PDA

View Full Version : Asian Military Glock mags?

ColdDeadHands
08-02-10, 06:13
Are they any good?

Iraqgunz
08-02-10, 06:22
The question has been posed before. No, they are crap. An Army EOD unit had some they were using with their G17's and they were constantly having malfunctions. I replaced them all with factory mags and then smashed the crap pnes with a hammer.

Spend the money and get factory mags.

Are they any good?

shooter521
08-02-10, 08:38
IME, the bodies and followers are good, but the springs are trash. I've had 20 of them in service for a little over a year. They are older production, with unmarked or "KCI" floorplates; newer ones have also been sold under the "Khan" and "Victory" brands. They needed a few dozen loading/unloading cycles to get everything broken in and loading/feeding smoothly (did not have any malfunctions during this time), but everything went well until recently, when I started experiencing failures to feed and failures to lock open on empty in my G34 and G17. I stripped all the aftermarket mags, and found that the springs had compressed to the point where they were flush or even below flush with the bottom of the mag body. :o Replaced the springs with Wolff +5% and re-tested yesterday; no issues.

FWIW.

And of course, the whole "Asian military" thing is just hype to make the mags sound more "exotic"; CDNN has never seen a sensationalized marketing ploy it hasn't liked. :rolleyes: The only mags this might be remotely true for is the G19 variety; I have read the G19 is the issue sidearm for South Korea's "Blue House" security detail (equivalent to the Secret Service). Pretty sure all the other types (G17, 18, 22, 23) are made specifically for the US commercial market.

kaltesherz
08-02-10, 08:38
...while I on the other hand have been using them for months and have had no failures what-so-ever. I bought 2 when I picked up my G19 and use them exclusively for training and have put probably 600 rounds through them, just got 4 more from CDNN for $6 a pop and shot them yesterday with no problems. The first mags I bought are noticeably higher quality than the second batch, but both feed just fine. The mag springs seem extremely weak, but so far this hasn't been a problem. FYI I also keep them fully loaded when stored.
Obviously, YMMV

ETA: All of these mags are KCI G19 mags

skyugo
08-02-10, 13:11
i have 2 KCI mags for my g19 and the flooplates are cracked and about to blow off. dropped like 3-4 times at the range. pretty pathetic.
they seem to feed fine though :confused:

civilian
08-02-10, 13:21
I bought 10 for $100 somewhere...Kahn Industries or something like that is the name of the particular mags I purchased. Replaced the springs with Wolff's and they've been good to go as range mags. Cheap way to double up my training mag stock, but I wouldn't use them outside of range use. They don't work in my Gen 4 G17, but that appears to be the result of not having #6 followers. Work fine in my RTF 2 17.

Mark/MO
08-02-10, 16:59
I have two that a friend gave me for my G19. Both have KCI marked floorplates. I only use them for range work and playing (IDPA/USPSA). For the price (free) they seem OK but probably not on par with the factory ones. I've not noticed any spring weakness but will watch for it.

So far they haven't given any problems but definitely practice mags only in my opinion.

ColdDeadHands
08-02-10, 17:49
Thanks for the replies. Seems like after buying the mag for $6 and a wolff spring for $7 I might as well stick with oem glock mags.

Slater
08-02-10, 18:08
Bought 4 of them from Cheaper Than Dirt to use as range mags. They came with the cheapo mag pouches. Total (with shipping): $24.50

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/001-2.jpg