PDA

View Full Version : AK-74's?

buff
08-05-10, 23:46
Hello all,

I'm new here guys and have a few questions. I owned an Ak Wasr 7.62x39 and a Bushmaster 24 inch stainless barrel a year ago and had to sale because of unseen circumstances. I just picked up a Daniels Defense DDXV monday and I want to get another AK or another AR for back up parts etc. But I got a line on a good deal for a Bulgarian AK 74 which I never owned or shot before. I'm not familiar with the caliber. What would you do first. I do plan on getting another varmint/LR type Ar15 again or AR10, and an AK47, but would you buy or can you recommend the 74. I know the ammo is cheap now, but I'm worried about availability and price down the road. I here their more accurate than the 47. What say you. By the way, Im mainly a bolt action hunter. But started into the semis and want to dive deeper in using and knowledge. Thanks for any input.

lloydkristmas
08-06-10, 00:05
If you like the idea of cheaper ammo and dont mind stocking the .223 and 5.45, go for the AK74, its a good buy in terms of economical/practical-ness. If the cost of ammo isnt as big of an issue, look into one of the .223 Saiga rifles, either converted, or pre-converted. Many people question the AK in 5.56/.223, but I owned one for years without any issues. I've since moved on but would wholeheartedly reccomend them.

Or, sell your AR, and get a high end Galil build that is basically the best of the two guns combined ;)

buff
08-06-10, 00:40
Are the Bulgarian Century arms chrome lined barrels?

And are these garbage rifles?

Are the Saigas better?

TOrrock
08-06-10, 00:43
Are the Bulgarian Century arms chrome lined barrels?

And are these garbage rifles?

Are the Saigas better?

No.

Yes.

Yes.

buff
08-06-10, 00:46
Thanks!

Irish
08-06-10, 02:27
First off, welcome to M4C. Secondly, and I'm not trying to sound like a dick, try putting relevant information in your title thread rather than "hello". Maybe something along the lines of "Need help or suggestions with XYZ..." and then you'll get a lot more helpful information in your threads. Best of luck.

buff
08-06-10, 08:34
Thanks for the proper posting information.

So the Bulgarians aren't chrome lined thanks for the info. I think I'll stay away from them. I do clean my rifles after every range session. Well it depends I guess. Depends on what I'm shooting and how many rounds I sent down range. But with the corrosive ammo out there I want the extra protection that a chrome lined barrel offers. I don't like the thoughts of having to hurry home after a range session after maybe shooting some corrosive ammo and having to plunge my rifle parts into water and using ammonia to clean. I hate the smell of that stuff. Am I wrong about this guys? This is my understanding of what needs to be done after shooting corrosive ammo through a non-chrome lined barrel.. Can any of you more knowledgable fellas enlighten me please. Am I correct in thinking this or am I off my rocker? Thanks for the input!

40Arpent
08-06-10, 08:51
Even with a chrome lined barrel, you should still follow the same cleaning process for corrosive ammo.

If you can't handle the smell of a little Windex, er, uh......nevermind.

buff
08-06-10, 08:58
I can handle the smell, the problem is I work in Quality control Lab within a refinery and breathe nasty stuff on a daily basis. Furthermore, I've recently been diagnosed with a certain lung problem and was told by my Dr. that I absolutely shouldn't be around second hand smoke and should think about a career change. Its not that I can't handle the smell of windex........lol......its I don't want to breathe in the junk, after breathing in Naphthas, Acetone, H2S ..etc.... all day long.

I understand you need to still clean that way with chrome, but my understanding is that it needs done immediately with a non chromed barrel. Like I mean immediately. Plus, I actually am going to try and stay away from the Mil surplus ammo. I hear thats the worsed. Thanks for your input though.

buff
08-06-10, 09:29
When I say Milsurplus I'm talking about the ammo like the Yugoslavian 1200 round wooden crate type ammo from the 80's.

Whats the new wolf ammo, brown bear, silver bear like? I've never tried any of them. Is that stuff real corrosive? That Yugo stuff I mention above I ran a case or two through my old AK and that stuff was wicked corrosive.

flanntastic
08-06-10, 09:35
if you are looking at a Arsenal Saiga 5.45 shoot me a IM, i know of some cheap.

(well cheap for arsenals)

buff
08-06-10, 09:57
pm sent

kaltesherz
08-06-10, 10:15
Corrosive ammo is easy to clean up after, just use a mix of boiling water and 10% ballistol. The water dissolves the corrosive salts and because it's so hot (boiling) is will evaporate quickly, and combined with the ballistol will keep rust from being a problem. 5.45x39 is an awesome round, cheap, accurate, and has even less recoil than .223/5.56. Just buy a lot of it now, while it's plentiful, I'm sure when the surplus dries up and importation becomes a problem a domestic source will become available, but at a significantly higher cost.

Business_Casual
08-06-10, 10:25
Corrosive just deposits salts inside the gun - which then cause rust when exposed to moisture. Just wash or neutralize the salts and you are good to go. I use hot water and then WD40 to get rid of the water. No Windex needed.

B_C

decodeddiesel
08-06-10, 11:19
Corrosive just deposits salts inside the gun - which then cause rust when exposed to moisture. Just wash or neutralize the salts and you are good to go. I use hot water and then WD40 to get rid of the water. No Windex needed.

B_C

This seems to be the best solution.

"5 months free for most premium televisions package...I jump in it"

Heart the sig line B_C.

rigrat
08-06-10, 11:37
Saiga's are better, and mine is 100% reliable.

The Century Bulgy AK74 with the bad poly furniture and the non chrome lined US barrel is not so good. Bought one when they where $350.00.

The fit and finish are pretty good on them (NDS2 rcvr), the problem is the barrels. Some keyhole and some do not. Mine does every now and then. Even though thats not good for accuracy it's intended use is HD. So I figure as long as accuracy is acceptable up to about 50 yards I will keep it which it is.

I haven't heard anything on the WASR 2 5.45's.Centerfire has them for about $400 with original chrome lined barrels and wood stocks. I would figure that there quality is on par with the 7.62 WASR's.

As far as cleaning the corrosive ammo residue, I just use boiling hot water to flush all the salts out and then clean as normal.

NCPatrolAR
08-06-10, 11:45
I've just started running a WASR-2. It's doing fine as of now. Keep in mind those barrels are threaded 14x1 though

rigrat
08-06-10, 11:56
Where did you pick up the WASR 2?And how is the accuracy say around 50 yards? I don't mind the fact the barrel is threaded for 14x1 was really curious if it jammed allot or not.

NCPatrolAR
08-06-10, 12:26
Picked it up from Henderson Defense per Templar's suggestion. I've yet measure accuracy; I've only been checking reliability

Seraph
08-06-10, 12:47
It's not at all that Bulgarian kit based 74's aren't good. The Bulgarian rifles are great, as AK's go, and a Bulgarian kit based build can be fantastic, when done right. It's the CENTURY-built Bulgarian kit based guns, and some of the other bottom feeder builds, that aren't so great. When Arsenal has Bulgarian kit based guns available, they're very nice, just as the Arsenal Saiga builds are. There's nothing about a Saiga that's inherently better than a Bulgarian 74. If you handed Century a truck load of Saiga parts, they'd soon be selling a truck load of Saiga based POS rifles.

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-10, 13:31
You guy's that want a '74 are making me feel guilty, I got my SLR-105R for $450 back in '06. :D

buff
08-06-10, 18:49
Alright, I decided to get the Ak in 7.62 before I get another AR. I found two. Ones a Romanian milled receiver and its loaded. The dude has a collapseable stock, after market rail system. Green laser mounted, scope mounted and flashlight. And it has a vertical drop down for a forearm stock with pressure switches to work both laser and flashlight. He also has pressure switches in the pistol grip that work both. A couple of steel mags and a couple polymer mags. He said he is the original owner and it has 300 rounds for $700.00

Or I can get a plain jane Vepr in 223/556 for $775.00 with two 30 rounders.

Decisions decisions. Whats the better deal in your opinion? And what do you prefer. I know very little about the Vepr, just what Ive read in the last half hour.

TOrrock
08-06-10, 19:00
No such thing as a Romanian milled receiver, and it sounds like an assload of craptastical accessories were thrown on it.....

If you're looking for an AK in 7.62x39mm and you want to keep costs to under $500.00, I'd seriously look at one of the "certified" WASR's that Henderson Defense sells. Yes, they're Century rifles, but Henderson goes through them to make sure that they're GTG so you don't have to worry about buying sight unseen.

DaBears_85
08-06-10, 19:02
Alright, I decided to get the Ak in 7.62 before I get another AR. I found two. Ones a Romanian milled receiver and its loaded. The dude has a collapseable stock, after market rail system. Green laser mounted, scope mounted and flashlight. And it has a vertical drop down for a forearm stock with pressure switches to work both laser and flashlight. He also has pressure switches in the pistol grip that work both. A couple of steel mags and a couple polymer mags. He said he is the original owner and it has 300 rounds for $700.00

Or I can get a plain jane Vepr in 223/556 for $775.00 with two 30 rounders.

Decisions decisions. Whats the better deal in your opinion? And what do you prefer. I know very little about the Vepr, just what Ive read in the last half hour.

How many rounds have been through them? Without actually seeing or handling the rifles I'd say the Romanian.

ETA: Nevermind, when I read Romanian I thought Bulgarian for some reason. It's been a long day.

TOrrock
08-06-10, 19:08
If you're willing to go $700.00, then these are two options that I'd seriously consider.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17015&cat=353&page=1

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17038&cat=354&page=1

DaBears_85
08-06-10, 19:17
Yeah, the SGL series is definately your best bet for your budget.

buff
08-06-10, 19:18
craptactical......:D:D
I'm still laughing and I was thinking the same. I bet its real fun to carry, its gotta way a ton.

The hendersons sound like they might be the way to go. Heres what I'd like to do for now. Drop $700-$800, but find something with a few mags and a case or two of ammo. Or better yet a case of ammo and a red dot that still enables me to use irons.

kaltesherz
08-06-10, 19:19
No such thing as a Romanian milled receiver, and it sounds like an assload of craptastical accessories were thrown on it.....

If you're looking for an AK in 7.62x39mm and you want to keep costs to under $500.00, I'd seriously look at one of the "certified" WASR's that Henderson Defense sells. Yes, they're Century rifles, but Henderson goes through them to make sure that they're GTG so you don't have to worry about buying sight unseen.

+1
Nothing says RUN than someone trying to sell a gun they know nothing about (Romanian milled receiver?!?) that's "loaded" with totally useless accessories. I'd save up some coin and get a Saiga.

TOrrock
08-06-10, 19:21
Definitely take some time to look through the Kalashnikov Knowledge Base threads that are tacked at the top of the forum. The one entitled "What to look for if I want an AK" is several years old but the core information is still valid.

If you want a red dot, don't skimp, buy quality, and it will cost about as much as the rifle did.

buff
08-06-10, 19:23
New or lightly used would be fine. I just don't have alot of cash to work with right now. My wifes got me on hold with the cashflow. I just sold some bolt actions to buy my DD and I sold another today, so thats why I got 7-800$$$$$ to work with.

I wish I could find a desent gunshop around me that had good AK's and wouldn't have to pay shipping. All I'm seeing around here are WARSR's

TOrrock
08-06-10, 19:29
+1
Nothing says RUN than someone trying to sell a gun they know nothing about (Romanian milled receiver?!?) that's "loaded" with totally useless accessories. I'd save up some coin and get a Saiga.

I'm almost embarrassed to post this pic, but I had nothing to do with it.

This was put together by a customer when I used to work at a local shop about 7 years ago or so......perfect example of craptastical. It was so ****ed up I had to take pictures to show an example of how to **** up a perfectly good AK with bullshit accessories.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/You%20cant%20make%20this%20shit%20up/2005_0729AK000712.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/You%20cant%20make%20this%20shit%20up/2005_0729AK000612.jpg

buff
08-06-10, 19:34
:lol:

DaBears_85
08-06-10, 20:01
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/You%20cant%20make%20this%20shit%20up/2005_0729AK000612.jpg

What the f*** is that thing?

It'd be a beautiful rifle without that 10x, or whatever that thing is on there. Is that a WASR underneath that monstrocity?

ETA: What is that cord on there? Does it have a phone mounted on the other side or something? What good does a light do mounted that far back?

m4fun
08-06-10, 21:56
That is the ultimate death machine - super secret Spetznaz at that. Made by the super secrect technology branch of the KGB.

Seriously, craptastical - I blew on that one.

I agree on the Hernderson Defense "certified" Century guns. I often wondered how it was almost impossible to ****up and AK. Then I got my cheapo Tantal from Century. Whole nother thread can be devoted to that but Century made it right in the end. Nice to know you can get one from a reputable company doing some dilligence ahead of time for you.

TOrrock
08-06-10, 22:04
What the f*** is that thing?

It'd be a beautiful rifle without that 10x, or whatever that thing is on there. Is that a WASR underneath that monstrocity?

ETA: What is that cord on there? Does it have a phone mounted on the other side or something? What good does a light do mounted that far back?

Yup, one of the first WASR's after they stopped the SAR-1's from coming in.

The two chords are for dueling light and laser.....

Gramps
08-06-10, 23:02
WHAT??? No quad rail, fore grip, bipod, and flash hider???

SteyrAUG
08-06-10, 23:10
When I say Milsurplus I'm talking about the ammo like the Yugoslavian 1200 round wooden crate type ammo from the 80's.

Whats the new wolf ammo, brown bear, silver bear like? I've never tried any of them. Is that stuff real corrosive? That Yugo stuff I mention above I ran a case or two through my old AK and that stuff was wicked corrosive.

Generally all military is corrosive and commercial is not.

By the way, skip Windex and just use a spray bottle of soapy water. It works much better than Windex. Then clean as you would normally to remove the soap and water.

Or you could simply shoot Wolf which is non corrosive and not too much more expensive.

SteyrAUG
08-06-10, 23:18
New or lightly used would be fine. I just don't have alot of cash to work with right now. My wifes got me on hold with the cashflow. I just sold some bolt actions to buy my DD and I sold another today, so thats why I got 7-800$$$$$ to work with.

I wish I could find a desent gunshop around me that had good AK's and wouldn't have to pay shipping. All I'm seeing around here are WARSR's

Skip the headaches and get a Kvar Arsenal. 21 series if you want 7.62 or 31 series if you want 5.45. Personally I'd recommend the 31.

Mags are cheap, $10 each (if you buy 4 or more and they come with a free mag pouch) at AIM and you have a choice of ammo as well.

Russian military (corrosive) 1080rd for $129.95

Silver Bear (non corrosive) 1080rd for $165.00

Right now all of these things are cheap and will good availability.

Dave_M
08-07-10, 00:25
The two chords are for dueling light and laser.....

Just don't cross the streams!

--or ever buy that thing! holy craptastic batman! I love the combination of a top-cover scope mount and laser.... let me wax poetic for a minute...

SteyrAUG
08-07-10, 03:05
Just don't cross the streams!

--or ever buy that thing! holy craptastic batman! I love the combination of a top-cover scope mount and laser.... let me wax poetic for a minute...

I am so getting one of those for my Hi Point carbine.

:D

Seraph
08-07-10, 09:25

This was put together by a customer when I used to work at a local shop about 7 years ago or so......perfect example of craptastical. It was so ****ed up I had to take pictures to show an example of how to **** up a perfectly good AK with bullshit accessories.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/You%20cant%20make%20this%20shit%20up/2005_0729AK000712.jpg

Awesome. Just awesome.

I've done the retail gun store thing, too. I've actually seen AK's more f'ed up than that. Never seen a bigger scope on an AK, though. That's truly epic. I always felt like I wanted to get them out of sight quickly, and remove all the garbage, to sort of erase the customer's shame. Oh, we'd make fun of them for sure, but now you're making me wish I'd been a little more cynical, and more ready with a camera.

That said, it was always the modified tactical SKS guys who really pushed the envelope...

YVK
08-07-10, 11:13

No comments on customer intentions etc., but I think this is/was a unique opportunity to tease out AK's inherent accuracy with that big-ass scope on it. Did he ever say what kind of groups he got?

buff
08-07-10, 12:27
Templar thanks bud. I got an email into Hendersons lastnight, so I'm sure I'll here from them Monday. Although, they seem to be sold out of all 7.62 looking at that webpage. Will see what the sales guy says. I found a local FFL guy that will charge me only $20. Some other shops wanted $50.00.

Henderson Defense Is what I've settled on. Now I got to find the cheapest place with some silver bear. I've shot Wolf and brown bear out of my buddies AK, but I've never shot any silver bear. Out of those three is there a better one gents?

Thanks!

SteyrAUG
08-07-10, 13:47
I've shot Wolf and brown bear out of my buddies AK, but I've never shot any silver bear. Out of those three is there a better one gents?

Thanks!

No appreciable difference in my opinion.

http://www.dkgtrading.com/bearammo/index.html

The Brown Bear - lacquered steel case
Silver Bear - highly polished zinc plating on steel case
Golden Bear - brass coating encases the steel case

buff
08-07-10, 14:44
Thanks

DaBears_85
08-07-10, 14:57
...they seem to be sold out of all 7.62 looking at that webpage.

They have 7.62's in stock.

They have 1 of the Century "Certified" Milled AK:

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad97/DaBears8586/photo-5.jpg

They also have 13 of the "Certified" Underfolder in stock:

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad97/DaBears8586/photo-6.jpg

buff
08-07-10, 15:15
I missed that milled one I guess. How much was it do you remember? I'm at work now and on a blackberry and don't have that much time to check. I don't want a underfolder, I saw them.

Thanks.

DaBears_85
08-07-10, 15:24
The price on the website says $679.95, but you might be able to haggle with them depending on your angle. :)

GermanSynergy
08-07-10, 18:11
Dude- where's my AK? :fie::fie::fie:

ls6man
08-16-10, 01:17
I think I remember seeing that rifle in the shop that day!! lol All that was missing was a laser designator..sort of reminds me of the guy and his dad I recently saw at the Richmond Showplace show back in the beginning of summer...

Guy walking around in all black (think they were utilites or at least outdoor wear) with desert tan load bearing/tactical vest, boots, knee and elbow pads, drop down rig (complete with stainless pistol..some sort of 9mm or .40 I'm sure), black ball cap, and Oakley's..Of course he had his "tacticool" AR diagonally slung...

Keep in mind we were in a building... in the city...in Richmond, Va...with it being 90 degrees outside...and no desert in sight..I saw him walking the aisles and had to show a fellow Garand collector who is in his 70's...He looked at me and shook his head and commented about that being the picture the "anti gun" people want to see and photo..

Like that F'ed up AK...sort of made me go "hmmmm"

OutlawtotheEnd
08-17-10, 19:37
If you want a decent AK variant, go with Arsenal. I would avoid Century Arms like the plague. They are peddlers of junk weapons made from used cut-up surplus Warsaw Pact weapons they refer to as "parts kits".

A question is do you want a 5.45x39mm caliber weapon? You said you already have an AR, then go for an Adams Arms 5.45 Piston upper.

http://www.adamsarms.net/details.asp?sku=010124221001