PDA

View Full Version : Safety Selector

Craft714
07-29-10, 14:21
My Colt safety switch seems to be getting harder to move (on and off), any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks

C4IGrant
07-29-10, 14:23
My Colt safety switch seems to be getting harder to move (on and off), any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks

Could be something in there or the selector detent has become deformed.

Take it out and look at it.

C4

Todd.K
07-29-10, 14:48
Have you changed or removed the grip lately? The spring may have been damaged.

Craft714
07-29-10, 14:52
Now that you mentioned it, I put new grip on it a while back. Thanks, gonna check it now.

DaBears_85
07-29-10, 14:59
It's definately either the spring and/or spring detent. If, in the off chance it's not either, try putting a thin film of lube on the selector before reinstalling. Actually, you should do that either way just for good measure.

Jonesal08
07-29-10, 17:51
I cant remember, but I think the detent will go in wrong side up, if so, it may be as simple as reversing it. One side is flatter than the other. I could have this mistaken with the rear pin detent though, not sure.

markm
07-29-10, 18:59
My selector gets stiff from silencer filth getting kicked back into the lower.

A few drops of CLP and it's loose again.

HeavyDuty
07-29-10, 20:57
Now that you mentioned it, I put new grip on it a while back. Thanks, gonna check it now.

A Hogue by chance?

Artiz
07-30-10, 09:45
My selector got sticky and hard to move a few times, I remove the grip and selector, clean the detent channel, detent and the selector (they become black) and apply a drop of lube on each side when it's assembled again. It's smoth as butter after that. I don't know what causes it to suddenly become really hard to move tho... It's litterally coming from nowhere, one minute it's smooth, the other it's a pain to get it moving.

motorwerks
07-30-10, 13:14
here's what happened to me....

I lost my safety selector spring so I grabbed one from my parts bin and threw it in, all of a sudden it was hard to use the selector, but I went for it anyway. So some time went one and a friend tried it and was freaked out how tough it was so I went home and took it apart and did some digging. When I would turn the grip screw out a few turns it ran great so I swapped out my magpul for an A2 and it worked fine. I tried a different magpul grip and it wasn't as bad but still stiff. So I cut a coil or 2 off of the spring and put the first MIAD back on and it works GREAT now.

Craft714
07-30-10, 20:04
Hogue Grips! Changed the grip and cut a couple of coils and it's slick as my LMT.

Thanks guys!

motorwerks
07-30-10, 21:07
glad we could help!

HeavyDuty
07-31-10, 06:39
Hogue Grips! Changed the grip and cut a couple of coils and it's slick as my LMT.

Thanks guys!

Thought so. I used to use Hogues and every one required shortening the spring. It was a real pain in the ass when I changed over to MOEs, I didn't remember I had done it years ago and had to order all new selector springs, too.

crowkiller
07-31-10, 09:13
My safety selector feels mushy it doesnt have a very positive click when switching it back and forth. What might be the problem here? Im uasing a MIAD grip and SSA trigger. Thanks

jmr
07-31-10, 10:52
As mentioned before take it out and inspect/lube it. The detent probably needs a touch of lube.

motorwerks
07-31-10, 12:21
My safety selector feels mushy it doesnt have a very positive click when switching it back and forth. What might be the problem here? Im uasing a MIAD grip and SSA trigger. Thanks

Try a new spring and detent, I think they are $4.00 together.