PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Handgun Reciprocity iPhone App.

Irish
07-30-10, 11:52
This isn't a thread to discuss the merits of or how much you dislike the iPhone or AT&T, there's plenty of those. My intention is to pass on possibly a very useful tool to many members on this site. I have not used this app yet but it does look very promising for people who are traveling state to state and need a concealed carry reference tool. http://appmodo.com/26135/concealed-handgun-license-state-reciprocity-list-1-6-for-iphone/

Announcing that Blackleaf Software LLC, the developer of Concealed Handgun License State Reciprocity List, has released the latest update for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad users. Until now, travelers with concealed handgun permits have had to do hours, if not days, of tedious research to learn which states recognize their concealed carry licenses; but Concealed Handgun License State Reciprocity List 1.6 puts reciprocity information for all 50 states right at their finger tips. Information is quickly accessible and users can save time and stay on the good side of the law by knowing exactly where they can carry, before they even leave home.

These are some of the features that make this a must have app for handgun owners:
* The latest state reciprocity changes as of June, 2010 for all 50 states
* Easy to use onscreen controls
* Easy to read, color coded maps
* Reverse reciprocity look up
* Internet buttons to learn about handgun laws within each state
* Read the second amendment right in the app
* Supports portrait and landscape modes

When they open the app, the user simply picks their home state from a list by tapping the screen. The next thing they will see is a complete list of states that recognize concealed handgun licenses issued by their state (reciprocity).

New for this version is the Reverse Reciprocity feature. This button allows users to quickly see a list of states whose concealed handgun permits are recognized by the state they are currently viewing.

While viewing a list, simple onscreen buttons allow the user to see these states on a color coded map, or learn more about a particular state. Portrait and landscape views are supported, to make map viewing easier.

It’s a gun owner’s responsibility to know the laws of any state where they intend to carry their gun. To make this easier, Concealed Handgun License State Reciprocity List 1.6 now gives users a “Website” button which takes them directly to a state’s website, where they can learn everything they need to know without leaving the app. With the second amendment to the US constitution contained right in the app, interested users can also learn more about their constitutional right to bear arms.

When asked why he thought there was a need for an app like this in the app store, Dustin Irvin had this to say: “After taking a concealed handgun course my family and I had trouble gathering a list of states and their laws. We travel frequently so this app was exactly what we needed to quickly reference our ability to carry our handguns in states. Then, if we had any questions about specific laws, we could access the website directly within the app to go over specifics of concealed carry with that state.”

The developer points out to responsible handgun owners that state reciprocity lists can sometimes change between app updates. It’s their responsibility to carefully check all information so they can carry safely, carry legally, and know where they can go.

Device Requirements:
* iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
* Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
* 2.7 MB

Pricing and Availability:
Concealed Handgun License State Reciprocity List 1.6 is only $0.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Reference category.

App website: http://www.blackleafsoftware.com/apps/chl/
Purchase & download: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/concealed-handgun-license/id322339801?mt=8

kry226
07-30-10, 12:57
Need something for BlackBerry.

bulbvivid
07-30-10, 13:21
Thanks for the heads-up.

I bought the app to support the development and because it's a good idea, but it's a bit rudimentary.

I would pay more for an app that included laws for each state and had graphics that weren't so amateur. I understand that it was likely put together by someone as much for their own use as anything, but I get spoiled by good software. I tend not to use stuff that's not well designed.

Irish
07-30-10, 13:25
I haven't used it yet, currently using a BB, but I am getting an iPhone within the week. My company's plan is through AT&T and I have no other options for service and after playing with the iPhone I think it's pretty slick. When I do purchase it I'll be buying this app as well due to traveling quite a bit.

bulbvivid
07-30-10, 13:34
There's not much in the app that you can't easily find online with a Web browser. I guess it saves time in that you don't have to search Google and click a few links. But it would be better if it had the laws for each state along with the reciprocity information. The laws are what can be a pain in the butt to research. Having them built into the app to save the leg work would be a big plus. I have a feeling they may get to that someday, which is why I went ahead and gave them some money.

With my TN permit, I pretty much just have to remember which states don't honor it, because most of them do.

cgcorrea
07-30-10, 14:17
I use a similar app that's on the Android network(Verizon) for my Droid X called "Right To Bear". It's actually really nice. You just plug your CCW info into the corresponding slots in the main menu and it takes you to another menu pertaining to your CCW permit, where you can get info on state laws, reciprocity and other general DOs and DON'Ts that apply to you. I like it so far. The art work aint bad either. There's another app like this going around on the same network that I have not used but according to the reviews I read it's out of date on alot of info.

arbninftry
07-30-10, 14:38
I guess now I should upgrade from the first gen iphone with the cracked screen, to one that can actually be talked on and use applications.

HK45
07-30-10, 21:59
I bought it as well thinking it will contain more information as development continues.

BTW cgcorrea all the networks have Android phones not just Verizon.

cgcorrea
07-30-10, 22:21
I bought it as well thinking it will contain more information as development continues.

BTW cgcorrea all the networks have Android phones not just Verizon.

I know. I was just saying that's the carrier i have.