DD bcg. Pick them up from G&R.

justin_247
07-29-10, 02:42
That's an understatement :eek:
There are fine to use, but as mentioned, there are better bcgs for the money,
check if Global Tactical or Rainier are offering their bcgs at the intro price of like $120 (IIRC)

Rainier Arms' / Global Tactical's BCGs are not MPI'd or HPT'd, at least according to the description on the site. Am I wrong about this?

Just get a BCM, LMT, or DD and be done with it.

eternal24k
07-29-10, 06:20
Rainier Arms' / Global Tactical's BCGs are not MPI'd or HPT'd, at least according to the description on the site. Am I wrong about this?

Just get a BCM, LMT, or DD and be done with it.

i just went back and i think you are correct, I assumed with "premium" and other language on the intro thread that they were, but... guess not.
they have a lifetime warranty though, but it looks like BCM is still the standard for the price.

seb5
07-29-10, 17:03
I read and heed a lot of info on this site. I currently have 2 DD's, 2 BCM's, and a Larue bolt and carrier group. The Larue has had the most rounds through it and I really can't get that excited about worrying about anything Larue sells. I did notice that at after about 1000 rounds weak extraction was occurring, causing FTE/FTF and I put in the spring, buffer, and donut that EAG gives out from BCM at his classes. Since then another 400 rounds without issues.