PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Shooter Needs Pistol Trigger Advice

dog guy
08-01-10, 18:04
Long time lurker, first time poster. Lots of great advice here.
I have mostly shot revolvers, and have developed the muscle memory that goes with using one system most of the time for 30 years. My current CCW is a S & W J-frame, usually in a pocket holster. I'm a tall skinny guy, and have generally had a hard time concealing when dressed for the heat (shorts and T-shirt a lot of the time) so the pocket carry has worked well. I am now looking for a full sized pistol for home defense, shtf and the like. My problem is this: I shot a Glock for a while, maybe 2000 rounds or so over a couple of years. I had a hard time transitioning back and forth forth between the revolver trigger pull and the striker fired trigger pull. After a few magazines I would adapt to the Glock action and shoot safely and reliably, but for a potential deadly force encounter that adjustment period is not acceptable. I can adapt from one system to the other when my brain is fully engaged but in a life safety scenario where muscle memory is so crucial, I am not confident that the two very different actions would serve me well. The Glock also points very differently than my J-frame.
The Sig P250 fits my hand well, points naturally well for me, and has the "revolver-like" trigger pull (actually too revolver like!) but the reliability issue makes it a no go. Same with the S & W Sigma. The HK P30 fits well, but I am not comfortable with their mag release system and I have been unable to find one with anything but the V3 action to try out. The M & P would probably be the ticket except that I'm then back to the short, striker type trigger pull. I think Glock is out, simply because it points so differently than my J-frame but it's not completely out of the question.
Can anybody point me towards a pistol that would come close to matching what I'm after? Not identical to a revolver trigger but at least in the ballpark. Or, am I out to lunch on the whole question? In your experience, is this something that could be trained and practiced to overcome? Realistically, I'll probably be a 2000-3000 round or so a year shooter.
Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

gtmtnbiker98
08-01-10, 19:11
HK LEM.

skyugo
08-01-10, 19:21
HK LEM.

i thought LEM was supposed to be more like a glock trigger...

you can get HK's (and sigs) in DAO. that may be your best bet.

HK's can be converted by HK for like 90 bucks to whatever trigger you want. (there's i think 9 variants)

dog guy
08-01-10, 19:35
The LEM is certainly not out of the question. So far, when I've asked dealers up here in northern NV about the LEM, they've pretty much drawn a blank, said maybe as a special order. I believe the LEM has not been widely imported to the USA so it will be tough to find one to rent or handle. Is this correct?

gtmtnbiker98
08-01-10, 19:54
Their availability is a lot better than a few months ago. Yes, they are available, and there is nothing Glock like about the LEM other than the consistent trigger pull, IMO.

SHIVAN
08-01-10, 19:54
In my experience, all the "maladies" with a Glock can be cured with professional pistol instruction, using a Glock.

The ergonomics of the M&P line is much better, and the trigger can be made very nice too.

You could also buy a DA/SA H&K USP9 V1, P2000 V3 or P30 V3.

I would choose one of the polymer 9's and take a two or three day pistol class with it, and never look back.

SkiDevil
08-01-10, 20:04
I would have to agree with Skyugo.

There are still alot of DAO a.k.a 'Double Action Only' pistols still floating around out there in the used gun market.

You mentioned several Smith & Wesson models. If you have a preference for the brand then check-out the second or third generation Smith autos.

I have seen several of the Smith models selling for very reasonable prices. Ideally, it would be preferable for you to test fire one first but these models are typically not as common in the gun rental ranges.

Some examples would be the S&W 4553, 3953, etc.

Link: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg01-e.htm

I have had the chance to shoot the SIG 226 DAO model and it had a pretty nice trigger as well.

If you decide to go with an older model Smith, SIG, in the DAO format take a look at CDNN Investments, INC. in Texas they sometimes have Police trade-ins priced very competitively.

The DAO from one of these older designs will likely be the closest that you will be able to get to an actual revolver pull (10+ Lbs. trigger pull). Something to consider as well, some of the Smiths and even other brand DAO models have been discontinued because of newer designs like the HK LEM, SIG DAK, and Glock/ MP popularity so replacement parts could possibly become an issue at some point.

Best suggestion is to rent/ shoot a few pistols before you buy something.;)

Good hunting,
SkiDevil

Link:http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Sevcrist
08-01-10, 20:15
H&K USP or P30 in double action only. But I'm not sure if the DAO option is available in the U.S. And I'm referring to a true DAO, not the LEM.

SHIVAN
08-01-10, 20:17
H&K USP or P30 in double action only. But I'm not sure if the DAO option is available in the U.S. And I'm referring to a true DAO, not the LEM.

It's listed as Variant 6 (http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/p30_general.asp).

Littlelebowski
08-01-10, 20:57
In my experience, all the "maladies" with a Glock can be cured with professional pistol instruction, using a Glock.

That should be quoted....

Dave James
08-02-10, 15:30
OP, I know what your thinking,have been packing since the late 50's.

I DON"T LIKE glocks!!!! But I do carry one, like others have posted if you lean toward one just spend some time with some one thats shooting one well, if its grip angle don't for get the gen -4 is out now with interchangeable back straps.

If you just want to stay with a trigger action you love , I would go with my second love the SIG platform in the DAO, it is very smooth in the older classic guns, don't like the newer DAK, but haven't had a chance to shoot the updated version.Only down side to the platform is the high bore angle it does tend to cause it to bounce back a tad more than others

Never shot a H&K with the LEM trigger but know one department in my area that issues it and the troops love it.

dog guy
08-02-10, 16:55
Thanks for the feedback. If I was simply switching to a new platform, I think I'd jump on the M&P and move on. It's the idea of mixing actions that has me hung up. I'm not particularly attached to the revolver action; it just happens to be what goes with the J-frame, and the J-frame fills one of my needs. Maybe my question should be more whether experienced trainers and shooters think this is a valid concern or not. Am I making too big a deal of this?

Alpha Sierra
08-02-10, 17:40
I understand your concerns and share them.

I think that your best course of action, glib comments about training notwithstanding, is to get a true DAO semi auto that fits your hand.

As someone who is much stronger with revolvers, I am giving that course some thought.

tpd223
08-02-10, 20:31
I switch between a Glock 9mm as a duty gun and a J frame BUG/off-duty gun, daily, without issues. It's a training and getting your reps in thing.

IMHO the Glocks and the S&W revolvers point very much the same.

Try a G19 with a NY1 or NY2 trigger spring installed, this makes the trigger much more revolver-ish. I run a standard connector and a NY1 spring in my guns.

SHIVAN
08-02-10, 20:50
Try a G19 with a NY1 or NY2 trigger spring installed, this makes the trigger much more revolver-ish.

Agreed. It does feel like a revolver pull, until it breaks and resets. But that's not the most important part of the shooting cycle.

dog guy
08-02-10, 22:08
I'll get my hands on the Glock with the NY and check it out. Along that same line: how does the M&P with the MA compliant trigger/spring compare to the Glock NY set up? Same general effect, or very different?

fourXfour
08-03-10, 12:08
sig p250 has a pretty consistent DAO trigger pull

timbo813
08-03-10, 21:28
I'll get my hands on the Glock with the NY and check it out. Along that same line: how does the M&P with the MA compliant trigger/spring compare to the Glock NY set up? Same general effect, or very different?

I can't speak from experience but I would think they would be similar. The easiest way to get that feel in an M&P might be with the heavier springs from Apex Tactical.

Littlelebowski
08-03-10, 21:31
sig p250 has a pretty consistent DAO trigger pull

Yes, it's only about a 2' pull.

HK45
08-04-10, 00:50
I would pass on the 250 or any other current Sig. Their quality control is in the toilet. The 250 trigger makes no sense to me anyway.
Your revolver experience should mean you have a steady consistent trigger pull that would serve you well with a variety of triggers. Glock's with NY 1 and - connector, HK LEM, M&P. But I wouldn't get too hung up on replicating a revolver trigger pull on a semi-auto.