PDA

View Full Version : Barrel break-in - When is it relevant?

Gutshot John
08-04-10, 12:30
I know it's a bigger deal for precision shooters but I'm curious as to the results achieved and where people might draw the line between doing it and not doing it.

Where is the harm in not doing it?

Any particular method for breaking in?

Thanks,
GSJ.

dbrowne1
08-04-10, 12:48

Artos
08-04-10, 12:58
many of the top benchrest shooters are not messing with the break in period any longer...their opinion is the tube will shoot or it wont. Honestly, how can breaking in a bbl that has been hand lapped & inspected get better by clean & shoot.

This topic always gets heated for some stupid reason...if you sleep better by breaking in, go for it but don't tell those in the know it will turn a 5moa gun into a bughole gun.

The best thing you can do to keep your bbl shooting is get a good bore guide like the Lucas. Improper cleaning has ruined more good bbls than the break in has ever helped.

Business_Casual
08-04-10, 13:01
IMO, it is witchcraft and superstition.

B_C

GermanSynergy
08-04-10, 13:14
On a chrome lined barrel I never do it. I take it to the range and shoot the hell out of it.

Belmont31R
08-04-10, 13:23
Ive never done it. I just go out and shoot.

And everyone has their own opinions on how to do it. Some are the shoot one shot, and clean it (repeating this 25 times). I guess Im too lazy to do that, and Ive never noticed a lack of accuracy from the guns that supposedly would benefit from it. Key word supposedly. Ive been able to shoot sub MOA groups out of every SS barreled upper Ive had, and all I ever do is clean when new, and then go shoot em...:cool:

Besides when you at least buy an upper it should have been test fired including HPT so you are not getting a fresh barrel anyways. With a CL barrel that chrome is significantly harder that the copper found in bullet jackets, and even steel in non-chromed barrels. 25 rounds or 50 rounds can't possibly "smooth out" the much much harder surfaces to make a significant impact. It takes thousands of rounds with super heated gases just to cause throat erosion under normal use.

RogerinTPA
08-04-10, 21:26
Google barrel break in, you will find it is a myth that was started by a precision barrel maker, to get the user to wear out the barrel faster through, over cleaning and to sell more barrels.

As far as ARs are concerned, its more of a proving of the weapon for over all reliability. Selection in a quality AR, to the left of the chart, has a major impact on reliability, for many years of use and for surviving a 1500 round 3 day carbean course.

John Hearne
08-04-10, 23:10
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I was told that it was up in the air whether break-in affected accuracy. I was told that most folks agreed that a controlled break-in would affect how quickly the barrel fouled with copper. Is this right for non-chrome lined barrels?

Cincinnatus
08-05-10, 13:09
There's a real good response by Failure to Stop on this thread:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37279