PDA

View Full Version : Two separate/distinct POI

JimmyB62
08-06-10, 18:15
I’ve searched here and elsewhere but have only found information related to POI changes with suppressors. I posted this on Sniper's Hide but thought I'd post here too.

I have a stock Remington 700 VSSF II in 223. I have a Luepold VX-3 6.5x20x50 with varmint reticle, mounted with two piece Mark IV bases and rings.

With a variety of loads I am getting two distinct POI. Out of 10 rounds about 6-7 will group into about 5/8 to 3/4“ and the remaining rounds will do likewise but above and to the right about 1/2 to 3/4” away.

I have checked to make sure the bases and rings are secure and the action screws seem reasonably tight.

This isn’t a cold bore issue as I get the variance when the barrel is warm.

I’d appreciate any thoughts on the matter as I really don’t know where to go from here.

Thanks.

shootist~
08-06-10, 20:00
Figure 8 group. I've seen it, but don't profess to know the cause. Probably ammo related so a change there could help. I would also pull the stock and remount checking screw tension, etc.

TonyM
08-06-10, 20:06
Are you raising your head off the rifle between groups? Could be a change in cheek weld.

JimmyB62
08-06-10, 21:11
Are you raising your head off the rifle between groups? Could be a change in cheek weld.

Yes. Someone else asked me that. Would it make a difference if I have an adjustable parallax scope that is properly focused at 100 yrds?

I haven't had this issue with other rifles though using the same technique. The 17hmr I shot the same day as the 700 would consistantly shoot 7/8" 10 shot groups.

Thanks for the feedback.

taliv
08-06-10, 21:48
when this happens in benchrest shooting, it's usually a seating depth issue. in your case though, my guess is a change in position.

TonyM
08-07-10, 08:44
Precision rifle shooting is about consistancy, when you change your shooting position you have added multiple variables. Get your position shoot your group then look to see where they are. To maintain a consistant cheek weld some people tape a small BB to their stock. Put the BB in the same spot on your face every time to give you a consistant cheek weld.
Make sure you can see through the entire scope, if you have dark shadows on the edges this can cause changes in POI. This is also a cheek weld issue.

TacticalIntervention
08-08-10, 13:10
Do you get two groups even once rifle is good and hot?

Some rifles will move groups as they heat up and once hot they stay in same place. Let them cool and they go back to the original group poi

If rifle is hot and you still get one up one down thing its usually you are inconsistent with cheek pressure. Dont hold jaw stiff, relax.

uscbigdawg
08-08-10, 19:37
Is the barrel free floating over the stock?

Rich

Failure2Stop
08-08-10, 20:31
Disregarding possible human issues it sounds like a heat issue.
Have you tracked the groups as they form, shot by shot?

JimmyB62
08-08-10, 20:53
It happened right off the bat when cold and continued when hot and I did get the barrel quite hot. I fired about 150 rounds that day. The barrel is free floated. That is the one thing I checked while shooting it, thinking maybe there was some contact after the barrel heated. The dollar bill test showed no obvious contact.

Part of why this is frustrating for me is because this bone stock rifle looked like it really wanted to shoot. Nothing changed as it heated up which generally hasn't been the case for me when shooting other rifles. If it is my technique, wouldn't that show on the other rifle I was shooting that day?

Anyway, next time I go out I'll pay attention to maintaining cheek weld and see how it goes. I'll look into mechanical causes after that.

Thanks....

PS I'll keep my targets from next time and post them here which may help resolve this.