PDA

View Full Version : Does length of active duty vary with USMC MOS?

Bill Bryant
07-28-10, 17:40
My son is now at MCRD after one year in DEP. He went to boot thinking he would be serving 4 years active duty and then 3 in the reserves to complete his total of 8 years. I recently got a letter from him saying that he has now been told that his MOS requires 5 years active duty, not 4 like his recruiter told him.

Can anybody shed some light here?

Irish
07-28-10, 17:42
Not sure about USMC but Navy had something similar depending on what your Rate or MOS was and how much training and money they sunk into your ability to do your job. What's the MOS?

Bill Bryant
07-28-10, 17:45

Littlelebowski
07-28-10, 17:49
It should be right in there on the contract he signed. It is what it is on the contract, Bill.

My ex girlfriend is in charge of a recruiting office and we're on good terms. I can find out for certain if you like.

Bill Bryant
07-28-10, 17:51
I never saw the contract.

Bill Bryant
07-28-10, 17:52
I would be grateful if you can find out.

Littlelebowski
07-28-10, 18:30
I would be grateful if you can find out.

I will do what I can but I'd call his recruiter if I were you. Just tell him the story and ask to confirm what's on the contract.

Smuckatelli
07-28-10, 18:52
Bill,

He may be getting the DEP confused with active duty. DEP does not count as active duty, his active duty base date will be the day that he entered bootcamp. From there he will have 4 years active duty and 4 years inactive reserve for a total of 8 years commitment.

The 1 year DEP will count for promotion; time in service and those guys usually have a one up on guys just coming in straight off of the street. Generally, but not always, the DEP is set to get promoted to the next rank faster but there are no gaurantees.

His MOS being 8152 is going to have him in a FAST Platoon 80% of the time. The Platoons are located in Norfolk, Yorktown, Japan, and Spain. They also do six month pumps to Bahrain. These are the Marines that get sent to various locations to provided enhanced security. He is also open to go to Camp David if he can get a Yankee White clearance.

His next stop after bootcamp will be the Infantry Training School either at Camp Lejeune or Camp Pendleton. Once he graduates he will most likely be a 0311 (Rifleman) or 0331 (Machinegunner). From there he will get orders to atend Security Forces School at Northwest Chesapeake which is just south of Norfolk next to the Dismal Swamp along the North Carolina border.

Somewhere along the line, probably at Security forces he will be given an opportunity to pick a duty station. I recommend that he picks Marine Security Force Europe, they are stationed in Rota Spain. These guys break off and do some pretty good things throughout Europe and Sahel/Magreb Africa. But as with everything else in the Corps, he serves for the good of the Corps, he may not get his choice of duty station.

Smuckatelli
07-28-10, 18:55
I will do what I can but I'd call his recruiter if I were you. Just tell him the story and ask to confirm what's on the contract.

Good advise about calling the recruiter, just keep in mind that your son is already in bootcamp. Many times the recruiters see these recruits as 'rounds down range' they are worried about the next potential recruit. He may or may not be able to help you.

Looey
07-28-10, 19:51
there are some MOS that require you to have a five year active duty service with a 3 year inactive portion. most of the time these are for Marines that are going to have to spend any where from 9-16 months going thru MOS school.

dookie1481
07-28-10, 20:24
I served with a TON of Security Forces guys and I don't recall any of them doing 5 years of AD.

Jay

Smuckatelli
07-28-10, 20:46
Looey, you're probably right but I haven't seen any of those type of contracts. They did have the QEP in the late 80's where people signed up for 6 years active with guaranteed Cpl in 13 months but it was open to all MOS. My brother was one of those 18 month comm tech bubbas, his initial contract was 4 years active but some major re-enlistment incentives were open for him.

Specific to 8152, there isn't a 5 year AD contract. I really think that Bill's son is getting overloaded with USMC jargon and lifestyle. My best guess is that he is getting the DEP confused as being 1 year AD.

I was a 8152 on MSG in Prague, then went back to school for 8154 (supervisor) for Bangui. Another tour in the fleet and then I went to Security Force School to once again become a 8154 in Rota. I'm still working with Security Force Battalion off and on in Norfolk. We put a tracking system in the live fire shoot house in Northwest Chesapeake and last year I went to Rota to install a Language Lab.

As of 7 months ago there wasn't a 5 year AD contract for Security Force...but as with everything else in the Corps....Semper Gumby, Bill's son just might be the one that somehow against SOP got a 5 year AD contract but I'm not betting a beer on that.

JSantoro
07-28-10, 20:54
If it is a 5yr active period, his 3yr Reserve should be what's called "non-obligated," which means 3yrs in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve), not a drilling Reservist (SMCR). That's the balance. Most often, 8 yr contracts are 4yrs Active, 2yrs SMCR, 2 yrs IRR, with variations thereof. 5/3 would be a variation, but they're type-specific.

However, the schools for 8152, even presuming he attains a FAST billet, aren't enough time to account for that, even as robust a selection process as that can be. Smuckatelli has the right of it, I think. Somebody's far more likely mixing his DEP time in there somewhere, or some noncombat-arm dude that has no idea is feeding him bum scoop.

Occam's Razor, a DI could be screwing with his head a bit, stressing him. About the only thing they aren't allowed to do in that regard is talk smack about a dead family member. It's a complimentary service. :D

Smuckatelli
07-28-10, 21:18
Bill....something that you need to learn is Semper Gumby.

The Jarheads on this forum pretty much know what is going on but none of us will say this is THE answer because some L/Cpl in Ouagadougou could prove us all wrong.

There is always the one Rudy with the Rusty rifle in the third rank that never gets the word that has the ability embarrass the most senior/salty Marine.

At the end of the day, when you secure for the night just remember that Bill Jr is doing all of us civilians a massive favor by serving and don't question his bootcamp letters. He might have found out the right answer 30 minutes after he mailed the letter so don't bring the subject back up with him unless he brings it back up.

dwhitehorne
07-28-10, 21:29
Only the contract he signed will tell. I have been out many years but the Corps had 4,5 and 6 year active contracts with a total 8 year commitment when I was in. I was in DEP for 11 months for my senior year in high school. I was told the DEP counted for time but I got out after almost 6 years of active duty and received my Honorable Discharge in the mail 2 years after my discharge. Which was 8 years after my start of boot camp.

I would be curious where he is getting his info from in boot camp. As in the DI screwing with him. I enlisted as guaranteed 03/Security Forces but didn't get my MOS assignment (0351) until I reported to Infantry Training School at Camp Geiger. I did not even go to Security Forces school and was tossed into the FMF. Something about being short of 51's and 52's and everyone in my class had all Security Forces orders cancelled and everyone went to the Fleet. Contract, what contract. I'm sure I signed it away, but I did lots of paperwork and have no idea or was ever given a copy of anything.

All I would say is write back your son and tell him to do his best. He is in bootcamp and has to finish that first. Security Forces has FAST company (Fleet Anti-Terrorism Support Team) and they do some of the best training the Corps has to offer. David

Bill Bryant
07-29-10, 09:07
Thanks for all the help, folks.

Looey
07-29-10, 11:31
Looey, you're probably right but I haven't seen any of those type of contracts. They did have the QEP in the late 80's where people signed up for 6 years active with guaranteed Cpl in 13 months but it was open to all MOS. My brother was one of those 18 month comm tech bubbas, his initial contract was 4 years active but some major re-enlistment incentives were open for him.

Specific to 8152, there isn't a 5 year AD contract. I really think that Bill's son is getting overloaded with USMC jargon and lifestyle. My best guess is that he is getting the DEP confused as being 1 year AD.

I was a 8152 on MSG in Prague, then went back to school for 8154 (supervisor) for Bangui. Another tour in the fleet and then I went to Security Force School to once again become a 8154 in Rota. I'm still working with Security Force Battalion off and on in Norfolk. We put a tracking system in the live fire shoot house in Northwest Chesapeake and last year I went to Rota to install a Language Lab.

As of 7 months ago there wasn't a 5 year AD contract for Security Force...but as with everything else in the Corps....Semper Gumby, Bill's son just might be the one that somehow against SOP got a 5 year AD contract but I'm not betting a beer on that.

I am almost sure that there is some Air-wing MOS that have 5 year active duty contracts. this is because they spend about a year going thru school.

dookie1481
07-29-10, 12:22
I am almost sure that there is some Air-wing MOS that have 5 year active duty contracts. this is because they spend about a year going thru school.

Yes, I don't recall the MOS but I had a SNCO whose initial enlistment was 5 years.

Jay

TehLlama
07-29-10, 15:05
I signed up for 5 years. I've had over two years of language training, and a good deal of other training. Yes, there are a number of MOSs that require a longer contract.

Bill Bryant
07-29-10, 18:25
It should be right in there on the contract he signed. It is what it is on the contract, Bill.

My ex girlfriend is in charge of a recruiting office and we're on good terms. I can find out for certain if you like.PM sent

Bill Bryant
08-21-10, 16:35
I'm bringing this back to the top in case anybody unfamiliar with this thread can shed some more light.