PDA

View Full Version : need advice for a concealed g19 holster...

Mr.Bickle
08-02-10, 18:31
Just picked up my first glock a few weeks ago, g19 gen 3. I'm loving it so far. I'm looking for some opinions on what types of carry holsters other forum members have used and their experiences with different ones.

The only holster I have for it right now is a safariland drop leg, which is fantastic for the range/classes, but it leaves a bit to be desired for concealment!

The rtf frame is fantastic, I had a good grip through a recent class, despite sweating in 100 degree heat, ripped a good hole in my palm though, and left all kinds of 'skin bits' in the dimples

Oh yeah here's the obligatory pic of the new piece (with my 1911):

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/vinnylinks1234/IMG_1904.jpg

orionz06
08-02-10, 19:21
I am partial to the Comp-Tac CTAC, I have used it with larger guns and concealed without issue. I know most people can conceal with the CTAC or MTAC, but knowing your build might help others make a suggestion. Also, where do you wish to have the gun? 3:00, appendix, above the wallet? Some holsters are better than others based on location.

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-02-10, 19:28
You will hear this often...

Milt Sparks Versa Max II

fantastic IWB holster, for AIWB CCC Looper. I've tried Fist, CTAC, Raven, etc and the VMII has been the most comfortable.

GU

jdavis6576
08-02-10, 19:30
I have an RTF2 (minus the gills) and I carry it or my Gen4 G19 in a Comp-Tac MTAC. I wasted quite a bit of money on other holsters before settling on this one three or so years ago.

I thought my RTF2 was too aggressive so I took some 600 grit sandpaper to it and smoothed it out some. I actually like the texture on it now more than the Gen4. If you decide to go that route, go slow as you can always take more off but trying to glue those little pyramids back on would be a test of patience!

JonInWA
08-02-10, 19:47
Blade-Tech's IWB for my Gen 3 G19 (and most of my other Glocks).

Best, Jon

TRD
08-02-10, 20:03
DeSantis makes some good IWB holsters - definitely recommend them.

rushca01
08-02-10, 20:21
I use the Compt Tac MTAC and it has been working well for me.

sammage
08-02-10, 20:26
I've had my G19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck for over a year, very comfortable, and conceals great with a good belt.

Mr.Bickle
08-02-10, 20:29
Thanks for all of the input so far !

I'm 6`, 210 lbs, medium build, right handed....my preference is to carry right at my side.

I plan on keeping a list of all of the reccomendations on here and then checking them all out at a local gun show next weekend. My local shops don't have a huge selection of holsters, and I really don't wanna piss away money. At the show there are holster guys that have bins with everything, and I can try before I buy, as well as trading off some stuff I came buy thats just laying around.

I already have some junk going back to midway...I don't think I'll ever buy a holster again before I can try it on, what a bunch of aggravation reurning stuff !

gun71530
08-02-10, 21:38
I use the CCC Looper and love it.

kjdoski
08-02-10, 22:42
I prefer OWB carry. For a leather holster, after MANY attempts to find the perfect holster, I've found the Alessi CQC to be the best option out there. For kydex OWB, I use the Raven Concealment System. For IWB, the only holster I use for my G19 or any other pistol I own is the FIST #1K.

Regards,

Kevin

demkofour
08-02-10, 22:54
I prefer OWB carry. For a leather holster, after MANY attempts to find the perfect holster, I've found the Alessi CQC to be the best option out there. For kydex OWB, I use the Raven Concealment System. For IWB, the only holster I use for my G19 or any other pistol I own is the FIST #1K.

Regards,

Kevin

+1 on the Alessi CQC. Originally designed by Lou Alessi in conjunction with Dave Spaulding, the CQC rides close and high, but not too close or high. Security is provided by closely boned fitting and fit and finish is great. I guess the only draw back is the wait time. But well worth the wait...

Iraqgunz
08-03-10, 03:39
I use a Kramer vertical scabbard made from Horsehide. They are absolute great holsters. This is my second.

DasBulk
08-03-10, 05:19
I've been carrying my 19 since November in a crossbreed super tuck. Have zero complaints.

barca101
08-03-10, 05:50
I will be using a Kaluban Cloak holster with tac light. You should check them out.

Curare
08-03-10, 06:17
I have no complaints with the VM2 for my G19. It's the best solution I've tried for a thick pistol.

The problem is also owning a P7M8 with VM2. Steel single stack is the way to fly with IWB.

Shane1
08-03-10, 06:40
Mr. Bickle,

1st you should look at how you think you might want to carry it. IWB, OWB etc? There are some great suggestions here on holster types but you do need to narrow it down to how your going to carry it. There are multiple advantages/disadvantages to IWB and OWB both. If you can borrow one of each type and try to see what your preferred method of carry is. You are going to be carrying concealed I take it? Think about how you want to dress. You have summer vs. winter dress. Will that dictate wether or not your want IWB or OWB? I use both methods depending on what Im doing, weather, needs etc. In my day job, I currently use a RCS for my G23 w/ x300. I have a SPADA on order for my G35 since we are mandated those now. I use/was using the RCS as EDC off the clock 80% of the time. I just picked up a Peters IWB for the G23 Combo to try. When its high 90's, I use a BT or Kramer IWB. There are so many options out there. Take your time, borrow some holsters and see what works for you.

ColdDeadHands
08-03-10, 06:56
check out nm-holsters.com...great value and top-notch quality.

vaglocker
08-03-10, 06:57
CCC Shaggy is the tits for AIWB mode of carry.

afff_667
08-03-10, 08:19
Another satisfied Milt Sparks VM-2 user here for IWB....I did, however, recently order an Atomic Dog holster to give OWB a try.

I once had a Comp-Tac CTAC that was very well made and did the job it was supposed to do. I really can't say enough good about that holster and mag pouch as far as quality and the customer service/buying experience are concerned. The problem for me was that it was somewhat uncomfortable. I was using it when I was 90 pounds heavier, though, so I'm pretty confident it was the extra "padding" and not the holster itself that was an issue.

jasonhgross
08-03-10, 08:50
Another vote for Kramer: Horsehide IWB 3 or if you want outside, one of their belt scabbards. A close number 2 choice is Mitch Rosen ARG, if you like the grip angle the offset belt loops really help minimize the profile of the holster.

notorious_ar15
08-03-10, 11:58
I would also say that the Comp-Tac Minotaur is a good fit for the G-19. There is a good amount of adjustability - look at how the clips attach, and the different options you have there.
You can also change out the bodies later if you want to carry something else, and their service is great, no long wait times, etc...

opmike
08-03-10, 12:48
I'm a big fan of the MTAC and CTAC, myself. I'm a slim guy, and I don't have too much trouble concealing a Glock 19 or M&P full size.

chrisinohio
08-03-10, 15:39
I've been through more holsters than I care to count.

The one I prefer now is the Blade-Tech Bobby McGee Nano. Light, thin and extremely concealable. I have one for my G21 that I wear under nothing but a black t-shirt on a regular basis. Give it a try.

Chris

matrxx
08-03-10, 18:24
I own VS MII,TT , Galco,Comptact,..
You should try comp-tact to see how you like it.

jeremy45
08-03-10, 22:52
I have been carrying a G19 for about a year and a half in a "Black Ops Pro" from Rocky at PureKustom. He makes great leather and has a holster that is very adjustable to suit your needs and body type and also extremely comfortable.

Jeremy45

ccoker
08-04-10, 10:18
Like most people here, I have a big box of holsters
another one to throw out as an option to check out is the Threat Solutions UCR

very thin...

Shepard
08-04-10, 13:15
Crossbreed Supertuck if you're planning IWB. (They come with a 2 week money back, return period if you don't like it!) I've heard good thing about the Raven Phantom which I was planning for my 1911 before I sold it to get a G27, (The G22 was a little big sometimes).

dojpros
08-04-10, 15:56
Leather OWB-Kramer
Leather IWB- Milt Sparks SS II or VM II or Leather Arsenal Deep Concealment Model
Leather AIWB Disebiens #4

Kydex OWB- Raven CS ( in .80 or .93 thick kydex)
Kydex IWB- Raven CS (same holster as above with soft loops) or Blade Tech
Kydex AIWB-Custom Carry Concepts (CCC) Looper or Shaggy

Mag pouches ( 2 singles)

CCC
OEM Glock

dbrowne1
08-04-10, 16:40

Avenger29
08-04-10, 21:20
I have a C5 Leather "Montana" IWB holster for my S&W M&P. He delivered by the projected lead time and called me before he started building the holster to confirm my choices and talk with me a bit.

It was priced right, too. It's a similar design to the VMII, but a lot cheaper and a lot quicker...but I don't know anything about tucking capabilities.

Seraph
08-05-10, 00:27
For maximum concealment, all day comfort, excellent retention and draw, top shelf construction ethic, gorgeous appearance, and zero excess bulk...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/Glock19_web_03.jpg

DocGKR
08-05-10, 03:00
For a G19 IWB in leather I like the Milt Sparks Heritage #1, the Kramer IWB #2, Alessi PCH, and Garrity Invictus; for a Kydex IWB the CCC Looper, Raven Phantom, Peters Hold Fast, and Fricke Archangel/Seraphim work well for my needs.

For OWB in leather I like the Alessi DOJ open port or Kramer vertical scabbard; for Kydex OWB I like the Peters Spada, Raven Phantom, and Fricke Gideon Elite. If you need retention, the Safariland 6377 and Holsters Plus Sure-Lock will work for OWB.

ccoker
08-05-10, 09:36
For maximum concealment, all day comfort, excellent retention and draw, top shelf construction ethic, gorgeous appearance, and zero excess bulk...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/Glock19_web_03.jpg

nice looking holster
shot you an email

Seraph
08-06-10, 11:16
nice looking holster
shot you an email

Gotcha covered, ccoker. Holsters out...

ccoker
08-06-10, 13:31
cool, a 1911 and G19 holster
looking forward to getting them and doing a review

SteveL
08-06-10, 13:46
I have a newly acquired M&P 9c and am a relative new comer to the world of CCW. I've been eyeing the Crossbreed SuperTuck and the CompTac Minotaur MTac. They appear to be of similar design and I was wondering if anyone here has experience with both of them and which one of the two you would recommend and why. Thanks to anyone who can help.

ccoker
08-06-10, 16:00
I have a newly acquired M&P 9c and am a relative new comer to the world of CCW. I've been eyeing the Crossbreed SuperTuck and the CompTac Minotaur MTac. They appear to be of similar design and I was wondering if anyone here has experience with both of them and which one of the two you would recommend and why. Thanks to anyone who can help.

both are about the same thing and are comfortable

ColdDeadHands
08-06-10, 18:11

imo the Mtac is much nicer & more comfortable. The crossbreed I had was made out of super stiff leather and there was way to much material in the back...had to cut it to be able to get my hand around the grip. I understand he has a combat cut option which is basically the same what I did with mine.

SteveL
08-06-10, 19:06
both are about the same thing and are comfortable

imo the Mtac is much nicer & more comfortable. The crossbreed I had was made out of super stiff leather and there was way to much material in the back...had to cut it to be able to get my hand around the grip. I understand he has a combat cut option which is basically the same what I did with mine.

Thanks guys. All input is much appreciated.

Redneck19
09-22-10, 16:49
I am partial to the Comp-Tac CTAC, I have used it with larger guns and concealed without issue.

The CTAC looks verrry slick. I'm attracted to it because it seems like there is less material contacting skin than the MTAC.

Does the CTAC lose supporting ability due to less material?

Ironbutt
09-22-10, 17:25
I prefer to carry OWB. With a tight riding holster a t-shirt will conceal it nicely. I use a Mitch Rosen for my Glocks & R. Grizzle for the Sigs.

If I have to carry IWB I use a Crossbreed ST. It's about as comfortable as IWB gets.

dc202
09-23-10, 00:35
You will hear this often...

Milt Sparks Versa Max II

fantastic IWB holster, for AIWB CCC Looper. I've tried Fist, CTAC, Raven, etc and the VMII has been the most comfortable.

GU

PLUS ONE on the Sparks IWB. Absolutely incredible if comfort, quickness, and long-term reliability matter to you.

Alpha Sierra
09-23-10, 06:12
Give a look to Tucker Gunleather's Secret IWB. It will hide a 17 in complete comfort, so a 19 will be no sweat.

Alpha Sierra
09-23-10, 06:12
The CTAC looks verrry slick.
It is also very uncomfortable.

Redneck19
09-23-10, 08:11
It is also very uncomfortable.

Ooook. So is the super tuck more comfortable?

Ironbutt
09-23-10, 08:35

I can only speak for myself, but I think it's about as good as an IWB holster gets. I got my ST horsehide for my Sig 220 two days before I left for vacation last year, so I didn't have time to break it in.

I put it on, drove from PA to FL, (Removing the gun to drive thru MD & SC, because they don't have reciprocity with PA), & wore it every waking moment for the entire 2 week vacation & the drive back. They're pretty comfortable.

They are ugly, though. I'm an old fart who loves quality gun leather, but I use the ST when carrying IWB.

Alpha Sierra
09-23-10, 16:12
Nope.

I have one sitting in the box o' holsters. It's retention was way too tight from the maker (should have never happened) and the clips were utter garbage (though I hear he now uses metal clips).

This is a truly comfortable holster. My G17 rides in it all day long without issue:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/rlcompanyusa_2119_2324072

TheLefty
09-24-10, 00:20

Opinions will vary from person to person, and a lot of it depends on your body type.

I have a Supertuck and a Ctac, and while the Supertuck is a little more comfortable, I much prefer the Ctac. The Ctac is a lot less bulky for someone of small stature (such as myself), and while it may not be the epitome of comfort, it doesn't bother me to wear it all day.

Also, the clips on the Supertuck have long been changed, and the current design is excellent.

I don't have any reservations recommending either holster, it just depends on what you're looking for, and what fits you.

novashooter
09-24-10, 20:13
CCC Shaggy is the tits for AIWB mode of carry.

I second this!!! Shaggy is the answer!

556A2
09-24-10, 23:42
My Comp-Tac MTAC works great for my G19 & G17.

Bizzarolibe
09-25-10, 00:58
I used to have a Comp-tac MTAC for my Walther PPS. It gave me back problems.

I now use a Crossbreed mini-tuck (trimmed down version of the supertuck). It's smooth like butta. No more back problems.

cdunn
09-25-10, 19:52
I recently picked up an IWB from here
http://www.lefthandholster.com/holsters.html
and my owb is a rafters.
http://www.raftersgunleather.com/