PDA

View Full Version : Custom Chest Rig/Armor Carrier

R1pper
06-20-07, 13:13
Im looking for some feed back from all the operators out there. I want to make a custom chest rig that has pouches for at least 6 AR style mags 2-4 pistol mags and other assorted pouches. Im looking for your feed back b/c I want to make a decent proto that is operator friendly and maybe open my own grassroots style company (wishful thinking). I dont want to steal any ideas and im not trying to turn the tactical gear world upside down either. Any feed back from you guys would be great. Just think of what you do and dont like about your current set up

R1pper
06-21-07, 07:15
I just want to set one thing straight. Im not a manufacturer acting as a spy. I just want to to create my own line of Armor carrier and web gear. I have family that works for a manufacturer that can have custom items made for me

KevinB
06-21-07, 15:59
So many guys have different needs and wants out of gear, you'll never get a consensus.

I'd go for a MOLLE/PALS system rather than anything with set pockets (its too limiting - you end up needing like 8 vests instead of one or two) and pockets and pouches tend to wear and tear before the rest of the vest.

Good luck

(I'd offer more help -- but a gear design has offered to pay for some of my ideas ;) )

I'll post more in the morning (my morning) on some other stuff.

Voodoochild
06-21-07, 18:47
So many guys have different needs and wants out of gear, you'll never get a consensus.

I'd go for a MOLLE/PALS system rather than anything with set pockets (its too limiting - you end up needing like 8 vests instead of one or two) and pockets and pouches tend to wear and tear before the rest of the vest.

Good luck

(I'd offer more help -- but a gear design has offered to pay for some of my ideas ;) )

I'll post more in the morning (my morning) on some other stuff.

So does this mean we will see Kevin B tac gear coming out? The new MC Kevin B uber tactical chest rig.

shoothouse artist
06-22-07, 01:32

I agree with this fellow, i think its all operation specfic... you cant beat the molle system for dynamic needs.

i would think for a top operator, the more the better, i love those 3x3 9 mag pouches and the 3x3 9mag ak pouches( bc you can use the magpulranger plates with your mags or the 40 rounders)

I also think big bags like old over the shoulder gas mask pouches that look like big lady purses are perfect for carrying spare mags. i wish someone would make a "man purse for carrying 30+ mags

i also would speculate that more and more people are going 308 if you havent already figure it out.

just my 2 cents

KevinB
06-22-07, 10:46
FWIW -- I like tight pouches -
I've flipped between Paracletes M4 pouches to TT shingles and back. the muscle memory form a non sloppy pouch allow you to grab for a mag and get it a lot easier that fumbling thru a large sloppy pouch.

I told a guy who did some custom work for me several years ago that I would help him with some ideas - I have no interest to retire into the gear arena, its a dog eat dog world - and if you make the greatest gear the demand will create a choke point on your supply and people will get pissed -- and if you do a Blackhawk and spit out crap gear in volume - people will still hate you.

One mod I do find that may have some merit is a wrap around c-bun for the RAV. And an internal 6 or 7 pack M4 mag rack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Gear/MasterChief004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Gear/RAV003.jpg

The C bund mod full rap is a design that a buddy and I did up -based off an initial CAG shooters 2/3rd wrap mod to a RAV.

The 6 pack was designed to streamline to mags to the body and allow really fast access during DA's
We found later you can get a 7 pack on the the Large RAV with no major issues. All this frees up area for an IFAK, Frags, DD's and Smoke.

I just prefer the CIRAS (M) so we did not really persue the Paraclete wrap to where it could have gone.

I wish you luck on your endevous its a tough market to get into - as Eagle and Paraclete market some really good stuff -- and there are a lot of other companies putting out stuff too.

R1pper
06-22-07, 11:27
That is the plan to offer it all in the MOLLE platform. Im seeking more what about the pouches you do and dont like what you like to see things like that. I know I should have been more specific but I feel as if i might have bitten off more than I can Chew.

eggroll
06-22-07, 16:00
From what is currently out in industry combined with all the nuggets of feedback from folks on the various forums, it is VERY possible to come up with several designs out of the blocks. The question is are you ready for the long haul or are you in it just to make quick cheddar?

by the way, you may find that certain product segments have been throughly exploited and some maybe not as much.

KevinB
06-22-07, 16:51
I have yet to find a Smoke pouch I like...

Eggy can tell you from the custom Nylon business that its doable.

I know nothing about the manufacture side -- and some stuff the end user wants - will turn out to be impracticle from a design standpoint (or so some designers keep telling me ;) )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Gear/Gear-Iraq010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Gear/Gear-Iraq011.jpg

This my current "pouch of the month" setup in the role I am currently in (High Pro PSD - Fighting Follow/CAT)
Its bulkier than I like - but I cant reall remove anything., and I run a Kifaru E&E for a car BOB.

What I'd really like is an open top Paraclete like M4 pouch that had enough rentension - I find TT's too bulky when stacked

I'd like a Medic pouch that has an external Torniquet pouch (my only downside to my Endom BOMB that I have ID'd so far)

The smoke pouch -- why can no one have a velcro closure with an elastic retention and be slightly lower cut?

I prefer an intergrate armor system (like the RAV and CIRAS) - but others dont -- I just find the extra layers to be surplus layers of nylon for no good reason.

Just my Saturday morning ramblings...

eggroll
06-22-07, 23:48
KevinB

Shoot over a PM with your specific requirements for the smoke pouch and I'll make it happen for you *free* :D

03humpalot
06-24-07, 07:04
Im with you on the Integrated rig Kev,
If you like the TT stackable M4 pouches try the Diamondback tactical version (similiar build but cut shorter so you can get better purchase on the mags before withdrawing them from the pouch).
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7870/sany0036zm2.jpg

I still havent found a smoke pouch that works well either and just carry one in my EGL E&E bag.

Be safe dude.

R1pper
06-25-07, 07:58
Eggroll. Im not really looking for a get rich quick thing. I just want to sell gear designed the way the individual wants it.

eggroll
06-26-07, 16:09
dick

its not a matter of me questioning your intent, realize that a good chunk of custom building gear is to retroactively research what has already been doled out here. Build a representative sample of your wares, be mindful of criticisms (more so surprisingly if they like a piece of kit) and place them on the boards.

Custom gear building is a matter of relationship building and getting the *pulse* of whats out there in Consumer-land, knowing what to look for is something that takes time. It isnt an overnight thing.

There is a plethora of intellectual capital to glean from on this board and several others of a similar ilk. Have you read through all the threads gear related? Theres still a bunch of information out there.

egg