PDA

View Full Version : 16" Midlength options

Neeglik
07-27-06, 13:08
What are my options for a good quality upper? I don't need a Noveske-ish custom barrel. A standard lightweight barrel is fine.

From what I've seen I have CMMG, BCM, and RRA to choose from. Are they all good to go? Should I stay away from any of them or consider other options? Oh, I do want chrome-lined and 1:7 twist, so that may limit me some.

Thanks...

M4arc
07-27-06, 13:40
One opinion you didn't mention was the Sabre Defence mid-length barrel. It's 4150, 1:7 twist, M4 extentions, gov't profile, F FSB, etc, etc, etc. I have one and I've been EXTREMELY pleased with it. There's a picture of it in the mid-length picture thread if you're interested.

Mine has been 100% relieable, granted every other part on that gun is CMT, more accurate than I am an excellent balance and the smoothest cycle of any of my carbines.

That said, when I build another middy I'm using one of Paul's BCM uppers. Those things are the cat's meow and Paul's attention to detail is second to none. I think Loknlod still has one for sale here on the boards so you might be able to scoop it up and have it by next weekend!

Neeglik
07-27-06, 14:05
I have my eye on Lok's. Just waiting on the paychecks to roll in. Otherwise, it looks like buying directly from BCM will be a bit of a wait.

Yojimbo
07-27-06, 14:29
I'm with M4arc, I also have a Sabre mid-length barrel and it's everything he mentioned but for my next mid-length I will also get a BCM barrel.

I also used all CMT parts for my mid-length's upper and put it on a LMT/Lauer lower.

If you don't want to wait on the BCM I'd definitely go with the Sabre barrel.

9DivDoc
07-27-06, 19:06
The BCMs are the way to go....

I've got a couple of them....and for the money....

They are the best thing going....and the best kept secret...

though word is getting out there...

Paul's attention to detail and committment to excellence....are un-paralled

If you can hang in there till the next batch are done....it will be well worth
the wait...

imo

rob_s
07-28-06, 13:01
I would choose the Bravo Company USA if I had to choose today. I'm interested to see the new CMMG lightweight midlength with true F FSB that's supposed to be lurking.

Gamma68
07-28-06, 13:14
I haven't seen anyone that makes a lightweight midlength 16" barrel, and CMMG said they won't have them for a while (they have other lightweights in the works though). Someone needs to step up to the plate with a quality line up of lightweight profile barrels (midweights too for that matter).

Neeglik
07-28-06, 15:27
Forgive my ignorance, but the BCM gov't profile barrel on their midlength is not lightweight??

Hoplophile
07-28-06, 22:24
Forgive my ignorance, but the BCM gov't profile barrel on their midlength is not lightweight??

A "lightweight" or "pencil" barrel generally refers a barrel that is like the original M16/M16A1 barrels that are thin both in front and behind the gas block, and normally use a front sight base and hadnguard cap that is .6--" instead of the usual .750"

Govt profile usually refers to barrel more like the M16A2 and M16A4 that use a .750" gas block, are roughly .70 in front of the gas block and thinner under the handguards.

Mid profile are usually a .750 gas block, the same .7-something out front as the govt profile and then also .7-something under the hanguards.

HBAR look the same as govt profile outside the handguards but the area under the hanguards is close to 1"

Bull barrels are very heavy for their whole length and will use a larger gas block.

Sometimes there is confusion about the terminology. Guys who started with M16/ARs back in the '60s or '70s will often call the govt profile a "heavy barrel" because it is heavy compared to what they started with. This is especially noticable with guys who were in teh military in teh 80s when the heavier A2 was adopted. Guys who started with civvy ARs in the 90s when Bushmaster and everybody else used HBAR on everything will often call a govt profile lightweight because again, it's light compared to what they started with.

The BCM barrels are a "govt." profile.

Neeglik
07-29-06, 07:54
Thanks Hop, that was very informative.

9DivDoc
07-29-06, 22:12
Got a BCM middie that I sent off to AR15 barrels (Randall Rausch)
machined down to .625 diameter 14.7 overall length.. wears a LaRue Tact .625 gas block and LRT 12.0 forearm....and it's bird cage is permanently attached..

A lt wt BCM ala Randall Rausch