PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Compact Pistol (TCP 380)

Beachboy
07-31-10, 14:59
Having read the review on the Diamondback .380 and the Kahr .380, I looked at both today while at the funshow, along with the Ruger and the Taurus (right now it's like 101 degrees outside, I guess pocket pistols are appropriate for today's attire).
I have been sort of in the market for another pocket .380 for some months.
After looking, handling, thinking, discussing and haggling, I brought a s/s Taurus TCP home with me.
Haven't shot it yet, hopefully will be able to get to the range early tomorrow morning.
Has anyone here had any experience with one so far?

jrmymiles
07-31-10, 15:19
Your not going to find to much Taurus love around here, and for good reason. You get what you pay for. I would shoot the snot out of it and see how it does.

John_Wayne777
07-31-10, 15:33
Well...hopefully it will function and the frame won't crack on you.

TOrrock
07-31-10, 15:36
Well...hopefully it will function and the frame won't crack on you.

Might work just fine, but definitely run the shit out of it before trusting it, as you should with any carry piece.

After the purchase is not really the time to go looking for info......:ph34r:

Beachboy
08-01-10, 19:24
While I do appreciate the replies, perhaps I wasn't clear on my original post. While not trying to sound harsh or like as ass, I wasn't asking for advice, instead for the experiences of others who may have personal expereince with the TCP.
Trust me, I do plan very much to shoot the snot out of and will put it through the ringer before trusting my life to it. Fortunately, I still have a fair stash of .380 ammo, including some vintage PMC El Dorado marked Starfires; Glaser's and MagSafe, plus a couple of hundred rounds of Federal HydraShok's and Winchester white box ball.
While others may have negative expereinces with Taurus, this is only my second Taurus firearm, however the first was a 4" Model 94 .22 revolver, that I bought probably 15 years ago when I still did a lot of private firearms instruction, looking for a small framed, rimfire caliber to use in training new shooters, many of who at the time were females who had never fired any type of gun.
It has seen easily 10,000 rounds without a single problem, other than a rear sight that easily rusted in a salt air environment, where I was training at the time.
As I mentioned, I looked at the Kahr (twice the money) and I am a Kahr fan; the Diamondback, the Ruger, skipped the KelTec (there's a P32 around here somewhere) and the North American, along with the USA made TCP. The role here is a pocket pistol, for carry when it's just too hot for anything else, including my Kahr CW40 or my Sig P239. I can already see from just handling it that I will be looking at stippling the frame in certain places to make it a bit more 'sticky'.
The mention of the broken frame concerns me and I'd like to know more.
Again, thanks for the replies.

John_Wayne777
08-01-10, 21:08
Do a search on the slim frame Tauruses and you'll find a number of reports of malfunctions and of cracked frames. Somebody posted such a report on ARFCOM a short while ago.

...which is why I said: Hopefully it runs and the frame won't crack.

Th3Revreant
08-03-10, 22:57
its my wifes primary ccw. dao trigger is nice and is alot more accurate than i thought it could be. only bad thing is it kicks the damn brass straight back at your face. i had 3 or 4 perfect rings of carbon on my face from the casings hitting me there :). Ultimate in ccw imho.

Hunter Rose
08-04-10, 15:04
its my wifes primary ccw... Ultimate in ccw imho.

Hardly the ultimate CCW. I'll put my 9mm HK USP, a Glock 19, a Smith and Wesson M&P, or a fullsize 1911 ahead of a Taurus Compact Pistol as far as CCW goes.

Edited to add: OK, I just now saw it was your WIFE's primary CCW. If that's all she can conceal/carry, then good on her then.