PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint CompM2, CompM3 or CompM4?

LongRider
08-07-10, 05:36
Asked this on another forum thought maybe I'd get some more informed credible replies here

I have decided on an Aimpoint for my AR15. Aimpoints rugged construction and decade long constant on battery life suits my HD needs the best. After some research I believe that GG&G combination sight, mount and rear iron site combo packages are about the best deal available. Now comes the rub

Aimpoint CompM2 (http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=91&parents=84,85), GG&G Cantilever Aimpoint Ring and GG&G BUIS $545.00

Aimpoint CompM3 (http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=92&parents=84,85) GG&G Cantilever Aimpoint Ring and a GG&G BUIS $590.00

Aimpoint CompM4 (http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=176&parents=84,85) GG&G Accucam Quick Detach Mounting Base (no BUIS) $700.00.

There is only a slight difference in price between the CompM2 & CompM3. Is there any performance reliability difference? Does anyone know how well Aimpoint supports its older models?
There is a big price jump to the CompM4. Is the performance reliability difference worth the extra investment for a civilian HD/SHTF weapon.

I am leaning towards the CompM3 but any input from experienced Aimpoint users owners would be appreciated.

sjc3081
08-07-10, 06:57
Botach Defense has the M4s for 571.00. There may be a shipping delay, but it is worth the savings to me.

R.P.
08-07-10, 07:01
Longrider,

The M2 only comes with a 4 MOA dot.
The M3 comes with either a 2 or 4 MOA dot.
With the M4 being out of my price range, I have never bothered to research it, but I believe it has a 2 MOA dot and runs off of AA batteries.

All of these sights are night vision compatible. With that being said, is that something you think you'll need? There are other options from Aimpoint such as the C3, ML2, and ML3, which are very similar to the ones you mentioned except they are non night vision compatible.

I have no experience with the GG&G mounts. I went through this same thing earlier this year and I was able to find a used Comp M3 with a Larue Mount on here on the Equipment Exchange for less than what the M2 combo you have listed.

You basically can't go wrong with any Aimpoint.

NavyDavy55
08-07-10, 08:33
Aimpoint Comp ML3 w/ LaRue Tactical QD Mount $569.00

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=20

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/Aimpoint_ML3_small.JPG

JSGlock34
08-07-10, 09:32
If the Comp M2 is of interest, SKD Tactical (a site sponsor) is running a pretty solid deal. Check out this link (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=789678&page=1) for more info.

By the way, the CompM4 comes with a perfectly useful mount right out of the box. No need to spend extra on an aftermarket mount (unless you want QD functionality). Keep that in mind when comparing CompM4 prices.

500grains
08-07-10, 10:21
1. There is no discernible difference in optics among the Aimpoints the OP asks about.

2. A Larue mount is more solid and tends to snag on stuff less than a GG&G mount. I have both and I know.

3. A Larue mount for the M4 is the most solid.

Based on this, when buying a new one I would get an Aimpoint M4 or M4s with Larue mount.

jkingrph
08-07-10, 10:52
I went with a couple of ML 3's, for the cost difference. No way I could justify the price on the M4. I would have been nice to use aa batteries, but the Larue mount has storage space for a battery, plus the Magupl UBR, I think, stock has storage space also. Really considering listed battery life I will probably never need a spare.

The Solid
08-07-10, 11:26
i think probably the best deal you can find, unless you are pre-disposed to a specific model, would be the C3. You get the battery life, 2 moa dot, and they are a great price.

RogerinTPA
08-07-10, 12:35
i think probably the best deal you can find, unless you are pre-disposed to a specific model, would be the C3. You get the battery life, 2 moa dot, and they are a great price.

Agreed.

However...the M4s (which I have) is the most bomb proof rendition yet from aimpoint, can take some serious abuse, comes with a mount and has some extremely long battery life..

Alaskapopo
08-07-10, 17:38
Asked this on another forum thought maybe I'd get some more informed credible replies here

I have decided on an Aimpoint for my AR15. Aimpoints rugged construction and decade long constant on battery life suits my HD needs the best. After some research I believe that GG&G combination sight, mount and rear iron site combo packages are about the best deal available. Now comes the rub

Aimpoint CompM2 (http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=91&parents=84,85), GG&G Cantilever Aimpoint Ring and GG&G BUIS $545.00

Aimpoint CompM3 (http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=92&parents=84,85) GG&G Cantilever Aimpoint Ring and a GG&G BUIS $590.00

Aimpoint CompM4 (http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=176&parents=84,85) GG&G Accucam Quick Detach Mounting Base (no BUIS) $700.00.

There is only a slight difference in price between the CompM2 & CompM3. Is there any performance reliability difference? Does anyone know how well Aimpoint supports its older models?
There is a big price jump to the CompM4. Is the performance reliability difference worth the extra investment for a civilian HD/SHTF weapon.

I am leaning towards the CompM3 but any input from experienced Aimpoint users owners would be appreciated.

The Comp M3 has a 50000 hour battery life while the Comp M2 is only 10000 hours.
Pat

kaltesherz
08-07-10, 21:30
Agreed.

However...the M4s (which I have) is the most bomb proof rendition yet from aimpoint, can take some serious abuse, comes with a mount and has some extremely long battery life..

The mount is absolute co-witness, some people like lower third, esp with fixed BUIS. But with an 80,000 hour battery life on AA's it's got it's appeal.

I've got a 2moa M3 w/ Larue LT-150 and love it. All the features of an M2 but 5x the battery life. It could only get better if it was a T-1, but I couldn't afford one then and I can't afford one now.

JSantoro
08-08-10, 02:00
If you don't need NVG capability and don't need it to be immersible past 15m depth, your best value is a C3.

Forget GG&G and go for a LaRue or ADM mount in whatever cowitness height you prefer. Somewhat more money spent on a better mount that will last you longer and give you true zero repeatability = better value.

If you're willing to spend drakhmas of an M4 variant, why not spend the same on a T1 or H1 setup? The dot on those is listed as 4MOA, but is actually closer to 3MOA, maybe even slightly less than that.

Arguably, hard to go wrong with any in the OP listed, provided you get a mount commensurate with the quality of the optic.

GhostB14
08-08-10, 09:55
For a regular guy a C3 in a Larue mount is the shit. I own a ML3 on a 5.56 AR and a C3 in a Larue on my .22lr AR. Both get used pretty hard and I have not seen any difference. On a side note, Larue is comming out with cheaper versions of their mounts, the difference being no QD lever. Its the same Larue strong mount we love, but lesser priced due to the deletion of the QD lever. If you don't need the QD, that's the way to go. They have some info up on their site about it.

tomalibrando
08-08-10, 09:57
One of the biggest advantages with the M4 was the AA battery which is more available overseas and works with more stuff (ie; PEQ-4, PVS 14's). That means less stuff to tote and account for when you need them. If you had AA's and 3v 123 batteries, you're all set. All PXs have the AA where as the 3 v batteries for the M2 were not as available (at least from my experience, it was an issued item). They aren't needed too much because of the extremely long life of any modern aimpoint (40,000 to 80,000 hours/M4) which is just crazy. Why turn it off. The M4 is bomb proof and more are showing up overseas along with the M2s. You can't really go wrong with any choice. If you use a magnifier, the 2MOA dot (M3/M4)is a little nicer.

Caeser25
08-08-10, 14:20
I'd recommend an ADM or Larue mount over GG&G.

tomalibrando
08-08-10, 16:29
"I'd recommend an ADM or Larue mount over GG&G."

I second that. great experience with both. I like that the ADM doesn't require tools to adjust tension and there's a lot of contact with the rail. I like the Larue cause it's...well a Larue. bomb proof

El Mac
08-08-10, 23:01
The Bobro mount for those Aimpoints absolutely rocks. I've had em all and Bobro wins.

AllAmerican
08-09-10, 11:10
If the Comp M2 is of interest, SKD Tactical (a site sponsor) is running a pretty solid deal. Check out this link (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=789678&page=1) for more info.

By the way, the CompM4 comes with a perfectly useful mount right out of the box. No need to spend extra on an aftermarket mount (unless you want QD functionality). Keep that in mind when comparing CompM4 prices.

I just bought a Comp4, and have a MaTech BUIS, I was wondering if it gives a true co-witness, or lower 1/3 with the built in mount?? I would like a true co-witness, any thoughts?
Sorry to get off topic but did not want to start a new thread, and I saw your post.

Thanks,
AllAmerican

GeorgiaBoy
08-09-10, 18:30
Since no one has mentioned this to the OP, why not save (on average) $30-60 on getting a C2 or C3 instead of M2 or M3? Only main difference is a shorter water-proof depth distance.

I went with Comp C3 over M3 for the very reason.. I don't plan on diving to 60+ feet with it anytime soon..! :D

The Solid
08-09-10, 19:33
uhh i think quite a few of us have mentioned that.

variablebinary
08-09-10, 19:39
I'd go ML3, which strikes a nice balance between the M4 and C3

GeorgiaBoy
08-09-10, 20:23
uhh i think quite a few of us have mentioned that.

Meh. Must have skimmed through to fast. No biggie, just one more personal opinion for the OP.

Peace.

Magic_Salad0892
08-10-10, 03:15
I like the M4S + LaRue mount.

Bomb proof as shit.

I'd love if they made a micro version (T1 = Micro Comp M3).

I'd buy it.

Personally I hate the battery being on top, I much prefer the S version. It feels like an EOTech but better, to me.

Alaskapopo
08-10-10, 04:46
I like the M4S + LaRue mount.

Bomb proof as shit.

I'd love if they made a micro version (T1 = Micro Comp M3).

I'd buy it.

Personally I hate the battery being on top, I much prefer the S version. It feels like an EOTech but better, to me.

Actually the T1 is more like the M4 than the Com C3 as you said. The T1 is a lot more water proof.
Pat

Magic_Salad0892
08-10-10, 05:09
Actually the T1 is more like the M4 than the Com C3 as you said. The T1 is a lot more water proof.
Pat

I guess that's true. If they made a 2 MOA or even 1 MOA (I've been waiting for this forever) sighted T1, I'd be all over it.

1 MOA Comp M4S would be tits.

opmike
08-12-10, 00:26
I don't think Aimpoint will ever be releasing a 1 MOA dot; there wouldn't be a point.

And the reticle on the 2 MOA variants already is small if you crank down the brightness some.

What would a 1 MOA reticle offer you that 2 MOA currently isn't? If you need sub MOA groups on targets at long ranges, an Aimpoint probably isn't the right optic for that application anyway.

And for the OP, I will echo the statements of others that have suggested the CompC3 with either the ADM or LaRue mount.

Magic_Salad0892
08-12-10, 02:37
I don't think Aimpoint will ever be releasing a 1 MOA dot; there wouldn't be a point.

And the reticle on the 2 MOA variants already is small if you crank down the brightness some.

What would a 1 MOA reticle offer you that 2 MOA currently isn't? If you need sub MOA groups on targets at long ranges, an Aimpoint probably isn't the right optic for that application anyway.

And for the OP, I will echo the statements of others that have suggested the CompC3 with either the ADM or LaRue mount.

Crank the brightness up and the dot would appear 2 MOA, lower it and when it hits 1 MOA it would obscure a target less. Not by much, but every bit helps.

But a 2 MOA T1 would be better than any 1 MOA Aimpoint sight...

kaltesherz
08-12-10, 02:47
While they claim the T1/H1 are 4 MOA they're really closer to 3, so it's pretty moot

ezed
08-12-10, 19:01
I can tell you this about the Aimpoint M4s with GG mount....it served my son well for 7 months in Astan. He told me he loved it and was very happy that he did not have to worry about extra batteries or running them down after forgetting to turn the thing off after 4 days straight of patrols. He brought it back home to me as he does not need it any longer... (he is in sniper school as we speak) and I mounted the well worn battle trophy on one of my ARs. If you look at the sand blasted finish on the that thing, you would appreciate the durability of both the Aimpoint and the mount.

jhs1969
08-12-10, 23:53
The Comp M3 has a 50000 hour battery life while the Comp M2 is only 10000 hours.
Pat

Current/late models of the M2, ML2 are reported to have as much as a 30,000hr battery life even though they are still "officially" rated at 10,000hr.

Chuck TX
08-15-10, 14:45
The Bobro mount for those Aimpoints absolutely rocks. I've had em all and Bobro wins.

Yep yep yep. The Bobro mounts are very nice. Especially if you have various platform where the rails might not be exactly the same spec. Fits 'em all without adjusting.

For mounts it's going to be Bobro or LaRue for me.

sff70
08-15-10, 23:55
ML3 2 moa
LT mount