PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Sighting in an EOTech

Trvlngnrs
08-03-10, 08:12
I just purchased a XPS2-0 for my M&P15 MOE.

What is the preferred range to sight it in. I have read some posts that talk about using the bottom of the donut for close shots, but I'm not sure at what range they have it sighted in at? I'll probably seldom shoot past 200-300 yards.

Do you have any other tips for me concerning the XPS?

Thanks
Trvlngnrs

ForTehNguyen
08-03-10, 09:37
50 yards. If you have irons zeroed in already, you can move the reticle to match up as close you can with the irons so they cowitness. Then you can fine tune after that. At 50 yards each adjustment is 1/4"

Failure2Stop
08-03-10, 17:12
I prefer a 100 meter zero.
It makes for more consistent hold-over with longer distances between major changes in hold.
At close range (5 to 10 meters) the bottom of the circle is really close to POI.

ShipWreck
08-06-10, 10:16
I like a 50 yard zero too.

I have a cheap Bushnell laser that goes in the barrel to help with sighting in optics. I sight it in at 25 yards at about 2 inches low- then go to the range. I start at the 25 yard target and try to get the windage right.

Then, I move out to the 50 yard target and fine tune it.

Alaskapopo
08-06-10, 23:56
I prefer a 100 meter zero.
It makes for more consistent hold-over with longer distances between major changes in hold.
At close range (5 to 10 meters) the bottom of the circle is really close to POI.

Could you explain what you mean by more consistent hold overs. Sorry I am not quite understanding your meaning. Thanks. I am not against a 100 yard zero but I personally use a 200 yard one currently.
Pat

Failure2Stop
08-09-10, 10:02
http://www.box.net/shared/static/o3em2a6h22.jpg
-From Molon's frequently posted de-stupidifying memoirs.
-Molon, if my use saddens you, let me know and I will dig my own up.

Anyway, as you can see, the difference from the bottom to to the top of the trajectory path is 2.8 inches for a 100 yard, about 5 inches for a 50/200 yard zero, and about 13 inches for a 25/stupid zero. If you compare the "steepness" of the angle of trajectory between the 50 and the 100 you see that between muzzle and mid-range height the 100 meter zero is more gradual, therefore the distances between which major hold-overs change are longer.
Ex-
With a 100 meter zero, shooting at the "T-Box", hold-overs look kinda like this:
From 0 to 25 yards hold center of reticle 1.5" above eyebrow line.
From 25 to 50, hold the eyebrow line.
From 50 to 150, hold at the top of the nose.
From 150 to 200, hold just above the eyebrow line.

With a 50 meter zero, it is more broken apart:
From 0 to 15, hold 1.5" above eyebrow line.
From 15 to 35, hold the eyebrow line
From 35 to 60, hold at the top of the nose
From 60 to 200, hold the tip of the nose.

Therefore, at the distances at which fast application of high velocity metal to brain tissue is most critical (0-50), I only have to remember 2 hold-overs with a 100 meter zero, with a margin of error, whereas I have to remember 3 with the 50/200. Doesn't seem like much worry when you are reading it on a website; its a bit more pressing when you are trying to drop someone that is trying to kill you. The less shite you gotta think about, the more you can worry about things like reloading, moving, cover, communicating, etc.