PDA

View Full Version : KNS Front Sight Post

Captains1911
08-06-10, 08:44
I recently purchased a few KNS .034" round dot sight posts, just because I find the standard front sight post too wide for accurate shooting at about 100 yards or more. When I received them I was surprised at just how narrow the posts are. They appear to be quality, and I'm sure their fine for range/plinking guns, but would anybody be concerned about using them on a defensive rifle in fear of them breaking? I realize that the ears on the sight base should protect them, but you never know (Murphy).

Dozer
08-06-10, 15:55
I recently purchased a few KNS .034" round dot sight posts, just because I find the standard front sight post too wide for accurate shooting at about 100 yards or more.

How so? What is the intended purpose of this rifle?

FYI Marines have been qualifying with iron sights out to 500yds with the standard front sight.

When I received them I was surprised at just how narrow the posts are. They appear to be quality, and I'm sure their fine for range/plinking guns, but would anybody be concerned about using them on a defensive rifle in fear of them breaking? I realize that the ears on the sight base should protect them, but you never know (Murphy).

Perhaps you should worry more about the software and less about the hardware. Invest in some training and ammo and don't sweat the small things.

ABN
08-07-10, 03:12
I recently purchased a few KNS .034" round dot sight posts, just because I find the standard front sight post too wide for accurate shooting at about 100 yards or more. When I received them I was surprised at just how narrow the posts are. They appear to be quality, and I'm sure their fine for range/plinking guns, but would anybody be concerned about using them on a defensive rifle in fear of them breaking? I realize that the ears on the sight base should protect them, but you never know (Murphy).

What size targets ?

For an M4, going off memory, center mass of a...

Man-Sized target is 2x width of front sight post @ ~90 meters
Man-Sized target is same width of front sight post @ ~175 meters
Man-Sized target is 1/2 width of front sight post @ ~350 meters

NOTE: The target to front sight post relation is different on an a2/a4, the front sight post is same width of center mass at ~300 meters.

Since 90 meters is ~100 yards...you're having trouble with the target which is 2x width or greater. At that range a National Match type thin front sight post, shouldn't a factor. I would surmise you don't have a proper front sight post focus.

NavyDavy55
08-07-10, 09:33
I like the narrow front post because my eyes are old and I see a blurry front post. Using the narrow front post has made me slightly more accurate at 100yds.

Reading glasses don't help with shooting because then I can't hardly see the target.

Captains1911
08-07-10, 10:11
What size targets ?

For an M4, going off memory, center mass of a...

Man-Sized target is 2x width of front sight post @ ~90 meters
Man-Sized target is same width of front sight post @ ~175 meters
Man-Sized target is 1/2 width of front sight post @ ~350 meters

NOTE: The target to front sight post relation is different on an a2/a4, the front sight post is same width of center mass at ~300 meters.

Since 90 meters is ~100 yards...you're having trouble with the target which is 2x width or greater. At that range a National Match type thin front sight post, shouldn't a factor. I would surmise you don't have a proper front sight post focus.

I've got no problem hitting man size targets at those ranges, but sometimes i like to shoot at smaller targets, like paper plates and squirrels, and I find the standard sight post is too wide for that type of precision. Thanks.

Deaj
08-08-10, 00:20
I've been using the KNS .034 post for a while now and I love it! The round bead centers naturally within the round rear aperture. I use the bead to cover POA and it makes target acquisition very quick. I'm proficient with the standard front post but I do find the KNS post an improvement for me. I'm using Troy folding battle sights for BUIS and an EOtech 512 as my primary sight. The Troy's are folded much of the time so I'm not worried about damage. I keep the standard post in my carry case so a replacement is close by should it be needed.

markm
08-09-10, 11:30
FYI Marines have been qualifying with iron sights out to 500yds with the standard front sight.

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't put any of the junk KNS makes on any of my guns... let alone my defensive guns.