PDA

View Full Version : DPMS a good rifle?

Th3Revreant
08-03-10, 23:10
Sorry for all the questions, just getting into the civilian sector inregards to the ar15 market. Ive heard mixed about DPMS. Good or bad experiences? I bought a DPMS sportical and need some sights, optics, anything in particular worth buying more than others?

jaxman7
08-03-10, 23:26
Try to hold off on buying anything else man and just do research, research, research. Read this:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

Also do alot of reading with the stickies at the upper part of the AR general discussion page.

Belmont31R
08-04-10, 00:34
No. You can get a Colt, Bravo Co, or DD setup for around the same price, and get a much better gun specs wise.

DPMS is for those who don't know any better. FWIW Ive run into more than a couple people over the years at the range who were having issues, and they were running a DPMS. They are targeted for the crowd who wants a an AR but has not clue about specs, doesn't shoot much, etc. I would never recommend one to anyone...

500grains
08-04-10, 01:03
Sorry for all the questions, just getting into the civilian sector inregards to the ar15 market. Ive heard mixed about DPMS. Good or bad experiences? I bought a DPMS sportical and need some sights, optics, anything in particular worth buying more than others?

Step 1: Sell that DPMS because it might as well have been made in China.

Step 2: Purchase a Noveske, Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt or LMT.

Step 3: Practice, clean, practice, clean, carbine class, clean, practice, clean, repeat.

I would add that the Sportical is the cheapest and crappiest AR15 from a company that specializes in cheap and crappy AR15s.

99HMC4
08-04-10, 01:16
DPMS is fine for a plinker. WHat are you going to do with it?

nrose8989
08-04-10, 01:38
Like other have stated, they aren't good at all.

Sure, they could be ok for an occasional plinker, but the from a value perspective, they are very poor.

Sell it and get a $999 DD if money is an issue, if not then sell it and do some research, then pick the right carbine with the options you want.

I would much rather have a plain jane iron sighted "duty" grade gun then a tricked out hobby gun.

NCPatrolAR
08-04-10, 01:49
Covered in other threads