PDA

View Full Version : UN SALW Act

Skyyr
07-29-10, 08:03
I was doing some reading yesterday and I came across the UN SALW (Small Arms and Light Weapons) control act, namely the latest revision that NATO tried to get Hilary Clinton to agree to.

I hadn't followed it much until last night, but it appears that if signed and passed, ANY weapon not bearing the two-letter country identification code of its country of origin, among other things, would be illegal under international law. For example, marking the receiver "Arlington, VA" wouldn't work - it MUST state "US". This seems all good until you read the part that says any weapon not having this identification code would be illegal to possess under international law.

This would bring about three things; it would make virtually every weapon manufactured prior to 2005 illegal to possess, it would allow NATO troops to enter the US to "control" and confiscate all of the newly "illegal" weapons, and it would trump the 2nd Amendment. Obviously this act is being revised and no one's seen the latest revision, but common sense says it's not going to vary much. This isn't speculation or conspiracy theory, it IS what would happen if we sign onto this act.

So my question is this: WHY hasn't this been brought up or addressed like the huge threat it is?

kry226
07-29-10, 08:21
I was at first very terrified of these goings on. However, after doing some reading, it appears that the is precedent and/or laws that prohibit the US from entering into treaties that violate the US Constitution or threaten US sovereignty.

While I don't think we need to disregard our close and strict monitoring of what our government may be trying to do in this regard, I also don't think it's time to string any body up just yet.

I think this is why I think we haven't seen the NRA going absolutely Snuffleupagus all over Clinton.

HD1911
07-29-10, 08:38
There will be a alot of dead UN troops if they come onto this soil trying to confiscate our guns...that's all I'm gonna say.

djegators
07-29-10, 08:46
I don't think there is any chance the Senate would approve such a treaty if signed by Obama. And if they do....:suicide2:

No.6
07-29-10, 08:52
However, after doing some reading, it appears that the is precedent and/or laws that prohibit the US from entering into treaties that violate the US Constitution or threaten US sovereignty.

Wouldn't necessarily stop the current administration (and perhaps some previous ones too) from signing it. By the time the SCOTUS got it sorted out, all the confiscated small arms would have been sold off by the UN and the monies deposited into their "retirement accounts" along with a new cry for even more invasive laws.

kry226
07-29-10, 08:58
Wouldn't necessarily stop the current administration (and perhaps some previous ones too) from signing it. By the time the SCOTUS got it sorted out, all the confiscated small arms would have been sold off by the UN and the monies deposited into their "retirement accounts" along with a new cry for even more invasive laws.

Agreed, but I really do seriously doubt the ability of anyone to confiscate guns from Americans.

HD1911
07-29-10, 09:03
Agreed, but I really do seriously doubt the ability of anyone to confiscate guns from Americans.

It would definitely take World Wide Pressure and a World Force such as the UN/NATO to try something that bold.

djegators
07-29-10, 10:26
It is important to note that the President can sign whatever treaties he wants, but they are not binding to us until the Senate approves them. The process goes like this: President makes agreement, Senate rarifies with 2/3 vote, then the President ratifies. If we go that far on something like a gun grab, we will already be at SHTF.

Heavy Metal
07-29-10, 10:36
It takes 67 votes in the senate to ratify.

I don't see 37 to do such a thing right now.

This UN small arms stuff is something I lose no sleep over.

CarlosDJackal
07-29-10, 12:44
It would definitely take World Wide Pressure and a World Force such as the UN/NATO to try something that bold.

Not even if they send all of the other NATO countries and the rest of Central and South America would they be able to do this. Now if someone was somehow able to convince the US Military to do so, that would be a different story.

Out side of Feinstein, Pelosi, Kerry, the Clintons and Obama; I don't see many politician stupid enough to agree to something like this much less enforce it.

But then again, you never know just how corruptible the current regime really is.

HD1911
07-29-10, 13:48
Not even if they send all of the other NATO countries and the rest of Central and South America would they be able to do this. Now if someone was somehow able to convince the US Military to do so, that would be a different story.

Out side of Feinstein, Pelosi, Kerry, the Clintons and Obama; I don't see many politician stupid enough to agree to something like this much less enforce it.

But then again, you never know just how corruptible the current regime really is.

THIS...

And of course I meant with the assistance, or shall I say, the cooperation and compliance of, the US Military.

By no means do I want to get into Tin Foil Hat Territory, but the World desperately wants to be in a One World Govt system and same monetary system.

With the decline of the US (morally, financially, etc etc) and the "good ol' boys" type slowing dying off here in America...I say, anything is possible.

Constitution and freedom loving Americans are ever becoming more scarce. Hell, just look at my generation (I'm 25)...their mostly Zombies.

We are a small, tiny percentage of the world...the ones who actually want to stand up for whats right and fight evil and such. The rest are just programmed in to follow the masses and whatever the govt tells them.

Skyyr
07-29-10, 14:01
Constitution and freedom loving Americans are ever becoming more scarce. Hell, just look at my generation (I'm 25)...their mostly Zombies.

I'm 26 and I feel the same way. Few take their lives or freedoms seriously anymore. It disgusts me when I see the these $5 latte types sitting in coffee shops with their mac-books covered in social networking stickers and "Save Kenya" messages. They have no idea what the real world is.

HD1911
07-29-10, 14:08
I'm 26 and I feel the same way. Few take their lives or freedoms seriously anymore. It disgusts me when I see the these $5 latte types sitting in coffee shops with their mac-books covered in social networking stickers and "Save Kenya" messages. They have no idea what the real world is.

Yeah it is sad, indeed. Actually, it's disgusting as you put it. Glad to see there's another young man that can see the world and current condition for what it really is.

GermanSynergy
07-29-10, 14:12

Even better- the "Save Darfur" types. A few years ago I asked one if he would be willing to put a helmet and a rifle behind his convictions and fight the Janjaweed. He looked at me like I was speaking Babylonian...:rolleyes:

As it relates to this thread- we need to continue trying to educate those that are on the proverbial fence. Winning these folks over to thinking about individual liberty and voting accordingly is key....

dbrowne1
07-29-10, 14:45
So my question is this: WHY hasn't this been brought up or addressed like the huge threat it is?

Because it isn't actually a huge threat, inasmuch as the probability of it being implemented, signed, ratified by the Senate, and put into effect is close to nil.

It's a lot like those bills that some moonbat Congressmen introduce every year (like putting a 10,000% tax on ammo). You might get some scary blurb from the NRA about it to get more money from you, but it's never going anywhere in any realistic political world.

Also, people tend to yawn at these "UN gun grab" items because they've been around in some form or another for many years. This is actually nothing new, and like all the other crap the UN flings around, it too will go nowhere.

Armati
07-29-10, 16:59
I think NATO operating in the US would be about as effective as they have been operating in Afghanistan.

Mac5.56
07-29-10, 17:05
There will be a alot of dead UN troops if they come onto this soil trying to confiscate our guns...that's all I'm gonna say.

I grew up in a climate of self reliance, and anti federal government sentiment. I will agree with you, no one is taking American's guns away from them without a fight.

But come on? Do you really think the UN or NATO would even attempt to enter this country ever? Unless we completely collapse into a 100% failed state, and the result is a series of several small, and atrocious civil wars spread out across the country with no form of a federal government left, you will never see a blue helmet without an American Flag patch deployed in this country.

Gun owners have more fear of the big bag guberment boggie man then vegans have of meat products.