PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of a video which disproves the gas ring alignment myth?

P2000
07-31-10, 01:18
I am trying to prove to someone that the gas ring gaps do not need to be staggered. Does anyone know of a video proving this? If not I will probably make one.

Thanks

kmrtnsn
07-31-10, 02:03
Explain that there is only a gap when the bolt is out of the carrier. Once installed the gap closes. Any gas that passes between what little gap remains is also blowing around the ring in other places too. I think the whole "don't line up the rings" myth is a hold over from automotive piston installation, where the main worry with gap alignment was symmetrical cylinder scoring, not fuel/oil blow-by.

davey
07-31-10, 22:13
I am trying to prove to someone that the gas ring gaps do not need to be staggered. Does anyone know of a video proving this? If not I will probably make one.
Thanks
This is a slam dunk. Take two rings off and run the gun. It will work fine. That kinda proves that it makes little difference how the other two are installed.

bo-hoss
08-01-10, 08:26
Try this....

Stagger the ring gaps 120 degrees apart (equal spacing). Assemble and shoot 20 rounds through the gun. Dis-assemble and inspect...
Look at how the spacing has changed between gaps. The rings rotate during operation just like automotive piston rings (and valve springs).
As mentioned previously, the ring gaps almost close up when installed in the bolt carrier.

halo2304
08-01-10, 09:45
Or better yet...

Line up the gaps, install and shoot. Disassemble, space the gaps, re-install, and shoot again. Any difference?

Either way, I still take the time to stagger the gaps. If anything, it makes me pay attention to the bolt longer (i.e. inspect for chips, cracks and other defects.)

Failure2Stop
08-01-10, 11:34
Or better yet...

Line up the gaps, install and shoot. Disassemble, space the gaps, re-install, and shoot again. Any difference?

Either way, I still take the time to stagger the gaps. If anything, it makes me pay attention to the bolt longer (i.e. inspect for chips, cracks and other defects.)

It has already been done numerous times, it appears that the OP is trying to get around having to do it over and over for the unbelieving audience. While gas-rings are fairly inexpensive, it still sucks having to remove and install them repeatedly and paying $5 in shipping for $2 of parts.

P2000
08-01-10, 12:33
Great idea about removing two of the rings, but I think I will just line them up as stated in the myth. Even when I explain this, people don't believe it. With a video I can simply let them watch and believe.

ST911
08-01-10, 18:56
Brother Quib has an outstanding post on the subject here, complete with pictures:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2362-BOLT-CARRIER-CUTAWAY

halo2304
08-01-10, 19:28
It has already been done numerous times, it appears that the OP is trying to get around having to do it over and over for the unbelieving audience. While gas-rings are fairly inexpensive, it still sucks having to remove and install them repeatedly and paying $5 in shipping for $2 of parts.

A better idea is to tack on the $2 parts to a larger order BEFORE you need them. ;)

tire iron
08-02-10, 02:32
Shoot the video and "youtube" it - that way it will be a resource for many of us to use.

cheers

tire iron

Todd.K
08-02-10, 12:47
I've taken two of the gas rings off and shot myself, the gaps do not need to be spaced for function...but

I think it's a good idea for assembly, if the gaps are aligned it could be possible to get the end of one ring jammed into the gap of the ring behind it.

bo-hoss
08-02-10, 15:46
I've taken two of the gas rings off and shot myself, the gaps do not need to be spaced for function...but

I think it's a good idea for assembly, if the gaps are aligned it could be possible to get the end of one ring jammed into the gap of the ring behind it.

Right on the money!!!!! Eliminate a variable with good assembly techniques.

BrianM
08-02-10, 17:02
Todd K.

I've taken two of the gas rings off and shot myself

Ouch, that's got to hurt!!! :eek:

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. :D

Brian

P2000
08-02-10, 19:25
Shoot the video and "youtube" it - that way it will be a resource for many of us to use.

cheers

tire iron

Weather permitting I will do this Saturday

P2000
08-07-10, 14:22
I made the video. Only four shots on the video, but 120 malfunction free shots after that, using PMC bronze. The rifle is 5 years old with 1,900 rounds through it. It has to last me 2 more years before I buy or build something better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhphAZQfgCY

Quiet-Matt
08-07-10, 15:39
Thanks for taking the time to do that P2000.

P2000
08-08-10, 12:41
You're welcome. It was easy enough to do. I just wish I wasn't fumbling so bad on the bcg assembly, but I didn't want to do another take.

Another point of interest is that It took me 3 takes to get what I posted. After each take (4 shots) I had to re-align the gas rings because they would move slightly-just enough to not be lined up. After ~120 rounds, two of the rings were close to each other, but not in alignment, and the third ring was 120 degrees apart from the other two.