PDA

View Full Version : M4C pointed my right with a Glock. How about an AR upper?

GhostB14
08-01-10, 11:30
Hello,
I took the wealth of info here and sold my XD for a G19, it is time now to fix my AR situation. My first and only 5.56 AR was a gift, RRA middy with a heavy ass 1:9 bbl and MI 2-piece drop in rail. I want something not so porky. Here is what I have in mind:

BCM 14.5 middy lightweight upper(BCM bcg, BCM Mod 4 ch)
Replace FSB with lo-pro gas block or shave FSB
Pinned BattleComp 1.5
VTAC TRX 11" or 13"

Two questions(for now)
1. Should I just shave the FSB or get it replaced?
2. 11" or 13" rail? Will the 13" work with a pinned 14.5 set-up?

Once the upper is set I plan on getting a BCM lower and installing a RediMod. Im not looking for a light weight set-up, just trimming unneeded fat.

The RRA wont be sold due to sentimental value(first gun wife bought me), but may get a 6.5G/varminter/precision make over.

Thanks M4C for the help and wealth of info.

GermanSynergy
08-01-10, 13:12
IMHO you may wan to take a look at the following:

BCM Standard 16" Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group

Daniel Defense LITE 9" Handguard

BCM BCG

BCM GF Mod 4

This would fit your needs without the need for shaving the FSB or pinning/welding a FH/MB for meet the 16" requirement....

kmrtnsn
08-01-10, 13:30
Forget that 14.5" and get the 16". Pinning hiders/brakes on an upper that you may end up moding in the future is an exercise in futility and frustration. BCM is now selling rifles/uppers with the Troy TRX Standard Battle Rail with the BCM logo on them. Get the TRX in 11" or 13" and it will cover that GB.

556mp
08-01-10, 13:35
Forget that 14.5" and get the 16". Pinning hiders/brakes on an upper that you may end up moding in the future is an exercise in futility and frustration. BCM is now selling rifles/uppers with the Troy TRX Standard Battle Rail with the BCM logo on them. Get the TRX in 11" or 13" and it will cover that GB.

IMHO you may wan to take a look at the following:

BCM Standard 16" Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group

+1 and +1

Light Weight 16" Mid length with a trx 11" and call it done.

JSGlock34
08-01-10, 14:02
Good advice here. The current BCM sale on uppers is an excellent value.

Grease Monkey
08-01-10, 16:13
I would have to agree with what the others have said. Unless there's a particular rail you want other than the troy. I like the Daniel Defense Lite series. A DD lite 12" would be sweet! Usually BCM offers them installed as an option.

nickdrak
08-01-10, 17:27
I am a big fan of 14.5" pinned uppers for use as an entry work gun since we are not allowed to personally own SBR's in this crooked state. But for a general purpose, training & HD carbine I would instead suggest a 16" mid-length upper as suggested above.

I will take it one step further and recommend just buying a complete KAC SR-13 E3 upper. You can find them for around $1300 complete.

Caeser25
08-01-10, 18:01
You're not really gaining anything with a 14.5 pinned over 16.

Beebs08
08-01-10, 18:18
I would look at the lightweight 16". My brother had a 14.5" with a permanent flash hider, decided he didn't like it, and sold the whole thing instead of just swapping flash hiders. I don't really see a reason to get a 14.5" over a 16". I love my 16" lightweight.

Iraqgunz
08-01-10, 18:26
Exactly. Yesterday Markm and I went shooting. It just so happens that he had his 14.5 with him. We did a side by side comparison with my Noveske 16.1 Recon and the difference was all but non-existent. If anyone says that they can tell the difference I am highly dubious.

GhostB14
08-01-10, 19:00
Thanks for all the help. 16" does look like a better option, but here is one more question. Which is more durable the DD Lite 12 or the TRX 11? I'm guessing the DD, but you guys know more than I do. I don't need a quad rail, but durability is more important. FWIW I am just a hobby shooter and probably wouldn't break either one. I'm curious as to how well they have held up in the rough and tumble classes and such.

decodeddiesel
08-01-10, 19:29
I apologize before hand as this is OT however, this is something I am really curious about and could be pertinent to this thread.

Exactly. Yesterday Markm and I went shooting. It just so happens that he had his 14.5 with him. We did a side by side comparison with my Noveske 16.1 Recon and the difference was all but non-existent. If anyone says that they can tell the difference I am highly dubious.

IG, what was the recoil impulse and "smoothness" like between those two barrels, the Noveske and the BCM? I know the BCM has a PWS Comp on it which would make a difference however I am dead locked between a Noveske middy and a BCM middy at the moment and your opinion counts big time to me.

Grease Monkey
08-01-10, 20:24
I apologize before hand as this is OT however, this is something I am really curious about and could be pertinent to this thread.

IG, what was the recoil impulse and "smoothness" like between those two barrels, the Noveske and the BCM? I know the BCM has a PWS Comp on it which would make a difference however I am dead locked between a Noveske middy and a BCM middy at the moment and your opinion counts big time to me.

I'm curious as well!!!

nickdrak
08-01-10, 22:23

Well, regardless if anything is "gained" the 14.5" with a pinned flashider will be about 2+ inches shorter overall depending on which muzzle device is used on the 16" barrel. Every inch counts when navigating indoors, and for folks like myself who cannot own a SBR due to state law, the 14.5"/pinned muzzle device combo is as compact/short as we can get. It will also be slightly lighter out front than a 16" barreled upper depending on the profile of each barrel.

But for a general use carbine the 16" barreled carbine might make more sense than the 14.5"+ depending on your specific needs.

usmcvet
08-01-10, 23:03
Nick I went with the 14.5" middy for the same reason, I wanted the shortest I could get w/o another tax stamp. I wanted one gun I could use to go out of state with if neessary w/o extra paperwork.

There is extra work and money involved in pinning a FH to your gun too. It may seem silly but the regular middy will let you snap on a bayonet when your seven year old asks you what that funny looking knife is for!

GhostB14
08-01-10, 23:06
I can definitely understand why a pinned 14.5 would be a bad choice if you ever wanted to change things up, but the more I think about it...I don't change things up. I want one light(er) weight gun and one precision gun. Given the choice this is how I would have started, but I wont look a gift horse in the mouth. If the range I belonged to wasn't in another state I would just go 14.5 and SBR the thing and be done with it. Not that 1.5-2"" is all that much, but why have it if its not needed? I don't think a hobby shooter like myself has the need to be switching out hiders/brakes once a good quality one is settled on. I don't need the newest whiz-bang brake every time one comes out because my life or a teammates life could depend on it. I feel that I should just pick a good unit, screw it on and get down to the fun of shooting. Might as well go as short as possible without a stamp.

ETA: I have the skill and proper equipment to pin/weld/refinish so additional cost is not a concern. One of the reasons I like the upcoming BattleComp 1.5 for this build is the pre-drilled aspect.

bad timing
08-01-10, 23:08
Another option would be a KAC SR-15 E3 upper.
It is light and the the mid-length URX II is roughly 11".

Iraqgunz
08-02-10, 00:39
It's hard to say because we have different flash hiders. I have an AAC for my suppressor and he had the PWS. Also I am running an H buffer and he has an H2.

The Noveske is a great gun and shoots smooth. If I was looking at price tags I would go with the BCM. I think a BCM middy with a Battle Comp would be the ticket.