PDA

View Full Version : MGSL (slide lock for the glock)

platoonDaddy
07-31-10, 13:40
Listening too people talk about their glock pattering better since the installation of a MGSL (slide lock). So last night sitting with a few olives and google located the following thread and their comments about the slide lock.

Do any of you have any experience with this slide lock and if so what is your personal opinion?

Thanks

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851754&page=9

operator81
07-31-10, 16:24
I looked into them a while back and almost purchased one. The reason I didn't was I read the improvement in accuracy was most notable in the .40 Glocks, and I only had 9mm at the time. I would be interested in trying one out now that I have a G22 again.

platoonDaddy
07-31-10, 17:34
I looked into them a while back and almost purchased one. The reason I didn't was I read the improvement in accuracy was most notable in the .40 Glocks, and I only had 9mm at the time. I would be interested in trying one out now that I have a G22 again.

Being an oldMan and not very tech savvy, how would the "slide lock" improve your pattern, all very confusing. At the range, the majority of 9mm shooters who have this option talk about their improved pattern.

That is the reason for asking the pros on this site.

Business_Casual
07-31-10, 17:45
Cross-posting Glocktalk here?

That has to be against the rules somehow.

B_C

Fire
07-31-10, 17:56
T.R. Graham explains it himself in post #86. Did you not read all 9 pages of that thread you linked? FWIW I have a MGSL installed on a Glock 19, but have fired less than 200 rounds down range so far and need some more time before I give any opinion atm.

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/AllPackedUp/Images/19-7.jpg

platoonDaddy
07-31-10, 18:51
T.R. Graham explains it himself in post #86. Did you not read all 9 pages of that thread you linked? FWIW I have a MGSL installed on a Glock 19, but have fired less than 200 rounds down range so far and need some more time before I give any opinion atm.

Will be interesting too hear your experience.

I read all of the thread and consumed many olives, but for the life of me I can't see how it would improve ones pattern.

As for cross talking the thread, as stated earlier I did a google search and that was the only reference to MGSL, therefore I thought it was all hype. If this feature is that good, why hasn't the designer created a web page to advertise. Went to a gun show in Northern Va today and there were two glock armor's selling their ware. When asked about MGSL, they had blank stares.

Editing update: just did another google search on MGSL and following many softball leagues etc. and then locating the glocktalk link I changed google search to MGSL+GLOCK and received many hits. I stand corrected on my original post about only one hit. For sure it was the olives.

bigkracka
07-31-10, 21:45
Any difference would be psychosomatic or negligible, not worth the cost.

JohnN
07-31-10, 23:54
He has a money back guarantee, you can't really lose.

snakedoctor
08-02-10, 18:47
i think i'm gonna order one and see how well it improves accuracy

GermanSynergy
08-02-10, 22:20
Just my 2 cents- not sure how any drop in part will "improve" the accuracy of the Glock, esp when the weapon is capable of greater mechanical accuracy than most end users.

I would suggest investing in quality handgun training, ammunition and range time before buying accessories to "improve" accuracy. YMMV.

skyugo
08-03-10, 10:38
ooh we're actually referring to what most folks call the "takedown lever" right? i remember reading about this awhile ago, i guess it might make for a more consistent lockup. I can't outshoot my glocks yet, so i'll hold out. :o

would be curious to see some reviews though.

demkofour
08-03-10, 15:51
ooh we're actually referring to what most folks call the "takedown lever" right? i remember reading about this awhile ago, i guess it might make for a more consistent lockup. I can't outshoot my glocks yet, so i'll hold out. :o

would be curious to see some reviews though.

FWIW, the part is actually called the slide lock.
There is no part in the GLOCK nomenclature called a "takedown lever" although the slide lock is used to remove the slide from the frame. ;)
That aside, I agree that this drop in slide lock might afford a more consistent lockup, but the GLOCKs were not and are not designed to be tack drivers. I'd be concerned also that the tighter lockup might possibly compromise reliability...

varoadking
08-03-10, 16:32
FWIW, the part is actually called the slide lock.
There is no part in the GLOCK nomenclature called a "takedown lever" although the slide lock is used to remove the slide from the frame. ;)
That aside, I agree that this drop in slide lock might afford a more consistent lockup, but the GLOCKs were not and are not designed to be tack drivers. I'd be concerned also that the tighter lockup might possibly compromise reliability...

Not at all sure how tighter lock-up could be a reliability issue...

Otherwise, I can tell you that I've bought several of these. I haven't seen spit for difference one way or another...

Suffice it to say...I won't be buying any more...

mpom
12-05-10, 16:50
FWIW, I installed one in my G27, used for EDC and competition. Not sure its more accurate than before, but its capable of keeping up with the big boys at the indoor range I shoot practical matches at. Big advantage is its slightly wider, so easier to pull down for disassembly. Might get another for my G19.
Definitely not necessary, may help accuracy, and so far no issues.
Since he offers a money back guarantee, what is the risk?

MP

ElrodCod
12-05-10, 17:54
Any difference would be psychosomatic or negligible, not worth the cost.

And your bonafides are??????????

glockkid88
12-05-10, 19:30
Just my 2 cents- not sure how any drop in part will "improve" the accuracy of the Glock, esp when the weapon is capable of greater mechanical accuracy than most end users.

I would suggest investing in quality handgun training, ammunition and range time before buying accessories to "improve" accuracy. YMMV.

Agree 100%. When I attended my first LAV course I was taking the extended slide release off of my gun after the first day. No more after market stuff on my glocks besides the vickers mag catch, and sights. Oh and did I mention that the training brought my accuracy up a lot more than the high speed shit I kept adding to my guns!

Dano5326
12-06-10, 17:17
A tighter more consistent lock up will of course increase accuracy in the relatively loose glock series. There are a couple ways to go about this.

I'm somewhat skeptical a new bar w/o increased spring tension do this?

The reality is high speed guys use "high speed" modifications and aftermarket accessories to squeeze the last bit of accuracy or speed out of their weps (w/o degrading reliability), speaking in bumper sticker slogans is of no use.

Another truism is 99.9% of shooters don't know what they don't know and therefore are easily separated from their $$ by snake-oil.

Semizal0311
12-06-10, 21:54
" When I attended my first LAV course I was taking the extended slide release off of my gun after the first day."

What is the reasoning behind this? I'm a handgun noob and was considering purchasing one for my G19.

Magic_Salad0892
12-07-10, 18:42
I've used one.

Didn't make a difference in accuracy, however it did speed up the disassembly process for me.

However... I don't know why I'd be in such a hurry to disassemble my pistol.

If I had a malfunction so bad I had to replace something, I seriously doubt I'd have it on me during the breakage...

I might buy one again, just to see...

However. I don't see any professionals mentioning it, or high volume shooters mentioning it, or paying it any mind. Might be a clue.

platoonDaddy
12-08-10, 05:06
Interesting picture illustrating the tighter lock up area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zorin-denu/5148771093/in/photostream/#/

Alpha Sierra
12-08-10, 12:14
http://www.nndb.com/people/121/000056950/barnum.jpg
Give me your money.......

platoonDaddy
12-08-10, 17:00
http://www.nndb.com/people/121/000056950/barnum.jpg
Give me your money.......

Hmm doesn't look like: John Lennon, Paul McCartney,
George Harrison and or Ringo Starr signing "You Never Give Me Your Money"

I give up!

ElrodCod
12-09-10, 06:45
Hmm doesn't look like: John Lennon, Paul McCartney,
George Harrison and or Ringo Starr signing "You Never Give Me Your Money"

I give up!

P.T. Barnum. “There's a sucker born every minute”

mpom
12-09-10, 08:15
Sent an email to TR a few days ago; no response. Was thinking of installing one in my G19. Oh well, maybe its for the better...
Interesting point brought up, that this device is not something mentioned by the big dogs, such as Sevigny, etc.

Mark

glockkid88
12-09-10, 17:47
" When I attended my first LAV course I was taking the extended slide release off of my gun after the first day."

What is the reasoning behind this? I'm a handgun noob and was considering purchasing one for my G19.

I tend to ride the extended slide release. Just my grip but still my performance didnt suffer without the extended release. I dont buy new "high speed" stuff for my guns anymore without a lot of thinking and discussion with people wiser than me.

platoonDaddy
12-09-10, 20:42
I tend to ride the extended slide release. Just my grip but still my performance didnt suffer without the extended release. I dont buy new "high speed" stuff for my guns anymore without a lot of thinking and discussion with people wiser than me.

The post is about the Extended "Slide Lock" not the Extended "Slide Stop Lever".

mpom
12-14-10, 14:03
Just heard back from Mr Graham. Still $30 + $7 S&H.
Trying to decide if its a "placebo" or a real improvement.

MP

glockkid88
12-14-10, 15:06
The post is about the Extended "Slide Lock" not the Extended "Slide Stop Lever".

I understand the post. Im simply saying that these contraptions will do nothing for the average shooter to improve accuracy. A glock has the capability right from the factory to shoot really accurately. This add on is total bullshit. Putting this on your glock will not teach you to press a trigger correctly so therefore I dont think it will improve accuracy.

eternal24k
12-14-10, 17:44
if it were $15 i would try a few out

J8127
12-14-10, 20:51
I have one, when you compare it to the stock one you can see the difference, but I couldn't tell you if it did anything. Makes taking it apart easier and it was the first time I did anything beyond a field stripping.

I'm glad I got it but I don't think I'll get another one for future GLOCKs.

hatidua
07-21-11, 13:55
I tried one in one of my G19s. After a few hundred rounds I started swapping it out with the factory slide lock so as to compare the two. After an afternoon of going back & forth between the factory version adn the MGSL I ordered a few more from Mr. Graham.

YMMV.

jamaicanj
07-26-11, 15:43
I tried one in one of my G19s. After a few hundred rounds I started swapping it out with the factory slide lock so as to compare the two. After an afternoon of going back & forth between the factory version adn the MGSL I ordered a few more from Mr. Graham.

YMMV.

How much of a difference did you notice with your groups?

Straight Shooter
07-26-11, 17:30
Ive installed one in my Glock21 .45ACP.
I shot several 15-20 yard groups, over sandbags, with the gun before installation, to get a baseline how my gun shoots.
I put in the MGSL, shot initial groups, against the written instruction to wait until 200 rounds or so, just to see if there would be an immediate difference. There was not. I put about 250 rnds thru the gun, then before leaving the range, I shot some sandbagged groups, again at 15-20 yards. There is a noticeable difference. Yes, there is a shrinking of groups with the three ammo types I used, but what I noticed was much more consistent groups, with far fewer flyers. And, no loss at all of reliability. So, so far for me, in MY gun, it is seeming to help. I will continue testing of course.
Call it "psychcosomatic" or total b.s...or maybe Im one of the "suckers born every minute". So far, so good.

jamaicanj
07-27-11, 07:45
Ok. Thanks for your review.

Ive installed one in my Glock21 .45ACP.
I shot several 15-20 yard groups, over sandbags, with the gun before installation, to get a baseline how my gun shoots.
I put in the MGSL, shot initial groups, against the written instruction to wait until 200 rounds or so, just to see if there would be an immediate difference. There was not. I put about 250 rnds thru the gun, then before leaving the range, I shot some sandbagged groups, again at 15-20 yards. There is a noticeable difference. Yes, there is a shrinking of groups with the three ammo types I used, but what I noticed was much more consistent groups, with far fewer flyers. And, no loss at all of reliability. So, so far for me, in MY gun, it is seeming to help. I will continue testing of course.
Call it "psychcosomatic" or total b.s...or maybe Im one of the "suckers born every minute". So far, so good.

KalashniKEV
07-28-11, 09:13
I got excited... I thought it was a "slide lock" like Mk 22 Mod 0 Style...