PDA

View Full Version : .22lr conversion wearing out barrel

cdj588
08-04-10, 21:58
Im about to jump into a .22lr convserion kit but before I did I was curious if shooting the .22lr will have any effects on the barrel like wearing it out faster, or effect the rifling in someway? I read that chrome lined barrels are really only good for about 10-20k rounds.

Also, will it effect any other compoents of the rifle?

Avenger29
08-04-10, 22:04
.22 rounds are very, very easy on barrels. they aren't going to cause additional wear or have the same impact on bbl life as .223 rounds.

kalikraven
08-05-10, 01:13
I have heard reports of leading up the gas tube but others have said that it clears up after a few shots of 5.56.

moose01
08-05-10, 08:45
I have heard reports of leading up the gas tube but others have said that it clears up after a few shots of 5.56.

Yep. I've put several thousand rounds down one AR alone using a .22 kit, and the gas port and receiver are the biggest things to keep clean. I've went over a thousand rounds using .22lr without blowing out the port, and when I fired the first round of .223, it didn't have the oomph to eject the spent brass. That round must have cleaned the port, because mag after mag functioned fine after that.

Generally, after shooting a brick of .22lr down mine, I remove the .22 converison unit, wipe out the receiver, run a snake down the barrel, then fire 4 or 5 rounds of .223. When I get home, I clean it as normal.

If for whatever reason I didn't run a few rounds of .223 down it when I was done, then I shoot some compressed air down the gas tube after running a pipe cleaner through it. I may be a bit anal though.

Other than ensuring the gas port is clear and wiping the crud out of the receiver, your cleaning routine won't be any different than with .223. I haven't had any lead fouling issues with a 1:7 barrel, and a .22lr is easy on barrels (especially chrome-lined barrels).

JSTICFRALL
08-05-10, 08:58
Not to mention that as long as you're shooting copper jacketed ammo you should be fine as well. I know I've seen some non-jacketed 22 before and that's the stuff I'd stay away from. After shooting my friend's Bushy with a CMMG conversion in it, buying a kit is totally worth it. You can shoot all day for under $20!

jmp45
08-05-10, 09:05
Thanks for this info guys... I've been thinking about this also. Just not sure which conversion kit would be better, spikes or cmmg.

JSTICFRALL
08-05-10, 09:16
I'd go with the one from Spikes. It's $50 more but the nickel coating and the addition of the O rings helps out a lot (from what I've read). A lot of people say the CMMG kit runs best sopping wet but I'm sure the coating on the Spikes unit helps a lot with keeping things running smoothly.

jmp45
08-05-10, 10:28
Thanks, I was leaning towards the Spikes because of the O rings. I'm also wondering if I'll need to change zero on my red dot, I'm hoping not.

LCoan
08-05-10, 10:35
You don't from what i've heard, but i'd stick with the Handle Sight for the Spike's. That's what I use.

austinN4
08-05-10, 10:35
I'd go with the one from Spikes. It's $50 more but the nickel coating and the addition of the O rings helps out a lot (from what I've read). A lot of people say the CMMG kit runs best sopping wet but I'm sure the coating on the Spikes unit helps a lot with keeping things running smoothly.
I just put another 550 round bulk pack of Federal #750 thru my CMMG conversion with no failures to feed, fire or extract, which has also been the case for the precceding 3,000 rounds. Buy the CMMG and put the extra $50 into Federal #750 bulk packs from Walmart.

My Aimpoint Mirco is zeroed at 50 yards with 5.56 and I have to aim about 3 inches high at 25 feet with 22LR. Don't rezero your RDS, just find out where the 22LR shoots and make the adjustment in your head. A 22LR conversion in an AR is not a precision rig.

Also, there are tons of threads on the subject of conversions already. Lots of good info in them also:
http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Edited to add: And I don't run it sloppy wet either. I think this would lead to problems. I just give it a wipe down and a very, very light coat of oil after shooting. I do remove the bolt from the rails every couple of thousand rounds, clean the rails and groves well and put a very thin coat of Slide Glide on them.

5shot
08-05-10, 10:36
I went with a dedicated upper from Tac-Sol, and it is awesome.

Try the Federal Bulk Pack - I shot a whole brick and when I patched out the barrel the patch came out damn near white. The Federal doesn't have a waxy coating and the bullet has a copper wash on it. they seem to be very clean shooting and I have never had a malfunction with those rounds.

austinN4
08-05-10, 10:49
Try the Federal Bulk Pack - I shot a whole brick and when I patched out the barrel the patch came out damn near white. The Federal doesn't have a waxy coating and the bullet has a copper wash on it. they seem to be very clean shooting and I have never had a malfunction with those rounds.
Very clean indeed. The conversion bolt, chamber and chamber guide get a little dirty, but nothing major. I have put the CMMG away dirty after a bulk pack, only to have it function 100% thru another bulk pack next time out without any cleaning or additional lube.

moose01
08-05-10, 12:26
I'm in the 3,000+ round CMMG camp too, but to each his own on that one. And yeah, the Federal Bulk Pack seems to be the cleanest, most reliable, and most accurate.

As far as zero, I just leave mine alone. For punching torso sized cardboard out to 75 yards, it's fine. You can still drill a clay pigeon at 25+ without changing it, too.

Just for "gee-whiz", I did bench it and fiddle with the elevation on the FSP one day, and I had to come up around 4 clicks to go from a 50yd zero with M855 to a 25 yard zero with the .22lr Federal. Not worth messing with for plinking.

cdj588
08-05-10, 14:24
how does the .22lr perform with a 1:9 twist? thats what my S&W has.

cdj588
08-05-10, 14:37
how does the .22lr perform with a 1:9 twist?

and

Is there a need for O-rings like the Spikes conversion has? Their description of why their bolt has O-rings makes it sound as if the CMMG bolt rolls around in the receiver when you shoot it.

"Some unique features not found in any other current conversion kits include: O rings on the chamber adapter to keep the bolt centered in the .223 or 5.56 chamber and to increase the back pressure by sealing the adapter and not allowing so much carbon and gases to blow back"

moose01
08-05-10, 15:28
how does the .22lr perform with a 1:9 twist?

and

Is there a need for O-rings like the Spikes conversion has? Their description of why their bolt has O-rings makes it sound as if the CMMG bolt rolls around in the receiver when you shoot it.

"Some unique features not found in any other current conversion kits include: O rings on the chamber adapter to keep the bolt centered in the .223 or 5.56 chamber and to increase the back pressure by sealing the adapter and not allowing so much carbon and gases to blow back"

I can't tell a difference between 1:7 and 1:9 barrels, and I'm not sure about the Spike's O-rings. I haven't had an issue after thousands of rounds through my CMMG kit (and the others I shoot with that own one), and I know a couple people that have 9,000-10,000 rounds with the Ceiner and CMMG kit without an issue. So...it's your call.

I figured for the $150 I spent, it was worth finding out the hard way. Luckily, everything works great and it's the smartest firearm purchase I've ever made.

DialTone301
08-05-10, 15:35
I have the Spike's and am shooting the federal 550 pack in a 1:9 RRA barrel/upper. I usually shoot out to about 50 yards and it is as accurate as I am. I haven't tried it in a 1:7 yet.

Had some problems with double feeds this weekend but it appears to be mag related. I believe I have isolated the bad mag and will play some more this weekend.

austinN4
08-05-10, 17:18
Their description of why their bolt has O-rings makes it sound as if the CMMG bolt rolls around in the receiver when you shoot it.
Not sure how you get that from their description as they are talkin about the chamber adapter, not the bolt. The bolt is locked into rails and would have a very hard time rolling around.

FYI, the chamber adapter itself is what keeps it centered in the chamber. It is shaped like a 5.56 shell case and fits in the chamber.

As to the O rings - I have over 3,500 trouble free (zero failures to feed, fire or eject) rounds thru my CMMG, why would I need an O ring? What would it improve for me?

mike_556
08-05-10, 17:24
I have a Spike's bolt--going to either sell it or return it again to mfg--the o-rings are for keeping the chamber adapter clean firing 22s--it does make a huge difference versus CMMG or ciener...nothing to do I think with loose fitting--although it helps a little I guess...my son scrubbed off both viton o-rings and it was a PITA to get replacement orings--as far as the bbl?? 22lr wont do anything to it

Toonces
08-05-10, 22:17
Not to mention that as long as you're shooting copper jacketed ammo you should be fine as well. I know I've seen some non-jacketed 22 before and that's the stuff I'd stay away from. After shooting my friend's Bushy with a CMMG conversion in it, buying a kit is totally worth it. You can shoot all day for under $20!

There is no such thing as copper jacketed .22 LR ammunition. Or, if there is, it's going to be rare and expensive. As 5shot mentioned, there is ammunition that has a copper wash, but that is nothing like a jacket. The copper wash is so thin you can scrape it off with your fingernail. I'm not trying to be a dick, but terminology matters.

mryote
08-05-10, 22:19
The tolerance in for example the target master units was .001 and using high velocity ammo the round will not effect the barrel. I recommend taking the gas tube out or tape on it when using for a period of 500 rds or more. Then 5 rds 5.56 to clean rifling should be OK. I shot 3200 CCI stingers through my 16" 1/9 w/O cleaning the conversion or inside the upper receiver or barrel and did not have one problem.

AS far as what unit to go with the Target Master has the best warranty and is designed to work in piston AR-15's by removing the rod.Would recommend the rear YHM take down extended pin just for the ease of breaking down shotgun style in the field if you have a real tight setup or no take down tool. Remington 500 pack of the 32 gr copper jacket HP will not cycle in any conversions, the fps needs to be over 1000 to never have any problems especially ejector issues. I was a distributor For 4 Months so i got to see what they will really do. 60 Rockwell Harding.