PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade reccomendations

RD62
06-22-07, 16:53
Hey guys,

I'll be getting a bonus in a couple weeks and will be looking to do some upgrades to my 1911 and RRA Middy. For the RRA I'm gonna send the barrel to ADCO to have it lightened under the handguards for better balance. New Vicker's sling. And I'm also thinking of swapping in a Mil-Spec buffer tube and CTR stock, and a MP tested BCG. I've checked the staking on my original gas key and it was just ok, so I staked it a little better, and I added one of Denny's extractor upgrade kits. I have had zero problems so far and will keep the original bolt as a backup. I'm just trying to maximize reliability and durability. I've decided on the buffer tube, but not the BCG. What the best going now? The LMT or CMT? The FN ones that Grant has? Colt? Source? Thanks for the help guys!

-RD62

RD62
06-23-07, 19:57
After continuing to look, I thik I'm gonna go with a Bravo Co BCG, unless someone has reason to reccomend another over this one.

-RD62

GunLovinTexan
06-23-07, 21:43
Honestly go with the FN ones grant has. They use aircraft grade torx screws and tightend and staked to true Mil-Spec. Also torx screws are much stronger then allen heads.

that being said I use CMT and LMT, I havnt had a chance to run an FN carrier.

Grant is a honorable and now one of my favorite dealers. Both my dad and I order from him first now.

Rob.

RD62
06-24-07, 07:30
Thanks for the info. I really considered the FN, also the LMT or CMT. I'd love a COLT but they are just too proud of 'em. I found them through SAW or Brownells but man are they $$$. I found the Bravo Co one last night. For $130 it is MPI, shot peened, has a chrome lined auto carrier and key, grade 8 fasteners, is mil-spec staked, and comes with the Crane O-Ring, black insert, and a Bravo Co extractor spring. I can't think of any more it should have and seems like a good deal!

-RD62

9x19
06-24-07, 09:23
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Bravo Co BCG or the FN Contracted bolts that Grant has. Both are high quality.

AR-15A3
06-24-07, 10:01
All the ones already mentioned are pretty good.

For a BCG ready to go LMT got all the good features, O-ring, MPI, shot peened, test fired each and every one.

Denny of Global Tactical have some hand built CMT BCG with upgraded extractor kit which he calls "Super Duty Bolt Carrier Group".

I'm using Colt and LMT BCGs on my carbines with Bravo Co. extractor upgrade kits except I'm not using the O-ring for now (maybe later on), mine are working fine without it.

RD62
06-24-07, 12:22
I've considered the Super Duty BCG that Denny has. I've bought several items from him and have been very happy with all of them. I'm sure his BCG are GTG, I just don't know if there's a $30 difference. Maybe there is, I don't know. Thats why I'm here for the education. :D I've read (here I think) of LMT over torquing some things, don't remember if gas key bolts were one of them. I'm sure they are GTG too, and I hope to pickup one of their 10.5 uppers one day. Thier BCGs are priced about the same as the bravo unit too. It's starting to look like about a toss up between the 3 mentioned here with price being the deciding factor. Thanks for the replies so far! If anyone else has any info that may give the nod to one over another please share! For now I'm still leaning toward the Bravo BCG.

Thanks!

-RD62

GunLovinTexan
06-24-07, 16:34
Honestly there is nothing wrong with BCM BCG's I dont personally own one but serveral trusted friends who run there AR's hard have used them in the past and been very pleased..

Right now im trying out the Enhanced BCG from LMT, I cant say I see much of a diffrence so far. It didnt jam before and it doesnt jam now, However I only have 330 on it so far where as I have several thousend on the CMT bolt.

You honestly cant go wrong with any of the three. I prefer LMT over CMT though, CMT scratches off the finish to put MP on and LMT stamps it on. (notice how stupid the reason is???) Other then that they are on par with eachother.

Are BCM made out of 158 carpenter steel???? thats the only other thing I can think of to question

Rob

RD62
06-24-07, 21:53
Are BCM made out of 158 carpenter steel???? thats the only other thing I can think of to question

Rob

Hmmm... Don't know. Anyone else know??? I'll try and drop em an email and let you know what I find out.

I assume from your post that the LMT and CMT are made from 158 Carpenter?

I must say though I'm not up to speed on the different steels, so I don't know I'd know what they were talking about if they told me.

-RD62

GunLovinTexan
06-25-07, 00:52
Post it here and someone will tell us. I dont know for sure on the LMT CMT steels but am for sure on the FN steels. ID be curiouse as to what the LMT enhanced is made out of too.

Rob

RD62
06-25-07, 10:53
I emailed Bravo company last night at 9:47PM with this message:

>Not sure if this is the proper channel for this, but here goes. I am very interested in one of your Full Auto Bolt Carrier Groups. I see a lot of info listed about them on your site, but I don't see what steel they are made from. >Can you please let me know? So far it is everything I'm looking for!

I received this reply this morning at 7:24AM:

>Made from #158 steel

I guess that answers that. And that's a pretty impressive response time. That 7:24 was EST my time, and they are in WI. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but if that is any indication of their customer service, I'll be buying a bunch from them in the future! :D

-RD62

TacDoc
06-27-07, 10:02
Bravo Co. customer service is AWESOME and their products are top quality. I have 3 m16 BCG, 1 FSB and a few other BCM items and are PREMIUM quality, nothing to envy Colt or LMT. Gas keys are correctly stalked on the bolt carriers.

I tried a friend's new BCM upper the day he received it and its trully a blaster! Not a single issue with several kinds of ammo (commercial and milspec) including Wolf.

I will definitely buy again from them... The only drawback its they dont carry the Larue Tactical line of products... :(

C4IGrant
06-27-07, 10:54
Honestly there is nothing wrong with BCM BCG's I dont personally own one but serveral trusted friends who run there AR's hard have used them in the past and been very pleased..

Right now im trying out the Enhanced BCG from LMT, I cant say I see much of a diffrence so far. It didnt jam before and it doesnt jam now, However I only have 330 on it so far where as I have several thousend on the CMT bolt.

You honestly cant go wrong with any of the three. I prefer LMT over CMT though, CMT scratches off the finish to put MP on and LMT stamps it on. (notice how stupid the reason is???) Other then that they are on par with eachother.

Rob

BCM's BCG's are excellent and is why we stock them. LMT's are great as well and am also fond of the FN ones we build.

C4

RD62
06-27-07, 11:51
BCM's BCG's are excellent and is why we stock them. LMT's are great as well and am also fond of the FN ones we build.

C4

Grant,

I don't see the BCM BCG's on your web site. Are these something you keep in stock?

-RD62

C4IGrant
06-27-07, 11:59
Grant,

I don't see the BCM BCG's on your web site. Are these something you keep in stock?

-RD62

Look again. ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BCOM

C4

RD62
06-27-07, 13:12
Look again. ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BCOM

C4

Hey... That wasn't there a second ago!

-RD62

C4IGrant
06-27-07, 16:25
Hey... That wasn't there a second ago!

-RD62

Its like magic huh! :D

C4

RD62
06-27-07, 21:38
Its like magic huh! :D

C4

:eek:

You're like David freakin Copperfield!

Except with your slight of hand an item magically pops up on your web site and cash dissapears from my wallet, and mystically reapears in your bank account!

I hear it's all smoke and mirrors, but I still can't figure out how you do it! :D

-RD62

C4IGrant
06-28-07, 07:53
:eek:

You're like David freakin Copperfield!

Except with your slight of hand an item magically pops up on your web site and cash dissapears from my wallet, and mystically reapears in your bank account!

I hear it's all smoke and mirrors, but I still can't figure out how you do it! :D

-RD62

And then the wife "magically" finds the money in her purse. :eek:

C4

RD62
06-28-07, 14:51
Roger that!

-RD62

dialM4murder
06-29-07, 09:03
Thanks for the info. I really considered the FN, also the LMT or CMT. I'd love a COLT but they are just too proud of 'em. I found them through SAW or Brownells but man are they $$$. I found the Bravo Co one last night. For $130 it is MPI, shot peened, has a chrome lined auto carrier and key, grade 8 fasteners, is mil-spec staked, and comes with the Crane O-Ring, black insert, and a Bravo Co extractor spring. I can't think of any more it should have and seems like a good deal!

-RD62

The site only shows the "auto" version. I assume its still compatible with a "semi" set up?

C4IGrant
06-29-07, 09:20
The site only shows the "auto" version. I assume its still compatible with a "semi" set up?

Why would you want a Semi version? FA BCG's are 100% legal in Ohio.

C4

dialM4murder
06-29-07, 09:36
Why would you want a Semi version? FA BCG's are 100% legal in Ohio.

C4

Oh, OK. I thought there may have been a mechanical difference between the two that made it some how incompatible with a semi-auto set up.

So what IS the difference then?

C4IGrant
06-29-07, 09:38
Oh, OK. I thought there may have been a mechanical difference between the two that made it some how incompatible with a semi-auto set up.

So what IS the difference then?

Nope, not in the least. The only difference between a SA and FA BCG is that there is extra material in the back. That is all.

C4

dialM4murder
06-29-07, 09:41
Thank you.

dialM4murder
07-05-07, 20:23
Nope, not in the least. The only difference between a SA and FA BCG is that there is extra material in the back. That is all.

C4

Does the increased weight of the extra material affect the cycling reliability etc?

jmart
07-05-07, 21:40
Yes, and in in virtually all cases, in a favorable manner.

Robb Jensen
07-05-07, 21:49
Depending which kind on AR 'semi' carrier you talking about the difference in weight vs. a M16 carrier can be quite a bit. Since the system was designed for full-auto use why mess with the equation (a known system that works) by using a lighter carrier?

Carrier weights,bolt carriers (w/o bolts in them):
Colt non shrouded 1/2 circle carrier 8.63oz
Colt shrouded 1/2 circle carrier 8.87oz
Bushmaster non shrouded AR15 carrier 8.92oz
Bushmaster shrouded AR15 carrier 9.26oz
CMT M16 carrier 9.46oz
ARES G35 M16 carrier 10.54oz
Bushmaster gas piston AR15 carrier 10.10oz (w/screwed on solid carrier key like older POF, newest POF ones use integral key like ARES)

HK416 complete assembled BCG 12.00oz

buffers weights:
CAR buffer 2.96oz
Bushmaster H buffer 3.75oz
CMT H2 buffer 4.57oz
HK416 buffer 4.6oz
CMT H3 buffer 5.43oz
Enidine hydraulic CAR buffer 4.34oz (newest type, softer spring rate)
Enidine hydraulic rifle length buffer 5.84oz
Bushmaster rifle buffer 5.2oz
Colt 9mm buffer 5.6oz
MGI rate reducing buffer 7.1oz

dialM4murder
07-06-07, 02:03
ok, so i guess slower cycling is conducive to better reliability.

Robb Jensen
07-06-07, 04:19
ok, so i guess slower cycling is conducive to better reliability.

Most of the time.

You can make them cycle too slow too (it's all really a timing issue), usually only a problem if you're using weak ammo or an SBR.

dialM4murder
07-06-07, 08:03
Got it.

So what made manufacturers reduce the material in the rear of the carrier for semi autos in the first place?

Robb Jensen
07-06-07, 08:06
Got it.

So what made manufacturers reduce the material in the rear of the carrier for semi autos in the first place?

Fear of having 'machinegun parts' in a non-machinegun. After Colt got a clarification on the law they started putting full auto carriers in their semi-auto rifles. Other AR companies followed suit.

C4IGrant
07-06-07, 08:09
Fear of having 'machinegun parts' in a non-machinegun. After Colt got a clarification on the law they started putting full auto carriers in their semi-auto rifles. Other AR companies followed suit.

Yep.

C4

dialM4murder
07-06-07, 08:14
Excellent, thanks gentleman.

RD62
07-18-07, 21:26
Just wanted to say thanks to G&R for the new Bravo Co BCG that arrived today!

Once I get my barrel back from contouring at ADCO, I'll get it all put back together and give her a run!

-RD62

kingc
07-20-07, 00:47
The only issue I've had with the full auto carrier functionality was in an older Colt with the sear block part.