PDA

View Full Version : 20 round Pmag issues?

99HMC4
08-03-10, 00:19
Okay, Ive come to the point that Ive used my few 20 round Pmags enough to think I might have an issue with them. I have feeding issues with my SCAR and my Novekse lower/BCM upper rifles. My AR wont load a first round 50% of the time with the 20 rounders and wont lock back about 50% of the time with them. And i had my first ever failure to feed in my SCAR the other night with a 20 rounder (had to use my charging handle as a forward assist). This ONLY happens when I use 20 round Pmags in bothe guns, never had an issue with the 30 rounders. Any ideas?

Quiet-Matt
08-03-10, 04:46
I have the exact problem with my ARs and the 20 rounder. I only have one and I save it for the bench now. This has happened with a full mag and has also happened with three rounds loaded. I thought it was just my 20 round p-mag, but apparently not.:confused:

99HMC4
08-03-10, 09:13
No, Im pretty sure its the mags. Both of my 20s do it in two different rifles. I never have issue unless I use thes mags. It sucks to cause I keep the smaller 20 round mag in my SBR for home defence but after all the issues Im having, I dont trust the 20s at all....

rljatl
08-03-10, 09:35
FWIW, I have had the same problems with 20 round Pmags. Bought a couple of new ones, but have not had a chance to try them yet.

99HMC4
08-03-10, 18:21
Well magpul? Any ideas?

ucrt
08-03-10, 18:52
I've two Noveske's that have had several 20's and a few 30's fail to lock back after the last shot. Happened enough that I don't use P-Mags. I use USGI mags only. I've read a couple of places about Noveske/P-Mag issues on locking back.

I've tried at least 35 new and used USGI mags and not a single failure. I bought a couple NHMTG 20's this past weekend to try out.

This is the reason you should test every mag in every gun before you depend on it.

I know this dooms me to a life lacking tacticoolness but ...oh well. :cray:

99HMC4
08-03-10, 19:14
I love magpul but I dont trust the 20s anymore. They are plinker only parts now. Gonna get some good metal 20s now for home use.....

MTechnik
08-03-10, 19:53
I have 4 of the 20's and they all work fine for me. 2 FDE, 1 Dark Olive, 1 Black. Never had a problem with them.

Disclaimer* - they run with safe queen upper because they work better from a bipod. They haven't been through a carbine class or anything like that.

rljatl
08-03-10, 20:37
I've two Noveske's that have had several 20's and a few 30's fail to lock back after the last shot. Happened enough that I don't use P-Mags. I use USGI mags only. I've read a couple of places about Noveske/P-Mag issues on locking back.

I've tried at least 35 new and used USGI mags and not a single failure. I bought a couple NHMTG 20's this past weekend to try out.

This is the reason you should test every mag in every gun before you depend on it.

I know this dooms me to a life lacking tacticoolness but ...oh well. :cray:

This is interesting because my lower is a Noveske. Maybe we're on to something now. Would be nice if Noveske would check into this for us and perhaps provide an aftermarket solution?

SpeedRacer
08-03-10, 20:41
The only failures I've had on any of my ARs are with PMag 20's. Only with certain ammo (Tula/Wolf) and always on the 2nd to last round failing to feed, I'd say 9/10 times. The 30s feed that ammo fine, and the 20s feed other ammo fine. It's strange...

99HMC4
08-03-10, 21:42
Well I guess its not just me....

99HMC4
08-06-10, 09:36
So is this thread just gonna die?

Quiet-Matt
08-06-10, 10:33
I've modified a green GI follower to work in the Magpu 20 rounder. I want to see if it makes a difference. I'll report back when I get it done, hopefully this weekend.

one
08-07-10, 00:47
The only problem I have experienced with the 20's is the two that I own won't lock into one of my AR's with an LMT Enhanced carrier in the gun.

Remove the LMT and replace it with a standard bolt carrier and the mags lock right in like normal. They also lock in and function fine in my other two AR's.

If that information is of interest to anyone.

NavyDavy55
08-07-10, 08:34
I have used PMAG 20 rounders in my Bushmaster and in my BCM upper with Areo Precision lower with no problems of any kind.

Quiet-Matt
08-08-10, 14:15
Well, I've been tinkering in the shop again. I took a green 30 roung GI follower and butchered it to fit in the Magpul 20 round mag to see if it changed anything.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TF758H42aOI/AAAAAAAAGSY/1cRrBpqz91g/s720/mms_picture.jpghttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TF76F9xZmiI/AAAAAAAAGSg/O3uGevas3b4/s720/mms_picture.jpg
You can see in my wonderful cell phone pictures:blink: the results. These are pictures of the test with the new follower, I was unable to make it to the range this weekend due to work, so more comparison pictures from the range will come next weekend. The new follower made the full stack level out in the mag instead of riding just slightly nose high.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TF76P2ogq9I/AAAAAAAAGSo/A64aodJ4pow/s720/mms_picture.jpg
It also seemed to apply more pressure to the bolt catch.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TF75QyoYjSI/AAAAAAAAGR4/g6E9CxJlgQE/s720/mms_picture.jpghttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TF75HYOTayI/AAAAAAAAGRw/dmMqrhvosMs/s720/mms_picture.jpg
With hand cycling, the 18th round consistantly failed to feed with the stock follower
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TF75cbUKfgI/AAAAAAAAGSA/FX1nAC4CIZg/s720/mms_picture.jpg
, and the last 2 rounds would jack in a nose up position.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TF75nuCI-TI/AAAAAAAAGSI/4RadpfpmD8A/s720/mms_picture.jpg
The new follower didn't have this problem. Will it make a difference? We'll see.

Quiet-Matt
08-14-10, 19:45
Well, the follower I made did the trick. I ran about 100 rounds through the 20 rounder with no problems at all. Stack stayed level, and the bolt locked back every time. I switched back to the original follower in the middle of the test and had the same old problems. Went back to the new one and it was GTG. Still don't trust it for home defense, but now it's a decent bench mag.:big_boss:

montrala
08-23-10, 11:07
My P-Mags 20 were not feeding in my Stag (just not feeding some 2-3 times out of the mag). I found out that followers were not always mooving freely inside tube, especially when they got slight tilt. I forcefully (bu use of wooden stick) made them go several times up and down the tube at an angle. This "mated" followers to tubes and had no problem with them since (Barnaul, Wolff, S&B, RUAG, America Eagle, Sako).

However on last mutligun match I had failure to chamber first round in my HK MR223, but I might just not work charging handle all the way - HK has strong recoil spring and I was in hurry :confused:

HoustonNFR
11-02-10, 16:16
just bought me a 20 round pmag 2 days ago. never knew this was a problem when i bought it. hope my report is a positive one.

jdub75
11-28-10, 02:44
I was having similar issues to above as well in my DD lower. I compared the mag to a 30 rounder (I have approx 2 dozen w/ no probs other than I can't keep ammo in them :)
The follower in the 20 rounder wasn't moving nearly as smoothly, so I took it out & filed it down a bit w/ the missus' nail file. Works like a champ now.

nickdrak
01-06-11, 00:23
Disregard, wrong forum!