PDA

View Full Version : The last man living in ANWR

mrjones
08-02-10, 21:46
Kick back, relax, crack open a beer, and watch this for 50 minutes:

http://www.vbs.tv/newsroom/heimo-s-arctic-refuge-full-length--2

Very compelling film about Heimo Korth, the last of the grandfathered-in residents of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Lots of useful info on living off the land.

BrianS
08-03-10, 04:48
I watched most of it... actually made me a little depressed to think that in a few more years no humans will be allowed to live in an area the size of South Carolina. Seems like the triumph of a backwards way of thinking.

C45P312
08-03-10, 06:38
Thanks for that. I just finished watching it. Very eye opening.

whiterabbit05
08-03-10, 12:37
Very interesting.

vaglocker
08-03-10, 13:24
If I had it to do all over again I would be in Alaska right now. Maybe not living in the bush but there none the less.

tampam4
08-03-10, 13:28
Such a beautiful documentary, thank you very much for posting, OP. I am envious of this mans lifestyle, but understand that it came at a price and he worked hard for it. God I need to get away from civilization. Thinking about it too, if SHTF, I'm pretty sure this man won't even notice. Very beautiful.

Irish
08-03-10, 14:15
That was a great story/documentary, thanks! Lots to learn from watching it.

Renegade3745
08-03-10, 21:31
Is this available for download anywhere?

Great video, makes me miss camping in Payson/Prescott.:(

SW-Shooter
08-03-10, 23:36
Great story, kind of like a modern day Daniel Boone.

Belmont31R
08-04-10, 00:15
Pretty cool but not for me. I like New York strip steak not animal cheeks.

That was a neat trick with the rabbit. Didn't know you could skin them like that......but I must say his method of putting it down was crude. A neck snap does the same thing but is much quicker. Or even a branch over the noggin....

carshooter
08-04-10, 10:00
I watched that video for the first time last month. I enjoyed it.

chadbag
08-05-10, 01:28
My aunt married a guy in Alaska and they live out in the bush in a cabin he/they built and they live a legal subsistence lifestyle. They are not in the ANWR of course. And they have "modern" conveniences. They have a windmill and solar panel and batteries that last part of the winter. They have some small appliances, some computers, mostly small laptops that have low power draw (no internet), and firearms. They get mail every once in a while when they take the few times a year trip down river 60 miles to the nearest town of 200, or someone comes up river and drops it off for them. They drive to fairbanks once a year or so. Every 5 years they all come to visit in Utah. She comes a little more often than that.

Not my cup of tea but it does make interesting family reunions.

Nugentforoffice
08-06-10, 22:57
Very cool story!! You really have to respect those people for the work they have put into it. I loved it when he was grilling those giant steaks and the wife was pissed because he tracked mud in! Sound familiar? Very cool

GAST
08-07-10, 14:44
Awesome documentary and a serious dose of reality. The incident with their first born was tragic and unimagineable in our modern society. Very sad. Definitely a lesson for all of us in this video!

rdc0000
12-23-10, 21:56
Very good film. They did live their dream.

Eurodriver
01-24-11, 00:20
Such a beautiful documentary, thank you very much for posting, OP. I am envious of this mans lifestyle, but understand that it came at a price and he worked hard for it. God I need to get away from civilization. Thinking about it too, if SHTF, I'm pretty sure this man won't even notice. Very beautiful.

Yup. Huge disease outbreak, another Great Depression, a World War.

This guy has the ability to not even know about it, let alone be affected by it.

Travis B
01-24-11, 20:02
I do it not because I want to be a survivalist, because it's a way of life.

If anyone is serious about survival, this is a quite to live by. If you want to have the best chances in a TEOTWAWKI situation, live your life without the amenities that probably won't be around after the SHTF.

C0WB0Y
01-24-11, 20:28
That was excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Makes you wonder how much old lore will die with him.

Abraxas
01-24-11, 20:42
Very interesting.

rdbse
01-24-11, 21:46
Outstanding video. Mr. Heimo is very entertaining and he's obviously the real deal.

MeanRider
01-28-11, 10:23
Very Cool thanks for sharing

Army Chief
01-28-11, 14:32
Enjoyed that far more than I was expecting to.

AC

emt370
01-30-11, 16:57
In case no one noticed, Heimo and his wife were on the Discovery Channel show Flying Wild Alaska this past friday night. They were getting flown back to their cabin after getting supplies. Interesting to see them outside of the documentary.

Lawmaker
01-30-11, 17:29
Great video. He has some interesting theories on civilization.

He needs to get a surefire on that shotgun.

Truly sad about the little girl.

Naxet1959
01-30-11, 20:59
In case no one noticed, Heimo and his wife were on the Discovery Channel show Flying Wild Alaska this past friday night. They were getting flown back to their cabin after getting supplies. Interesting to see them outside of the documentary.

I saw that segment Friday night and that prompted me to look this up. What an interesting documentary! Thanks to the original poster!