PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE Gear in Multicam

C4IGrant
08-03-10, 12:19
We got some Magpul MOE items dipped in Multicam to see how they would turn out. For the most part, we are happy with them.

Because the film adds a certain amount of thickness, we decided to only do up to where the PMAG would insert into the magwell. This way we will avoid any issues with the PMAG not dropping free.

The 10,000 dollar question is, does the consumer have any interest in this stuff???

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Magpul/MOE_HG_MC.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Magpul/MOE_Stock_MC.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Magpul/Magpul_MOE_Grip_MC.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Magpul/PMAG_MC.jpg

RyanS
08-03-10, 13:37
Grant,

Would this be an option when purchasing complete lowers from you?

96 SS
08-03-10, 13:40
Same - could this be done on other items as well?

rushca01
08-03-10, 13:42
They look good, but the resemble army camo more than multi cam to me.

I would really be interested in the marine desert digitial pattern, I think Travis from Magpul is rocking this on his.

C4IGrant
08-03-10, 13:47
Grant,

Would this be an option when purchasing complete lowers from you?

Yes and could also be sold seperately.

C4

C4IGrant
08-03-10, 13:48
Same - could this be done on other items as well?

Generally, yes. We selected these Magpul items as they are popular and low in cost.

C4

C4IGrant
08-03-10, 13:50
They look good, but the resemble army camo more than multi cam to me.

I would really be interested in the marine desert digitial pattern, I think Travis from Magpul is rocking this on his.

Uhm not sure I follow. Big Army is running their digital camo, but the Tier 1 guys are running this (Multicam).

The USMC digital camo is an option, but to be honest the interest level is way less than this (Multicam).

C4

Alex V
08-03-10, 13:56
That looks awesome.

Not sure I dig the Multi-cam as shown, but if there was an option for something more subtle I could see myself getting some Magpul furniture with it.

RogerinTPA
08-03-10, 13:58
Looks cool. How durable is this finish?

C4IGrant
08-03-10, 14:03
Looks cool. How durable is this finish?

It has a flat protective coating over it. I am told by the finisher that it is very durable.

C4

jaxman7
08-03-10, 14:10
I like it Grant. How much would this finish add to the price of an ACS or CTR? Some xtm panels might look really cool dipped as well but I bet they would be very tight.

motorwerks
08-03-10, 14:17
If you had a rifle length moe handguard in that I would send you a $100.00 bill. :D

If you couldnt tell I'm pretty hard up for a Rifle length moe right about now. :fie:

Otherwise I like it a lot.

GermanSynergy
08-03-10, 14:22
Very nice, Grant.

mnoe82
08-03-10, 14:23
Yep. Looks great. Approximate pricing?

C4IGrant
08-03-10, 14:32
I like it Grant. How much would this finish add to the price of an ACS or CTR? Some xtm panels might look really cool dipped as well but I bet they would be very tight.

The cost varies depending on the size of the item. So some where around $12-$20.

C4

Palmguy
08-03-10, 14:34
Very cool.

orionz06
08-03-10, 14:39
Uhm not sure I follow. Big Army is running their digital camo, but the Tier 1 guys are running this (Multicam).

The USMC digital camo is an option, but to be honest the interest level is way less than this (Multicam).

C4

Any pics of a complete build?

ETA: Here is an idea...
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/CryePrecision.jpg

Fire
08-03-10, 14:48
MARPAT please :)

rob_s
08-03-10, 14:51
I have absolutely no interest in these, but could see where they would sell.

GAST
08-03-10, 15:00
I think it looks great. It's always nice to have options when upgrading furniture. :D

rychencop
08-03-10, 15:03
i like it. i would also like to see some digital patterns.

hikeeba
08-03-10, 15:16
The 10,000 dollar question is, does the consumer have any interest in this stuff???

My first reaction to this question was, "DERP?!?! Magpul + Multicam?!? Seriously, you need to ask?!?!?"

And then an inappropriate, colorful analogy involving a special-type person and a certain type of dessert/treat came to mind...

But then I started thinking beyond just the Magpul/Multicam combo, and more or less returned to earth. Sort of.

Magpul items + Multicam dip = No question that people would buy it. Magpul is, well, Magpul. And not that know anything about anything, but Multicam seems to be every bit as popular now that it is readily available as it was when it when Multicam goods were only available from a few manufacturers, if not more so. The fact that the Army will allegedly be shipping Multicam uniforms to units in Afghanistan this fall should further drive the pattern's popularity.

Tangent - To dip Magpul or any other brand items in Multicam, and then sell that as a complete product, is there some sort of licensing to negotiate, or are you good-to-go because the item is no longer OEM?

Multicam dip + any other items/components, regardless of brand = Yes, I think there is a market for this, but not to the point where items need to be dipped and then stocked. Perhaps I'm being to cautiouswith that notion. Offing the Multicam dip as an add-on/option on a broad range of components would be nice. Figuring out the price points for the service applied to everything from a complete rifle to a Magpul B.A.D. lever could be a headache.

As far as the camo dip process in general, I always thought it was a niche hunting market thing. But it seems that I've been reading about people trying their hand at DIY dipping lately (in the AR communities). Perhaps now is the time to jump into the Multicam-dipped (and other popular camo patterns, too) AR component market; interest is on the rise, but the process/procedure/technique scares off most DIYers.

FWIW. Again, I really don't know much about anything.

jaxman7
08-03-10, 15:30
Cool deal. Not bad on pricing. Thanks for the reply.

The cost varies depending on the size of the item. So some where around $12-$20.

C4

Stickman
08-03-10, 15:33

C4

There are some other companies doing this, so the evident answer is yes. Graphic designs as well as patterns are becoming more common, which seems to be helpful in keeping the pricing down.

When this process first came out, the prices were very high, but I think companies will find that they will do better through volume than through high prices.

pth3k
08-03-10, 15:41
MARPAT or a DESERT Version & I'm in for a couple stocks.

Ty Hoeffer
Palmyra, VA

SteveL
08-03-10, 15:44
I definitely like the multicam, but I'm not super excited about the particular items it's on. If it's available on different stocks, etc. then that would be great.

crossgun
08-03-10, 15:47
As if there already were not enough options with OD, FDE, Black Foliage and whatever else I missed. Like clothing or shoes you will never have the correct color or size. It’s a stock keeping nightmare!

Don’t get me wrong I think it’s cool and personally have many shotguns dipped in camo because it cost me nothing and ducks will not die if shot by black guns with wood. Guess maybe I am just feed up with the marketing behind this after spending twenty plus years with a large archery related manufacture as a product designer. We never could pitch the correct pattern be it Mossy Oak or Realtree or whatever fly by night pattern was hot and matched the guys underwear. See hunters have to match from head to toe to be successful even though I remember my dad and his friends killing all kinds of shit smoking cigarettes and wearing RED and Black Woolrich plaid. Now it’s the only way to be "tacticool" as well.

I am very familiar with the hydrographic process and have been to most of the larger processors. The process is very cool and very durable if done correctly and the appropriate top coat applied.

Multicam is by far the best choice based on its colors and openness.

Typically most of the patterns are reduced between 20-40% when they go to film because manufactures want the up close in your face shelf appeal on the smaller hard goods versus that of apparel.

There are numerous places that will do your entire rifle but it’s going to be pricey and as Grant mentioned you have to watch for build up in tolerances as the parts first get painted with a base color and a protective top coat.

CaptainDooley
08-03-10, 16:00
Two weeks ago I would have been all over this... then I bought a can of krylon.

I have no doubt it would sell like hot cakes, but I'm perfectly happy with my krylon and laundry bag job. May not be multicam, but I like it.

rushca01
08-03-10, 16:08

C4

I guess I wasn't clear enough, I was referring to the old army camo pre digital.

I would post a picture of the digital desert scheme but I think USMC03 has copyrighted all those and I don't want to post it. If you look through his threads with the pictures from the recent classes you will find it.

opmike
08-03-10, 17:42
Perhaps in some different coloration I'd like them, but I don't think the multicam color scheme "works" here, at least on these parts.

et2041
08-03-10, 18:12
I have absolutely no interest in these, but could see where they would sell.

Agreed, not my game. Some guys must have it, I hope the sell well.

Th3Revreant
08-03-10, 19:44
I would most definatly be interested. I was actually looking for this exact setup to add to my ar15. I just purchased my first one, so mine is bare bones without any sights, all factory parts. Ive carried and used one in the military for the past 6 years, but the gov't doesnt take to kind to this kind of modifications :)

Rated21R
08-03-10, 20:34
Not too bad. I'm not going to burn up my CC to get some. I'm still not sold on the dip process. Looks like stickers to me. I'd like to see how durable it is.

kbi
08-03-10, 21:00
It would be a neat option for those looking to make there builds different from other's.

And a low price is a plus.

danish
08-03-10, 21:06
Grant,

Do you think you could post some photos of the furniture on a rifle?? That might get me more excited...

Hoosier70
08-03-10, 21:12
Any pics of a complete build?

ETA: Here is an idea...
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/CryePrecision.jpg

!!!! SOLD !!!! Where do I sign ?

yallknowho
08-03-10, 21:21
It might be the lighting or the flash but the multicam painted moe parts pictured in the first post look too bright.

lawusmc0844
08-03-10, 22:49
I'm definitely in for MARPAT, especially woodland!

M4Fundi
08-04-10, 00:02
When I get my next AR I will buy these if available

Urabus23
08-04-10, 00:12
Looks good! I'd buy some parts for my next build.

Surf
08-04-10, 00:18
The 2 most common requested patterns that I get asked to do a are MARPAT desert #1, followed by MARPAT woodland #2.

Maybe because Travis is seen with a rifle wearing this design? I recently attempted to get into DIY hydro dipping but I got some silly reason that my region is under a proprietary agreement with the manufacturer. Guess I will go another route to get the hydro set up.

Texas Patriot
08-04-10, 00:39
I'm looking to buy a new camo outfit for hunting this year as my old stuff is a mish mash of different paterns and styles and is so faded it looks more white than anything else. I will be getting a Multi Cam set when I do buy.

The Multi Cam pattern fits in Texas, especially in the Hill Country area, but really, it fits in pretty good in all of Texas. I will seriously consider this for my AR and possibly for a Mini 14 that I have.

BigHate
08-04-10, 01:50
YES PLEASE. MORE DIGI CAMO

kmrtnsn
08-04-10, 05:45
Grant, my Multicam Recce needs a MOE grip and a couple of mags, count me in.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac347/kmrtnsn/IMG_0248.jpg?t=1280918706

jp0319
08-04-10, 08:28
It might be the lighting or the flash but the multicam painted moe parts pictured in the first post look too bright.

That was my thought exactly, the issue multicam is more muted like the picture of the M4 on the Multicam jacket.

C4IGrant
08-04-10, 11:23
Thanks for the feedback guys. Will check into the MARPAT stuff and see what options are available.

C4

Icculus
08-04-10, 12:53
My vote cast for woodland MARPAT

mpardun
08-04-10, 13:28
I'd like to see some KAC rail covers to replace my poor mans MultiCam approximation using Magpul XTM's

chadbag
08-04-10, 13:55
I'd be interested in knowing who does professional legal Multi-Cam dipping at a reasonable price for good durable results. I have some existing stuff I would be interested in getting done.

GermanSynergy
08-04-10, 14:06
I'd like to see a Flecktarn or Cadpat design...

Danny Boy
08-04-10, 14:13
I'd be interested in knowing who does professional legal Multi-Cam dipping at a reasonable price for good durable results. I have some existing stuff I would be interested in getting done.

Lakota Industries.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x51/coltm733/lakota/IMG_1086.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x51/coltm733/lakota/IMG_1074.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x51/coltm733/lakota/IMG_1088.jpg
But the Oakleys are still my favourite....
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x51/coltm733/lakota/IMG_1092.jpg

scjbash
08-04-10, 14:14

I've looking into dipping before, and this place seems to be very professional, at least from spending some time on their site. Finding customer reviews for any particular company doesn't seem to be very easy. ETA: Danny Boy just proved me wrong before I even finished typing. That looks damn good.

http://www.hydro-dip.com/pricing.htm

Multi-Cam is listed as one of their patterns.

chadbag
08-04-10, 14:15
Lakota Industries.

Do you have a website that works for them? The website links I found in some forums found through Google no longer work.

Danny Boy
08-04-10, 14:23
http://www.lakotaarchery.com/decota/decota-gallery.aspx
http://www.lakotaarchery.com/lakota/contact-lakota.aspx

The stuff in my photos is at least three years old I reckon. Some of it I still have back in the States and it still looks like it's in good shape. Plastic and metal retain it well, but not so much with rubber. They did a great job with what I sent them. Provided you strip it all down it's not that hard for them to do apparently.

dojpros
08-04-10, 15:47
The dipped Oakleys are very cool!!!

Facepuncher
08-04-10, 17:26
I looked into having my furniture dipped a while back and was scared off by the prices.

If someone could market already-dipped Magpul stuff for a reasonable price I could see that being a huge success. If the dipped parts were 150% or less of the cost of a new non-dipped Magpul part then I would be all over it.

I don't like Multicam either, but I would buy Marpat or maybe even old-school woodland camo in a heartbeat.

matt86
08-09-10, 16:15
can i order a set in multicam now?

JChops
08-09-10, 18:37
Have to agree with Lakota Industries. Ask for Susan. It is far better than any other Multicam dip I've found yet.

Also, ask for their "flat" Multicam. It removes the glossy appearance and it does not have an upcharge.

Atticus_1354
08-09-10, 22:22
I would be interested in dipped rail covers. It would be an easy way to change the appearance of the rifle depending on location.

Frntsyt
08-09-10, 23:34
Grant,
I'd be in for some...possibly a CTR as well.
How long out before you decide?
Thanks!

Magic_Salad0892
08-10-10, 03:21
If this was done to a SOPMOD stock, that would be amazing.

Told a friend about this thread. If you do this to UBRs you have a customer.

500grains
08-10-10, 07:11
I would like a multicam carbine set.

C4IGrant
08-10-10, 09:22
If this was done to a SOPMOD stock, that would be amazing.

Told a friend about this thread. If you do this to UBRs you have a customer.

We will be doing UBR's.

C4

Bobert0989
08-10-10, 12:48
Will you offer any custom options of any kind, such as the release lever on the ACS, or the small compartment in whole? Or just do the cheek-weld area, etc.?

I know it would be a lot more work, but would your guys consider custom orders (for more moolah, of course)? Could we send-in a cover for the EOTech, for example, or the LT mount for the Aimpoint? Have it all dipped in the same batch?

Just a few thoughts... I would be very interested in a digital desert job if it was offered... And +1 for the rifle-length MOE guard...lol

Magic_Salad0892
08-11-10, 02:07
We will be doing UBR's.

C4

I'll tell 'em tomorrow. You're the best. He's been talking about finding a multicam UBR since I met him.

Zeus
08-12-10, 06:33
If people are going to throw out a wish list, I'm way more interested in the A-TACS pattern camo.

http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/KRISS-with-A-TACS.jpg

Glockster35
08-15-10, 15:51
Grant,

Anything new on this? I would be interested in a set or two of these, once I settle on a camo style.

upright
04-24-11, 14:26
Necro bump, but I'm curious if this project went anywhere? Starting to kick around some ideas for my next build.

TehLlama
04-24-11, 14:53
If people are going to throw out a wish list, I'm way more interested in the A-TACS pattern camo.

I was going to consider tossing that one out there, but to me one of the favorite things about ATACS is how easily one can approximate it with some rattle can.

C4IGrant
04-25-11, 09:48
Necro bump, but I'm curious if this project went anywhere? Starting to kick around some ideas for my next build.

It didn't for awhile and then we found a source local to us and we are working with them on doing mass QTY's of items (to include guns).

C4

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-25-11, 11:27
ATACS, if that was an option I would scrounge some cash up and drop it.

theblackknight
04-25-11, 11:38
Exactly.

When ever a true desert version of atacs is out, it will set fire.

kest_01
04-25-11, 12:07
Please do tell when products are available, I wouldn't mind having some pmags that match my kit.

kermit4161
04-25-11, 21:28
I would be interested in ATACs too...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-25-11, 22:24

ATACS, if that was an option I would scrounge some cash up and drop it.

Exactly.

When ever a true desert version of atacs is out, it will set fire.

I would be interested in ATACs too...

Atacs! Atacs! Atacs!