PDA

View Full Version : The real word...

adams77331
06-22-07, 20:09
I am in the Texas State Air Guard and we are starting a marksmanship team that will compete against the Air National Guard. We have to use weapons that are as comparable to military issue as possible...M4 and M9.

Several of us have many weapons, just not in these two categories and will be purchasing weapons to compete on the team.

Question 1: Is the Colt LE 6920 going to be as close as we can get to military issue? What about the CMMG 16" M4? Looking for opinions. Pros and cons.

Question 2: What kind of mods/improvements can we make and not deviate too far from military issue? What can we get away with? We don't want to cheat. Just be smart about it. I know shooting techniques and practice is primary.

Question 3: What spare parts would be considered "must haves" for competition shooting?

I hope these questions belong in this category...taking into consideration that we can't use "match" barrels, etc.

PS I qualified expert with the M16 in 1981...that was a long time ago.

Regards,

Clayton

rhino
06-23-07, 14:03
What kind of shooting will you be doing in the competitions? If it's static bullseye stuff, you might be better served with an M16A2 clone rather than an M4 clone.

If it's action shooting, then the M4-alike makes sense. Can you use optics?

Your pistols will be the same either way given your constraints. I'd at least get a good trigger job. If you need better precision, then you might consider getting an aftermarket barrel fitted as well.

adams77331
06-28-07, 19:12
I do not yet have the competition format. Probably non-action target shooting with varying distances and stances.

WillC
06-29-07, 19:06
Maybe a national match front and rear sight, at least a thinner front sight post, don't forget your sight black. Also a little dremel polish job on the sear never hurts, then some graphite and work the sear, brand new triggers on the M4 can be a beast.

PS I qualified expert last year while drunk :D

adams77331
07-01-07, 07:21
So, I am assuming from reading tons of other threads that the Colt LE 6920 is probably worth the money, since they are the standard, plus some spec/quality differences. Some minor polishing and sight chioces should get me accurized, to an extent. Select quality magazines, keep it clean and oiled, and get plenty of range time on a regular basis. Practice and use good marksmanship techniques. Did I miss anything?

Robb Jensen
07-01-07, 09:41
We need to know more about what kind of competition you'll be doing.

Is this 'service rifle' type shooting ? Meaning standing, kneeling and prone? Or is this shooting on the move, multiple targets, moving targets & steel like 3gun competition?

Are you allowed to use optics that are generally permitted/issued like Aimpoints and EOTechs?

Stik
07-02-07, 03:41
PS I qualified expert last year while drunk

I qualified as expert drunk this weekend!!!!!LOL

Robb Jensen
07-02-07, 07:15
PS I qualified expert last year while drunk

I qualified as expert drunk this weekend!!!!!LOL

Are you posting while drunk? http://img27.echo.cx/img27/4060/tazer8pg.jpg