PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on a butt stock.

tvfreakarms
08-01-10, 20:46
Currently i have a magpul moe. But i'm thinking up going with the acs or vltor imod or emod.

The magpul acs pros: looks nice, you can change out the rubber butt pad and has the friction lock.
Cons: It looks heavy, the sling point seems to narrow for my troy cqb 2pt sling.

Vltor emod or imod: I guess the only difference between the 2 other than emod has a storage compartment and it's longer.

But i'm not looking to have a storage compartment because of added weight. I'm not sure how it will fit my troy sling because the sling point seems to be narrow like the acs. I'm not sure if you can put a thicker rubber butt pad like the magpul. I went to vltors website and it seems they only have one size rubber pad. Not sure if its thick as the magpul enhanced rubber pad (0.70").

I noticed on vltors website that the imod rubber pad is thinner and emods is thicker. Can you put the emods rubber pad on the imod stock?

I may go with the imod because it's the lightest out of the 3.

Also, the vltor doesn't have a friction lock like the acs and I was wondering if the vltor emod or imod has any play on their butt stock (like magpul moe)?

Any ideas on what to do with my sling for either of the butt stock models? The current stock i have, i can't use the sling because the sling is to wide to fit in the sling point.

If i do go with either imod, emod or acs, do i need to buy a new kit or will the current kit that i have for the moe would work fine on the other 3 stocks?

Decisions, decisions and your opionions would be great because the only butt stock I've owned is the moe.

The reason why i decided on either the imod, emod or acs is because of the extended check well. I really like how it felt on my check and it was more comfortable compared to the moe.

m4fun
08-01-10, 21:01
Really personal preference and perhaps mission/what you are hanging it on. I have a number of different setusps and the MOE/CTR is about as minimalist as you can go. Works very well! I perfer this on a SBR or lw carbine.

I like the VLTOR for more precision cheekweld, similar to the ACR - both with the battery compartments. Honestly - battery compartments rock, not just for batteries.

For slings, I use QD attachments and the MOE does not have this, but the VLTORs do. The ACR has one for an additional $20.

Find a buddy that has a VLTOR or whatever and try it out - go to a gunshow if there are any in your area and see what might float your boat - even bring the upper you want to use with.

JSGlock34
08-01-10, 21:03
The ACS and especially the EMOD are heavier than the new IMOD. I've become very conscious of component weight lately.

I've owned the ACS and IMOD, and of the two I prefer the IMOD. It is several ounces lighter, comes with QD points built-in (you have to buy the QD socket for the ACS) and is priced lower. It might not have the friction lock, but the IMOD was tight on my VLTOR receiver extension. There was no play at all - in fact, I have to pull hard to get it to move.

From what I can tell, the IMOD and EMOD rubber pads are very similar. I believe the IMOD is essentially the older VLTOR ModStock with the EMOD's built in rubber pad. The older ModStock used a rubber pad that slipped over the butt.

I'll second what m4fun said - stocks are a personal choice, and I prefer different stocks on different rifles. If you can try them out, that's the best option.

davidz71
08-01-10, 21:08
I just made the switch from the MOE to the ACS. I really like the feel and support the ACS gives against my face and the sights seem to line up consistently when my LWRC is brought up to my face. The stock is not much heavier than the MOE and considerably lighter than the UBR. I thought at first that I would not be able to lengthen the stock of the ACS as quickly as the MOE but it hasn't been a problem.

Grease Monkey
08-01-10, 21:14
I've used the MOE,CTR,LMT SOPMOD,ACS, Vltor modstock and iMod. The imod is by far my fav. I've sold all my other stocks to get more imods for my rifles. I think as far as bang for buck they are the best. They have everything you could want minus big storage. Before the imod it was the modstock. Unless it's for an spr or something I don't think you will be disappointed. If you are I'll buy it from you!:D

tvfreakarms
08-01-10, 21:22
Someone had a imod or emod can't remember which one and I really like the feel on my cheek. It was comfortable. More than the moe. That's why im planning on getting a newer stock.

I like the emod because of it's thicker rubber butt pad. But i really don't care for the extra weight even though if it's not all that much. That's why i'm looking to get the imod. But I wonder if i could get the thicker rubber butt pad for it if it's interchangeable like the magpul. Second, can i use the current kit that i have for the moe and use it on the vltor imod, emod, acs or do i have to buy a new kit?

I also noticed that the emod stock is a little longer in length compared to imod. Is there advantage having it longer? Or is it more for aesthetics?

The ACS and especially the EMOD are heavier than the new IMOD. I've become very conscious of component weight lately.

I've owned the ACS and IMOD, and of the two I prefer the IMOD. It is several ounces lighter, comes with QD points built-in (you have to buy the QD socket for the ACS) and is priced lower. It might not have the friction lock, but the IMOD was tight on my VLTOR receiver extension. There was no play at all - in fact, I have to pull hard to get it to move.

From what I can tell, the IMOD and EMOD rubber pads are very similar. I believe the IMOD is essentially the older VLTOR ModStock with the EMOD's built in rubber pad. The older ModStock used a rubber pad that slipped over the butt.

I'll second what m4fun said - stocks are a personal choice, and I prefer different stocks on different rifles. If you can try them out, that's the best option.

JSGlock34
08-01-10, 22:02
I like the emod because of it's thicker rubber butt pad. But i really don't care for the extra weight even though if it's not all that much. That's why i'm looking to get the imod.

But I wonder if i could get the thicker rubber butt pad for it if it's interchangeable like the magpul.

The IMOD and EMOD rubber pads are very similar, if not identical. So I think you'll be pleased with the IMOD. I don't know if there are different size rubber pads for the VLTOR stocks. MilitaryMoron posted a detailed review of the IMOD here (http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.furniture2.html) in which he talks about how it differs from the EMOD.

Second, can i use the current kit that i have for the moe and use it on the vltor imod, emod, acs or do i have to buy a new kit?

Not sure what you mean by 'current kit'. If you mean the receiver extension, then yes, you can use the current receiver extension (sometimes called a 'buffer tube'). However, note that receiver extensions come in two different sizes - commercial and military - and you'll need to ensure you order the correct one. I believe the MOE, ACS and IMOD are all available in either size.

I also noticed that the emod stock is a little longer in length compared to imod. Is there advantage having it longer? Or is it more for aesthetics?

Some people find a longer stock better for use with a magnified optic. Depends on you and your build.

You might find this article useful...USMC03 AR15 Buttstock Considerations. (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations)

Caeser25
08-01-10, 22:10
FWIW I just went from ACS to MOE but I might switch back. I thought the lop was too much even on the first notch but the MOE is ok out ot notch 3 on the rec ext....:confused:

ucrt
08-01-10, 22:17
I've tried the E-Mod, I-Mod, and CTR. I like the CTR the best. My abused cheekbones just don't mate well with the Vltor stocks with the battery tubes. I tried the Vltors with the drop-down "tubeless" replacements and they were better but without the storage ability they were no big advantage.

The CTR's are lighter and have a QD Sling Swivel point. Be careful you don't get the "import" version of the CTR I saw this weekend - it was pitiful.

ca_fireman19
08-19-10, 23:28
I've now tried the standard M4, MOE, CTR, VLTR Emod, and Lewis Machine SOPMOD...though it is ridiculously expensive, the SOPMOD is by far the most comfortable and second most rigid. If you can afford it or find one for a fair price, go for the SOPMOD.