PDA

View Full Version : SHTF flashlight

ShipWreck
07-28-10, 20:31
Got my new Solarforce in today :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/light6-1.jpg

Nugentforoffice
07-28-10, 21:44
never heard of it. how much? how many lumens? it's different looking but does it work? it's pretty hard to beat a streamlight stylus pro for a small light. and they are usually less than $20 i have a few and they are worth much more. hope that works for you when it does hit the fan...

markm
07-28-10, 21:50
I almost bought one of those bling heads for T&E pics. It's a flash hider for a flash light! :p

ShipWreck
07-28-10, 21:52
never heard of it. how much? how many lumens? it's different looking but does it work? it's pretty hard to beat a streamlight stylus pro for a small light. and they are usually less than $20 i have a few and they are worth much more. hope that works for you when it does hit the fan...

I was joking about a "SHTF flashlight" because of the killer bezel :P

I paid $45 for it.

Solarforce is popular on Candle Power Forum. Admittedly, I never heard of them either until I started to frequent that light. My 2 cell Solarforce puts out about 220 lumens OTF. I am nots ure what this one puts out, as it is a 1 cell light (a one cell rechargable 3.7volt 123 battery - standard 123 cells are just 3 Volts)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/solarforce4.jpg

I'm waiting on my 4th Eagletac to arrive tomorrow, and then I plan to take a new group photo. I have like 17 or 18 lights now.

My fav are still the Eagletacs. The P20C2 Mk II is my fav of the ones I have so far. 300 OTF lumens... Although, the larger M2CX4 with 800 lumens rocks too :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Eagletacs-1.jpg

ShipWreck
07-28-10, 21:54
I almost bought one of those bling heads for T&E pics. It's a flash hider for a flash light! :p

I just got it because it is unique. I have many brighter lights, although it is a good light. I just had to have it because of the bezel. It looks almost like a mini lightsaber.

The bezel on my regular solarforce L2 (pictured above - the gun metal one)) is actually pretty sharp - great defensive light.

This killer bezel is somewhat sharp too - and made out of stainless steel. So, it doesn't bend at all. I got it for a conversation piece, however.

drrufo
07-28-10, 21:57
These are found on Ebay, they range from 15.00 to 75.00, depending on the module and battery. They fit into most of the flashlight mounts, the only one that was too loose was the Elzetta, a rubber sheet would make the fit much better.

Led's are very common in the lights, mostly 270/290 lumens. I don't know if they are close to that brightness but they are much better than the stock G2 module. My g2 now has a 390 lumen LED in it and it is very bright.

ShipWreck
07-28-10, 22:02
These are found on Ebay, they range from 15.00 to 75.00, depending on the module and battery. They fit into most of the flashlight mounts, the only one that was too loose was the Elzetta, a rubber sheet would make the fit much better.

Led's are very common in the lights, mostly 270/290 lumens. I don't know if they are close to that brightness but they are much better than the stock G2 module. My g2 now has a 390 lumen LED in it and it is very bright.

Yes, lights w/o that bezel made by that company are not too expensive for the base models.

The $15 price is for just the bodies. I paid $25 for my regular 2 cell gunmetal one. The bezel alone sells for $26. I decided to just buy the entire light.

They are Surefire clones - but essentially use any Surefire 6p drop in. And, you can mix and match body parts of the lights.

markm
07-28-10, 22:04
I just got it because it is unique. I have many brighter lights, although it is a good light. I just had to have it because of the bezel. It looks almost like a mini lightsaber.

The bezel on my regular solarforce L2 (pictured above - the gun metal one)) is actually pretty sharp - great defensive light.

This killer bezel is somewhat sharp too - and made out of stainless steel. So, it doesn't bend at all. I got it for a conversation piece, however.

Yep. Your pic gives a better look at the bezel than others I've seen. Mine all have 1 mode Solarforce/Cree drop ins. Very good lights for the price.

I started a solarforce thread here a while back, and it was like you could hear a pin drop. :eek:

Nugentforoffice
07-28-10, 22:11
[QUOTE=ShipWreck;718985]I just got it because it is unique. I have many brighter lights, although it is a good light. I just had to have it because of the bezel. It looks almost like a mini lightsaber.

I'm Out!

ShipWreck
07-28-10, 22:17
Yep. Your pic gives a better look at the bezel than others I've seen. Mine all have 1 mode Solarforce/Cree drop ins. Very good lights for the price.

I started a solarforce thread here a while back, and it was like you could hear a pin drop. :eek:

Yes, both of mine are 1 mode lights too. I may likely get 1 or 2 more in the future... I may give the AA model body a try and just order the drop in seperate.

Honestly, I had never heard of them prior to getting on CPF.

I reallyw ant to get a Masterpiece Pro one day. I was deciding betwee the Pro and my M2XC4 - but I got the Eagletac for now instead.

next year I plan to get the LED holy rail - the Olight SR90 at 220 lumens :D

PrivateCitizen
07-28-10, 22:30
What is the UI like?

Dual mode?

Is it click through like a Surefire or is the mode changed with bezel rotation?

ShipWreck
07-28-10, 22:36
No, the two Solarforce models I have are single mode - they make multi mode ones or I could get a multi mode drop in.

chriskc04
07-29-10, 09:23
For SHTF, what about something that runs on AAs?

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1656

trappernana
07-29-10, 10:40
After the SHTF You'll spend most of your time with your hands busy. Make sure one of your lights is a head lamp.:D

ShipWreck
07-29-10, 16:11
For SHTF, what about something that runs on AAs?

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1656

I have some AAA lights, no AA ones (other than a converted mini maglight for my son.

I keep 25+ 123 batteries on hand all the time. My two Eotechs use them, as does the lights on my two rifles. So, I have quite a few extras...

ShipWreck
07-29-10, 16:43
And here is the collection now :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/All-Lights-7-29-10.jpg

1. Eagletac T100C2 Mk II
2. Coleman Max 110 Lumen Spot/Flood AAA LED
3. 3D Maglight with Fusion 36 LED Conversion -- 400-600 lumens
4. C30 Spot to Flood LED
5. 3D Maglight LED
6. C30 Spot to Flood LED (I got 2 of these)
7. Solarforce L2
8. Solarforce L2m with Attack Bezel
9. Eagletac M2CX4
10. Eagletac P20C2 Mk II
11. Inova Xo (latest generation)
12. Inova T2-MP 140 lumens
13. Inova XO3 - 2009 Edition
14. Brinkman AAA 3W LED
15. AA Mini Maglight with LED Conversion
16. Brinkman Xenon 2x123 light

And then the Eagletac T20C2 Mk II on my PS90:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Ps90-701.jpg

markm
07-29-10, 18:38
I have that L2 as well.

The body is a little narrower than the L2p's that I run on my guns. So I just use the L2 for a hand held light.

ShipWreck
08-09-10, 17:57
I got a fullsize black soloarforce in - I changed the "attack bezel parts out with the fullsize body. Looks much better now. And, I also have a small pocket flashlight with a rechargable 123 cell :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/solarforce1.jpg

markm
08-09-10, 21:02
I have that second tail cap on one of my weapons. I've had problems with the standard tail caps sticking and not coming on when I click them.

Apparently Surefire tailcaps benefit from a drop of oil on the clicky some place. I might need to try that with my solarforce tailcaps.

ShipWreck
08-10-10, 06:21
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that. So far, mine have worked fine

markm
08-10-10, 19:10
It's not any of the tailcaps pictured, the tailcaps that have been "sticky" for me are the recessed clicky caps with no momentary on feature.... they're the stock tail caps on the L2Ps.

LockenLoad
08-10-10, 19:56

quark mini 123

ShipWreck
08-10-10, 21:22
It's not any of the tailcaps pictured, the tailcaps that have been "sticky" for me are the recessed clicky caps with no momentary on feature.... they're the stock tail caps on the L2Ps.

Oh, ok. Thanks.

jacketch
08-12-10, 16:20
I recently purchased a 4Sevens Maelstrom with 350 lumens and since it uses 18650's in addition to cr123's I think I'll get a Solarforce body for each of my SF 6PL lights. That way I can use the rechargeable 18650 batteries for all my weaponlights.

Several of the 6PL's also have ThruNite drop ins with 225 or 300 lumens. The 18650 will also provide a bit more out the front.

chriskc04
08-12-10, 18:23
I recently purchased a 4Sevens Maelstrom with 350 lumens and since it uses 18650's in addition to cr123's I think I'll get a Solarforce body for each of my SF 6PL lights. That way I can use the rechargeable 18650 batteries for all my weaponlights.

Several of the 6PL's also have ThruNite drop ins with 225 or 300 lumens. The 18650 will also provide a bit more out the front.

Sounds nice. I have a Jet IIIM and use 18650s. Didn't know about these bodies and drop-ins. Thanks for the info.