PDA

View Full Version : Your "general purpose" rifle setup

Crow Hunter
07-30-10, 08:45
If you had to walk out of your front door right now and not come back for a while, what rifle would you take? This could be for whatever reason you can think of but whatever that reason, you need to take a rifle to defend yourself and family.

I don't have alot of experience with different setups so I would like to see what others (with more experience/knowledge that I) would take if they had to leave home for an extended period of time.

Please include your reasoning, if you have any, for your choice.

I'll start:

Stock Colt 6920

TR24 Green Triangle in LT 104 mount - I like the variable option and diopter adjustments on the TR24 especially as my eyes are changing as I get older.

Surefire 6P mounted on MI FSB Mount. - I like having the forward mounted light, I have never tried any rails.

BFG Victory sling - I have tried a jury rigged 1-point before and I didn't like it. I have an old 3pt sling for my Benelli and I really didn't like it either. My old AKS-762 has had a basic 2pt sling on it since I bought it and I liked it.

Troy BUIS - Only other folding sight I have tried was a MBUS and I didn't like them.

LMTRocks
07-30-10, 08:52
My AR pistol. Hides in plain view in a gym bag. 28" long. 25rds of 123gr. TLR-1. Aimpoint Comp M2 4moa. BUG to that would be the 16" rifle I built with a 4-12x40 Leupy Rifleman.

ghostman1960
07-30-10, 09:25
This and 25 loaded mags.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/ghostman1960/DSCF0316.jpg

ra2bach
07-30-10, 10:07
I've had this discussion with myself and I came to the conclusion that whatever it was, I was going to concentrate on (1) reliability and (2) maximum utility.

I'd also like to keep it as light as is reasonable so I started with a complete 16" BCM lightweight middy upper with FSP. I have a Troy MRF-M free float rail on my standard weight middy now but the combination is a bit heavy so I'll be looking at a lighter weight alternative... maybe the MOE-M HG when they come out.

I really like the AFG that's on my standard weight middy now and a white light is a must plus a sling attachment point, so I'll be experimenting a little with handguard/rail options.

For optics I see great utility in having a variable optic of some sort with a folding BUIS but I'm not sure which would be better, a 1-4 or a RDS with magnifier. looking for input on that...

I've got a RR lower (just because the anodizing matches so nicely :D ) with Stag LPK (good feeling trigger) and MOE grip with a tiny bottle of Machinegunners lube in the storage compartment, a CMT RE, H buffer, and a CS blue (I think) spring.

I believe in keeping stuff I need for the gun, on the gun, so in spite of the additional weight, I like an Emod stock so I have room to store batts and various spares. while it is a bit heavier, it balances out nicely so I accept that compromise.

anyway, that's my version. feel free to add suggestions...

TWR
07-30-10, 10:13
One of these
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/TOM64/19.jpg
Colt pencil barrels 1/7 twist, Leupold 1.5-5 scopes in LaRue mounts, LaRue rails. They do most all of what I need to do and don't weigh a ton.

sevin8nin
07-30-10, 11:55
Of my two rifles, and shotgun, I would be grabbing for my RRA CARa4. It's a carbine length, with a FF rail over a Lw barrel. MBUS rear, aimpoint T-1 in larue mount, and surefire scout light. With the magpul furniture the whole thing weighs 7.5lbs empty. Compared to my other rifle (SW m&p15t) this thing is light. My SW also has an aimpoint plus magnifier and an m951 light. Of the two they both shoot fine for me, and operate at 100%, but that's only been at the most 300 rounds at a time.

So, at the moment that's what I would grab, mainly because of the weight and ease of use, however my next rifle purchase is going to be an LMT or a noveske and will be intended to be a SHTF gun.

COLT6933
07-30-10, 12:18
Colt 6933 with the following
Aimpoint T1
LaRue 7.0
Surefire 556AR
Troy BUIS
Surefire M600LED

Marty916
07-30-10, 12:23
Since you are on the subject of a grab and go rifle, what are the thoughts on the need for night vision capability on a SHTF rifle? Zombies do prowl after dark and I haven't noticed much traffic on this aspect.

rob_s
07-30-10, 12:24
One of these
image (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/TOM64/19.jpg)
Colt pencil barrels 1/7 twist, Leupold 1.5-5 scopes in LaRue mounts, LaRue rails. They do most all of what I need to do and don't weigh a ton.

Similar approach, different manifestation. It's been updated a bit a long the way in the 3+ years since this was taken, but the concept is still there, and still sound.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/two%20carbines/DSC_1756-Small.jpg

Failure2Stop
07-30-10, 12:26
My GP rifle is a BCM 16" middie: VTAC 13" TRX Extreme, SF G2, Troy BUIS, TD stubby, VCAS 2-pt, MIAD, and ACS.
I think the really interesting thing about GP guns is optics choice.
Right now it is wearing an XPS3-2, but if I thought I might be out for more than a month I would want my T-1 or a COG.
I think that 3x magnifiers are a good thing to have for 1x optics.
I like low-powered variables, but I am waiting for something particular before I dump what I currently have.

rob_s
07-30-10, 12:33
You make a good point re: optics. Frankly that's what makes the difference in "general purpose" for a lot of folks. RDS are seen more as short range, too much magnification is long range, so the low-powered variables or magnifiers for the RDS come into play. I agree that an RDS with magnifier is a great solution, especially in something like the Larue mount that allows you to both tip it out of the way and remove it completely depending on need.

Crow Hunter
07-30-10, 13:00
My GP rifle is a BCM 16" middie: VTAC 13" TRX Extreme, SF G2, Troy BUIS, TD stubby, VCAS 2-pt, MIAD, and ACS.
Right now it is wearing an XPS3-2, but if I thought I might be out for more than a month I would want my T-1 or a COG.
I like low-powered variables, but I am waiting for something particular before I dump what I currently have.

Is this "something particular" from Trijicon that I keep seeing obscure references to beta testing here and there?:secret:

Any idea when it might be released for general consumption?:ph34r:

jjw
07-30-10, 13:03
11.5 d.d. 1/7 w/surefire connector
d.d. 9" for end. real estate needs.
surefire 6-p
xtra bulbs& batteries.
any good flat top
any good bolt
small spares kit.
d.d. sight fixed /up at all times.
aim point m-4s
aim point magnifier
sure fire can
any sling
insight atpial (??) laser zeroed for 100 yds.
30 mags of t.a.p. 75 gr. each gun.
2 of these sit in my gun safe clean and ready to go
dont shoot , strictly o.t.d.

yea short barrels cut down on velocity. do i care NO
want to swing it in close places?? ABSOLUTELY.
so i drop 150 fps big deal. the guy u kill will never know.

started doing this for over 40 years ago. off and on. when i was not in the private sector. never had it this good.

KTR03
07-30-10, 13:06
Steyr Aug A3. 26.5 inches long, ready to fire, without extending/unfolding the stock. About 20 inches long if I take the barrel out. T1 Aimpoint. Surefire light. 42 round magazines.

If discretion was not part of the equation, I'd take my FAL with the 1-4 trijicon and my HVT can.

ruddyhair
07-30-10, 15:06
BCM 16" mid-length, Troy BUIS, Gunfighter CH, variable scope.

In the process of thinking through a lightweight 16.25" go-to FAL. Like the idea of a heavier round and penetration to cover the unknowns. I also like the durability and track record of the rifle. Downside means carrying less with heavier rounds etc. May be a decent compromise.

William B.
07-30-10, 15:14
Colt 6920 with 11" Troy TRX, Surefire G2 in V-Tac Mount, EOTech 552, BDA Tactical 2-in-1 Sling w/ASAP, Vltor Modstock with 3 123's and 2 AA's, MI forward sling mount, Magpul BUIS, MOE grip, and KAC vertical grip. That's an old pic. Obviously I've made some changes.

FChen17213
07-30-10, 15:40
If I could get anything I wanted, I would get a Colt 6920 with DD Lite Rail, Surefire X300, Tango Down Stubby, Magpul ACS Stock, MS-2 Sling, PEQ-15 to be used with NODS, S&B Shortdot, Geissele Service Trigger, and 10 PMags. What might be just as important if not more important would be your rig that you have set up including your vest, loadout with sidearms, nightvision and knives, etc etc.

Quiet-Matt
07-30-10, 15:47
BCM 14.5", DD BCG, Vortex FH, Aimpoint Micro, Surefire G2 LED on an Aero Precision lower. M7 bayonet - hey why not (it stays on my back pack at work):blink: This carbine stays staged in front of the others in the safe along with a go bag full of P-mags, batteries and an ammo can marked "ICE". The ammo can is loaded with 4 - 200 rd sealed "battle packs" of 5.56 and 200 rds of pistol ammo. I keep the SHTF items marked so that my wife can grab them and go in the event that I'm not home to meet up with me.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S-bRhqem2ZI/AAAAAAAAF74/9gkqs7MIIY8/s720/mms_picture.jpg

TehLlama
07-30-10, 15:48
Daniel Defense Lightweight 14.5"/A2X
VTAC 9.0 Extreme Rail, DD Front Sight, GSSA, MagPul MBUS/MIAD/XTM/MVG/BAD/ASAP/ACS
Aimpoint H-1/ADM Mount and SureFire X300
7lb rifle loaded

KAC SR15E3 16"/A2
MagPul XTM/AFG/MIAD/BAD/ASAP
SureFire M300 on GearSector Offset
Vortex ViperPST 1-4x on LaRue SPR-104
-- All these parts ordered, this will be my other multipurpose rifle

The first one has a 10.5"/OPS 14th clone (identical parts except barrel, CTR vs ACS)
The second one has a Centurion Mk12/OPS M4S clone (identical parts except barrel, GSSA vs KAC Match)

shootist~
07-30-10, 16:39
After reading The Road I think I'll just stay at home.

ST911
07-30-10, 17:02
My EDC/GP is a Colt 6720 w/ RDS, light, plus ammo. A variety of discreet cases are on hand to fit various venues. I've had to leave home with little to no notice, for an unknown amount of time, for professional and personal reasons. I would like to switch over to an SBR for that ap, but it wouldn't be legally everywhere I might go.

JeepDriver
07-30-10, 18:48
BCM 11.5" with Aim Point & YHM Can

dead nuts reliable, as accurate as I am, light weight (with suppressor removed) and will eat anything.

ROCKET20_GINSU
07-30-10, 20:12
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp6339%3A%3Enu%3D6698%3E956%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A9945975348nu0mrj

My build:
LMT 14.5 in. upper w/ KAC flash suppressor
LMT defender lower
Troy Free float rail
TD QD VFG
Aimpoint ML2 in Larue mount w/ extra battery inside mount
YHM BUIS
Surefire X300 at 12 o'clock position
MIAD grip
CTR stock
VTAC sling
200m zero on RDS and BUIS

This rifle is relatively light, very good handling and carries well because there is alot of hand placement options. The padded sling makes patrolling type movement much more pleasant. I am a huge fan of RDS for GP applications because it is very versatile. It can be used up close where you definitely need it to work and can work at 200-400m depending on the shooter proficiency and tgt size. With the 2 batteries I've got on the gun I have a runtime of 2+ yrs. Realistically though I don't see myself taking any shots as a civilian past 200m.

GU

Rude Robert
07-30-10, 20:27
:jester:

Everything else from the original post was removed... I left the clown because, well, it just seemed to say it all.

IrishDevil
07-31-10, 00:20
My current main GP rifle, the one I'm comfortable with for most any use is:

Noveske 16" N4 upper w/:
Troy TRX Extreme 11" FDE
PWS FSC556
Troy BUIS

Lower:
GSSA trigger
MIAD
Ambi Safety
BFG Redi-Mod
Vltor E-Mod

Optic:
TR24G in Larue mount

Accessories:
Surefire G2LED in Vltor offset
Padded VCAS

I haven't checked the weight lately, but it's certainly not a light set-up. I'm currently putting another upper together with a lightweight 14.5" mid-length barrel and the stock will change to a CTR. The TR24 has almost become an Aimpoint replacement for me. Mainly due to my familiarity with using low power variable scopes for 3-Gun.

Bobert0989
07-31-10, 04:00
Hate to say, but right now I would have to grab the MSAR and 10-or-so mags (if we're running out the door), since most of my AR components remain "components" until I decide what I want to shoot that day. I'd give my wife the .45 Kimber and the Sig P226, and I'd grab the backpack of rounds for those two. Hopefully the little boy is asleep at this point... it's easier to get him in the car that way, lol.

If I've got time to slap one together, I'd grab the RRA built lower with ACS and the 14.5" upper w/ pinned brake. Mainly because the RRA I have consists of the most reliable parts of any lower I have now, and is one of only two COMPLETED at this time. Upper-wise, it's either the 14.5, the 16", or the 20" build to choose from. The 14.5", like the lower choice, is the "better quality" of build.

Can I snatch the duffel bag with the 1800 or so .223 on the way out too?:smile:

Magic_Salad0892
07-31-10, 07:08
KAC 11.5'' + KAC QDSS-NT4 Suppressor
Glock 17 + AAC Ti-RANT

That for me. Is enough.

RogerinTPA
07-31-10, 09:58
If I were to leave and not come back for 12+ months or more, it would be a "RECCE" type setup. A "quality" 16 inch AR (light barrel, midlength preferred), with a light, padded sling, a light weight Blue Force Gear Redi-mag, and a quality 1x4 variable powered scope with a cat tail, backed up with a spare RDS like a T-1 or H-1, in case the 1x4 scope went down.

arizonaranchman
07-31-10, 11:49
I always like my rifles SHORT, LIGHT and SIMPLE.

My 16" BCM middy, ideally with a T1 and Troy folding BUIS. My SureFire Scout on a compact MI picatinny mount on the left side of the front sight (thanks for the tip on that one RobS works great). The sling is just a simple 2-point carry sling

I prefer 20 rd PMags, so plenty of those. The stowaway grip has spare gas rings, spare firing pin (and retaining pin) and when I get my T1 (hopefully in the next few months) will have a spare battery also.

I live in a remote rural area in the mtns of the high desert, so no need to bug out anyplace cuz I live in a place most would want to bug out to, just hunker down and repel any threats that might wander too near.

My BCM is always within arm's reach, it goes everyplace with me around my little ranch and in the truck when I go someplace. Generally it's for plinking at rocks or steel plates on my range, predators, pests and for mtn lion protection (been attacked by one once before). I've been very pleased with the 16" middy. So far this one wears A2 iron sights with carry handle, but a T1 on a QD LaRue mount will be in it's future when I can get the $$$ together.

PA PATRIOT
07-31-10, 15:12
Original Post Removed

You may wish to re-evaluate your maturity for posting on this forum. M-4Carbine.net is a adult forum discussing serious subjects of self defense and weapon/ammunition selection. I understand there is a learning curve but the above post is just wrong on so many levels. :stop:

jwfuhrman
08-02-10, 09:44
After reading The Road I think I'll just stay at home.

+1

Id rather just stay home, and if I end up not making it in a situation like the one from the Road.... is it really worth it any ways? I have no kids, or significant other. Id just stay home and keep alive as long as possible.

Id rather die at home, than live on the run

But to keep with the premise of the thread:

12.5in BCM SBR with my 1-4x24 Burris XTR and my 75gr BTHP load.

High Desert
08-02-10, 13:06
I would take my light weight 16" BCM middy and my wife would take her 16" RR carbine. Both have iron sights and TRL-1 lights without optics.

Like many have mentioned, I would have to be desperate to leave my rural property with a wife and two little ones. I would rather hunker down with a stocked pantry and the scoped .308......

HD

was21
08-02-10, 14:43
In the process of thinking through a lightweight 16.25" go-to FAL. Like the idea of a heavier round and penetration to cover the unknowns. I also like the durability and track record of the rifle. Downside means carrying less with heavier rounds etc. May be a decent compromise.

Maybe like this?.....
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/gatoraz/FNcarbineT1.jpg

Also have a Leupold 1.5-5 zeroed up on a Larue QD mount for it.

wes out... inAZ

Jerm
08-02-10, 15:45
16" LMT
TA33G-H in LT mount
DD Omega rails
G2L body with TNV LED upgrade in a VLTOR offset mount
Geissele SSA trigger
Basic camo paint job(tan base,with green and brown).
...MIAD grip(spare bolt),VTAC 2-pt.

This is assuming I'd be in staying in the area(SWVA mountains).This is my most versatile set-up.

Savior 6
08-02-10, 16:24
My DSA FAL para if I was not coming back for awhile. I have an old Elbit on it and when batteries are not available I would just go to irons. If it was The Road situation...... Prepare for blasphemy.... It would be my PS90, because I could carry a lot of light ammo in a small space. That movie can spook a person.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-02-10, 19:27
the rifle I have... a 16in BCM middy.

tpd223
08-02-10, 21:49
You may wish to re-evaluate your maturity for posting on this forum. M-4Carbine.net is a adult forum discussing serious subjects of self defense and weapon/ammunition selection. I understand there is a learning curve but the above post is just wrong on so many levels. :stop:

Agreed.

My current patrol rifle is my go-to gun, Colt 16", Sure Fire rail, X300 light, T1 on LaRue mount, Mag Pul MAID grip, VLTOR Clubfoot stock, lots of P-Mags.

Juice5610
08-04-10, 15:48
Krinkov AK47 with a modified Utimak rail and a Aimpont T1

MTR7
08-04-10, 18:55
Well that is tough, AK, AR, SBR or what. It thinks my 762x51 scout. After all my chances off combat are low.

ruddyhair
08-06-10, 11:26
Yep - Exactly like that. Keep it basic. Fixed stock, Micro etc.

Nice rifle

Maybe like this?.....
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/gatoraz/FNcarbineT1.jpg

Also have a Leupold 1.5-5 zeroed up on a Larue QD mount for it.

wes out... inAZ

akxj
08-07-10, 07:24
hopefully getting a nightforce for it soon....

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/akxj/0623001513.jpg

and here's my dirty dirty truck gun...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/akxj/36980_1506986914548_1230564128_3148.jpg

2000rds, never been cleaned and still eats whatever i feed it....

NavyDavy55
08-07-10, 10:04
BCM 16" middy upper
Aero Precision stripped lower
Hogue pistol grip
AR15 Lower Parts Kit (semi) DPMS
Geissele Triggers Super Semi-Automatic Small Pin .154
MAG417-MOE TRIGGER GUARD-BLACK
CTR AR-15 STOCK (MIL SPEC TUBE)
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto (IONBOND Finish)
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle with Mod 4 Latch (MEDIUM)
Stock Hardware Mounting Kit (Mil-Spec) - H Buffer
Troy Rear Folding Battle Sight Black
Troy Drop In Mid Length BattleRail
Specter Gear CQB Sling

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ShipAhoy/AR15/MyAR1.jpg

BSHNT2015
08-07-10, 12:22
My Colt 6920, a spare upper 6.8mm caliber with min 4 mags, a HK 45 or Glock 9mm, I have both, SF light X300 which can be mounted on my rails-rifle and pistol. My scope is the ACOG with Docter RDS-may change out to the Trijicon TR24. All this tucked into my BUG out bag from Eberlestock.

Marty-Nightvision scope, whatever I can grab from work;)

sandsunsurf
08-09-10, 00:26
My Battle Born lower with 16" upper, ACOG and iron sights, quad rail, AFG, light, Magpul ASAP and MS-2 sling, and Gemtech can. Zeroed at 100 yds.

I'm surprised that there aren't more people thinking about the suppressor. Almost the most important piece of the equation, in my mind. If I didn't think multiple shot capability were so important, I'd be inclined to take my suppressed Remington 700 LTR in .223. It's a tackdriver, and easily reaches out to 600 yds. It's also zeroed at 100 yards. Not to hijack the thread, but odd to me that people zero at other than 100...

Rude Robert
08-09-10, 07:49
Robert - Please Check Your Private Messages

tpd223
08-09-10, 12:41
but odd to me that people zero at other than 100...

Not to get too far off of the OP, but since many here seem to be picking an AR of some type to use as a GP rifle...

I zero my ARs in .223/5.56, and many other of my guns, at the 50 to maximize my "maximum point blank" trajectory.

With the .223 AR a 50 yard zero puts it back on at the 200 to 225-ish, and just a bit high at the 100, a very useful zero that maximizes the flat shooting nature of the .223 round.

Basically with a .223 AR and a 50 yard zero you are +/- 2" from point blank to the 250 (assuming 16' to 20" guns), a 100 yard zero means the round is dropping after the 100. With the 50 yard zero I find that a neck hold at the 300 means a good solid hit, with a 100 yard zero you have to hold over (300 being about as far as I can see an iron sighted or red dot equipped AR being viable in real life).

All of the big game gun zeros (talking deer rifles here, lets say .243 to 30-06 or so and everything in that class of rounds) I have seen maximize the "maximum point blank" by using a zero at the 100 that is 2" to 3" high, this means the bullet hits within the vital zone on a deer from really close to almost or at 300 yards.

Even with shorter ARs, like the 10" guns, ect., you don't lose anything with the 50 yard zero except how far you get before the bullets crosses line of sight again, so it still works for those guns as well.

On this note, Paul Howe advocates a 3" high zero at the 100, works for him. I note that many of the same advantages he speaks of apply to the 50 yard/2" high at the 100 zero I spoke of. He does a good job in this article of showing why the 100 yard POA=POI zero isn't the best way to maximize the AR .223 system.

Article here;
http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/published/thebattlefieldzerofullpictures.pdf

nsnate02
08-09-10, 16:30
I'd carry my Saiga converted AK. I'd let my wife carry the POF-USA 16" and let the kids carry the CMMG .22 conversion bolt, mag and ammo. I figure that covers all the bases and lets me scrounge several varieties of ammo if I run out.

If I can have only one ..... well, that's tough. I would probably grab the AK simply because I don't have to worry about maintenance or breakage and I like the larger caliber. In TN there aren't many practical shots over 100 yrds.

uscbigdawg
08-09-10, 20:19
Scary how many similarities there are. I'll throw my two Lincoln's in:

- Anyone's lower (quality of course)
- Ambi safety
- Decent trigger job
- VLTOR stock
- FT upper w/ EOTech (any that run AA batteries), Back up rear sight
- Standard FSB
- 14.5" carbine or mid length gas, medium contour 1:9 twist
- Surefire suppressor adapter w/ can or YHM comp/suppressor
- AMS Machine free float carbine rail

Clean and simple.

Rich

Biz Kizzle
08-15-10, 17:54
yeah mine would be something like this:

- quality lower from (your brand here)
- lightweight BCM upper 16" with either a troy trx 11 or DD light 10"
- battle comp
- quality single stage trigger
- Vltor a5 stock or maybe UBR
- troy buis
- tr24 with green triangle in Larue mount

probably replace the a2 grip and such. nice 2 pt sling would top it off. that's my next upper once i get funds..

Huntindoc
08-17-10, 09:51
Well now for something completely different.

My BUG is a Winchester .44mag lever gun. With a flip up peep hole sight. No electronics to go down.

I figure it will serve double duty for defense against just about all critters as well as hunting everything from birds (with shot cart.) to large game. I carry 2x 100rd boxes with an assortment of rounds from shot to 44. specials to Cor-Bon 305gr penetrators.

Crow Hunter
08-17-10, 12:50
Well now for something completely different.

My BUG is a Winchester .44mag lever gun. With a flip up peep hole sight. No electronics to go down.

I figure it will serve double duty for defense against just about all critters as well as hunting everything from birds (with shot cart.) to large game. I carry 2x 100rd boxes with an assortment of rounds from shot to 44. specials to Cor-Bon 305gr penetrators.

Now that is something that I haven't thought of. Have you used a shot cartridge on birds? How does it do? My only experience with shot out of a rifled barrel wasn't very good.

One of the thoughts that I have always had in the back of my mind related to subsistence hunting is that most of the large game will be gone/become very difficult to hunt extremely quickly, smaller game though, like squirrels and various game birds (and non game for that matter) will take longer to thin out and don't require preservation. Take out vs dine in. :jester: While you can, take small game with a .22, it is alot more difficult compared to say a shotgun. Growing up if we went squirrel hunting for fun or to show off, we took a .22, when we went to supply a barbecue, we took shotguns. Right now, I don't plan on hunting anything, just defending my stash of peanut butter and pork 'n beans, but it is food for thought.

Very interesting.

KevlarSniper
08-17-10, 13:02
The Henry U.S. Survival rifle is ultra-lightweight, weighing in at a scant 2.5 pounds. The unique design allows the rifle to break down easily into three pieces in seconds. This enables the barrel, action and two 8-round magazines to fit comfortably into the tough ABS synthetic waterproof stock. No tools are needed to assemble or disassemble. Once disassembled and stowed, it is only an incredible 16 inches long. Carry it in your backpack with room to spare.
To assemble, simply attach the receiver to the stock, insert the barrel, screw on the barrel nut and you’re ready to fire. In seconds, you’ll have the security of a semi-automatic rifle without the bulk and weight of a full size firearm

PA PATRIOT
08-18-10, 12:40
The Henry U.S. Survival rifle is ultra-lightweight, weighing in at a scant 2.5 pounds. The unique design allows the rifle to break down easily into three pieces in seconds. This enables the barrel, action and two 8-round magazines to fit comfortably into the tough ABS synthetic waterproof stock. No tools are needed to assemble or disassemble. Once disassembled and stowed, it is only an incredible 16 inches long. Carry it in your backpack with room to spare.
To assemble, simply attach the receiver to the stock, insert the barrel, screw on the barrel nut and you’re ready to fire. In seconds, you’ll have the security of a semi-automatic rifle without the bulk and weight of a full size firearm

I have own a few of these .22LR and they are very ammo sensitive and accuracy is below average when compared to other commercial .22LR rifles. I did like the compact almost maintenance free aspect when the gun was stored in its stock but I replaced mine with folding stock Ruger 10/22's sealed in a super heavy duty plastic storage bags. The Ruger is hand over fist a Superior tool and the 30rd to 50rd high cap magazines seal the deal.

Huntindoc
08-18-10, 14:17
Crow Hunter,
I have not used the bird shot on birds but have on several rodents, snakes and even a possum. Did pretty well in all cases. I also patterned it at about 7-10yds and noticed a dramatic difference at that range compared to a 4" Smith 29. I believe it will do the job on Dove sized birds at 10yds or so. (obviously not wing shooting them) Sport is not an issue in survival but not sure that it would be legal outside of that.

sandsunsurf
08-19-10, 01:25
After posting to this thread earlier, I realized that my GP rifle is also used regularly. It could be not quite where I'd like it to be, or not as well protected as needed, since it spends its life in and out of a soft case and in and out of my vehicle. As luck would have it, a friend wanted to sell a Pelican 1700 case today, so I picked it up and set it up for my basic Colt AR-15, mags and a box of ammo. If the SHTF and I'm out, I'll try to grab both rifles, but now I'll have a well protected and complete setup ready to rock...
http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5881&d=1282199485

kihnspiracy
08-30-10, 04:21
LMT Standard patrol model w/SOPMOD stock, Aimpoint Comp ML3, Surefire Scoutlight, padded VTAC sling. As much food, water, mags I can carry.

ghostman1960
08-30-10, 06:39
This and everything I need to keep it fed and working for awhile.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF0391-1.jpg

Barry in IN
08-31-10, 10:02
With the caveat that things would have to be pretty bad for us to leave here, I have two different lines of thought depending on whether we are driving or walking/biking out.

If walking or biking, size and weight are a factor. One of the ARs is the obvious choice, but I have also given a lot of thought to my Steyr Scout. It's no heavier. It will handle ammo that can take anything from mice to moose if it had to . Although the scope is only 2.5x, that has been enough to let me see and I.D. things I wouldn't have otherwise (and is low enough to work fairly close). The stock storage compartments hold very basic fire and shelter making supplies.

If driving, a couple pounds or so more weight won't matter but space could very easily be tight. I have been using a .308 Garand for a car gun a lot. Believe it or not, it fits into it's assigned storage cubbyhole better than an AR because it's not as tall. It won't do anything my M1A or FAL or any other .308 battle rifle will do, except use loaded clips that store easier than box magazines. Loaded Garand clips are so compact they store anywhere, singly or in groups, pockets or cupholders. The rifle itself breaks down in a few seconds to components that fit in my luggage so I can get it into a hotel without alerting the world.
If I have to shoot from my truck, I think odds are good that it will involve another vehicle and I like the idea of having a .30 cal for that.

I've been tossing another option around in my mind lately. It's along the lines of Huntindoc's plan of using a .44 Mag carbine.
I bought a Ruger 77/44 (bolt action 44 Mag) on a whim about two years ago. I don't usually like pistol caliber carbines because if I'm carrying a rifle I might as well carry a rifle caliber. But this one has grown on me. For one thing, it is enough lighter than other rifles to make it worthwhile. It's not much over five pounds. That's at least 1.5 pounds lighter than even a Marlin lever action in .357 or .44 Mag. My Steyr Scout is about as small and light as .308s go, but the 77/44 beats it easily in weight and is just a hair shorter. It's like carrying a .22 that shoots .44 Mags.
It's stainless and synthetic so maint is minimal. Ammo takes up little space. The caliber will do about anything I would need and more. It has handled every bullet I've tried, from round ball to 320 grains. If I can reload, it will stretch my powder supply because it uses little of it- less than even 5.56 with heavy loads and a quarter as much with the quiet ones. It could probably do OK with black powder if I had to use it. I usually shoot cast bullets in it, so I can make bullets for most purposes by scrounging lead wheelweights.
I also couldn't help but notice that in the WalMarts around here, even at times during the last two years when ammo was hard to come by, there was always at least one box of 44 Mags in the case.
I'm not sold on this idea yet, but considering it.

a1fabweld
08-31-10, 22:48
I'm torn between my PTR-91 & an AR. They both have their advantages. Can carry more ammo with the AR obviously. Can knock just about anything down with the PTR at much further distances. Accuracy is the same with both in my hands.

jwinch2
09-01-10, 08:17
I can't see us bugging out without a significant local threat and the distinct promise of safe haven somewhere else and the security of enough fuel to get us there. I have a deep freeze and a smoker at home so I can preserve meat and plenty of it. With that in mind, things would have to be pretty crappy before we would bug out.

If we did come to the conclusion that leaving was the best option, I would likely take multiple guns. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee which, since there are only the Mrs. and myself, can hold plenty of stuff. To be sure, I would be taking my LMT CQB MRP to which I have only made very simple mods. It has a folding rear sight from Troy and I have added a night sight insert to the front sight post. It has a forward grip from Larue and rail covers from magpul and that is it. Simple, reliable, and ready to go.

Having said all of that, I could not see myself leaving without a shotgun and side arm as well. I grew up in the mid-west and hunting birds is a great option to put food on the table. Hard to do that with a rifle. I also have at least one full ammo can for each weapon caliber that I own so I would just toss those in back of the Jeep as well.

Ratfink
09-05-10, 18:40
Work gun is my go to gun and was a great veterans day present from wifey just click images to make them bigger

http://a.imageshack.us/img824/3110/003add.th.jpg (http://img824.imageshack.us/i/003add.jpg/)
http://a.imageshack.us/img824/2321/006wk.th.jpg (http://img824.imageshack.us/i/006wk.jpg/)

GermanSynergy
09-06-10, 17:47
Carbine: Colt 6920/MSTN 16" Recce upper/ TLR 1

Optic: NF 1-4x24 in LT SPR mount

Handgun: Glock 17 Gen 3

Bug out bag with medkit / ammo / mags / rations.

mlk18
09-11-10, 22:29
Mega Machine Gator Lower
M4 profile 14.5" Del-Ton Upper
YHM FF Quad-Rail Forearm
YHM Folding BUIS
LaRue Tactical Iron Dot optic & mount
OD Green Magpul stock and grip
TLR-1S

jwfuhrman
09-24-10, 10:39
Update to my GPR.

12.5in BCM 5.56 upper (SS410 1/8 barrel)
10in Troy MRF-X
MOE Stock
MIAD
MBUS
Vortex PST 1-4x24

Ive been shooting 68gr DRS Match ammo and getting AMAZING groups out to 300yds, which, if you think about it, if the threat is more than that away from you, they arent much of a threat anymore.

If I would have to engage another "sniper" I have my Rem700 in AICS 1.5 with 26in Varmint conture barrel and 6.5x20-50 Burris Fullfield II that I have shot at 800yds accurately.

But my 12.5in SBR with the 1-4x24 optic really is my idea of a GPR. Accurate hits out to 300-400yds, while being light and small enough to not be a burden.

mgjohn
09-25-10, 21:32
Colt Shorty 16 w/10" and 14.5" barrels with Aimpoint optical sights.

peabody
10-07-10, 21:16
pencil barrel 1x9 twist 20 incher, aluminum free floater. M4 6-position stock.

plum crazy lower, luepold 3x9 scope. la'rue mount.
p-mags.

should do the trick ?

11f2d
10-09-10, 18:28
While I like my AR and Rem 870. I think I would prefere my Encore with different barrels. I can have 12GA, or 44Mag, 460, 6.8, 45/70, 22 LR, 308. Get the point. I don't need to unload 30 rounds to be in defensive mode. This set up can be carbine or pistol. I have the option of many guns by changig barrels. And there is always room for ammo.

chuck m

D Golden
10-09-10, 19:19
Folding stock AK, 7.62cal, & 7 mags. Mags are in a chest carrier and all are in a gym-style bag ready to be deployed. Worse comes to worse, if i run her dry i`ll pick up what i can from the "battlefield" God willing.

Enoc
10-09-10, 22:37
Get up and go setup... Basic LMT 14.5" with Surefire Scout and LMT iron sights, a bug bag, a 24 pack of bud light and a Glock 19. :big_boss:

99HMC4
10-09-10, 22:47
Heres my "GP" rifle. Let the flaming begin....:p
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/Hypercomp01/DSC01792.jpg

PA PATRIOT
10-10-10, 12:08

What is the optic on your rifle?

Amicus
10-10-10, 13:10
What is the optic on your rifle?

Looks like an Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x.

Beat Trash
10-10-10, 14:29

No flaming, if it's reliable, and it works for you, have at it!

Ross
10-10-10, 20:14
Old school 20" A1.

It's lightweight overall, simple, the full-length gas system and buffer work great, and the sights work for anything in the effective range.

While not the greatest platform for a scope, a carry handle mount works well enough for anything I'd need and is easy to put on and take off.

I don't have an Aimpoint, but when I get one the gooseneck mount is good enough and cowitnesses. Again, easy off and on.

While it makes the gun long, I have a YHM can that again is easy on/off for whenever I need that capability.

While not the latest thing, it does most things pretty well.

M4Fundi
10-11-10, 01:59

What muzzle device do you have on it?

aloharover
10-17-10, 10:28
Saiag 12 with a polychoke (not in photo)

#7, #4, OO, and Slugs figure I am good to go on any game here in CO, even the Zombies.

Ferris2son
10-20-10, 23:04
A little different:

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab242/ferris2son/ar9mmsbrsup.jpg

VanceW
10-21-10, 04:22
Because I live down here in Texas I'll have to say what I basically call my Truck gun/guns.

Bushmaster M4 16"bbl, with Nikon M223 2x8 scope (zero'd at 100yd) 8 30 round mags.

Ruger P85 9mm with 5 15rd mags.

This is if I can't make it back to the house right away.

devildogljb
10-22-10, 14:58
My go to rifle
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/devildogljb/m41.jpg

Savior 6
10-24-10, 12:47

FN is a good choice to me.

ggee87
10-30-10, 18:30
CMMG M4
SpikesTactical Nickel Boron BCG
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
Magpul MOE Stock, Grip and Vertical Grip and MS-2 sling.
Yankee Hill Forearm
Yankee Hill Brake/Comp. (coming monday)
Leapers LW Bipod (may end up removing)

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/ggee87/TheArsenal002.jpg

OTO27
11-05-10, 03:21

Seems like an excelent tool for gathering the meal of the day. For self defense I think the ultimate "all purpose rifle" would be an SR-25 EMC. I can hunt larger game with the round if needed to and cover a prety long range. of course I dont have this rifle yet, so I would storm out with what I have now, a 6920 and make the wife carry the MWS:D

fivefivesix
11-05-10, 10:44
here is mine assembled from all daniel defense parts
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz266/mkIII1022/SU1HMDAxMTctMjAxMDEwMjItMTYyMC5qcGc.jpg

JRM1983
11-07-10, 23:46
My go to rifle, BCM 16'' midlength, Larue 9.0 rail, Aimpoint ML3 in LT-150 and Troy buis.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P7023707.JPG

Armati
11-14-10, 12:48
Old school 20" A1.

Honestly, it is hard to argue with this. Once all the kinks were worked out of the original AR15, the M16A1 has soldiered on in some pretty bad places for over 40 years. In the jungles of SE Asia and South America warlords are still using old stocks of these rifles left over from little wars fought in the 70's and 80's.

If you just had to grab it and go it might be just the thing. You can fix a bayonet to discourage people from just grabbing it out of your hands. If you know what to do with a bayonet, it is a viable secondary weapon.

If you are traveling super-light you will find ready supplies of 55gr ammo most anywhere. Try to go to WalMart and find anything other than some basic 55gr ammo. Whenever I go into a chain store that sells ammo I check what they keep in stock. Most places only stock 45 grain SP 'varmint' loads and 55gr FMJ and hunting soft points.

You can clean and lube it with little more than WD40 and 3-in-1 Oil.

The rear sight is damn near bullet proof - far more rugged than the A2 sight.

A few upgrades might be in order if you want to go this route:

Replace the round front sight post with the square A2 Front sight post. It is one of the few really useful improvements on the A2.

Bad things happen at night. If you are using iron sights you may want to look seriously at some tritium sights. Some people don't like them because the 'other guy' can also sometimes see them like when you are on the move.

You need a light. Back in the old days, every GI was trying to strap a light to the front of their rifle - 100MPH tape, Ranger bands, hose clamps, you name it. Now we have better options. If you are building this gun, the Alexander Arms MK10 Plus and JP Enterprise Modular hand guards are great choices. They are much stronger than the stock A1 foregrip and will give you great mounting options. They will also give you a better grip on the rifle if you have to fight hand-to-hand with it. However, they both require removal of the bbl. If you don't want to spend that kind of money or you don't want to remove your bbl, the Magpul Rifle Length MOE is a good bet.

For survival, look for a AA flashlight. 123N batteries are simply not that common. Orlite, Nitecore and Fenix all make AA LED lights. Make sure you get the tactical model that is the most water resistant.

The A1 stock could use some beefing up. I would replace it with one of the ACE Ltd stocks. You may want to think about a collapsible stock. They are useful in close quarters like buildings or vehicles, or if you have to wear body armor or heavy clothes.

Personally, I like optics. On this sort of rifle you would be well served by a Trijicon RX type with the triangle or chevron reticule. The apex of the triangle can be used for accurate aimed fire, while still giving you a large 14 MOA reticule for moving targets and CQC. Whatever optic you use, the goose neck type mounts are the way to go. I would avoid mounting an optic on top of the caring handle.

One thing to think about - even in a war zone, weapons are carried far more than they are fired. Weapons need to be handy, easily carried for long periods of time, and easy to put into action quickly. The needs of a civilian surviving in the wild may be different from the needs of a Tier 1 Door Kicker. The average user in a survival situation will most likely operate more like your traditional Rifleman. Lots of walking, patrolling, foraging/scavenging. Sneak and peek. Don't look like a threat, and don't look like a victim. You might need a good rucksack and LBE more than you need that Paraclete RAV.

scott220
11-27-10, 00:28
Stag Model 2, Troy rail, Bobro VFG, Surefire 6P LED in VLTOR scout mount, Aimpoint ML2/Larue LT150 combo, and DD 1.5 fixed BUIS. My go bag with 6 extra magazines, Glock 17 with 4 mags, and 200 rounds in bandoleers on stripper clips. I really have to resist the urge to pack tons of ammo, it gets very heavy.

CEK
12-10-10, 16:29
Currently LMT 10.5" upper/lower with Larue 7" rail, Eotech 553 , Surefire M900, Troy BUIS , KAC suppressor.

Considering switching to my LMT MWS 308 with Aimpoint M4, AFG, Surefire M952 LED.

ghostman1960
12-10-10, 18:15
This my go to rifle. It is used mostly for home defense and range use. I'm sure it will serve well as a adequate SHTF weapon as well.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2088.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2085.jpg

iammrbill
12-14-10, 18:47
my gp rifle is my only ar. rra lower w/2-stage trigger. 4pos stock. bcm middy upper with 1/7 twist. bcm auto bcg, bcm gunfighter ch w/med latch. yhm free float handguard, vltor gasblock w/flip up sight. bcm flip up rear sight. primary arms 1-4scope w/extended mount. i feel confident w/this set up for most everything except big/dangerous game.

here's a crappy pic

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/iammrbill/IMG_0092.jpg

broylz
12-14-10, 20:39
my current go to rifle is a standard stag 16" carbine with a Millett DMS scope in a burris mount from swfa. i keep a pmag in it and will be getting an Eagle patrol bandoleer for it soon. it will be backed up with my Glock 17.

my wife has an identical setup but her rifle is currently a cheap parts gun i put together on a M&P lower, DPMS lpk, and a bushmaster upper with a PA m3 clone and another Glock 17.

both still need a light of some sort.

am debating a SBR or possibly another M14 build with a LRB M25 tanker type setup in a McMillan MFS-14 folding stock.

11B101ABN
12-17-10, 19:39
CMMG M4
SpikesTactical Nickel Boron BCG
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
Magpul MOE Stock, Grip and Vertical Grip and MS-2 sling.
Yankee Hill Forearm
Yankee Hill Brake/Comp. (coming monday)
Leapers LW Bipod (may end up removing)

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/ggee87/TheArsenal002.jpg

Uh, yikes.

Old post prehaps but yo might want to re-think attaching anything that has Leapers on it to your piece.

BugOutBoy
12-20-10, 12:42
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7544/arsb.jpg
By bugoutboy (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/bugoutboy) at 2010-12-20

For me:
Bushmaster AR
16" 1:9 twist barrel
Permanently pinned "Izzy" muzzle brake (NY sucks!)
ACE Skeleton stock
A whole gang of preban 30 round mags.

For my wife (if I can convince her to carry it):
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Bushnell 3-9 x 40 rifle scope (this is mainly a small game hunting weapon more than self-defense)
Mags are only 10 round capacity thanks to NY state law :(

If bugging out by car, the Mossberg 590 A1 shotty is coming too!

The Bushmaster has been upgraded since that pic was taken. It looks like this now:
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7457/ar001.jpg
By bugoutboy (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/bugoutboy) at 2010-12-20

Added Magpul fore end, Magpul polymer trigger guard as well as a Magpul mission adaptable sling (not shown).

OhThatGuy
12-31-10, 22:05
This just got traded in
http://i46.tinypic.com/sw4kk2.jpg
It was replaced with this...
http://i54.tinypic.com/rbh761.gif

PlatoCATM
12-31-10, 22:31
[QUOTE=BugOutBoy;851104Added Magpul fore end, Magpul polymer trigger guard as well as a Magpul mission adaptable sling (not shown).[/QUOTE]

Those are more properly referred to as "changes," not upgrades. An upgrade denotes an added functional or performance enhancement. I'll give you the sling, but there is no light, no good optic, and it's still a bushhamster.

*This is not a personal attack.

PA PATRIOT
01-01-11, 00:06
A little different:

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab242/ferris2son/ar9mmsbrsup.jpg

Can you list your build please, while many may raise their noses at a pistol caliber carbine I believe it is prudent to have one in the rack as it opens options in availability/cost/savaging resupply and allows increased accuracy over a handgun if your limited to a pistol caliber after running the 5.56 or 7.62 dry.

BugOutBoy
01-03-11, 08:51
Those are more properly referred to as "changes," not upgrades. An upgrade denotes an added functional or performance enhancement. I'll give you the sling, but there is no light, no good optic, and it's still a bushhamster.

Well thank you for correcting me. I apologize if my choice of words or weapon manufacturer does not meet with your lofty standards. I will endeavor to do so in the future. Oh and for the record, there's nothing wrong with Bushmaster.

K.L. Davis
01-03-11, 10:35
This thread is most assuredly doomed unless it gets back on track...

The subject is rifles - recommendations are welcome, criticism is not (even if it comes with a disclaimer).

*This is a threat

BugOutBoy
01-03-11, 11:11
This thread is most assuredly doomed unless it gets back on track...

The subject is rifles - recommendations are welcome, criticism is not (even if it comes with a disclaimer).

*This is a threat

Agreed. No argument here.

http://i46.tinypic.com/sw4kk2.jpg

That's a Sig 556, right? I'm not familiar with them but I would love to try shoot one. How do they compare to an AR-15? Looks like it's a piston rifle, is that correct? It's a pretty good looking gun.

Quiet-Matt
01-03-11, 18:26
BCM 14.5 carbine upper with shaved GB (not one hiccup in over 2K rounds)
DD BCG
Troy TRX 13" handguard (grip options, and lite)
BCM extended FH (tough and plenty effective)
DD fixed front sight / Troy flip up rear
G2 in Vltor mount
Aimpoint micro on Larue LT660
Aero Precision lower / CMT LPK
BCM RE / H buffer
MOE stock / enhanced recoil pad
Ambi safety
MOE pistol grip / ergo gapper
Vtac sling (comfort)
p-mags
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TRz71jKTBTI/AAAAAAAAHTk/piU4-3prFA8/s720/DSC01648.JPG

KBAR-04
02-03-11, 15:14
Personally, I think the road is the way of death for most..

I live rurally in the middle of 40 acres of woods so I am mainly concerned with defending my own homestead. I am 52 and have already been in several government organised shooting parties so I have no interest in playing Rambo. My main go to rifle is my FAL I've owned since the 70s. I am more of a 7.62 guy and have a back up Para FAL as well as an LMT MWS for longer range mischief.

OK, if I absolutely had to hit the road I would take my Steyr AUG A1 16 inch. It is very compact, reliable and accurate. I have about 20 magazines for it to include 42 rounders. My backup to that is a Colt Canada 6721 carbine.

bubba04
02-03-11, 16:35
My go to rifle is my g3 clone built from g3 parts kit on ptr reciever. Sporting aimpoint comp m4s, 30 round south african mags with vcas (not pictured). Has a heavy buffer in her which causes her to shoot real soft and she weighs in just under 10 #'s.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l357/jbg04/DSC_0010-1.jpg

Now eventually I want to build a 18" AR sporting a 4x power night vision scope for the night crawlers.

Six Feet Under
02-14-11, 20:41
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv89/longrange308/Gear/012.jpg

Pretty much that kind of setup, maybe an Aimpoint T-1 on it. Higher quality MFG for upper/lower though.

fivefivesix
02-14-11, 22:28
heres mine
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz266/mkIII1022/100_0076.jpg
ddm4 soon to be a12.5 in sbr

decodeddiesel
02-15-11, 02:47
My, or any other lw 16" middy would get my vote for my "gp" rifle in the US. Topped with an ACOG TA33 series, or a red dot with a flip to side magnifier.

Still though, I can really see the merit in a 7.62x39 AK, or a 7.62x51 FAL in this role as well. In fact, the 7.62 NATO FAL in 16" or 18" barrel trim would be a hell of a choice. Site or structure defense, the ability to fell large game animals, good ballistics against a vehicle or an intermediate barrier...all well within the capabilities of this rifle. The ammo is available and abundant, the gun itself is rugged and very reliable...aboutt he only draw back is lack of spare parts here in the US. Still though an FAL topped with something like a NF 1-4x24, it would be damn near perfect in my opinion.

M4Fundi
02-15-11, 13:02
The FAL with an M4S on it was the perfect GP rifle until I shot for a few years with an N4 Light Basic, now the FAL sure is heavy:( I'm gonna have to start working out more;)