PDA

View Full Version : Surefire E2L AA Outdoorsman

rob_s
07-30-10, 07:04
(I just know I'm going to regret this, but...)

E2L AA Outdoorsman Dual-Output LED (http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=6&prrfnbr=25133&sesent=0,0&search_id=2170877)

write up on tactical-life.com here (http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/surefire-e2l-aa-led-flashlight/?hp=products_title)

Anyone have any actual hands-on? Between the switching method and the battery type, not to mention runtime, it seems like it would make a good general utility light. Even better than the standard models perhaps. Given the size I don't know that I'd walk around with it as an EDC in my pocket, but otherwise it looks interesting.

Output / Runtime*
High 80.0 lumens / 9 hours**
Low 3.0 lumens / 60 hours**
Length 6.60 inches
Bezel Diameter 1.00 inches
Weight w/Batteries 4.9 ounces
Batteries 2 AA lithium (included) or AA alkaline

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/E2LAA_hand.png

(please keep the commentary on other brands and alternate lights to yourself. I'm interested in hands-on experience with this light and this light only)

Fringe
07-30-10, 12:02
Have it and its newer version. Love them both and they are great all purpose lights.

Dennis
07-30-10, 12:31
I still can't believe SF made an AA light after all their years of CR123 lithium advocacy. I guess AA lithiums can bridge that gap now. It would seem they gave in to the demands of the market...

I have not actually used one but if you are OK with the long, thin mini-maglite format and UI then how could you go wrong with SF? A low level and long runtime are are what make a general use light nowadays.

I am huge advocate of having a good AA LED light in your carry bag when you travel, especially overseas. You will always be able to find batteries!

Dennis.

rob_s
07-30-10, 12:40
Have it and its newer version. Love them both and they are great all purpose lights.

Maybe I'm missing something, but there was an older version of the AA model? I thought this was new territory for SF?

beavo451
08-03-10, 17:06
Maybe I'm missing something, but there was an older version of the AA model? I thought this was new territory for SF?

I would like elanoration as well. The only light that I am aware of that took AA batteries before this one was the Saint headlamp.

jjw
08-03-10, 17:43
Rob
i got a dozen in 2 weeks ago. kept 2 for me and mine rest all gone. some orders are dated form the shot show. as u know s/f shows 30 and builds 5 MAYBE.

80 lumens and not so sure its a tactical light buuuut. its great for the outdoorsman who is in the woods a lot, i am, so it works for me. 60 hrs i think run time at 3 lumnens. enuff to see a trail in the woods. tape 2 AA batteries to it. u are gtg for several days of getting unlost and signaling. a red filter is nice but i dont have 1 yet, or just cellophane paper.

i think its a great light (for me) but s/f just came with some high out put 6-ps in l.e.d. thay will announce to the public in 2-3 weeks, so i dont see its tactical value.

good luck

b

RD62
08-03-10, 19:33
I'm afraid I don't have anything to add other than I really like the concept of this light.

My general duty light is an older Surefire L2. This new offering seems similar with it's dual output, but I really like the AA power. Very easy and inexpensive to find in a pinch.

I'm interested to see a hands on opinion.

-RD62

Moose-Knuckle
08-03-10, 21:05
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but. . .

For that price I can get four Streamlight PT 2AA and a pack of AA lithiums or three Streamlight PT 2L and 21 CR123As.

Streamlight PT™ 2AA

• High, low and strobe modes
• C4 LED illumination output and run times:
HIGH - 120 lumens/1.75 Hour
LOW - 14 lumens/21 Hours
STROBE - 4 Hours
• Includes 2 AA alkaline batteries
• Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life
• Rubber push button tail cap switch
• IPX7 rated design; waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
• Impact-resistant tempered glass lens
• Unbreakable pocket clip
• Anti-roll head
• Includes nylon holster

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=184

SGTMAJ
08-04-10, 07:59
If anyone has the streamlight new PT-AA and the SF I would l would like to see a head to head review.

Moose-Knuckle
08-04-10, 15:43
If anyone has the streamlight new PT-AA and the SF I would l would like to see a head to head review.

You may want to go and check out candle power forum and see if anyone is going to do a review of these lights. Both lights are new so doubt anyone has both of them yet.

IRONFINS
08-05-10, 19:12
I am wondering the same question. I wonder, I have seen a huge surge in other companies making similar flashlights like Surefires for a fraction of the cost. I have tried some other lights and they seem good enough for most users. After all, its nice that a Surefire can stop a bullet or have a truck run over it, but who really needs a flashlight to stop a bullet or survive a truck? I think its a bad sign for Surefire that Streamlight, who use to be overpriced just like Surefire to now be a lot cheaper for similar or more lumens. I think I will be ordering a PT 2AA for work. Buying batteries (CR123) for my surefire or my Olight is eating me up each month, after all I am not using it as a Tactical light as much as a light to search vehicles........

Matt Edwards
08-05-10, 19:53
Rob,
Even we agree that it's "kinda long". For me, it's a bit of an issue when wearing jeans (I'm short), but in cargo/work pants, not a problem. It was created to fill a spacific nitch. I think it does it well. You can always find AAs. Customers asked for it, they got it.

Robb Jensen
08-05-10, 20:01
I have two of these. I'm liking them a lot. Sure they're bigger but overall it's a great light. I wouldn't even mind seeing a 1 AA cell version. Even if it were only 3 lumens and 60 lumens. For hunting and general purpose it would be good.

Matt Edwards
08-05-10, 20:45
I wouldn't even mind seeing a 1 AA cell version.

Hmmm, I've heard that before...;)

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-10, 13:42
I wouldn't even mind seeing a 1 AA cell version. Even if it were only 3 lumens and 60 lumens. For hunting and general purpose it would be good.

Streamlight PT™ 1AA

• High, low and strobe modes
• C4 LED illumination output and run times:
HIGH - 50 lumens/1 Hour
LOW - 6 lumens/22 Hours
STROBE - 4 Hours
• Includes 1 AA alkaline battery
• Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life
• Rubber push button tail cap switch
• IPX7 rated design; waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
• Impact-resistant tempered glass lens
• Unbreakable pocket clip
• Anti-roll head
• Includes nylon holster

https://www.flashlightdistributor.com/Streamlight.aspx?Streamlight=88032

HETZ1313
09-14-10, 22:59
Nice some rechargeable AA'S ready to go

ra2bach
09-15-10, 12:33
I wouldn't even mind seeing a 1 AA cell version.

Hmmm, I've heard that before...;)

not to crap in your punchbowl but I've got a Leatherman branded Fenix single AA that I keep on my keychain. it's plenty bright at a rated 98 lumens and the bezel twists to access a second mode at 16 lumens. very handy...

no, it's not a surefire but for the price I was able to get three of them.

GhostB14
11-28-10, 16:48
I carry one of the "123" e2l lights every day and as a mechanic I chew through quite a few batteries with it, this light looks good to me as I know the boss would supply my AA batteries. The guys at work pick on me for using such an expensive light, but my E2L never goes down like the cheaper brands they buy. I just need a steady supply of pocket clips which SF has done well to keep up with my demand ;)