PDA

View Full Version : Black toe nails

mr_smiles
08-04-10, 05:13
So should they be pulled or left alone? I've been walking/jogging 10 or more miles a day the last few weeks to try getting back into shape. And have had a lot of blisters under my toenails. Not really anything I can do to prevent it since my run back is mostly down hill and my feet press against the walls of shoe.

So do I leave them alone and continue on, drain them or pull the nail?

Edit to add:
I've been simply draining the fluid and leaving it be, but I ask because perhaps I'm doing the wrong thing.

kmrtnsn
08-04-10, 05:37
Your shoes are too small. Get thee to a running store, not The Footlocker or Sears.

NCPatrolAR
08-12-10, 18:57
Most of my toe nails turned black and fell off after I finished the 4 Day Marches in Nijmegan, Holland. After they turned black, I left them alone and they simply fell off in the shower a few at a time. My incident was due to jungle boots and 100 miles in 4 days instead of just running.

The staff of a running store looking at your feet and how you run would probably do you a world of good.

PlatoCATM
08-12-10, 22:24
Running stores are definitely better than regular shoe stores; but they aren't perfect. My feet are aching now after just a couple recent runs and these are the second pair of shoes I have tried from a fancy, treadmill and film running store. I don't think it helps having flat feet and wearing shitty boots day in and day out though. I'm ready to see a pediatrist before my knees start hurting again.

NCPatrolAR
08-12-10, 23:00
Running stores are definitely better than regular shoe stores; but they aren't perfect. My feet are aching now after just a couple recent runs and these are the second pair of shoes I have tried from a fancy, treadmill and film running store. I don't think it helps having flat feet and wearing shitty boots day in and day out though. I'm ready to see a pediatrist before my knees start hurting again.

Sounds like you need some inserts

chuckman
08-13-10, 07:50
A couple thoughts. First, "walking/jogging 10 or more miles a day ...to try getting back in shape." If you are getting "back in shape" then you are doing too much too fast.

As for the toenails. Better socks, better shoes. Leave the nail alone. You can drain them if the presure causes too much pain, but then make sure you are keping them clean. Best to leave them be. Better shoes, better socks, change direction (not downhill all the time), see a podiatrist if you don't get better.

500grains
08-13-10, 09:52
1. Your shoes are too small.

2. Do not pull off your toe nails unless you really enjoy excruciating pain.

3. Just trim the toenail as it grows and the black will grow out.

At any time during the year at least one of my toenails is black from getting stomped on by someone else during training. It's part of life.

ADD: Don't run downhill. It will ruin your knees and back. Run as hard as you want uphill and walk downhill.

Littlelebowski
08-13-10, 09:57
Yank your insoles until you can get new shoes.

Kyle Defoor
08-13-10, 10:01
Smiles,

Along with what has already been mentioned- wearing big, cushioned elevated heel running shoes will make this problem worse. Also- how you tie laces, how tight you lace and how tight you tie will make considerable differences in downhills. I will actually stop (even in a race) at adjust my laces if need be.

Downhills should not be feared, it's a great way to make up time! check this out as well, from my blog about a year ago-
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/10/running-back-to-basics.html

There will also be some long distance running stuff (workouts, gear, etc) upcoming on my blog in response to all the interest from mil guys and here as well.

If your ever in a class, I'll help you out if it works out for both of us. I've done it for some other dudes on M4C and mil before.

the best predators are the best runners,
KD

Gutshot John
08-13-10, 10:06
From firsthand experience, if the toenail is dead the pain you feel won't be losing the nail but exposing the nail bed. It will feel weird but as long as you wear shoes it shouldn't be debilitating. I would consider bigger shoes or different insert.

One thing I would do is get some topical antifungal to rub on your nail bed until your nails grow back. Onychomycosis is a bitch to get rid of and you want to prevent that shit from taking hold. Once it sets in the cure is literally worse than the disease

Naxet1959
08-13-10, 10:41
I've had the black toenails before from marathon training. They'll go away... it is from the shoe toe box being too tight. Thinner socks might help if you have new shoes that haven't broken in yet.

Good job on the amount of training!

Cowtown44
08-19-10, 03:02
I've run two marathons in the last year. When I first started training, I got several black nails. I went to a local running store for tips. Shoes were too small. I was running in my regular size, 10.5, when I started. Now I run in 11.5, what a huge difference - no black nails.

As for the black nails, I high recommend trimming the end of the nail back so it doesn't snag or catch. Don't trim too aggressively - just a normal trim.

I run with the Superfeet green inserts because I had some arch pain. These seemed to work for me and I know many who swear by them.

I agree with others - get good shoes from the local running store, wear only synthetic socks (I exclusive wear the Balga brand) and map out a realistic program. I other product I HIGHLY recommend is Body Glide. Use it pre-run for any potential chaffing issues.

Too many miles too soon = injury city. You should increase more than 10%/week. Try www.coolrunning.com for basic programs.

theRedSkull
09-23-10, 19:52
this has happened when breaking in boots on 12milers and such, i have lost all my toenails at some point in my career, dont pull them, they will come off when they are ready, the human body is good like that.

now if it gets infected then yeah go see your medic...

fyrediver
09-25-10, 00:08
I concur with the previous posts: if there's no pain leave the nail alone. I pretty routinely smash my toenails in my rock climbing shoes or ski boots. Usually when I've been careless and forgotten to trim them all the way back to the quick. Eventually they fall off without any intervention or pain.

However, if there's continuing pressure (usually the nail is obviously swelling at this point) and pain under the nail it's easy to relieve it.
Typically this is what happens when a toe is truly crushed like dropping a can on it, not from short shoes etc.

Disclaimer: see your medic or Dr if you can to ensure sterile conditions etc, etc. . . . This is a field first aid technique that I've used on myself and a few of my crew.

To relieve the pressure under the nail simply heat a straightened paper clip to red hot and GENTLY touch the nail until it JUST melts through. Be prepared for a spurt of blood when it does. This will relieve the pressure and allow it to heal. Keep it very clean.

Do not put ANY pressure on the red hot implement or you may overshoot into the raw cuticle. If that happens you'll know about it a millisecond before everyone in hearing does!

See your medic or Doctor when you can.

Iraqgunz
09-25-10, 05:55
I still get flashbacks of Nijmegan when I go on long hikes. :D

Most of my toe nails turned black and fell off after I finished the 4 Day Marches in Nijmegan, Holland. After they turned black, I left them alone and they simply fell off in the shower a few at a time. My incident was due to jungle boots and 100 miles in 4 days instead of just running.

The staff of a running store looking at your feet and how you run would probably do you a world of good.

platoonDaddy
09-25-10, 07:08
As previously stated your shoes might be too small, but think about this: it could be melanoma. Yes, it probably isn't but one never knows.

I had a finger nail that was black and finally went to visit a doctor who sent me off to a dermatologist. Big as shit it was cancer resulting in MOHS surgery and a good chunk of my finger 'tip' is gone.