PDA

View Full Version : Question about Receiver Extension

magsig
07-29-10, 20:39
Is it my imagination (or an optical illusion) or are some receiver extensions slightly angled up from the reciever to the end of the stock? Both of my rifles appear this way. They are both factory built with mil-spec tubes...one a Colt and the other a DD. Is this normal?

Thanks, magsig

Skyyr
07-29-10, 20:53
The BCG travels straight back from the receiver into the extension, so it would have to be trued/straight. Unless there's some sort of cant built in on purpose that I'm unaware of, the fact that you said both of them appear slanted would make me think you're simply holding them at an angle and you're not aware of it.

magsig
07-29-10, 22:10
Yeah,
I guess it's an illusion. If the lower and the R.E. are both in-spec, they probably wouldn't be able to be assembled incorrectly or canted upward.

Thanks

sniperfrog
07-30-10, 11:47
I have a Mega lower I built up with a Vltor receiver extension and it also appears to angle up slightly. My other lowers don't look this way. I thought maybe the threads on the Mega were cut wrong. It works fine though so I don't know, maybe it is an optical illusion.

Then again, The guys at Defensive Edge started making their own lowers because they said alot of ones they were buying elsewhere had crooked RE threads. They cut the threads first on their lowers and then use that as the starting point for all the other mill work.

magsig
07-30-10, 18:12
Hmmm...

markm
07-30-10, 19:57
I've seen threads where guys do indeed have REs that angle up. The problem was with LMT specifically. I think the lower was threaded at an F'd up angle.

I can't remember what the guy's resolution was.

Caeser25
07-30-10, 20:24
Most likely an illusion. Alot of barrels in pics look bent

magsig
07-30-10, 21:09
I guess it doesn't matter if the bolt carrier moves freely inside the tube...besides, there is no fix if the threads are cut wrong...right?

EzGoingKev
07-31-10, 08:39
My friend has a VLTOR receiver extension that is angled at the rear.

markm
07-31-10, 09:51
My friend has a VLTOR receiver extension that is angled at the rear.

I think you're talking about something else.

The OP is talking about an RE that threads into the lower at an untrue angle.

bleaman225
07-31-10, 14:05
I guess it doesn't matter if the bolt carrier moves freely inside the tube...besides, there is no fix if the threads are cut wrong...right?

Slip a pipe over the RE and bend that shit back straight...
J/K :suicide2:

magsig
07-31-10, 14:48
The tilt is so slight that I can't rule out optical illusion. It looks perfectly straight from side...and from different angles. I guess it is no big deal. The reason I asked is because I was wondering if the tilt was intentional to put the stock slightly higher on the shoulder. I've never seen the "tilt" on rifle stocks and wondered if it was a carbine thing.

Caeser25
07-31-10, 17:07
place a ruler on it?

arizonaranchman
07-31-10, 17:31
Hmmmm... Interesting post. Just checked my BCM and it's straight.