PDA

View Full Version : New compact lightweight AR specific Multi-tools

Zach
08-02-10, 06:09
Gents, I received the new ULTRALIGHT and TUBE Multi-tools from Multitasker. They are designed around the needs of an AR user with AR-specific functions. So far I’m impressed with the high quality and functionality of both.

The ULTRALIGHT comes with a MOLLE compatible heavy duty carry pouch which holds the tool and 10 bits in sizes most commonly associated with an AR/M16 and AR accessories.

- Textured G10 Side Panels

- Brass shanked dental pick/scraper, which is threaded to the Ultralight with 8-32 male threads compatible with the OTIS cleaning kit, so you can use the flexible cleaning rod and brushes.

- Bolt Tail and Carrier carbon scraper with unique bent-tip radiused edge.

- Receiver Extension Castel-Nut Wrench with built-in 5/16” Flat-tip screwdriver.

- Magnetic bit holder with 10 assorted bits to include an A2 style 4-prong Front Sight Post adjuster.

- Each tool has its own separate liner lock.

- Built-In Lanyard Loop with Pocket Clip.

- 4.25” X 1.00” X 0.75”, weighs 6oz

The TUBE, form of a pen, comes with heavy duty storage case which holds the tool and 10 bits in sizes most commonly associated with an AR/M16 and AR accessories. The storage case is outfitted with internal elastic straps and pockets to secure the accessories.

- CNC machined from 6061T6 aluminum

- The same Bolt Tail and Carrier carbon scraper found on the Ultralight Multi-tool, removable and interchangeable with the brass shanked dental pick/scraper.

- As with the Ultralight Multi-tool, the TUBE is threaded with 8-32 male threads compatible with the OTIS cleaning kit pull cable and accessories.

- Lower Receiver Pivot Pin/Take-down Pin punch.

- Pocket Clip which also serves as a flat-tip screwdriver.

- Magnetic bit holder with 10 assorted bits to include an A2 style 4-prong Front Sight Post adjuster.

- 5.25” long x 5/8” diameter, weighs 2oz

The ULTRALIGHT is compact, robust, easy to use and can be carried easily. You pretty much have all the tools you need for cleaning and maintenance at the range or in the field in one compact package mountable on a chest rig/MOLLE vest. If you own an AR the ULTRALIGHT is definitely worth having.

The pouch leaves room for improvement, I find that the ULTRALIGHT sits a bit loose. Adding an elasting strap in front of the bits to secure the dental pick/scraper when using OTIS accessories would be a handy addition.

The TUBE is so small and lightweight that you can easy carry it in your pocket or in your GI cleaning kit. A great handy AR specific Multi-tool.

They will be available through Brownells around 8/10.

Shane the owner of Multitasker, a straight shooter, is supporting our troops and the Wounded Warrior Project.

Zach
08-02-10, 06:13
More pics

DREK
08-03-10, 12:10
Very Nice review.
Thanks !

ForTehNguyen
08-03-10, 15:53
more
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2453-Multitasker-AR15-Multi-Tools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vJ9u8SRh7M

I see it on brownells for $79.99, but OOS

UDT
08-03-10, 17:23
Thanks, for sharing. Nice review.

JSantoro
08-03-10, 20:40
In addition, there's also a Leatherman-type multitool, as seen in this photo: http://www.multitaskertools.com/

I'm also futzing around with all three, courtesy of Shane. The multitool variant of the Multitasker series is pretty big, but no more so than a couple of the larger Leatherman models.

I've used them in two classes, so far, and have some notes but want to take them to the desert. Zach, barring violent objection from you, I'll plunk my disjointed ravings here...

Zach
08-04-10, 05:49
Jim, you are more than welcome.

JSantoro
09-10-10, 15:58
Bump...

I was asked to batter some of the Multitasker tools around to see what I could see about them. I've got info to feed, which I'll be doing in the coming week.

Your BLUF (Bottom Line, Up Front): I like 'em, but wouldn't say I love 'em. No multitool is perfect for every situation, and these are no different, so I'd call them a worthwhile gun-specific capability enhancement to any standard Gerber/Leatherman and their analogues, which any swinging Richard worth their salt should have on their body or in their kit, unless one carts around a full tool-kit.....

Details to follow, anon.

(Dammmit, I need to take pictures!)

JSantoro
11-11-10, 00:12
Disjointed ravings!

I've been making use of all three of the Multitasker tools (MT fron here on out, for brevity) for the last several months. This includes USMC training evolutions aboard Quantico VA, Camp Atterbury IN, Ft Dix NJ, Camp Billy Machen CA, where I let Marines use them and told them to treat them like overspecialized rocks. Also used at an FPF Training Minuteman Rifle class and an EAG Tactical Basic Rifle class, each in Culpeper VA, and my own comings and goings to various ranges that I won't bore you by listing.

I basically divided these tools up based on which platform had the most/least other tools, so the Tool II (the multi-tool variant) went on my PC, the Ultralight on my 1st-line belt, and the Tube in my range bag. Hopefully one can see into the method for my madness in this regard; my range bag has all sorts of tools in it already, so I kept the MT with the least aggregate functionality in it. The Tool II's pliers and knife make it great for most GP stuff and adds some AR-specific things that can be of fairly immediate need from time to time.

Zack gave an excellent description of the smaller tools, so I'm going to stick to the Tool II:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1288/toolii.jpg

Basically the same stuff as on the Ultralight, with the addition of a few things: a 3/8" wrench for use on LaRue throw arm adjustment (or whatever else of 3/8" size that needs...uhhh, wrenching?), a file with a decent-sized flathead screwdriver on the end, a tanto knife blade, and needle-nose pliers. The RE wrench on this doesn't have the screwdriver, since it's on the file.

Besides GP use of the pliers and wrench one would expect, I got the most use out of:
-the screwdriver on the file

Current RCOs in the Corps utilize the TA51 mount, which uses a manual tensioning apparatus, which is a douchebag way of saying that it uses a couple of big honking tightening knobs that can be further torqued using a flathead screwdriver or similar. Suffice to say, I am around these optics somewhat frequently, and that one of the main gigs I run across is mounts that are improperly torqued. In the past, I have found that, in lieu of a screwdriver, the end of the rasp usually found on a Gerber multi-tool is the perfect size for use in the slots on the TA51 knobs. No slop, which usually means the thing won't slip our as easily as when using something too small.

This screwdriver is smaller than that, but not substantially so, and works quite well. Particularly since the metal used on this little joy seems to be far less brittle and prone to snapping the hell off as I have found to be used in Gerber products. Not to bag on Gerber multitools; I like their setups, but I've broken quite a few rasps, screwdrivers, bottle openers, etc.

-the 3/8" wrench

Moving away from the RCO, it's gotten to the point that one can't swing the proverbial dead (meaning GOOD) cat over their head without hitting some optic device with a LaRue rail interface on it. Hopefully, we do the same with the RCO, if for no other reason than so it can keep up with the Joneses. The wrench that comes with the optics, let's face it, is easy to losse, whereas one that's part of a whole other mess 'o' tools is far less likely to be misplaces while just as likely to be needed. It's pretty line-of-sight thinking.....

-believe it or not...the scraper, but not for the reasons one might think

For demonstrational purposes, only. My sainted Noveske upper doesn't have such plebian issues as stuck cases (yeah, RIIIIGHT), but in the absence of punch rods, I've done this with carbines, SAWs and M240s. It's not THE solution, but it is A solution...
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6374/stuckcase.jpg

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1408/usescrapingtool.jpg

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7769/prypullstraightback.jpg

Things I ain't so jazzed about; they're sorta trivial, but they stick in my head:

-the MOLLE pouches they come with

Let's face it, it's a pouch. Not a big deal, but they are thick and rigid, and they don't need to be. By all means, keep the little interior pocket for the driver heads, but these could easily be of simple Cordura and not made in black.

-the front sight tool

Not in and of itself, it's useful as hell, and like the LaRue wrench, not as likely to get lost because it's a part of a greater whole. However, it can be a snug fit into the wings of a FSB. Because it's held magnetically, when you pull up on the thing, it can be left behind, which is a penne-ante PITA. I think one of those little spring-loaded balls like those found on ratcheting driver sockets could be incorporated as a possible solution, but I imagine that'd bump up production costs and time. It's a like-to-have, in my mind, and not a have-to-have.

-lack of locks
Only the knife locks, but I admit that I don't see how to incorporate any more than that without taking the Tool II to a thickness that might make it undesirable. There is no One Ring to Tule Them All.....

In regard specifically to the Tube and the picks: I'd like to see more types offerred. right-angle, shallow hook, sharp-bend hook, stuff like that, so that differing nooks and crannies can be gotten to. The Tube has a sizable case that comes with it, which includes elastic holders for stuff that exact size, so it would make sense with the Tube, but not for the Ultralight or the Tool II.

Summary:
My overall opinion of these tools if overwhelmingly favorable, when held up against other brands of GP multi-tools as tools for use with ARs. A few gigs, but nothing substantive. I particularly like the Ultralight for the nice balance of functionality and size, and it's +/-$70, which is in the same realm as other multi-tools.

There is a legend within the Corps that has variations, but goes something like this: Give a Marine 3 BBs. Come back the next day, and one BB will be smashed flat, one will be missing, and that Marine will swear on a stack of Bibles that you only gave him 2 BBs.

None of these BBs got smashed flat, and they were used to beat, pry, scrape and cut things by one of the most destructive forces on the face of the earth -- the US Marine Lance Corporal, who is capable of being either the most magnificant creature you've ever run across OR the stupidest entity you never hope to meet again...often in the same two-hour period, and repeat that several times in a week. They are horrifically awesome people, and were of enormous help to me in abusing these tools.

Shane gave me these things to test out, and I will not be keeping them. Having been tested, they will go where they belong, in the hands of some of the gentlemen that helped try to destroy them, and I will purchase my own Ultralight, at the very least. Thanks to Shane for the opportunity and his patience, especially since I'm behind schedule getting this done. He can be reached via PM here, under the screenname "Multitaskertools," or via email at the following: info@multitaskertools.com.

Multitaskertools
11-12-10, 19:44
Shane gave me these things to test out, and I will not be keeping them. Having been tested, they will go where they belong, in the hands of some of the gentlemen that helped try to destroy them, and I will purchase my own Ultralight, at the very least.

Jim,

Big thanks to you (and your guys) for taking time out to test these tools. Let me get a count and I'll be happy to donate more Multitaskers, I know you will see they get put to good use.

And I'll let you know when I get a case extractor attachment prototype for you to try out.

Shane