PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between SGL21 and SLR-107F?

Entropy
08-04-10, 21:10
So I've had a couple of Romainian AKs in the past, and they were okay rifles. It's been over 10 years and I'm getting the AK bug again. I'm looking for a higher end AK-47 quality wise, and from my readings here it looks like Arsenal's offerings are where I should be looking.

So I understand that Saiga is Russian, and the SLR is Bulgarian. What are the differences? Is one better than the other? The SLR is slightly more expensive.....does that mean it is a little better quality?

Lastly, Is there any measurable advantage to getting a milled receiver? I've read of a slight accuracy improvement, but is it worth double the price?

armakraut
08-04-10, 22:10
No difference in function between milled and stamped.

SLR-107F has a folding polymer stock, I'd get that one. The side folders have a slight negative pitch like the old fixed stock milled AK's and chicoms, which I like much better than the fixed AKM/AK-74 stocks which are pretty much straight at the buttplate.

ChicagoTex
08-05-10, 01:33
SGL = Russian
SLR = Bulgarian

TOrrock
08-05-10, 06:35
What Armakraut said.

Also, read through these....

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30850

96 SS
08-05-10, 07:32
Personally I think that the poly side folder stocks are worth their weight in gold- get the SLR.

There are some very minor pattern differences between Russian and Bulgarian AK's - but Bulgy AK's are some of the best built and finished AK's around IMHO. Some of the latest Arsenal builds have had issues with canted sights - so be mindful of that, and certain newer paint finishes have been terrible and run with gun solvent.

deadduck357
08-05-10, 18:42
They are both fine AK's. Like said before SLR=Bulgarian+side-folder & SGL=Russian+fixed stock. I liked both so I got both, both have been great.

titsonritz
08-05-10, 21:19
Personally I think that the poly side folder stocks are worth their weight in gold- get the SLR.
Definitely

ChicagoTex
08-05-10, 21:26
Sorry for the drive-by post earlier. I was in a hurry and didn't bother to read the text of the OP (I almost always do), you already knew their countries or origin.

In the realm of more constructive help. the SGLs are the only way to go for me because a Warsaw Pact length stock (which all the folders are) is way too short. If you had no issue with the length of pull on your old Romanian (which almost certainly had a WP length stock) you should be fine with the folder (which certainly takes the cake for cool factor) but if it wasn't comfortable for you the SGL is available with a NATO length stock, which works much better for 6'5" types like myself.

Entropy
08-05-10, 22:19
Some of the latest Arsenal builds have had issues with canted sights - so be mindful of that, and certain newer paint finishes have been terrible and run with gun solvent.

I'll probably find one in a shop then and examine it thoroughly before I buy it. I want 7.62 for better ammo availability, and just to be more different from my ARs.

Any recommendation on what solvents that I should NOT use? I plan to mostly shoot steel cased, lacquer coated ammo out of it, so I'll definately be doing a lot of cleaning.

I don't think I want the NATO stock. I'm 6'0 and like to shoot with a shorter LOP.

96 SS
08-05-10, 23:13
I'm not sure. My 105 is coated in poly not painted- sorry.

DaBears_85
08-05-10, 23:32
Any recommendation on what solvents that I should NOT use

Brake cleaner comes to mind. It's an excellent solvent/de-greaser to use, just make absolutley sure you don't get any on the exterior of the weapon. That is, unless you don't care about the finish.

In both of my Arsenal manuals they say they used Break-Free CLP on the weapons during testing and that it's the only CLP they can guarantee won't affect the finish. I've just always stuck with Break-Free for that reason. Well, that and the fact that I can get it for free.

I don't think I want the NATO stock. I'm 6'0 and like to shoot with a shorter LOP.

You definately don't. Unless you're Tex's size. I have an intermediate length buttstock on my SA M-7R which is 10", and I feel it's still a little too long. Warsaw-length (9.25") is definately the way to go if you can help it. I'm 6'0 by the way.