PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

HeavyDuty
07-31-10, 17:26
I've been considering building a "trunk gun" (or walking rifle) for several years. The goal is a lightweight carbine in .308 with a 1-4x scope that is suitable for hunting and personal defense out to about 200 yards. Something that is the antithesis of a tactical rifle - skinny barrel, low magnification optics, a sling and light weight. Accuracy requirements are pretty basic - if I can consistently hold it to 2 MOA I'm happy.

I was planning on building off a Tikka T3 lite in .308 but the budget never came along; the idea has been percolating away in the meantime. I originally started out planning a true Scout build, but as time has passed I've decided I'd be better served with something similar but not strictly a Scout.

I recently discovered Savage's inexpensive line of Stevens rifles. I was surprised to find a Stevens 200 in .308 would only set me back about $300 out the door on sale. I did a bit of research on the model; it's basically a pre-Accutrigger Savage 10 and it has a very good reputation. I actually prefer the blind magazine over a detachable box; a hinged baseplate would be even better, but I'll live. I do like the three position safety for a field gun and the factory trigger has a reputation for being very tunable.

I'm planning for a low power variable such as a Leupold VX-II 1-4x, a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x or a Nikon Monarch African 1-4x. I might get lucky and find a used AccuPoint 1-4x or 1.25-4x that's affordable. Something illuminated would be nice to have.

I'm also strongly considering having the 22" barrel taken down to 18" and having the barreled action Duracoted or parked.

I should have the rifle home within a few weeks; I'll try and document how the project goes. I wasn't planning on building this one right now so a lot of decisions remain to be made!

kmrtnsn
07-31-10, 18:15
Why .308? Best non-tactical "walking around" rifle I ever had was a Marlin 30-30 Lever Action.

epf
07-31-10, 18:27
Very cool idea. I have been toying with a similar idea for a while now. I came to the same conclusion about .308, seems to have the right mix of availability, ammo selection, and ballistic characteristics for the low cost "do every thing well" but nothing great bolt action.

Look forward to your updates.

Chameleox
07-31-10, 19:08
Why .308? Best non-tactical "walking around" rifle I ever had was a Marlin 30-30 Lever Action.

I've thought about this as well. More of a trunk gun than a scout gun. I often thought that, with enough top rail space, a .30-30 with an H1 and magnifier would be a good all purpose gun.
Also pretty innocuous.

But if the OP is going for a true Scout Gun in Cooper's image, then I think .308 is the way to go, both for ammo effectiveness and availability. Heavy Duty: would you consider a 2-10 scope, to get the most out of the .308's range?

HeavyDuty
07-31-10, 19:24

Commonality with my other .308s. I'm trying to minimize the variety of chamberings; this would be able to eat everything from quality commercial hunting ammunition to milsurp Port 7.62.

I've thought about this as well. More of a trunk gun than a scout gun. I often thought that, with enough top rail space, a .30-30 with an H1 and magnifier would be a good all purpose gun.
Also pretty innocuous.

But if the OP is going for a true Scout Gun in Cooper's image, then I think .308 is the way to go, both for ammo effectiveness and availability. Heavy Duty: would you consider a 2-10 scope, to get the most out of the .308's range?

I'm really not trying to make this a Scout; I gave it a lot of consideration but decided it wasn't what I want. I'm looking more for a lightweight optics-only carbine. 2-10x is a bit more than I'd want to go, as I mentioned I'm really only interested in regularly reaching out to 200M. Beyond that the 700 comes out.

I've toyed with the idea of a 336 with an XS Scout mount and a red dot, but we're back to that commonality of chambering issue. I have nothing else in 30-30 nor am I likely to ever have any.

HeavyDuty
07-31-10, 19:26
Very cool idea. I have been toying with a similar idea for a while now. I came to the same conclusion about .308, seems to have the right mix of availability, ammo selection, and ballistic characteristics for the low cost "do every thing well" but nothing great bolt action.

Look forward to your updates.

Updates may be a little slow, budget dependent.

What direction were you thinking of going with your build? I always like hearing other people's ideas... so I can steal the ones I like. :D

kmrtnsn
07-31-10, 19:36
If you're going .308 look at the Burris 1.5-6X XTR. The reticle is set for .308, that might work for you. I like my 1-4X XTR.

HeavyDuty
07-31-10, 20:09
Thanks for the tip on the Burris, I'll check it out!

rob_s
07-31-10, 20:19
Randy Cain has been teaching a "Practical Rifle" course and advocating a platform like you describe for years. I am hoping to take the course with a borrowed rifle within the next 12 months before building my own.

His concept, distilled down, is Cooper's Scout rifle with a conventional low-powered scope mounted in the traditional spot instead of forward like the scout scope.

4thPointOfContact
07-31-10, 21:07
Are we looking for ideas from which to start?

1) Ruger Frontier is readily available and will, without modification, lock in a 10-round M1A magazine. (It won't be detachable but it will hold 10-rounds.

2) Ishapore 2A1. Has no collectors valuable and grew up unloved and ugly. Also has a 10 or 12-round magazine, can be fed by stripper clips and is in 7.62x51. I have one that is cut down to 'jungle gun' length, bedded in a synthetic stock, wears an XSsightSystems scout scope mount and an FAL flash-hider because you never really know when you might want to mount a bayonet on a 16-inch long barrel.

3) M1903-A3, but only if it's already lost it's collector's value. I saw one recently that had been chopped and channeled, wearing a SMLE flash hider and a 16.5-barrel.

4) Savage/Stevens. As you mentioned they are inexpensive, conveniently chambered, and rugged. Somewhere online there is someone who will mount the feedlips for a stripper on it.
[edit:] Shawn's tactical truck gun (http://www.shawnstactical.com/truckgun.html)

Fun Stuff -
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
XSsightsystems scout scope mount
http://www.xssights.com/store/pix/catalog/scope/scope-bot.jpg

HeavyDuty
07-31-10, 21:33
Rob, I have to admit "Practical Rifle" sound more elegant than "Trunk Gun"!

ST911
07-31-10, 21:38
I put one together. Ruger Youth M77 youth model, .308 Win, 16" barrel w/ short LOP. Had the barrel threaded and a GI flash hider added. Added a rail segment for a light, Eagle stock pouch. Optic right now is a Leupold M8 4x.

Very light, very handy. Well within your accuracy standard with best loads.

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-31-10, 21:55
Im doing the same thing.

FN SPR action 20" factory
Manners MCST stock
I was thinking one of the new 1-4 VORTEX scopes

Army Chief
08-01-10, 06:31
I read the opening post and immediately thought "Marlin lever action in a Trapper configuration," and coincidentally enough, that did show up as the thread progressed.

I've seen some incredible things done with a Model 1895 or 336 (full-length rail, lights ...), and while I'm still weighing the caliber question -- .45/70 or .30-30 -- the concept really appeals to me. Lever guns don't even raise an eyebrow where a Black Gun would result in all kinds of unwanted attention, and their simplicity and ready parts/ammo availability is also a real benefit.

Ammunition is expensive, of course, and speed reloading isn't exactly a strength, but if you're looking at bolt guns, then I have to surmise that you're willing to make a few compromises to achieve a larger goal. For me, that will almost cetainly be addressed by a lever gun.

AC

rob_s
08-01-10, 08:22
The lever gun has some attractive attributes, but it also has some limitations. Operating the action from prone at speed can be an issue, for example. Also if one is looking for the potential to add a can the lever can be limiting.

Remington 7523, from what I can tell, is the ideal but unfortunately they don't make it anymore and appear not to have made them for several years. 6.75 lbs unloaded and un-scoped is an attractive attribute for a 20" bolt-action in .308 and would go down even further if cut to 18".

Army Chief
08-01-10, 11:18
The lever gun has some attractive attributes, but it also has some limitations. Operating the action from prone at speed can be an issue, for example. Also if one is looking for the potential to add a can the lever can be limiting.

I'll split the difference with you, Rob. Like you, I don't see the lever gun as a good candidate for supression (though I'm not sure that would really be of much concern for my purposes), but I find the prone firing issue to be something of a Red Herring. In reality, this is no more challenging than operating an AR with a standard 30-round magazine, and even the simplest of techniques readily mitigate the problem.

Low magazine capacity is really a much bigger issue in my view, though again, I'm not looking at a "walking gun" as a replacement for the AR; merely something to provide response options in places where the AR can not, or should not, go.

AC

rob_s
08-01-10, 11:36
I spent a year give or take screwing around with the lever action and never found a good technique from prone that I could reliably operate the lever. It's the operation of the lever that I never could get anywhere near as smooth as the bolt-action. Maybe I was just never shown the "right" way to do it.

I don't get the comparison to the AR since the AR is cycling itself and there is no manual cycling of the action. If I need to get down super low with the AR I simply rotate the magazine ouboard and fire as many rounds as I need to without a change in position.

Army Chief
08-01-10, 12:05
I don't get the comparison to the AR since the AR is cycling itself and there is no manual cycling of the action. If I need to get down super low with the AR I simply rotate the magazine ouboard and fire as many rounds as I need to without a change in position.

I'm replying on an iPhone, so in brief, you're entirely correct about the action/cycling component here (i.e. versus the AR). I was more referring to the issues attendant with dealing with the compressed workspace/proximity to the ground. Lever gun manipulation in that setting does require one to roll the rifle and/or lift an elbow, though again, I don't really have standard courses of fire in mind here ... more like a snap-firing solution while out on the trail or somesuch when faced with an unanticipated threat.

AC

rljatl
08-01-10, 12:31
Thanks to cowboy action shooting, there are several gunsmiths that specialize in slicking up lever actions, which could include the installation of an optional short stroke kit. Might be worth investigating.

Here's an example: http://www.pioneergunworks.com/page4.html

HeavyDuty
08-01-10, 12:55
There's a lot more interest in this class of rifle here than I would have expected!

As I mentioned I'm committed to building this one on a bolt gun and the Stevens is already in the process of being purchased. I'm not ruling out a lever gun for a future project, but I'm really trying to avoid additional chamberings in the house.

The optic is proving to be an interesting research project. I'm trying to determine the eyebox for the scopes I listed above, I want something forgiving; I suspect the Nikon African will get the nod based on overall performance and price. I did find discussion on the new Leatherwood CMR, but I'm a little concerned the quality wouldn't be in the same range as a Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II which are the minimum quality I'd consider for a serious rifle. The illuminated reticle would be nice, though...

kmrtnsn
08-01-10, 13:18
Lever action rifles have always held my fascination. Maybe it comes from watching B&W western movies on TV as a kid (dating myself). For those fixated on military arms, the lever action was initially a cavalry rifle, then a carbine and has seen combat with American forces as recently as the last century (Spanish-American War).

4thPointOfContact
08-01-10, 14:26
Like a few others, I too have a lever-gun. In my case a post-64 Model 94 AE. That horrid crossbolt safety's been removed and all the wood painted tacticool black. I went with a scout scope mount that replaced the normal rear sight halfway down the barrel. The original maker was WildWestGuns (http://www.wildwestguns.com/accessories.html) but XSSightsystems (http://www.xssights.com/store/scope.html) has a similar setup. My only real complain with a lever action is that my fingers must be the wrong shape as I'm always jamming a fingernail against the receiver when I throw a round through the loading gate.

HeavyDuty
08-01-10, 19:06
Man, you lever gun guys need to go get a room. ;)

Someone suggested I might want to look at a shotgun version of a 1-4x for this rifle. They seem to generally have 75 yard parallax, so I suspect they could be a better match for a point-blank-to-200-yard rifle like I'm trying to build. Can anyone comment?

Army Chief
08-01-10, 19:19
The lever gun topic really is another thread -- I apologize for contributing to the hijack.

In my case, a lot of this was recently brought back into the forefront with a trip to Superior Firearms (http://superiorfirearmsllc.com/), as one of the owners has a particular penchant -- and talent -- for turning these guns into low-profile 16" "almost tactical" masterpieces.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_O-TaBU_QoKI/S9M5emregNI/AAAAAAAACOA/0CVRTkJR2OY/s1024/100_0906.JPG

I really don't have a lot to add, but for those who might wish to explore the lever gun topic further, I suspect that would best be done elsewhere.

Thanks for your patience to this point, HeavyDuty. We now return you to your bolt gun thread, already in progress. =]

AC

4thPointOfContact
08-01-10, 19:44
Man, you lever gun guys need to go get a room. ;)

Someone suggested I might want to look at a shotgun version of a 1-4x for this rifle. They seem to generally have 75 yard parallax, so I suspect they could be a better match for a point-blank-to-200-yard rifle like I'm trying to build. Can anyone comment?

The 'scout scope' on my pseudo-scout is a turkey scope. (Purchesed over 10 years ago when more modern stuff hadn't been invented.) According to the elevation cap, it's a Simmon's brand 3x28 LED w/illuminated reticle. Yes, it's inexpensive and no, it's not nearly mil-spec; but I'm not in the business where I might have to shoot people every day either.

Edit: errp.. not a 1x4. I've got a 1.75-4x, .... somewhere ... just not mounted on anything.

HeavyDuty
08-01-10, 20:23
All in jest, Army Chief - I certainly appreciate the leverguns, and that pic is almost exactly how I would build one up. I was looking at doing an 336XLR cut to 16" (or was it 18"? - flush with the 5 round magazine in any case) with an XS Scout Rail, synthetic furniture and a red dot.

GermanSynergy
08-01-10, 23:30
How about a K98 with a T-1 Micro? :ph34r:

4thPointOfContact
08-02-10, 01:40
I'd like to scope my FR8, but there's really no where to put one :(

C-grunt
08-02-10, 02:13
Ive always thought a Milsurp chambered in .308 would make the ultimate trunk gun. Good common chambering in a simpe rifle that will last for decades of hard use. Also have good tough irons as well.

Army Chief
08-02-10, 06:01
How about a K98 with a T-1 Micro? :ph34r:

That's essentially the direction I went, albeit with a G.33/40 version ... though I added S&B glass and paid a king's ransom for the sporting conversion, so it is anything but a trunk gun.

http://www.m3resource.com/images/karabiner.jpg

Does a very nice job on big boar, though. ;)

AC

HeavyDuty
08-02-10, 08:09
I'd like to scope my FR8, but there's really no where to put one :(

Ive always thought a Milsurp chambered in .308 would make the ultimate trunk gun. Good common chambering in a simpe rifle that will last for decades of hard use. Also have good tough irons as well.

My first attempt at this was an FR-8. Great gun, but an ergonomic disaster, heavy, and very difficult to scope effectively. I still have it and enjoy it, but it's not what I'm looking for this time.

HeavyDuty
08-02-10, 08:18
I tried to get $300 1-3x - 1-4x info at one of the well known optics discussion boards and am getting everything from "get a 2-7" to "buy this $600 scope" and "build a scout rifle". This may be the most challenging part of the project because there's little chance I'll be able to handle every option that interests me before I buy.

I may take a drive after work to a larger store to check out what they have.

I'm also considering selling a kidney to buy a TR-21 or TR-24.

rob_s
08-02-10, 08:30
The TR24G (http://trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=673&back_row=0&categoryID=5) is high on my list of optics to pick up, both for my 12.5" 6.8 AR and the potential practical rifle. The TR21G (http://trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=676&back_row=1&categoryID=5) might be an even better option on the bolt-action.

Keith E.
08-02-10, 11:57
How about a Remington 788 or one of the vanilla Wal-Mart variants of the 700? Bbl cut to your length preference, glass and go.

Keith

rob_s
08-02-10, 12:09
How about a Remington 788 or one of the vanilla Wal-Mart variants of the 700? Bbl cut to your length preference, glass and go.

Keith

The problem with this is that Remington seems to be run by complete idiots. The 700 BDL (http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-bdl.aspx) for example doesn't come in .308? But it does come in .223? Huh?

maximus83
08-03-10, 12:46
I'm interested in putting together something similar to the OP's specs.

Question: I wonder if the somewhat revamped 2010 model of the Savage Scout is a contender? Runs 6.65 lb, 20" barrel, 39.75" OAL, includes iron sights, scout scope mount, and a detachable mag system (4rd mags--not sure if it can hold the 10rd mags available in other Savage LE-class rifles). As a "practical rifle", the detachable mag thing does sound useful and would somewhat level the playing field between the bolt action and a lever. I'm interested in the Scout because you can also get it done in a LH action.

Keith E.
08-03-10, 12:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith E.

Keith

The problem with this is that Remington seems to be run by complete idiots. The 700 BDL for example doesn't come in .308? But it does come in .223? Huh?

I was thinking SPS when I mentioned vanilla. :)

Keith

rob_s
08-03-10, 13:03
I'm interested in putting together something similar to the OP's specs.

Question: I wonder if the somewhat revamped 2010 model of the Savage Scout is a contender? Runs 6.65 lb, 20" barrel, 39.75" OAL, includes iron sights, scout scope mount, and a detachable mag system (4rd mags--not sure if it can hold the 10rd mags available in other Savage LE-class rifles). As a "practical rifle", the detachable mag thing does sound useful and would somewhat level the playing field between the bolt action and a lever. I'm interested in the Scout because you can also get it done in a LH action.

I was headed down this path, and then saw the then-current Scout at 2009 SHOT in Orlando and hated the gun. The stock was horrible, and the Accutrigger (or whatever they call it) seemed horrendous to me. Subsequent to this I can think of at least one guy that showed up to Randy's class with a Scout and spent three days battling the gun instead of learning. All of this combined did nothing to foster confidence in the model or the brand as a whole.

rob_s
08-03-10, 13:05
I was thinking SPS when I mentioned vanilla. :)

Keith

For a "practical" rifle, meaning one that you're going to potentially be hoofing under your own power, the SPS seems to me to have too heavy a barrel.

Remington model 7523, discontinued, appears to me to be the best damn gun they've made in the last 10 years. So of course they discontinue it and none are to be found on the used market online...

This is what I'd want
http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_seven_youth.jpg

ETA:
Maybe the SPS Compact? In .308 model 27359. Synthetic stock probably doesn't lend itself to cutting, but the 24" barrel could easily lose 6" and have iron sights added (I would hope).

http://remington.com/~/media/Images/Firearms/Centerfire/Model-700/700-SPS-prod.ashx?w=570&bc=ffffff

rob_s
08-03-10, 13:12
Maybe this (http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/itemdetail.asp?id=535109220), cut the barrel and stock, add some sights?

Thomas M-4
08-03-10, 13:43
Well there seems to be a few of us beating on this bush :lol:

I have been looking at a Howa 1500 barrels action. http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/specs/specs_baractions.html

Original idea was a standard stainless in .308 cut the barrel down to 19-20''. Send the bolt off to short action customs to have a larger bolt knob installed http://shortactioncustoms.com/BoltKnobConversions.html

Then a light weight stock Lone wolf summit perhaps.

And rob_s suggestion on the accupoint optic.

PrivateCitizen
08-03-10, 13:48
I like this idea a lot. It is the 'general' rifle.

Conceptually, for me, it could be .223 or .308 …

Savage? Heard good things … several buds have them.

The new Edge is like $300. Detachable box. Could chop that to a 20" and still do well and not break the bank. Even if just as a proof of concept.

The Savage 10 FCM Scout looks a like what rob is after if not a Remington or Winchester.

MistWolf
08-03-10, 18:24
I tried to get $300 1-3x - 1-4x info at one of the well known optics discussion boards and am getting everything from "get a 2-7" to "buy this $600 scope" and "build a scout rifle". This may be the most challenging part of the project because there's little chance I'll be able to handle every option that interests me before I buy.

I may take a drive after work to a larger store to check out what they have.

I'm also considering selling a kidney to buy a TR-21 or TR-24.It's much easier to shoot longer distances with a low power optic than it is to shoot at "bad breath" range with a high powered scope. So don't sweat trying to set up the rifle to handle every option.

As a kid, I was fortunate that I had plenty of opportunity to fire a variety of rifles in a variety calibers. You can make hits out pretty far with a 4x scope or even open sights.

I've used a few different rifles for a walkabout. I'm not concerned about caliber commonality but it should be easy to find a 308 bolt action of your favorite make with a sporter weight barrel. Put a Pachmyer Decelerator on it, a 1 1/4" sling and optic of your choice & call it good. Myself, I like a 22" barrel. Short enough to be handy, and I like the balance. I've even used an M14 for a walkabout and enjoyed it very much.

Buy a good used rifle and a used optic and save yourself a few bucks

Here's a link to a Bushnell 1.25-4x Rainguard for $318
http://www.usedhuntingscopes.com/scopeshop/huntingscopes-162020011-B0000A0AFX-Bushnell_Elite_4200_125_4_x_24_Matte_Rainguard_Riflescope.html

HeavyDuty
08-03-10, 20:27
I took a drive after work to one of the largest gun stores in the area and they didn't have the Nikon, the Weaver nor the VX-II. They did have a Mark AR 1.5-4x, not bad - but I want to see the VX-II in particular first. I think it's time for a Cabellas trip.

C-grunt
08-04-10, 16:47
What about the short CZ rifles with irons and detachable mags? Cant remember the name right now but it comes in .223 and 7.62x39.

C-grunt
08-04-10, 16:50
Got it. The 527 carbine.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/

carshooter
08-04-10, 20:24
I built something very similar a couple of years ago. I already had a .308 Heavy Barrel "precision rig", but I wanted something much lighter and more portable.

I used a Remington Model 7 .308 and put it in a synthetic stock. I used KG gun coat on the metal and mounted a 2-7X Leupold VariX-III. I considered a lower power variable, but I wanted the option of slightly more magnification. 2x magnification is low enough for most of what I do with this rifle.

Remington still catalogs the Model 7 in .308, and there are a lot of older different variants out there. (I found mine used)

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-seven/model-seven-cdl.aspx

HeavyDuty
08-04-10, 20:38
I found a VX-II 1-4x heavy duplex to check out tonight. I'm liking it the best of the ones I've seen so far, I may go back for it.

Powder_Burn
08-04-10, 20:53
FN marketed the "Patrol .308". It had a four round detachable mag, 16" barrel with muzzle brake, Hogue synthetic stock, and a Mauser style extractor. Looked good on paper but I do not know about their real-world quality. I believe these were built at the old Winchester plant in Hartford. You can still find them NIB for $650.

Pilgrim
08-04-10, 20:59
I found a VX-II 1-4x heavy duplex to check out tonight. I'm liking it the best of the ones I've seen so far, I may go back for it.

I've got a VX-II 1-4x20 on an AR using a LaRue.

Performance wise, it's not the clearest optic in the world, have a little issues seeing at dusk for example, but what do you expect for that price range? As to 'targeting ability' plenty quick close up as long as you land on the stock right, and basketball sized groups at 400 are not uncommon.

As you may have noticed, it's not really a 1-4, it's more of a 1.25-4.

I do not regret getting this scope at all, it's been easy to re-zero the dozen times I've done it (changing ammo/guns), and 100% reliable maintaining a zero for the 1000 rounds fired while using it.

It is the scope on my 'go-to' gun.

Would I trade it for the Nikon AR-223 1-4x20 scope??? Maybe.

mark5pt56
08-05-10, 10:26
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_0981.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_0982.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_0983.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/002-1.jpg

Fringe
08-05-10, 10:57
Maybe I have missed something, but why not chop the barrel to 18"?

I have an 18" GAP gun and I am glad I do. I love it. It will have an AAC 762SD soon.

Combat_Diver
08-05-10, 11:03
While I have a commerical Mauser 98 in .308 with a Leupold 2-7 VXII mounted thats my hunting rifle not a truck gun. I bought a Scout Type rifle from a gunsmith friend of mine back around 91-92' off of 91'MN ($40). Rifle was a 1891 Tula built in 1904. He add a Bushnell Phantom 3x scope to it which I had for a few years. Barrel is cut to around 18" and is ported. Still retains the charger for stripper clips.

Then during a ammo expenditure at the end of the year at work and no 7.62x54R guns available, I took out my carbines (other is a Polish 1953 dated M44). 1000 rds later that day the reticle was toast and the windage knob broke off. I've since added a cheap NCStar red/green dot to it and a coat of Krylon. Still have only $80 in it and it stays in my truck during the short times when I'm home. If it gets stolen no big loss but does give me the ability to reach 200yds and reload quickly. I may put some glass back on it at a future date but nothing at the moment.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/91_close_up.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Mosin_Nagants_PC140134.JPG

CD

PrivateCitizen
08-05-10, 11:49

Excellent. Details? Particularly the comp and irons work.

mark5pt56
08-05-10, 12:41
The comp is a Holland Quick Discharge brake, very effective. The front is a N.E.C.G. (New England Custom Gun)banded, soldered on and has a gold bar insert post. Rear is an Ashley ghost ring rear base and the rings are Leupold quick release, scope Luepold 1.5-5. Stock .308 SPS, barrel cut to 18" and threaded.

Work was done by a local smith Bob Yurina of Antique and Modern Repair in Va. Beach.

This was a test case of mine. I may do another with a match grade barrel and blend the front band better and decide on muzzle device if plans change for a can. Nicer stock and Trijicon 1-4 with green triangle. At the very least, this one will sport the new scope soon.

I prefer the rear mounted scope. Two other options-forward mount and clip slot the receiver or installed a Badger or CDI AI mag kit.

I did change the sling-used strap and took the slider of a VCAS.

Overall, other than a dealer cost rifle, the parts and minimal labor. I know some of these "scout" guns are nice, but I do not and never will see 3500-4000 for them, crack is bad for you.

Mark

thopkins22
08-05-10, 12:47
Absolutely wicked way to incorporate decent irons.

I've never shot a gold front, but I've heard good things. Next best thing to tritium without the shelf life?

xjustintimex
08-05-10, 15:17

same here, I have always loved mine for walking around in the brush for deer.

HeavyDuty
08-05-10, 21:51
Maybe I have missed something, but why not chop the barrel to 18"?

I have an 18" GAP gun and I am glad I do. I love it. It will have an AAC 762SD soon.

I'm considering it - see the OP.

Fringe
08-06-10, 13:36
I'm considering it - see the OP.

I would do it. 20" guns from what I hear, the differences are not noticeable.

rudy99
08-09-10, 17:01
You could try to find an old Remington Mohawk rifle at a gun show. Has an 18.5" barrel (I think) so it is pretty short and it is a bolt gun. My father's buddy has one in .243 and it handles rather well. Might be a bit of a challenge to find one in .308, but you never know.

Gutshot John
08-09-10, 18:24
I would argue that if this is a "trunk" gun, the implication that being you'll be using it in and around vehicles, that 20" is the longest I would consider.

18" is probably ideal with low/variable power optic. 1-4x or 3-9x with mil-dot reticle.

I like the idea of 30.06, .308 or 30/30. It's really not that hard to cycle a lever-action in the prone.

Nathan_Bell
08-11-10, 10:04
I would argue that if this is a "trunk" gun, the implication that being you'll be using it in and around vehicles, that 20" is the longest I would consider.

18" is probably ideal with low/variable power optic. 1-4x or 3-9x with mil-dot reticle.

I like the idea of 30.06, .308 or 30/30. It's really not that hard to cycle a lever-action in the prone.

45.70 Marlin 1895GS. Stainless, easy to use, and non-scary.
Factory 300 grain HP's are super soft recoiling and expand like a MFer. ReVolution rubber pointed spitzers are flat enough that you can use minimal hold over out to 200. 405Gr hardcast, jacketed or not, modern loads will take care of most things that walk the Earth.

epf
08-11-10, 10:28
My thoughts go right to something like a modern version of the enfield jungle carbine. Does anything come close to those specifications?

Gutshot John
08-11-10, 16:53
45.70 Marlin 1895GS. Stainless, easy to use, and non-scary.
Factory 300 grain HP's are super soft recoiling and expand like a MFer. ReVolution rubber pointed spitzers are flat enough that you can use minimal hold over out to 200. 405Gr hardcast, jacketed or not, modern loads will take care of most things that walk the Earth.

Oh no doubt it's verrrrry effective. I'd just prefer a bit more range. 600-800 yards sounds like a nice round number.

HeavyDuty
08-16-10, 08:34
The Stevens 200 finally came home from the store last night. It appears to have enough meat to have the barrel cut to 18" and threaded for a muzzle device and a low profile thread protector (0.635 diameter at the cut). I've pretty much decided on the Nikon 1-4x; a mount has already been ordered.

I was able to pick up a different low-buck stock for a whopping $20; Academy stores offer these Stevens with a FDE version of the normal battleship gray Tupperware stock. For a 200M lightweight carbine it should be fine. If it proves to be too noodly there's a easy way to make it more rigid with an aluminum channel.

HeavyDuty
08-21-10, 20:36
The mount came in this week (a DNZ one-piece); I finally had a chance to handle a Nikon African 1-4x today in a store up the road. I think it will work out fine and hope to have it ordered in the next week or so.

jwfuhrman
08-25-10, 20:31
not to high jack your thread HD, but do you by chance know what stocks will fit a Stevens 200(308). Maybe a McMillan A5 as I thought I saw that they make them for Savage actions.

HeavyDuty
08-26-10, 07:44
Not a whole lot out there that a current production straightfeed SA Stevens 200 will drop into. Most stocks are for staggerfeeds; Hogue has a line in development that will be worth checking out (details are on their website) and Stockade makes them semi-custom right now:

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html

I wanted to stay lightweight so I'm sticking with the factory stock for now. I did find one in FDE to replace the battleship grey...

jwfuhrman
08-26-10, 07:53
thanks for the info

HeavyDuty
09-01-10, 08:29
After the USPS inducing panic for a week by losing the package containing two scopes and a red dot, the Nikon 1-4X African showed up Monday. I mounted it up this morning in a DNZ low one piece mount.

I think this will work just fine.

Todd.K
09-01-10, 13:05
Model Seven Youth, .260 Rem, barrel shortened to 16.5".

The long eye relief of the TR21 with the youth stock required a "semi-scout" configuration. The rear ring mounted on the receiver and I made a base for the front ring that attached to the barrel.

Iowa Don
09-03-10, 11:23
About 30 years ago I bought for $75 an American pattern 1917 Enfield from a retired Sherriff's Captain. It has a Winchester bolt and a Remington action. I used some mikes, and wonder of wonders, everything checked out just fine, most especially headspace. Some previous owner has shortened the forearm with a handsaw, and I have seen no reason to amend that little bit of ugliness. That's work, and I'm agin' work. In fact, I have a Ph.D in Laziness.lazy2

It shoots well, despite having a dark bore, and my nephew (Dist. Rifleman) can put them all in the 10 ring at 600 prone. What more do you need? It still has the old steel buttplate, and being a heavy rifle, is good for bashing all sorts of things. Smeared with RIG, it is stowed way back in the trunk in a beat up old case, and draws no attention, especially since it can't be cursorily seen. Ammo - well, if they don't have .30-06, it's time to get the Hell outa' Dodge.::

I do think those on this thread who have suggested a Marlin or Savage .45-70 with a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20mm Iilluminated reticle crosshair scope have hit the nail dead on the head. They will stand even Garret's 500 grain "nuclear bomb" loads, and with the scope properly adjusted, deliver enough energy to the right spot to drop an elephant. With large number of bullets avaiable (cast and otherwise) you can load this up or down for anything, and Old Griz will tumble too.

Respectfully
Donald H. Conner
connerdsmia@earthlink.net

Thomas M-4
09-03-10, 11:32
Model Seven Youth, .260 Rem, barrel shortened to 16.5".

The long eye relief of the TR21 with the youth stock required a "semi-scout" configuration. The rear ring mounted on the receiver and I made a base for the front ring that attached to the barrel.

Very interesting rifle you have there Todd.
How would I go about having that same configuration on a Howa 1500?

Todd.K
09-03-10, 13:03
I had to make the front mount that attaches to the barrel. If I was building it today I would try to use the TR24 or Leupold 1.5-5 in the normal position.

You might be able to fit this to the barrel and have a gunsmith drill/tap.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=6565/sku/Black_Rem__700_Scout_Mount

Or turn down the barrel for one of these.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=233/sku/106_Sporter_Mount

Thomas M-4
09-03-10, 17:00
I had to make the front mount that attaches to the barrel. If I was building it today I would try to use the TR24 or Leupold 1.5-5 in the normal position.

You might be able to fit this to the barrel and have a gunsmith drill/tap.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=6565/sku/Black_Rem__700_Scout_Mount

Or turn down the barrel for one of these.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=233/sku/106_Sporter_Mount

Thanks for the info Todd. Agree TR24 in the normal position would probably be best. Interesting Idea with the TR21 in the position that you have it would allow for a BUIS something like a Brockman rear sight aperture.

AnimalMother556
09-03-10, 17:35
Keep us posted on that rifle HD, I've been interested in something similar for awhile now. Used to have an Enfield jungle carbine and I kick myself daily for getting rid of it.

HeavyDuty
09-04-10, 09:37
The basic pieces are together - now to see how it shoots!

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac123/HDF62/200.jpg

I still need to figure out slinging and decide if I'm going to take the barrel down to 18", thread it and add a low profile thread protector.

OMD
09-09-10, 09:33
I love it! Congratz on making it your own. You made a model 7 on YOUR budget, which is why I still don't own a 7. Can I copy you :D

Dan Goodwin
09-23-10, 16:49
I might have to do one of those in .223! My only suggestion might be to go with a fixed Leupold 2.5X or 4X to keep weight down. Plenty of magnification for hunting or defense out to 200 yards...

MrPink
09-28-10, 17:17
Late on this thread.....

You are basically talking about my VT Mountains whitetail deer gun: Kimber 84M Montana, bbl cut to 20", Talley Al rings and a 1-4x (I've used both my Nightforce and Trijicon). Wilderness Sling. I use 308 Hornady GMX in 165.

Not even 6.5 pounds loaded.

HeavyDuty
09-30-10, 07:44
I'm beginning to reconsider the 18" cut - it's pretty damn handy as it is at 22".

J-Dub
10-05-10, 10:41
I am waiting for academy to put the stevens 200 on sale again for 189.00

I want one in .243 or .223 and cut the barrel down to 18" also...of course .308 would be nice too....hmmm

padwan
10-23-10, 06:22
Caught this thread late.

The CZ 527 Carbine from CZ looks like an interesting option in .30 Russian. Priced pretty reasonably too, but magazines are about $40 a piece MSRP.

Higher up the range, the Remington XCR Compact sounds tempting. Chambered in .308, a lot of ammo options are to be had. No iron sights on this rifle, unlike the CZ.

I have no use for a Chandler or an AWP, but these two bolt guns have me pretty excited. Can't wait for Christmas.

M4Fundi
10-23-10, 06:40
I love lever actions but have had them break down on me enough and seen guys with slicked up versions at carbine shoots break down enough that I just think there are better rifles to bet my life on. For a "trunkgun" that fits your description a Winchester Mod 70 with a 16" bbl set up as a scout rifle... big control feed extractor, super reliable, price is very reasonable, lot of successful history as a sniper and dangerous game rifle and 200yd accuracy is a cinch.... that would be my choice.

mark5pt56
10-24-10, 06:41
If Remington would consider building a factory "Scout" type carbine, it would be sweet and would make them some serious captital.

primarily .308 at first
16 or 18" barrel
A decent synthetic stock
irons-maybe use the Ashley's

I would make it with a clip slotted receiver and set up to take AI mags. Receiver able to take traditional scope mount or Scout.

or
version one
forward scope mount, clip slot receiver

version two
standard scope mounting and detachable mag

adh
12-03-10, 22:31
If Remington would consider building a factory "Scout" type carbine, it would be sweet and would make them some serious captital.

primarily .308 at first
16 or 18" barrel
A decent synthetic stock

I would make it with a clip slotted receiver and set up to take AI mags. Receiver able to take traditional scope mount or Scout.

or
version one

version two

Yeah, I agree with you....I think that Remington would be able to to basically build a factory semi-custom rifle and have a real winner on their hands

austinN4
12-04-10, 07:11
I didn't go thru the whole thread, and maybe somebody already posted this, but CDDN has a 16" complete FN Patrol Rifle for $599. See page 16: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

Eurodriver
12-05-10, 19:30
I wonder if that muzzle break is perm to the barrel or if its removable with regular 7.62 threads. If so, I'd pick on up.

okie john
12-06-10, 16:05
I'm beginning to reconsider the 18" cut - it's pretty damn handy as it is at 22".

I owned a very nice 18" M-7 Scout in 308 built out using XS/Ashley parts. I also had an 18" psuedo-Scout built in 30/06 and used nothing else for several years. I even exchanged several letters with Jeff Cooper and Finn Aagaard on the concept, and I wrote a college term paper on it.

It was an interesting series of exercises, but both rifles were as loud as howitzers and not noticeably handier than a 22" bolt gun. And you want to be very careful with milsurp 7.62 ammo in a commerical 308 rifle--a lot of it won't chamber, and 4 MOA can be a pipe dream. I went to a 22" 308 with a 4x Leupold, and a lot of other Cooper disciples basically did the same.

But that was 15 years ago. Now I wonder if putting that money into a 6.8 SPC upper with co-witnessed iron/glass sights would be a better idea.

Okie John

Dan Goodwin
12-08-10, 21:44
The real problem with a "trunk gun" is you don't have it out of the trunk when you need it. That's why I keep a carbine and/or shotgun in the passenger compartment where I can reach it at work.

A shorter barrel is helpful if you need to maneuver it around in the passenger compartment and snake it out a window.

Hope that Stevens is working out for the OP.

mark5pt56
12-09-10, 06:26
For a "practical" rifle, meaning one that you're going to potentially be hoofing under your own power, the SPS seems to me to have too heavy a barrel.

Remington model 7523, discontinued, appears to me to be the best damn gun they've made in the last 10 years. So of course they discontinue it and none are to be found on the used market online...

This is what I'd want

ETA:
Maybe the SPS Compact? In .308 model 27359. Synthetic stock probably doesn't lend itself to cutting, but the 24" barrel could easily lose 6" and have iron sights added (I would hope).

http://remington.com/~/media/Images/Firearms/Centerfire/Model-700/700-SPS-prod.ashx?w=570&bc=ffffff

You said what? I'm hoping to be doing version two soon.

It now wears a modified VCAS and will add a Trijicon TRG24G one day

rob_s
12-09-10, 08:21
Now I wonder if putting that money into a 6.8 SPC upper with co-witnessed iron/glass sights would be a better idea.

Maybe, but it doesn't always fit within the rationale.

For some, the idea of training to fight with the bolt gun today is because they have a fear that it may be the only gun they have tomorrow due to legislative changes.

Then there's the factor of having a bolt gun in the trunk that cost $600 vs. the AR that cost 2x as much. Obviously if you get sucked into the customization vortex that goes right out the window, but this is why I want this gun (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/3/products_id/97523) so badly. Yeah I'd rather have an 18" barrel, yeah I'd rather have a suppressor mount FH on the end of it, yeah there are some other tweaks I'd like, but realistically I could buy that $450 rifle and put a $400 scope on it and be WELL served with a complete package for under the cost of a basic AR.

Finally, there is a *perception* of greater reliability with the bolt gun, but if one chooses their bolt gun poorly that may not quite pan out that way.

HeavyDuty
12-09-10, 08:37
Hope that Stevens is working out for the OP.

So far, so good - ask me again in a year.

Terry
12-21-10, 08:10
Just throwing this out there, as I am considering the same thing.
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/550CarbineKevlar/

okie john
12-21-10, 12:04
Just throwing this out there, as I am considering the same thing.
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/550CarbineKevlar/

Interesting choice. I built something similar on a 550 American in 9.3x62 a few years ago and shot a bunch of feral cattle with it. Mine was superbly accurate as are most CZ 550's. At 7 lbs, recoil should be interesting.

Okie John

HumblePie
12-21-10, 15:56
I've gotten good service out of a Mossberg ATR100 in .30-06. Seven pounds, plus a Nikon 3-9. Pretty basic, but reliable.

mattjmcd
12-21-10, 19:01
Granted, there is not a lot of new ground to cover, but as a SoCal, the topic remains relevant.

I went the CZ 527 route in 7.62x39 with a VXII 2-7.

Another option I explored is the Sako Bavarian. It's pricey, but it has factory irons, detachable double column box, and a solid rep for accuracy.

Country Boy
12-21-10, 20:14
cz 527 in 7.62x39 would be very good. or a mini-30, sks or enfield.

you can get a howa?
http://www.legacysports.com/images/_products/HOW_AxiomCamoScope.jpg

wish i could get me one of these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/M10A.jpg

why not get a trunk monkey instead of a trunk gun...:sarcastic:

usmcvet
12-21-10, 20:54

primarily .308 at first
16 or 18" barrel
A decent synthetic stock

or
version one

version two

I had a Ruger Compact Rifle in .308 I sold it because the stock was too short for me. Thing was light around 5#'s with a 16" bbl. 180's were a little nasty to shoot. 150's were just right for me. I thought I saw they were making the same gun as a Scout including rings. Worth a look.

usmcvet
12-21-10, 21:05
Lever action rifles have always held my fascination. Maybe it comes from watching B&W western movies on TV as a kid (dating myself). For those fixated on military arms, the lever action was initially a cavalry rifle, then a carbine and has seen combat with American forces as recently as the last century (Spanish-American War).

Im with you. Johns Wayne movies, the Lone Ranger and the Rifleman I watched.them with my Dad. I loved that stuff.

I have a Marlin Guide gun in .44 mag. It has a 16" ported bbl and I think it holds ten rounds. It weighs about five pounds. Mine wears Ashley Peep Sights. I've thought about the AO scout mount many times. Just never got around to it.

spdldr
12-21-10, 23:44
This is a topic that has been interesting to me for a long time. I've had a lot of experience shooting small and big game with the .223, .22-250, and .308. I've shot black bear and deer with the .308. Deer and rockchucks with the .223 and .22-250. As far as I'm concerned, a .22-250 with a 22" barrel and 3-9 Accupoint scope would be king. A 2-7 would be even better,but they don't make one. A close second would be a .223 with 8 or 9" twist. Most of this hunting was in high desert, getting in and out of vehicles often, and the 22" was no problem. It is also no problem in brush and has far less blast and muzzle flash than a 16 or 18".

The most common "emergency" use would probably be jumping out of a rig to finish an animal struck by a car. Another would be shooting a predator that might actually be killing livestock.

The range in these scenarios can vary from 25 to 400 yards. The .22-250 is outstanding for this. It is not as position sensitive for longer ranges as the .308. You can often spot the hit or miss through the scope, which is valuable when you are by yourself. And of course the point blank range is much better than either of the other calibers. The 3-9X or 2-7 would be very handy when you don't have time to grab binocs.

A fellow that welds my Redi-Mags is a FANATICAL big game hunter. He uses a .22-250 in preference to his .270 for 200-250 pound mule deer. With the proper bullet, it is incredibly effective.

spdldr
12-22-10, 11:09
Since many states prohibit a loaded weapon in a vehicle, a detachable magazine would be very desirable. The stock should be wood colored or possibly non-black synthetic, and the barrel must be free floated. Back up irons are an asset and the classic Weaver rings are light weight and quick detachable with good return to zero.(re-tighten them to the same points on a clock) A heavy rain can make optical sights almost useless. The carrying strap must be light weight and simple to use, preferably wider than 1".

Also it is a good thing if the bolt can be field stripped without tools, and the trigger will still work well with crud inside. The model 70 trigger is outstanding in this area. Avoid the Springfield action as the firing pin is more subject to breakage than others. The 98 Mauser action is excellent under all conditions. And of course, keep a simple cable bore cleaner in your kit.

JStor
12-22-10, 12:55
Though the .22-250 is a fine cartridge, I would stick with a .308 as it is less specialized. You can make the .308 do everything the .22-250 does and more...because of bullet weight.

Barrel life on the .308 will be far greater, and if recoil sensitivity demands a lighter round, the .308 can work well with 125 grain projectiles. I like a 150 or 165 grain bullet for deer sized game, and for heavier barrelled rifles, the 175 gr. Sierra MatchKing gets the nod.

Jake'sDad
12-23-10, 12:30
I have a Marlin Guide gun in .44 mag. It has a 16" ported bbl and I think it holds ten rounds. It weighs about five pounds.

I've got the same gun. Mine weighs 6 1/2 lbs without scope.

usmcvet
12-23-10, 15:09
I've got the same gun. Mine weighs 6 1/2 lbs without scope.

I wonder why your .44 1894P weighs so much more than mine. :sarcastic: I must have goofed on the weight. It is a really handy little gun. What kind of scope are you using? Have you tried the scout mount?

Jake'sDad
12-23-10, 15:15
I wonder why your .44 1894P weighs so much more than mine. :sarcastic: I must have goofed on the weight. It is a really handy little gun. What kind of scope are you using? Have you tried the scout mount?

I've never scoped it, just put ghost rings on it, as I did on my 1895's. As my vision gets worse, I'll likely look into a low power scope/red dot some day.

I wish someone made a reasonably priced, lighter weight synthetic stock set for the Marlins. Probably could get the weight close to 5 lbs.

usmcvet
12-23-10, 15:20
That is where I'm at too.

Texagator
12-31-10, 22:33
What's going on here? I talked about something very similar to all of this on another forum about a year ago and everyone acted like I was insane! "Who would possibly want a light, bolt-action rifle with a DBM in this day and age? Semi-auto .308 is the only way to go."

How is it that I come to an M4 carbine forum and find a bunch of people thinking the same thing I have been thinking? And actually considering the Stevens as a platform to build it on!

This is great.

Jake'sDad
12-31-10, 23:17
And as if on cue....here's something we wouldn't have seen 20 years ago......

The Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/index.html)

HeavyDuty
01-01-11, 10:26
What's going on here? I talked about something very similar to all of this on another forum about a year ago and everyone acted like I was insane! "Who would possibly want a light, bolt-action rifle with a DBM in this day and age? Semi-auto .308 is the only way to go."

How is it that I come to an M4 carbine forum and find a bunch of people thinking the same thing I have been thinking? And actually considering the Stevens as a platform to build it on!

This is great.

Part of it might be M4C's traditional focus on practical usage instead of flavor-of-the-week.

And I highly recommend the Stevens 200 as a starting point if it meets your needs. I'm still evaluating this rifle, but I haven't found anything that is a deal killer.

Texagator
01-01-11, 11:55
And I highly recommend the Stevens 200 as a starting point if it meets your needs. I'm still evaluating this rifle, but I haven't found anything that is a deal killer.
I haven't done a lot of research on the Stevens but the lady at Sharp Shooter Supply told me the Stevens action is identical to the Savage 10. Do you know if the "add ons" meant for the Savage 10 would work on a Stevens? I'm not sure but adding bottom metal and AICS magazines to a Savage Scout might get you a practical, high capacity bolt gun DBM. Could this also work for a Stevens?

Here is CDI Precision's (http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/c1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=29) AICS conversion for the Savage:
http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/c1/images/Guns/cdiprecisiongunworks-13.jpg

Here's the Savage Scout in its current factory configuration:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/Texagator/SavageScout.jpg

Compared to the Stevens 200:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/Texagator/Stevens200.jpg

HeavyDuty
01-01-11, 13:08
My understanding is that the Stevens 200 is basically an old-model (pre-Accutrigger) Savage. The vast majority of Savage stuff works with no problems.

Bulldog1967
01-01-11, 15:32
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_0982.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_0983.jpg

Need details on that stick.

Daddy likes! :D

PlatoCATM
01-01-11, 15:49
Need details on that stick.

Daddy likes! :D

The details are on page 3.

trooper430
01-01-11, 17:04
About 2 years ago, I bought a Ruger Frontier Carbine in .308. I mounted a Leupold 2.5 power scout scope on it. It is a great deer gun here in Missouri. I hunt mostly in the woods and do not expect to take a shot over 200 yards. The short barrel is great for moving through the woods and not getting hung up on anything.

Dan Goodwin
01-02-11, 01:24
I recently put a 2.5X LW w HD reticle on my .358 Frontier. It is the perfect Easter deer carbine.

big 54r
01-02-11, 14:56
...wish i could get me one of these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/M10A.jpg

what is this rifle?...looks like some sort of enfield.:confused:

my "trunk/truck gun" is a MN m44 with a hollowed out stock and corked barrel ala "box-of-truth" style with a bedded action to help accurize the thing. They are sorta hard to scope so I got the scout mount but haven't put it on yet. I cut of the bayo and all the stuff at the front...just left the front sight on. I also did the "surplus rifle" chamber fix with a 20g bore brush and paste/cleaner to clear up "sticky bolt" syndrome. I also smoothed out the trigger with some jewelers rouge and a dremel on the touching metal flats...makes a heck of a difference in feel while not actually lowering the poundage at all.

Cheap, easy and accurate for my needs...plus I don't worry to much about theft because mostly I remove the bolt when away from the truck.

cqbdriver
01-02-11, 16:06
what is this rifle?...looks like some sort of enfield.:confused:

Australian Enfield made in 7.62x39mm

http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/product.htm

big 54r
01-02-11, 17:19
thanx cqb...I remember seeing those Enfields once I viewed your link...nice rifles.

mark5pt56
01-02-11, 17:49

It's a shame that we can't get them here.

tpd223
01-03-11, 01:42
Those Aussie guns would be nice.

I didn't know that I was buying a gun for this thread until I stumbled across it a couple of days ago. Went to Cabela's the other day and found a Savage .308 with a Bushnell scope package while I was shopping for something else. $399.00 plus tax out the door.

I also have a Savage Scout rifle, but I am still, several years later, trying to see if I like the Scout scope concept or not.

Jake'sDad
01-03-11, 10:10

Even at 8.5 lbs on a bolt action 7.62X39?

I mean it's cute and all.....but....

HeavyDuty
01-03-11, 10:36
No kidding. I checked out a couple of them when they were available and boy howdy, were they heavy little mothers. Even my FR-8 is a lightweight by comparison.

Lost River
01-25-11, 00:06
I wanted to build an all around practical rifle for the nature of the things that I do. Living in the rural Rocky Mountain west, I have high deserts, thick northside timber and lots of rolling foothills, as well as very steep alpine terrain.

My all around practical rifle is a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in .308. I chopped the barrel to an even 20"s. It wears a 2.5-10x24 NightForce (NPR2), in a set of Talley lightweight rings.

Initially it wore a 4.5x14 Leupold, but I snagged it for another Tikka (custom 6mm rem).

I have a practical 2 point VTAC sling on it, same as my work rifle and personal ARs.

I have some 1/2 sized IPSC steel plates from MGM and have run my 20" Tikka out to 600. It is very easy to get first round hits at 600 with a good rest.

I have numerous Tikkas and have run a T3 308 Varmint for a number of years, so investing $$ in mags that I could use in multiple rifles made perfect sense.

Overall, it has proven to be an outstanding practical rifle

Some pics:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/070-1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/PracticalTikka003.jpg

Lost River
01-25-11, 00:13
While it is practical, it is not one I would leave unattended in a trunk!

308 Tikkas have proven to be super accurate with my loads and very easy to shoot well. The detachable 5 round single stack mags have proven to be good quality and very reliable.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/LostRiverRangeOct08027-1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/001-2.jpg

With its fatter .308 brother:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Tikka308s001.jpg

tpd223
01-25-11, 07:24
Nice rifles, beautiful scenery.

Keydet08
01-25-11, 08:39
It looks like what you are looking for is the scout rifle as defined by Jeff Cooper. You should take a look at a Steyr Scout with a Leupold Scout Scope. The drawback is that the Steyr is kind of expensive so if you wanted to actually stow it in the trunk of your car for a while it might be better to find an inexpensive bolt action surplus military rifle with a nice action and have at least the stock cut down to make it a bit more handy. Cooper wrote quite a bit about the subject and it would behoove you to read some of it.

HeavyDuty
01-25-11, 09:00
It looks like what you are looking for is the scout rifle as defined by Jeff Cooper. You should take a look at a Steyr Scout with a Leupold Scout Scope. The drawback is that the Steyr is kind of expensive so if you wanted to actually stow it in the trunk of your car for a while it might be better to find an inexpensive bolt action surplus military rifle with a nice action and have at least the stock cut down to make it a bit more handy. Cooper wrote quite a bit about the subject and it would behoove you to read some of it.

Is this directed to me (the OP)? If so, I looked hard at the Scout concept for over a decade before I decided it wasn't for me. I have read Cooper on Scouts since back when he first wrote about them.

What I ended up with is appropriate for my needs.

decodeddiesel
01-25-11, 10:40

No kidding!!! Those are awesome rifles!

BAC
01-25-11, 12:20
Since many states prohibit a loaded weapon in a vehicle, a detachable magazine would be very desirable. The stock should be wood colored or possibly non-black synthetic, and the barrel must be free floated. Back up irons are an asset and the classic Weaver rings are light weight and quick detachable with good return to zero.(re-tighten them to the same points on a clock) A heavy rain can make optical sights almost useless. The carrying strap must be light weight and simple to use, preferably wider than 1".

Also it is a good thing if the bolt can be field stripped without tools, and the trigger will still work well with crud inside. The model 70 trigger is outstanding in this area. Avoid the Springfield action as the firing pin is more subject to breakage than others. The 98 Mauser action is excellent under all conditions. And of course, keep a simple cable bore cleaner in your kit.

Aren't Mauser actions pains in the asses to convert to DBM-fed?

-B

Lost River
01-25-11, 13:47
Is this directed to me (the OP)? If so, I looked hard at the Scout concept for over a decade before I decided it wasn't for me. I have read Cooper on Scouts since back when he first wrote about them.

What I ended up with is appropriate for my needs.

Heavy Duty,

I think you would be very pleased with a Tikka if you gave it a whirl. The accuracy of these rifles is well known (I have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars getting Remingtons to shoot as well as off the rack Tikkas and Sakos). The lightweight, super smooth handling and great detachable mags all add up to one slick package.

Heck, I even have taken mine jackrabbit hunting, which is a great challenge with a scoped bolt action rifle.

okie john
01-25-11, 19:18
Aren't Mauser actions pains in the asses to convert to DBM-fed?

Yes.

I looked into this pretty deeply during my Mauser period several years ago. I learned that Mausers were famously smooth and reliable because the angles and dimensions of the feed lips and followers were set up for one and only one cartridge. Mauser could do that cheaply for military rifles built for huge contracts, and because the world-wide depression made skilled labor incredibly cheap. (Early Mausers, even the military ones, were pretty much built by hand, and many Mauser employees were former watchmakers and other highly skilled craftsmen. This changed during WWII.) This process was far more expensive for a sporter unless it fired a military cartridge, which is one reason that so many of them do.

Making a Mauser reliable with any cartridge other than the one for which it was designed can be a nightmare. You may have to recut the feed lips. They're part of the action, so there's no room for error. You may also need a new follower, which may have to be built from scratch. Very few people outside of Oberndorf ever knew how to do this right, which is why most converted military Mausers, especially those converted to fire belted magnums, don't feed worth a damn. When you find someone who can do it today, it costs a fortune.

Trying to make one work with a DBM is even tougher--most top Mauser plumbers today won't even attempt it.

Whether to attempt adding a DBM to any design depends on how often you expect to bail out of a vehicle with rifle blazing. You can probably handle fast shots at game by single-loading from a butt cuff or a cartridge carrier on your belt.

Topping off the magazine with 5-shot stripper clips is no slam dunk, either. Bridge heights can differ among Mausers chambered for the same cartridge but sold to different governments, so you need the right clips for the model of Mauser that you own.

At the moment, stripper clips are easy to find if you shoot 8x57 or 6.5x55 in an unmodified military action. You can find the right clips for '03 Springfields, SMLEs and Moisin-Nagants. Clips for anything else are a sporting proposition since the last ones were made before WWII, and they're old and tired when you find them.

Mausers are delightful, but you have to learn to work within their limitations.

Okie John

Lost River
01-26-11, 03:00
This 16" Marlin 30-30 with a 1-3x Weaver on it would make a decent low cost "trunk gun". As much fun as it is to shoot, the short barreled Tikka totally eclipses it performance wise. The little Marlin is a cool little toy though.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Marlin3030006.jpg

urbanamish
01-26-11, 08:39
I've been following this thread with some interest. I'd like to start a .308 project like this, and have it done for fall '11 whitetails. I'm not a gunsmith, and know very little about tinkering with triggers, actions, etc. I would leave any of that work to a competent gunsmith.

Those in the know... for a base gun, would I be better off buying a new Stevens ($350 ish), or a new Savage Axis / Edge ($320 ish)?

Also, I have the chance to buy a lightly used Rem. 788 in .308, with a 1-4 Leupold installed. ($500) I understand that these can be pretty accurate little guns.

My LGS has a really, really nice, new Remington Model Seven 7mm-08 that he wants too much for, or else I'd be very tempted by that.

I'd like to keep the total spent under $700, with everything.

Thanks for all your input.

big honkin jeep
01-26-11, 10:43
The Edge/Axis and the Savage 10/110 based Stevens 200 are two completely different rifles. The Axis/Edge is purely a newly designed economy rifle that shares very little with the 10/110 series of rifles.The Stevens 200 shares the modular design of the Savage 10/110 series rifles and has a ton of aftermarket available. These weapons are easily home smithed by those with the ability to follow instructions and a small amount of mechanical aptitude. Shopping around could easily save you some cash. Academy Sports regularly has the Stevens on sale for $250 or less.
Good luck with your project BHJ

Keith E.
01-26-11, 11:51
Also, I have the chance to buy a lightly used Rem. 788 in
.308, with a 1-4 Leupold installed. ($500) I understand that these can be pretty accurate little guns.

I can't speak for the one you're looking at but in my experience they've been neat, accurate little guns.

Keith

JMEL
01-31-11, 22:22
To the OP have you looked at the TC Venture in .308? It's a under $500.00 rifle and is very accurate. I have one and love it. It's a perfect fit for the "trunk gun" class. Light weight, Adjustable Trigger and not Expensive. This may be my next .308 some day. http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/specSheets/6803.html

JMEL

Lost River
02-18-11, 18:21
I've been following this thread with some interest. I'd like to start a .308 project like this, and have it done for fall '11 whitetails. I'm not a gunsmith, and know very little about tinkering with triggers, actions, etc. I would leave any of that work to a competent gunsmith.

Those in the know... for a base gun, would I be better off buying a new Stevens ($350 ish), or a new Savage Axis / Edge ($320 ish)?

Also, I have the chance to buy a lightly used Rem. 788 in .308, with a 1-4 Leupold installed. ($500) I understand that these can be pretty accurate little guns.

My LGS has a really, really nice, new Remington Model Seven 7mm-08 that he wants too much for, or else I'd be very tempted by that.

I'd like to keep the total spent under $700, with everything.

Thanks for all your input.

That is a pretty fair price for a 788 when considering it comes with a scope!

I have a 788 in 6mm Rem and it is a decent little gun. It is a bit on the crude side when compared to a Tikka, but a handy little gun.

If I was offered a 788 in 308 with a scope for 5 bills, I would not hesitate.

Jake'sDad
02-18-11, 22:17
If I was offered a 788 in 308 with a scope for 5 bills, I would not hesitate.

With a Leupold on it, me either.

8200rpm
02-19-11, 21:18
Probably not the best optic for self defense or snap shots, but good enough on game.

Weatherby Vanguard Carbine .308
Weaver K-4 4x38

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9555/img5949de.jpg

Only $406 at buds. I'm impressed by the build quality of the Japanese Howa action. The trigger, barrel, and stock is supposedly built to Weatherby specs. Bolt shroud and the gas vents on the bolt are made to cosmetically mimic the Weatherby Mark V. The trigger has significantly less creep than the standard Howa 1500 that I fingered at the LGS. Even so, there is a minute bit of perceptible creep before break.

dom1104
04-20-11, 08:33
I use a Husqvarna M38 6.5x55 Swedish with a Mueller APT 4.5 - 14 Scope, Choate stock, Warne QD Rings and Timney Trigger.

Bought it off a guy for 150 bucks with 200 rounds of ammo and a set of reloading dies, so it works for me as a trunk gun.

It has QD rings, very accurate irons, a easy to shoot offhand cartridge and a 22 inch barrel.

It also holds less than 2 MOA in my hands prone w/bipod at 100 yards.

It works for me.

usmcvet
04-20-11, 09:11
I use a Husqvarna M38 6.5x55 Swedish with a Mueller APT 4.5 - 14 Scope, Choate stock, Warne QD Rings and Timney Trigger.

Bought it off a guy for 150 bucks with 200 rounds of ammo and a set of reloading dies, so it works for me as a trunk gun.

It has QD rings, very accurate irons, a easy to shoot offhand cartridge and a 22 inch barrel.

It also holds less than 2 MOA in my hands prone w/bipod at 100 yards.

It works for me.

Great price too.

coastrifle
04-20-11, 09:59
I looked into this almost ten years ago and bought the then available
Winchester M70 compact classic in .308 - a classic M70 controlled feed short action with a 20" barrel and 13" LOP. I mounted a Leupold M8 4X and it weighs 7.5# ready to go. It's a perfect GP trunk rifle for me. The rifle is again available from FN as the M70 compact featherweight.

alvincullumyork
04-20-11, 20:43
I noticed that a couple of people thought that an enfield converted to 7.62x39 would be a good option but they were only made down under. I found this site a long time ago when I was looking to buy all the main battle rifles from WWII, that desire has past except the for a Garand, but this seems to fit the bill.

Enfield converted to 7.62x39
http://www.specialinterestarms.com/index.php

dom1104
05-12-11, 10:00
http://i.imgur.com/ZJrr9l.jpg

Little paint, little Walmart "Anti Coyote" wrap, little range time, it shoots about 1.5 moa w/ surplus ammo @100 yards, I even tried some subsonic 140 grain ammo w/ Trail Boss powder which was surprisingly quiet, this has become my favorite trunk gun ever.

One of my very best purchases.

Jake'sDad
05-12-11, 10:26
I noticed that a couple of people thought that an enfield converted to 7.62x39 would be a good option but they were only made down under. I found this site a long time ago when I was looking to buy all the main battle rifles from WWII, that desire has past except the for a Garand, but this seems to fit the bill.

Enfield converted to 7.62x39
http://www.specialinterestarms.com/index.php

If I were going to carry a rifle as heavy as an Enfield, I'd want more power than 7.62X39.

PlatoCATM
06-02-11, 23:54
I went to the local gun store last week looking for a howa/weatherby in .308. They didn't have what I wanted, but while waiting for service I looked at the used guns, and low and behold I found a savage 11 in .308 with dbm and a cheap, tall bipod for $280. I bought it and have since put an egw base, tps rings, and vortex diamondback on it. I hope to zero it this weekend and see how it shoots. The only odd thing is it doesn't have an accutrigger but it is a round-back action. I can live with the trigger, it just seems like an odd combination of receiver and trigger.

My original plan was to acquire a savage/stevens action and put a match .243 barrel on it and the .308 howa/weatherby for hunting and a handy backup that will fire my excess match ammo. I'm still looking into the howa/weatherby, but I'm looking forward to testing the savage.

bgoode
08-23-11, 20:02

This is what I'd want

Dang! Thats what I have been looking for the last 3 years. I want a simple 20" barrel, iron sights, hinged floor plate magazine, control feed 3 position safety. But Id take everything but the last 2 if I could find it.

I just cant get behind the Savage for some reason. The Winchester M70 would be a fuller size, The Remington Model 7 is close and if I found one with iron sights Id be on it.

The Ruger Bolt actions come closer than all the above I think.

Fail-Safe
08-25-11, 17:59
I always wanted one of the Remington Mod 7s in 6.8x43. Never could find one, and they are now out of production.

J-Dub
08-28-11, 10:38
So have you cut the barrel down yet?

Jake'sDad
08-28-11, 13:17
I always wanted one of the Remington Mod 7s in 6.8x43. Never could find one, and they are now out of production.

You can always re-barrel one. If you're not getting a high end match barrel, it's not a ton of cash. Then you can pick length, profile, etc.

These guys are pretty reasonable.

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-price-list.php

M_Rapp
11-16-11, 18:47
Was browsing the site looking for info on a build I am have been playing with. Low and behold 8 pages of you guys doing just about what I am doing!

Mine weights in a tad over 6lbs and is a Rem 700 Stainless Short Action in 7mm-08. It sits in a B&C Light Weight Tactical Stock and has a free floated 20" sporter contour barrel. I have yet to fire the thing so we'll see how it turns out...

I'm debating rings / bases at this point.

GLB
11-16-11, 21:53
Rem. 700 7mm08
leupold 3x9
20" barrel
vtac sling
B&C stock

mark5pt56
11-17-11, 05:22
Was browsing the site looking for info on a build I am have been playing with. Low and behold 8 pages of you guys doing just about what I am doing!

Mine weights in a tad over 6lbs and is a Rem 700 Stainless Short Action in 7mm-08. It sits in a B&C Light Weight Tactical Stock and has a free floated 20" sporter contour barrel. I have yet to fire the thing so we'll see how it turns out...

I'm debating rings / bases at this point.

I have the same in SS, had the barrel shortened to 21( split the difference since I was "debating" it while the smith was looking at me) green HS stock, getting ready to order the PTG SS BDL metal for it. Do like that 08!

GLB
11-17-11, 16:15
Yes there is alot to like in a good rifle chambered in 7mm08.

Serlo II
12-04-11, 11:27
I'd like to have a truck gun.
For me I'd like to see the cost at $500 or below. Still, we need them to be reliable. Mitchell's mausers have a nice .308 mauser tanker but its kind of expensive. Still it looks pretty rugged.

Perhaps I'll find a nice used Remington around.

Here is a the mauser http://mauser.net/firearms/rifles/mauser-rifles/m63tanker/index.htm

Lost River
12-16-11, 15:14
Using my little Tikka .308 that I had chopped to 20"s and topped with a 2.5-10 compact Nightforce, I dropped a cow elk last week.

This is the same rifle I posted pics of earlier in this thread. It is what I consider my idea of an all around practical bolt gun. It has done a great job from elk to coyotes.

TacticalSledgehammer
12-23-11, 10:18
I had the perfect truck gun for a while and traded it off. It was a rusty old beat up Chinese T53 (mosin M44). For what it was it was surprisingly accurate. Im going to look for another one here soon. Maybe throw a scout mount and scope on it.

I have 2 other rifles that would be perfect but 7.7 jap and 7.35 Italian aren't cheap calibers.

Lost River
01-01-12, 14:57
The short barreled Tikka .308 fills the freezer...

Hauling out the cow elk.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/013-6.jpg

5pointstar
01-02-12, 04:33
I've been lurking a bit on a couple topics here. However I have had the same thought of a "trunk/car rifle".
Went a little different route, a used Remington 7615P, slide action in .223 and it uses AR15 mags. It came with Wilson Combat Ghost Ring/XS Sight, I put a picatinney shoot through rail on the reciever and have been experimenting with a 2-9x scope. Also bought a Blackhawk Knoxx NRS Collapsable stock over the holidays. And comes in at $450 without optics.
Shoots very well with iron sights and with the scope it does under 1" groups at 50 yards, still trying different ammo. Just dont short stroke the gun, you have to jack it like a regular 870.

rob_s
01-02-12, 08:50
A few months ago I purchased a Winchester M70

You can read about the project here (https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/projects---guns/winchester-model-70). It's kind of on hold at the moment, but I really just need a scope and rings.

I have come to believe that controlled-round-feed, vs. push-feed, is a requirement for a practical bolt action and as I understand it that makes the Winchester one of the few choices and eliminates everything Remington from the running. I can have irons added to my M70 (which I intend to do eventually) but I can't make the Remington or Ruger feed more reliably.

mark5pt56
01-04-12, 19:11
Any brand of scope or price range Rob?

Ziess is releasing a new line of scopes soon.

http://www.my-hunt.com/articles/2011/04/duralyt-new-entry-level-class-carl-zeiss/
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3003214&gonew=1#UNREAD

I've been looking at one of these
http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-6x24-VX-6-30mm-Riflescope-P49439.aspx

Of course I really want the Swarovski, but, I just don't have it.
http://swfa.com/Swarovski-1-6x24-Z6i-30mm-Riflescope-P11128.aspx

Mark

rob_s
01-04-12, 19:19
For this project I want either this
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-5-5x20mm/

Or this
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-75-6x32mm/

Leaning heavily towards the former.

mark5pt56
01-04-12, 19:39
If it matters, the VX6 in the 1-6 has considerable more field of view or if wanting illumination, the VXR is gaining popularity. Member ccoker uses them and highly advises on them--sold his accupoints, he hunts a lot also.

rob_s
01-04-12, 19:41
I have a 1.25-4x VXR here actually for an article.

The two Leupolds I listed are the ones that Randy suggests, so I'll start there. They are also very inexpensive, which is important to me.

mark5pt56
01-04-12, 19:56
I have a 1.25-4x VXR here actually for an article.

The two Leupolds I listed are the ones that Randy suggests, so I'll start there. They are also very inexpensive, which is important to me.

They are good scopes and interestingly enough, I was in "a bind" at the start of the season and wanted to try out a new 7mm-08. At the time, mainly time wise, grabbed a 2-7x33 Leupold Rifleman. In my opinion, the glass is just as clear as another Leupold costing 3 times as much. I have it mounted with some Warne's and does the trick. First day out netted a nice 4 point.

ST911
01-04-12, 23:01
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-5-5x20mm/

Or this
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-75-6x32mm/

Very interested in your results. I was looking at those myself, looking to upgrade my sport-utility bolt from the straight 4x and 1-4x20.

rob_s
01-05-12, 05:26
Very interested in your results. I was looking at those myself, looking to upgrade my sport-utility bolt from the straight 4x and 1-4x20.

I' signed up for Randy's Practical Rifle class this year so I have to figure something out quick!

tpd223
01-11-12, 20:52
I picked up a Savage 110 with a synthetic stock and iron sights in 30-06 today, an impulse buy after a guy at work wanted to sell it for $200.

I see some mods coming to make this a scoped general purpose truck and deer gun. It helps that I have a can of FN 30-06 ball and a can of black tip AP from back in the day when I was into M1 Garands.

snakedoc257
10-15-12, 23:54
I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking at putting together a similar rifle to the OP's. This weekend I found Savage's Hog Hunter and with a 1-4x scope I think it's going to fit the bill nicely.

What do you guys think? Anyone got one?

Iowa Don
10-16-12, 16:00
Good choice. Get the Leupold 1.5x-5x20 illuminated reticle from Opticsplanet at a $150 discount from MSRP, LaRue QD mounts and rings. The factory iron sights are good enough.Then you're good to go. I'm seriously looking at one in .338 Win. Probably some recoil but lots of horsepower. Spendy factory ammo is the main drawback-finances mandate reloading this. On the other hand, Ive got a Savage in .308 heavy barrel, about 4,000 7.62 cases from my highpower competition days, and about 9,000 pulled 173 grain projectiles, given by a friend. The rifle is a little heavy to walk around with, but my wife is strong, and she can manage that. I don't know if Noveske makes a flash hider for 7.62. Their 5.56 flashhider gets top marks-LaRue sells them, and they do not carry junk. No flash and very, very little sparking if any, and none of the concussion that most side-exhausts have. For $60 it's , I think, the best aftermarket out there. Another thought is a mercury reoil reducer_Brownell's has all kinds. and if you plan to do a lot of shooting, they can make for a less punished shoulder.

Remember: When danger is right where you are right now, the police are only minutes away.

snakedoc257
10-16-12, 22:56
Iowa Don,

Thanks for the info. I picked it up this morning for $419 out the door. I'm pleased with it. I think its going to be a good staring point for a Scout type rifle with the scope mounted in the traditional location. I have got to upgrade the stock asap. Any suggestions? Not really wanting a bench rest type stock. I just want a stiffer version of the stock one. I was thinking a Hogue. Can't find too many options.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=e88446df51&view=att&th=13a6bbf3c5bf3223&attid=0.1&disp=thd&realattid=1416025564694708224-1&zw

Mossyrock
10-17-12, 09:48

Or this

The 1.5-5X VX-3 is my choice for a General Purpose Rifle. I currently have one on my Remington 700 GPR. I am also running a Weaver V3 1-3X variable on my Ruger Scout, and it is surprisingly good. It has impressed me alot. I am currently building a GPR on a model 70, and I am leaning towards the 1.76-6X VX-3.

bates
10-17-12, 10:19
This is a great Thread, just stumbled upon it.

I am working on a similar project myself.

I picked up a used rem 700 308 Sendero for a song.
I am going to have the barrel cut and threaded at 18inches

I ordered up a Manners MCS-T stock with the bedding chasis system

In end in will be into this gun for around $1550 with a 1.5-5 leupold optic

Still cheaper than most of our Ar's fully configured.

I did spend the extra coin for the stock and i belive it will be worth it, for one i get a detachable bottom metal set up, i already have aics 5 and 10 round mags, this gives me access to ammo very quickly. I can keep the gun stored empty but have it hot in a matter of seconds. Or keep one mag loaded up subsonics or different types of ammo handy, depending on what you are going to be shooting at.

Not to mention this chasis set up will be superior to the factory tubberware stocks and provide a more soild foundation for the rifle, which should make it more consistent and accurate. it also saves the cost of a dbm set up and bedding. I like accurate guns

This will be a very versatile gun for me, a great hunting rifle, handy truck gun and all around great rifle.

i am hoping to have it together in a few months just waiting on the stock to show up.

Mossyrock
10-17-12, 13:30
The current Remington injection molded stocks are absolute crap with WAY too much flex in them. I replaced mine with a Bell and Carlson with an aluminum bedding block, with length of pull and finish to order. I liked it so much I bought another just like it for my model 70.

Iowa Don
10-20-12, 17:37
Glad to be of help. I see a post about a stock change 2 or 3 responses after mine. I don't truthfully know much about that issue, but if Houge has one I'd say get it. They've been around quite a while, and I have one of theirs on my 5" Classic DX .44 mag. I find no fault with it, and to be much better than the old style of woooden stocks S&W used to put on 27's and 29's. Not having hands like a gorrilla, they were the first thing to go in the "extras" box, perhaps never to be seen again, or sold at a gunshow for whatever I could get. I also see some excellent suggestions on scope's, any of which could be right up your alley. Now, if you've got to have the best, then you'll have to send it (and your right arm) to McMillan....
Nah-too much hassle and a very spendy proposition, and in the end probably not worth the investment for this particular rifle.

Carry on, and let us know how it groups out at 100yds and with what ammo. I'm the type that isn't concerned with Cooper or Kimber appearance but how well it shoots. If it was Red Ryder BB gun and grouped well I'd by it. Most of my stuff is low $ end and/or used, and a little is high end new and custom smithed. In either case, they group, and that is all that counts.

RyanB
10-20-12, 19:14
I detest Remingtons, I think they are shit. Despite my love of Mausers I don't think CRF is necessary. Feeding is easy, extraction can be complicated. A good extractor (not Remington) will get it done.

Why would I justify PF over CRF? I can't get an AW magazine to feed in a Winchester.

brickboy240
10-22-12, 12:39
There are some great projects going on here!

I too was thinking about a rifle of similar configuration.

I have a pawn shop rescue sporterized 03 Springfield that is actually a very good shooter (even though it looks like crap). This is a rifle I might consider for this project.

However, finding a decent replacement synthetic stock for the 03 is not easy.

Also, I am not sure how fierce the blast would be from a 30-06 with an 18-20" barrel.

The rifle would be a great candidate because all of it's collector value is gone and it is a great feeder and fairly accurate. The hard work on it is done, as it wears an old Weaver K-4 in a 1 piece Leupold base/rings set up and seems fairly solid.

-brickboy240

Mossyrock
10-22-12, 14:44
There are some great projects going on here!

I too was thinking about a rifle of similar configuration.

I have a pawn shop rescue sporterized 03 Springfield that is actually a very good shooter (even though it looks like crap). This is a rifle I might consider for this project.

However, finding a decent replacement synthetic stock for the 03 is not easy.

Also, I am not sure how fierce the blast would be from a 30-06 with an 18-20" barrel.

The rifle would be a great candidate because all of it's collector value is gone and it is a great feeder and fairly accurate. The hard work on it is done, as it wears an old Weaver K-4 in a 1 piece Leupold base/rings set up and seems fairly solid.

-brickboy240

I am also working on a Model 70 "retro" GPR with Lyman receiver sights. During the process, I cut the barrel back to 18" and added a NECG banded front sight. Loud? You betcha! But it makes up for it with shear handiness.

As for a stock, you might want to consider a laminate stock in lieu of fiberglass. MPI makes a fiberglass stock, but it is a blank that needs to be fitted, glass bedded and painted....lots of work, and the BLANK is almost $350!! Boyd's Gunstocks, however, makes a laminated stock for the 1903 that can be had for $74. Something to consider...

brickboy240
10-22-12, 16:13
Yep...I have been eying the Boyds laminated stock. It is cheap and allows me more money to spend on refinishing and cutting the barrel down to 18 inches.

Will probably swap out Dad's old K-4 for a more modern and versatile scope as well.

How is the recoil on an 18" 30-06? Stout?

-brickboy240

Mossyrock
10-23-12, 09:57
Yep...I have been eying the Boyds laminated stock. It is cheap and allows me more money to spend on refinishing and cutting the barrel down to 18 inches.

Will probably swap out Dad's old K-4 for a more modern and versatile scope as well.

How is the recoil on an 18" 30-06? Stout?

-brickboy240

Not too bad. Alot of it comes down to stock design and a decent recoil pad.

brickboy240
10-23-12, 14:00
The Boyds stock with a Pachmayer Decelerator pad ought to tame factory 150gr 30-06 out of the shorter barrel pretty well.

You are right about what it has in shooting comfort being eclipsed by the handiness of an 18" barrel. The slick-ness and reliability of the 03 Springer action will be another big plus.

At least the 03 is all steel and not full of MIM, cast crap or alloy/plastic parts.

I have been looking for something to do with this pawn shop rescue rifle (that I paid 200 bucks for) and this might be it. The thing has no collector value but is a quality base for a project gun.

-brickboy240

sewvacman
11-18-12, 21:04
Has anyone had an opportunity to try out or read reviews of the Ruger America? It looks good on paper, needs sights and maybe a couple inches lopped off, but scope ready for about $330.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/features.html

brickboy240
11-19-12, 11:02
The Savage Apex is also do-able at about 269 bucks and comes in 30-06. No sights but has a detachable mag.

I am considering one in 223 as a knock about ranch rifle.

-brickboy240

Averageman
03-31-13, 20:00
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r263/Averageman1/336SC001.jpg
This started out Life as a Marlin 30-30 SC. It took a hell of a tumble off a horse and down a canyon.
Cut the stock down, took the barrel down and recrowned it. Little deck tape and some truck bed liner and there you go.
Served me well for a short while and I gave it to my Mom to keep for protection.

usmcvet
04-01-13, 07:43
Anyone tried the Savage Hog Hunter yet? I was thinking about the Savage Scout but like the threaded bbl on the Hog Hunter and want a traditionally mounted scope, I don't think I can do that with out removing the rear peep on the scout. Can I?

Jake'sDad
04-01-13, 10:50
Anyone tried the Savage Hog Hunter yet? I was thinking about the Savage Scout but like the threaded bbl on the Hog Hunter and want a traditionally mounted scope, I don't think I can do that with out removing the rear peep on the scout. Can I?

I tried using a Larue SPR mount backwards on a GSR but couldn't quite get it back far enough. Don't know if it would work for you on the Savage.

XS did the rail with a sight on it, so that solved the problem on the GSR. I wish they made the same rail for other guns. It wouldn't have to go forward of the receiver. I bet most of the guys buying the XS GSR rail aren't using it for a Scout setup.

usmcvet
04-01-13, 11:22
I tried using a Larue SPR mount backwards on a GSR but couldn't quite get it back far enough. Don't know if it would work for you on the Savage.

XS did the rail with a sight on it, so that solved the problem on the GSR. I wish they made the same rail for other guns. It wouldn't have to go forward of the receiver. I bet most of the guys buying the XS GSR rail aren't using it for a Scout setup.

Thanks

JHC
04-04-13, 07:54

I'm picking one up off layaway this weekend. I've seen a fellow at the range with one where he swapped out the stock to another synthetic option that allowed it to use the Savage detachable mags. Can't recall what stock it was though. Not high end IIRC.

The iron sights and stout barrel attracted me to this model. Its still fairly light/handy. A couple friends have Rem Mountain Rifles; 270 and 7mm-08 and I've never seen either one manage a 2" group of 5 at 100 yds (per the OP standard) even though they seem to wait long enough for some barrel cooling. I don't have a lot of bolt gun experience but that has made me leery of pencil barrels in that level of caliber.

usmcvet
04-04-13, 08:13
I'm picking one up off layaway this weekend. I've seen a fellow at the range with one where he swapped out the stock to another synthetic option that allowed it to use the Savage detachable mags. Can't recall what stock it was though. Not high end IIRC.

The iron sights and stout barrel attracted me to this model. Its still fairly light/handy. A couple friends have Rem Mountain Rifles; 270 and 7mm-08 and I've never seen either one manage a 2" group of 5 at 100 yds (per the OP standard) even though they seem to wait long enough for some barrel cooling. I don't have a lot of bolt gun experience but that has made me leery of pencil barrels in that level of caliber.

Great to hear. I hope you share some photos when you get your gun. I'd be interested in the different stock, anyone know what it is?

Thanks.

big honkin jeep
04-04-13, 18:23
I had forgotten about this thread quite some time ago and in the mean time built a little handy carbine myself. Shooting lefty there usually aren't a lot of factory options that fit just right. I took the opportunity to make myself one. This started as a plain Jane Savage model 11Gl in .243. I obtained a factory takeoff detachable box mag stock and converted it to lefty and cut down the length of pull, relocated the swivel studs, ground down the pad and bedded it. I Tuned the trigger and made a lighter trigger spring and a bolt lift kit. Found a takeoff .308 sporter barrel and had it cut down to 16" threaded and braked. I went ahead and installed some Weaver rings and bases and a 3-9x vortex viper I had laying around. Light weight and handy it's just 37" overall.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/100_1389_zpsac7346eb.jpg

JHC
04-07-13, 11:04
Great to hear. I hope you share some photos when you get your gun. I'd be interested in the different stock, anyone know what it is?

Thanks.

I tried a couple pics at the range with the phone but a better rendition would be any file photo of the Hog Gun. ;)

I only had so much time and so much .308 so it was brief to zero the irons at 100 yds. Old (55 eye) makes irons last ditch but as irons go I kinda liked them. Bottom line the gun functioned fine and the trigger (Accutrigger) is great. I'd estimate it about 3.5 lbs or so. Not as crisp breaking as my Geieselle SD-C but felt lighter in total wt.

I have not decided on a scope yet so it was just rough zero at 100 and then keeping shots in the thorax of a siloutte target at 200. That was fun. I've never had a scope higher power than 6x and I'm thinking about the budget Vortex 2.5-10x.

The sights are pretty tall; I have read it's to clear a can so I'll have to take care with mounts and scope not to hang up on the tall rear.

usmcvet
04-10-13, 23:16
Sounds like some good shooting. Thanks for the update.