PDA

View Full Version : Best Night Optic/Sighting Systems...

Razorhunter
06-19-07, 21:27
Guys,
For a while now, I've been trying to determine what might possibly be the "best" sighting system (optic OR irons) for nightime use.
I suppose one could argue that there is a "best" sighting system when a rail mounted light is used, and then there might also be a "best" sighting system when a rail mounted light is NOT used.
SO, what would you guys say?
I have been thinking that ANY of the major optics such as ACOGS, Eotechs, Aimpoints, etc and even irons with a Trijicon front sight post, would ALL be more difficult to acquire a target with at night. (without the use of a light).
However, this all changes when a light IS used.

Further, the last issue would be night vision, and that is a whole different topic in itself, and also something else I'm interested in. I'm basically trying to determine WHAT different night vision optic choices are available, and also which ones are feasible (ie lightweight, affordable, most popular, etc).
Thanks guys....

Rana
06-19-07, 23:14
In all actuality I find that the only really viable option for an M4 at night is a VIS/IR laser (preferably an APTIAL) with a set of PVS15 or PVS18's, or as you have stated the use of "WHITE LIGHT." The other items Eotech's, Aimpoints, and ACOG's aren't the most practical night time sights and I find myself loosing "SA" if focused on those types of apparatus in a night time environment.

I actually remove my Aimpoint when going into a night time environment it is nothing more than extra weight...

For longer range (RE:sniper systems) there is a whole slew of NV options. The amount of technology out there boggles the mind. I am glad we have it; and most of what is encountered doesn't (yet?).

For most domestic applications, white light with irons or an Aimpoint/EoTech is the best conclusion for target ID if nothing else.

WillC
06-20-07, 06:39
A VIS laser is hard to beat unless you are trying to be sneaky, everybody knows what the red dot on their chest means. Combine that with a strobe flashlight like the Insight Typhoon and you have a winner in my opinion.

C4IGrant
06-21-07, 14:40
EOTech and Aimpoint are your best choices IMHO.

C4

Razorhunter
06-21-07, 17:35
Well how do the Eotech and Aimpoint work at night?
I mean, are you referring to the NV compatible Aimpoints/Eotechs, or just the regular ones in conjunction with Surefire lights perhaps???
How is the target seen at night with a NON-NV Aimpoint/Eotech??? Do they work well with just regular rail mounted lights???
Thanks...

C4IGrant
06-22-07, 09:10
Well how do the Eotech and Aimpoint work at night?
I mean, are you referring to the NV compatible Aimpoints/Eotechs, or just the regular ones in conjunction with Surefire lights perhaps???
How is the target seen at night with a NON-NV Aimpoint/Eotech??? Do they work well with just regular rail mounted lights???
Thanks...

Easy. You just turn it on and adjust it to a low light setting. All EOTech's work the same at night (for normal use).

IF you have a night vision device (like a PVS-14) then you would hit the NV button on the 551, 552 or 553 and it would put the reticle into a VERY low light setting that is NOT visible to the human eye.

If you do NOT have a NV device, then you would need a light to find your target. They work very well with flashlights and no NV device.

C4