PDA

View Full Version : Moving and Firearm Transport

csun_00
08-03-10, 08:06
My apologies I cant seem to post in the main general discussion board so I figured I would post it here. I am looking for some advice or resources about the laws and rules for traveling with firearms while you are moving from one state to another. We are moving from Florida to Texas so we do not pass through any unfriendly gun states but we do have a night stay in Louisiana. I wanted to know what would be safer leaving the weapons in the car overnight (which I am not really comfortable with), or taking them into the hotel room? Am I allowed to do so? Any advice from those of you who have traveled with firearms would be helpful, also if this is not the right place for this post please move it to the correct location.

lovetashoot
08-03-10, 08:30
I am in a similar situation. I have been doing research for transporting firearms from Idaho to SC for a move I will be making in a few months. This NRA link has good information:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

SteveL
08-03-10, 08:30
Personally I wouldn't leave them in my car overnight while I'm in a hotel. I'm guessing that your weapons will be transported in some sort of cases? I would just carry them in my hotel room with me and not say anything.

csun_00
08-03-10, 08:36
I agree Steve that is what I was thinking of doing.

LSK
08-03-10, 08:46
I would not consider a parked vehicle as being secure. Countless Federal agents have learned this the hard way while staying at hotels.

SIGguy229
08-03-10, 09:51
Couple of options I've exercised in the past...including travel to/from/through Louisiana:

1 - Take them with you into the room. I prefer to maintain positive control over all of my guns. However, if you're going to spend more that one night, that may not be a good idea, as housekeeping and maintenance have keys to the room. One of the down sides to this is someone could see what you are moving....use your best judgment.

2 - If you are hauling a trailer, pack your guns towards the front of the trailer....make them hard to get to. Use a strong lock/double lock on the trailer (if equipped).

3 - Drive straight through. Not ideal, but an option.

Iraqgunz
08-03-10, 20:11
As others have stated. Never leave your firearms locked up in your vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary. Bring what you can into the room. This can be a rather complicated issue as well if you decide to leave the room for an extended period to eat, or whatever.

As far as I know the states you are passing through have decent laws. You may want to do a little Google research.

My apologies I cant seem to post in the main general discussion board so I figured I would post it here. I am looking for some advice or resources about the laws and rules for traveling with firearms while you are moving from one state to another. We are moving from Florida to Texas so we do not pass through any unfriendly gun states but we do have a night stay in Louisiana. I wanted to know what would be safer leaving the weapons in the car overnight (which I am not really comfortable with), or taking them into the hotel room? Am I allowed to do so? Any advice from those of you who have traveled with firearms would be helpful, also if this is not the right place for this post please move it to the correct location.

SeriousStudent
08-03-10, 20:27
Please do take the firearms into the room with you. I have done this multiple times while traveling.

As far as food is concerned, I have found it's really easy to have pizza delivered to the room. Park the gun containers on the far side of the bed, so someone at the door can't see them. This is also where the guitar case, field hockey bag, etc comes in handy.

And all you have to do is just ask the front desk "Hey, we're really beat. Do you have a number for a pizza delivery service?" No need to mention weapons, just tired travelers wanting to turn in early. ;)

Belmont31R
08-03-10, 21:24
Ive travelled quite a bit with firearms....do not leave them in your car and do not leave them in the hotel room if you are leaving for a while. But that applies to anything of value. Take your GPS, cameras, phones, etc out of your car for the night, and take them with you. I always put up the do not disturb sign so maids dont come in the room anyways but I don't feel comfortable about leaving firearms in an unattended room which other people have easy access to.

If you have a CCW check concealcarry.org to see what states you can carry in.

On my recent trip I just used their luggage carts, and took the cases right in. No one said anything or looked at me funny.

As far as actually driving with the guns I just put ammo in a separate and locked container. I kept a soft case out for my CCW so I could pull over, and put it in the case when I went into a state I couldnt carry in.....

SteyrAUG
08-03-10, 23:54
Couple of options I've exercised in the past...including travel to/from/through Louisiana:

1 - Take them with you into the room. I prefer to maintain positive control over all of my guns. However, if you're going to spend more that one night, that may not be a good idea, as housekeeping and maintenance have keys to the room. One of the down sides to this is someone could see what you are moving....use your best judgment.

2 - If you are hauling a trailer, pack your guns towards the front of the trailer....make them hard to get to. Use a strong lock/double lock on the trailer (if equipped).

3 - Drive straight through. Not ideal, but an option.

And park near your room where you can SEE your stuff. Make sure you are also close enough to do something about it if you SEE people messing with your stuff. Then watch your stuff.