PDA

View Full Version : Drop the Gen 3 for a Gen4 G19?

parishioner
08-06-10, 17:13
What do you think?

Does the Gen4 offer a significant improvement over the Gen3?
If you had a new Gen3 would you flip it for a Gen 4?

I have basically a new Gen3 G19 and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Keep it or sell it for a Gen4. This will be my only handgun for at least a year.

I know the Gen3 would serve me well but I'm hearing good things about the Gen4 like reduced recoil and better texturing. If I had already put a lot of rounds through my Gen3, I wouldn't even be asking. I would just keep it. But since I have the opportunity to sell it for a decent price, I'm just wondering if its worth it to get the next generation.

El Mac
08-06-10, 17:15
If it ain't broke...

varoadking
08-06-10, 17:29
If you had a new Gen3 would you flip it for a Gen 4?

In a New York minute...

I've already done this with my G17 and G22's...

JHC
08-06-10, 17:33
Ouch. Tough one. I like my Gen 4 19 that much more than my Gen 3 yes, but I still have both. I've a lot of confidence in the Gen 4 (my Gen 4 17 has been outstanding too, as has that of another family member and a close friend) but they have not been through the years of vetting like the Gen 3.

So it's not really logical to switch out. But if you must, I doubt you'll regret it.

demkofour
08-06-10, 17:54
Tough call for sure... My Gen3 is a duty issued pistol that has thousands down range with negative problems. You could certainly say it's not going anywhere. But I picked a a brand new LEO blue label Gen4 to compliment it today...
It has yet to be fired, but first impression is that it feels ever so slightly better in my hands and seems to point a bit better too. And my hands have been handling G19s for the better part of 19 years now. Bottom line: If you can turn the Gen3 over for little or no loss and get a Gen4 in exchange, I'd say go for it.

jdavis6576
08-06-10, 19:45
I made the switch. I had a regular Gen3 and I have an RTF2 (no gills). I suppose it comes down to why you want to switch. I previously owned a HK P2000 and used the large backstrap, I had an M&P and used the large backstrap. That said, the appeal of the Gen4 to me was being able to use the large backstrap. I've never owned a G21 but I've fondled a few and the increased grip size helped me place my finger on the trigger better. On the Gen3s my finger extended too far on the trigger which caused me to jerk the trigger more.

I sold my Gen3 for $400 and bought a blue label Gen4 from Ed's for $398. If you can get that kind of deal AND there are benefits other than "it's the newest" then go for it.

M4arc
08-06-10, 20:36
I don't own a Gen4 G19 yet but I do own four other G19s so I'm sort of attached to them and I may be a little biased.

If you can only own one for at least a year because of cashflow I think you should keep the Gen3. You're probably not going to be able to sell it for the same price that the Gen4 will run you so you'll automatically be in the hole.

Instead I would put some nice sights on your Gen3, a Vickers Mag Catch, some ammo and a few spare mags and call it a day.

Palmguy
08-06-10, 20:40
I don't own a Gen4 G19 yet but I do own four other G19s so I'm sort of attached to them and I may be a little biased.

If you can only own one for at least a year because of cashflow I think you should keep the Gen3. You're probably not going to be able to sell it for the same price that the Gen4 will run you so you'll automatically be in the hole.

Instead I would put some nice sights on your Gen3, a Vickers Mag Catch, some ammo and a few spare mags and call it a day.

I agree completely.

I have Gen3 and Gen4 19s...

dc202
08-06-10, 21:05
Are the Gen4 19s widely available? I have had no luck locally so far.

Palmguy
08-06-10, 21:07
Are the Gen4 19s widely available? I have had no luck locally so far.

Yes they are.

R.P.
08-06-10, 21:08
Jman, pm sent. :D

dc202
08-06-10, 22:14
Yes they are.
Thanks. After reading your reply I checked another source and they just got in a bunch.
Guess my Gen 3 is going up for sale.

BSHNT2015
08-07-10, 12:42
I was wondering the same thing, gen 3 or gen 4, I've own a gen 3 G 19 and had no problems. I currently run a gen 4 G 22 at work and like it enough to consider the gen 4 23. But with ammo cost the 9mm is cheaper. With newer 9mm ammo, ie Winchester 127 +p loads, I'm go to go.

Glock day is coming up near me and I can pick up a new G 19 gen 3 or gen 4. I guess I'll flip a coin when I get there.

varoadking
08-07-10, 13:30
Thanks. Guess my Gen 3 is going up for sale.

I don't think you'll regret it...

Seawolf
08-07-10, 17:52
I'm waiting for the G23 Gen4 before I make the switch. I don't think the dual recoil setup really helps the 9mm all that much, but in 40S&W I think it makes a big enough difference to justify the switch.

If you have girly hands and need the smaller grip then go for it, but other wise I wouldn't in 9mm.

dc202
08-07-10, 17:55
I'm waiting for the G23 Gen4 before I make the switch. I don't think the dual recoil setup really helps the 9mm all that much, but in 40S&W I think it makes a big enough difference to justify the switch.

If you have girly hands and need the smaller grip then go for it, but other wise I wouldn't in 9mm.

My hands are on the large size, definitely not "girly." I had the opportunity to handle a Gen4 today and can say that the ability to customize the grip is most definitely worth it to me. I have finally held a Glock that felt just right. Can't address the spring issue until I buy one and shoot it.

parishioner
08-07-10, 18:19
I appreciate everyone's help. It's for sale again in the EE now.

skyugo
08-07-10, 19:53
i'm personally in no rush to switch. i'm gonna give it a year or 2, to make sure everything is sorted with the gen4's.
I think i'm more curious than interested at this point. my gen 3 glocks have been performing well for me. I have no issues with the grip either. If the new recoil assembly makes for faster followup shots that would be nice though.

tpd223
08-07-10, 23:51
Personally I'm waiting to buy a few second hand G19s after all ya'll switch to the 4th gen guns.

In the 9mms I'm liking the gen 3 guns better so far.

HK51Fan
08-08-10, 00:46
I handled a gen 4 this weekend....ehh.

I'll keep my Gen 3, G20 and G22......I'm looking for a G17, something tells me the Gen 3's will be very affordable....sooo!;)

jdavis6576
08-08-10, 07:17
Just an FYI, I shot 200 rounds through my Gen4 G19 yesterday and noticed that the trigger housing pin (I use the longer one with the large backstrap) was walking to the right quite a bit. So much so that it appeared to me that the left side of the grip was not longer being held on by the pin. It was an easy fix, I just pushed it back in but it is something to consider. I'll be calling Glock tomorrow to see if they can send me another long pin, maybe mine is slightly out of spec.

rainman
08-08-10, 08:55
What do you think?

...at least not in 9mm.

IMNSHO...
The Gen 4 Glock ergonomic changes are a welcome improvement (although I think the execution on the Smith M&P series is substantially better).

Other changes...especially the redesigned recoil spring system...were mainly to address reliability issues with the .40 S&W. The Gen 3 G19s and G17s are already some of the most reliable secondary weapons on the planet.

There have been documented reliability issues with the Gen 4 9mm guns, and Glock is certainly working to address them (reduced power recoil spring is now available). A friend 'had' a Gen 4 G17 which was not 100% reliable even with full-power ammo...he sold it.

The Gen 4 G19 does seem to have had a much smoother introduction than the Gen 4 G17 did.

All that being said, as someone who owns a number of Gen 3 G19s, I'm going to wait awhile. In fact, I will shortly purchase one more Gen 3 and send to Ben Simonson at Boresight Solutions for his "Basic Reduce and Texture" service.

I've had grip work done to nearly all of my G19s. Ben Simonson's is the best IMNSHO.

Sure, Glocks are okay from the factory. Yes, the grip work adds $$$ to cost of ownership. That's a price I'm willing to pay.

No doubt I will eventually own a Gen 4 G19...just going to wait a bit longer.

As to the original question; to sell or not...

No way...at least not at this time! :D

-Rainman

JonInWA
08-08-10, 10:21
I'm pretty satisfied with my Gen 3 Glocks. While I see the Gen4 grip texture and magazine release as incrimental improvements, I haven't had issues in use or competitions with my Gen 3 G19, G17, G34, and G21 as they are. Texture wise, I see the biggest beneficiary of the Gen4 being the large-frame models-the G20/G21.

Performance/durability/longevity wise, I see the biggest beneficiaries of the Gen4 treatment being the .40 and .357 SIG models.

I do see a Gen4 G32 in my future, but see absolutely zero compelling need to rush out and trade any of my Gen 3s for a Gen4.

Best, Jon

M4arc
08-08-10, 11:06
I appreciate everyone's help. It's for sale again in the EE now.

Good luck man.

Personally I think you'll be setting yourself back by switching now. You're never going to get the same price for the Gen 3 as what you'll need to pay for the Gen4 and that extra money could have been used for sights, ammo, or a holster. Plus you need to factor in how long this is going to take to sort out and how long you're going to go without practicing.

Let's just say you get $510 for your Gen 3:
- You'll probably spend $535 on the Gen4
- You'll probably have to pay sales tax (figure 5%) = $26.75
- Or you'll probably have to pay a transfer fee (avg) = $35

Best case scenerio is you'll have to pay $52 out of pocket and that's the best case you can hope for. It could be around $100 depending on how much you are willing to let your 3rd Gen go for and what the Gen4s are going for in your area.

Then you're still on the hook for decent sights, ammo, mags, and holster. That doesn't change regardless if it's a 3rd or 4th Gen.

But if you feel the benefits of the Gen4 are worth it then go for it. You know what's best for you.

varoadking
08-08-10, 12:08
But if you feel the benefits of the Gen4 are worth it then go for it.

That was certainly the case for me...

parishioner
08-08-10, 12:20
Yea, I'm willing to pay a few extra bones. Luckily my uncle is my FFL and he doesn't charge me a fee. Plus, its a tax free weekend here in Louisiana so I'm on the hunt now.

JHC
08-08-10, 14:39
Good luck man.

Good advice from Jon and M4arc.
Around here that would be a better than best case scenario.
More like $400 on the like new Gen 3 trade in.

I'm a Gen 4 koolaid drinker with 6K rounds through the house-team's two Gen 4 17s and a Gen 4 19. I prefer them now over any other but retained the Gen 3 17 and 19 and shooting the two versions side by side - I prefer the Gen 4's but the measurable differences on targets and timers is not large. My younger son, not highly experienced or proficient yet, shoots the Gen 3 G17 better than the Gen 4's - surely because of the 3.5 connector in the Gen 3 vs the heavier stock triggers on the Gen 4s. Factors like this may make more shootability difference than any other.

BUT, if the economics are not important, you won't likely be disappointed. ;)

dvdlpzus
08-08-10, 16:45
Good luck man.

Personally I think you'll be setting yourself back by switching now. You're never going to get the same price for the Gen 3 as what you'll need to pay for the Gen4 and that extra money could have been used for sights, ammo, or a holster. Plus you need to factor in how long this is going to take to sort out and how long you're going to go without practicing.

Best case scenerio is you'll have to pay $52 out of pocket and that's the best case you can hope for. It could be around $100 depending on how much you are willing to let your 3rd Gen go for and what the Gen4s are going for in your area.

Then you're still on the hook for decent sights, ammo, mags, and holster. That doesn't change regardless if it's a 3rd or 4th Gen.

But if you feel the benefits of the Gen4 are worth it then go for it. You know what's best for you.

Where can I sell my Gen 3 G19 for $510? Where I live new Gen 3 G19s go for $500 on an expensive day...

spr1
08-08-10, 18:16
mdshooters.com and glocktalk have had pictures of spontaneously disassembled Gen 4 recoil assemblies out of both G22'S and G17's. Look how many pieces go into the new recoil assemblies and it is not a big stretch to figure out why. I think Glock needs to go back to the drawing board before I would count on one.
I do love the new grip texture.....

JHC
08-08-10, 19:56
I saw that GT report. Also the other fellow who reported all sorts of parts that didn't change in the gen 4 breaking into pieces at the indoor range he worked at. Skeptical of both unless there are are bunch of repeats.

spr1
08-09-10, 04:21
I did not see the other parts comment. The picture on mdshooters is from a different gun.

HK45
08-14-10, 10:10
I sold my one Gen 3 19 for a Gen 4. I prefer the new grip, mag release, trigger, and flatter shooting that much. Plus my 17's are all Gen 4 now. Plus the bottom of the Gen 4 grips feel huge to my compared to Gen 4.

ruddyhair
08-14-10, 18:12
I'll be sticking with my gen 3's - Why replace perfection?

El Mac
08-14-10, 21:51
I'd personally buy myself a quality grip reduction before I'd spend coin on a Gen.4.

lil'Zeus
08-14-10, 21:52
If you can only have one or the other I would go Gen 4 in a heart beat. The new big mag release is worth its weight in gold on speed reloads in my opinion...

SHIVAN
08-14-10, 22:02
It's what GLOCK is banking on. Unless I was getting LE or MIL pricing on the Gen4, there is no chance I would dump a Gen3 for a Gen4.

The ergos aren't thaaaat different between the two, and the recoil spring setup thingy is meh...

Hell, I've got a Gen2 & 3 G17, and a Gen3 G19. I don't feel left out at all by not having the latest generation, not one bit.

Good luck for your decision.