PDA

View Full Version : ITAR and teaching people to shoot

500grains
08-04-10, 02:30
I am wondering if anyone has looked at how ITAR would affect a private individual teaching an acquaintance to shoot if the acquaintance is not a US citizen. Any feedback would be appreciated.

variablebinary
08-04-10, 02:44
You live in Utah.

There is no law in the desert. Go have fun.

However, if your friend turns into a nut and kills 50 people in Trolley Sq. then that would be on you.

Voodoochild
08-04-10, 05:12
I doubt it would be an issue as long as that person is not trying to take parts back that are regulated under ITAR. I mean you just teaching someone how to shoot ins't going to get you in trouble with the man..

Looey
08-04-10, 09:13
Well i would just be careful on who you teach how to shoot? you never know these days who is looking for training, If you know who you are teaching(friends and family) then that is another story. but for someone you don't know, i wouldn't do it.
If you are charging for your instruction? i would be specially careful. there is a lot of laws that private businesses have to follow if you are teaching foreign persons, this includes basic fundamentals and specially tactics.
just my 2 cents.

Littlelebowski
08-04-10, 09:28
For instance, avoid training Latin American citizens with large amounts of cash who want no paperwork :D

chadbag
08-04-10, 10:45
I have taken friends and former neighbors from Germany out to shoot when they were here in the US. I have taken people from the UK out who worked for the client or vendor of the company I worked for and with whom I had worked enough together with them that I considered them my friends.

I would never take out people that I did not consider friends or at least strong acquaintances and with whom I did not have prior history.

That goes for US citizens as well.