PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23's for the FBI

Slater
07-29-10, 22:08
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=77271265748bc6490e3706eab459b986&tab=core&_cview=1

Looking at the above document, Glocks seem to be well established with the FBI. Has the M&P series ever been tested by them?

cathellsk
07-30-10, 00:03
2,963 each Glock Model 23 pistol, with smooth trigger, extended slide stop, medium magazine catch, tritium sights, 6 magazines

I like that they pick the smooth trigger. I know I prefer it. This is the seldom heard of FBI mag catch. I believe it led Vickers to design his or the other way around, can't remember at the moment. Someone correct me if they remember.

I "heard" somewhere on this site or another recently that the FBI has started issuing the G23 instead of the G22. This is mostly because they have suspended the program where agents could aquire their own pistols from an authorized list leaving them stuck with the G22 they were issued at Quantico. When your mostly wearing suits a G23 is easier to conceal.

The last authorized pistols were mostly Glocks. G17, G19, G26, G22 (standard issue), G23, G27, and G21. The only SIG still authorized was the P229 in .40.

John_Wayne777
07-30-10, 07:07
The Vickers mag catch preceeded the Glock "medium" mag catch. It wouldn't be the first time that a gun company stole an innovation from somebody out there in the market.

SWATcop556
07-30-10, 10:58
Having shot one of the medium mag releases, the Vickers TD model is still much better. Especially with the beveled edges.

Eliakim
08-03-10, 18:33
Well lets see, it says; "Contract Award Dollar Amount: $948,160.00" and thats for 2,963 units.

Yawza! brand new Glock G23's with night sights, extra gizmos and 6 magazines for only $320 each. It sounds like the sorry USA taxpayers are finally getting some BANG for their bucks! :D

I wonder if the FBI is hiring a couple thousand more agents, or if they are going to issue these new G23's to agents who are currently carrying other guns

MadcapMagician
08-03-10, 19:19
The Vickers mag catch preceeded the Glock "medium" mag catch. It wouldn't be the first time that a gun company stole an innovation from somebody out there in the market.

Any establishment on timelines for this? I've got it on pretty good authority that the part has been around since the FBI was issuing Glocks.

mosrogfor
08-03-10, 20:15
Any establishment on timelines for this? I've got it on pretty good authority that the part has been around since the FBI was issuing Glocks.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=638751

Post #38 pretty much explains the timeline.

MadcapMagician
08-03-10, 20:56
10-4. Interesting other side to it. Sucks to have an idea stolen. I have a buddy face the same problem with another design.

Seawolf
08-03-10, 22:27
So what happened to Sig? I knew the Marshals issued Glocks, but the FBI has been issuing Sigs for years. I'm sure they will appreciate the lighter weight Glocks though.

As far as agencies looking at the M&P it all comes down to price per gun when dealing with large agencies. The M&P is gaining a lot of popularity within the local and State agencies, but it's only really been on the scene since 06.
Give it a few more years and I think you will see the M&P show up with a few more Govt agencies, but again it all comes down to cost.
When our agency switched to the M&P40 I think it cost around $250 per Officer for the gun, 3 mags, and the LvlIII safariland holster. Our SWAT guys got a Tac light thrown in on theirs.

cathellsk
08-03-10, 23:35
So what happened to Sig? I knew the Marshals issued Glocks, but the FBI has been issuing Sigs for years.

The FBI has been issuing Glocks since '98-'99 timeframe. They've actually been issuing them longer than they ever did SIGs. There are/were SIGs authorized, but issued, its been awhile.

HK45
08-04-10, 00:43
10-4. Interesting other side to it. Sucks to have an idea stolen. I have a buddy face the same problem with another design.

A mag catch that is a little longer than the standard and a little shorter than the extended is not exactly a huge leap in innovation.

nickdrak
08-04-10, 03:14
Are these Gen 3 or Gen 4 G23's they are getting?

jdavis6576
08-04-10, 06:40
I know someone who graduated from the academy two years ago and he was issued a G23. As I recall, he said his class was the first to be issued the G23 instead of the G22. We discussed Gen4s last weekend and he said "I'm sure they won't replace mine with one of those." He's left-handed so the ambi mag release would be a benefit to him. He also said they are hiring "quite a few more agents", whatever that means.

MadcapMagician
08-04-10, 08:13
A mag catch that is a little longer than the standard and a little shorter than the extended is not exactly a huge leap in innovation.

But ze Austrians are a vittle hardheaded about ze wunder pistol.

John_Wayne777
08-04-10, 13:31
As far as agencies looking at the M&P it all comes down to price per gun when dealing with large agencies. The M&P is gaining a lot of popularity within the local and State agencies, but it's only really been on the scene since 06.

The M&P is actually a candidate in an ongoing testing process for a large federal contract...so even that may change relatively soon.