PDA

View Full Version : Is there any advantage to getting a hammer-forged barrel?

maximus83
08-04-10, 13:00
I'm about to take the plunge on a BCM 16" middy, and am trying to decide between the pencil (LW) barrel, versus the hammer-forged (HF).

I realize that the trend here on M4c lately has been pencil barrels to cut weight. But I'm wondering if, aside from the weight advantages (for LW barrels) or safety advantages (for HF barrels), there are any other shooting related reasons why either type of barrel profile is preferable. This middy will be for defensive use, and outdoor/range recreational shooting, not primarily for hunting or match use. But I would still prefer something that can retain very good accuracy during extended semiauto strings. Years ago I owned a Ruger Mini-14, and I never want to go back to that kind of performance (it was 2.5 MOA which was not bad when cold, but you'd get shotgun-like patterns a 5" to 6" or more groups after the standard-size barrel heated up. I hear the heavy barreled target model does better).

What I wonder specifically, is whether there's any worthwhile advantage to going with a hammer-forged barrel over a lightweight one, in the BCM builds? For example: will the HF barrel be "stiffer" and therefore able to resist barrel whip longer as you fire extended strings, meaning that it would retain greater accuracy in firefight conditions? Or is there no major difference between them in this regard?

I don't really have any way to test this question, since I'd have to own or acquire AR's with similar profiles and each barrel profile to really test them accurately. Hoping that some here who work in shops or have owned both types will have an idea.

Icculus
08-04-10, 13:43
Not exactly the same as your question but maybe this helps

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59403

mtdawg169
08-04-10, 15:20
I'm about to take the plunge on a BCM 16" middy, and am trying to decide between the pencil (LW) barrel, versus the hammer-forged (HF).

I realize that the trend here on M4c lately has been pencil barrels to cut weight. But I'm wondering if, aside from the weight advantages (for LW barrels) or safety advantages (for HF barrels), there are any other shooting related reasons why either type of barrel profile is preferable. This middy will be for defensive use, and outdoor/range recreational shooting, not primarily for hunting or match use. But I would still prefer something that can retain very good accuracy during extended semiauto strings. Years ago I owned a Ruger Mini-14, and I never want to go back to that kind of performance (it was 2.5 MOA which was not bad when cold, but you'd get shotgun-like patterns a 5" to 6" or more groups after the standard-size barrel heated up. I hear the heavy barreled target model does better).

What I wonder specifically, is whether there's any worthwhile advantage to going with a hammer-forged barrel over a lightweight one, in the BCM builds? For example: will the HF barrel be "stiffer" and therefore able to resist barrel whip longer as you fire extended strings, meaning that it would retain greater accuracy in firefight conditions? Or is there no major difference between them in this regard?

I don't really have any way to test this question, since I'd have to own or acquire AR's with similar profiles and each barrel profile to really test them accurately. Hoping that some here who work in shops or have owned both types will have an idea.

The BCM barrels in all varieties seem to exhibit very good accuracy for chrome lined, mil-spec barrels and I think you would have a hard time distinguishing between them in that regard. However, HF barrels should have a longer lifespan, assuming that your firing schedule isn't abusive. For the roughly extra $100 in cost, you're essentially buying your next standard barrel up front. Based on your question and avoiding the whole lightweight vs. govt profile debate, durability is really the only thing a HF barrel provides over a standard barrel. Under normal circumstances, a standard barrel could last 10-15K rounds before groups begin to open up from being "shot out" due to throat erosion and you could probably still get 2-3 MOA even then. Considering that you're talking about $3,000 - $5,000 worth of ammo, the cost of replacing a barrel is even less of a factor. I would opt for the HF barrel if I had the option, but would not place the importance of that over getting an upper in the configuration I wanted. For example, BCM's new 14.5 middie isn't available in a BFH model yet. If I were in the market for an upper and that configuration was what I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. It just depends on what you're looking for overall. If HF is an option, then I would recommend it, just not at the expense of buying a configuration that you might be less than satisfied with.

maximus83
08-04-10, 15:28
OK, the longer lifespan of the HF barrels seems like a good point.

When it comes to extended firing, do the LW "pencil" barrels have more issues with barrel whip (and thus accuracy) when they start to heat up? Or, is there no significant difference in this area?

mtdawg169
08-04-10, 15:44
Sorry, I don't have enough experience with pencil barrels to answer that for you. There has been alot of chatter here lately about pencil builds, so I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here who could tell you though.

Jay Cunningham
08-04-10, 15:56
As was mentioned, there's already a running thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59403