PDA

View Full Version : Youth Archery Starter Gear

ST911
08-05-10, 14:23
Looking for recommendations for archery starter gear for kids. Starting age will be ~8-10 or so. Gear should have flexibility and growth potential (if possible) for use into teens. It should also be high quality. I don't have a budget in mind, and will pay what the best overall value and combination of features costs.

Intended uses will be sport/rec, and possibly hunting later.

I will also query the local archery shops, but thought this group would offer sound advice as well, and without a monetary stake in what I select.

Recommendations?

Gutshot John
08-05-10, 14:38
Do you have a preference for a compound bow or recurve?

The issue you're going to run into is minimum weight for hunting will be about 40 lbs. Most youth archery starters are going to run about 25lbs depending on draw length.

40lbs presents a strong draw weight for most youngsters. A compound has an advantage with the let-off but are far more expensive.

Honestly I'd recommend going to Ebay and finding a quality 1970s vintage (i.e. Bear "Brave") recurve which can be had for not a lot of money. When the child has mastered the lighter weight recurve, I'd then step up to a nicer compound bow for hunting.

DMR
08-05-10, 20:34
I have started my daughter out with a simple recurve to get down the basics. She can't hint wigth it, but she likes to just get it out in the yard and practice. No sights, but it does have a rest for the arrow.

kry226
08-06-10, 07:30
I think you'll run into issues with the "growth potential" goal. Regardless, I think there are several companies who build starter bows for youngsters. The Mathews Genesis comes to mind immediately off the bat.

I will have to respectfully divert from the previously given advice in that I wouldn't go the recurve route unless my kids were showing an interest in staying with traditional tackle. If not, bows like the Genesis will work until they're ready to step up to higher draw hunting or target bows.

This is what I'll be doing with my own kids should they show an interest in archery.

ST911
08-06-10, 13:30
Thanks for the advice thus far. I'm not an archery guy, so I have no idea what I don't know.

If growth potential in a given unit isn't possible, that's fine. I'll buy more later.

No preference for a compound bow or recurve, but again, there's likely things to consider I wouldn't know to.

kry226
08-06-10, 14:09
Thanks for the advice thus far. I'm not an archery guy, so I have no idea what I don't know.

If growth potential in a given unit isn't possible, that's fine. I'll buy more later.

No preference for a compound bow or recurve, but again, there's likely things to consider I wouldn't know to.

I don't know about your kids, but if they watch some of the hunting channels and they're hoping to get into hunting when they "come of age," then they'd probably be better served by, and hold interest better with a compound bow.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with recurves or long bows, but there are just not that many people into them, and certainly not many of the big named bow hunters.

Either way, it's great that they're getting into archery of any type and that you're obviously helping to facilitate that. You can also try the forums at ArcheryTalk. Folks there will certainly be able to give you some good advice.