PDA

View Full Version : Whey protein and cholesterol

mike240
07-28-10, 17:00
The amount of cholesterol listed in whey protein powder seems high. What type of cholesterol is it and what are the dangers of whey protein in relation to it?

WillBrink
07-29-10, 08:09
The amount of cholesterol listed in whey protein powder seems high. What type of cholesterol is it and what are the dangers of whey protein in relation to it?

You have to define "seems." If trying to limit dietary cholesterol use an isolate which has no cholesterol due to essentially a zero fat content. Read article "The Whey It is" already linked on this forum for more info on different types of whey, etc. :cool:

It should also be noted, dietary cholesterol poorly reflects serum levels, and true CVD risk, etc:

Articles by McNamara, D. J.
Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Vol. 19, No. 90005, 540S-548S (2000)
Published by the American College of Nutrition

The Impact of Egg Limitations on Coronary Heart Disease Risk: Do the Numbers Add Up?
Donald J. McNamara, Ph.D.

Address reprint requests to: Donald J. McNamara, PhD, Egg Nutrition Center, 1050 17th St. NW, Suite 560, Washington, DC 20036. E-mail: enc@enc-online.org

For over 25 years eggs have been the icon for the fat, cholesterol and caloric excesses in the American diet, and the message to limit eggs to lower heart disease risk has been widely circulated. The "dietary cholesterol equals blood cholesterol" view is a standard of dietary recommendations, yet few consider whether the evidence justifies such restrictions. Over 50 years of cholesterol-feeding studies show that dietary cholesterol does have a small effect on plasma cholesterol concentrations. The 167 cholesterol feeding studies in over 3,500 subjects in the literature indicate that a 100 mg change in dietary cholesterol changes plasma total cholesterol by 2.2 mg/dL.

Today we recognize that dietary effects on plasma cholesterol must be viewed from effects on the atherogenic LDL cholesterol as well as anti-atherogenic HDL cholesterol since the ratio of LDL:HDL cholesterol is a major determinant of heart disease risk. Cholesterol feeding studies demonstrate that dietary cholesterol increases both LDL and HDL cholesterol with little change in the LDL:HDL ratio. Addition of 100 mg cholesterol per day to the diet increases total cholesterol with a 1.9 mg/dL increase in LDL cholesterol and a 0.4 mg/dL increase in HDL cholesterol. On average, the LDL:HDL ratio change per 100 mg/day change in dietary cholesterol is from 2.60 to 2.61, which would be predicted to have little effect on heart disease risk. These data help explain the epidemiological studies showing that dietary cholesterol is not related to coronary heart disease incidence or mortality across or within populations.

Key words: eggs, dietary cholesterol, plasma cholesterol, LDL, HDL, coronary heart disease

Derek_Connor
07-31-10, 13:23
I wouldn't worry that there is Cholesterol in your Whey Protein.

I would worry that there is oxidized Cholesterol in your Whey Protein.

2 totally different animals.

Try to find the brand with the lowest content, and its win win. Or, eat real food after a workout and have no worries.

Tamaon
08-02-10, 10:20
I don't think you have to worry about the whey, as posted above the whole eating cholesterol causing a problem is a myth. I eat a dozen whole eggs a day, and my lipid levels are better now than when I was only eating the whites.

Derek_Connor
08-02-10, 14:45
There are other issues with Whey that would be to consider if your main goal is trying to lean out.

Gut irritation/leaky gut and its insulin provoking properties found in virtually all milk protein.