PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Disconnects

dog guy
08-07-10, 08:52
Do pistols with magazine disconnects aka mag safeties have any history of additional problems or failures that are not also present in pistols not equipped this way? The additional gizmo would seem to be an additional point of complexity and failure, but what does experience really show? My state does not require them, but I live close enough to Colliephoneya that a CA compliant pistol could be advantageous during travel. Thanks.

HuttoAg96
08-07-10, 09:26
On my Ruger, the design is very simple and I have a hard time seeing how it would cause a failure (or the odds are infinitesimally low). It's pretty much just a little metal piece that rests in the slide with a little spring behind it.

John_Wayne777
08-07-10, 10:49
To the best of my knowledge, no. I've never heard of additional reliability problems introduced by the presence of a mag safety in handguns, at least not on modern handguns.

Beat Trash
08-07-10, 11:24
My agency has issued some flavor of S&W since transitioning from revolvers in the late 1980's, All of which have had magazine disconnect safeties.

We have never had a mechanical issue with magazine disconnect safeties.

Alpha Sierra
08-09-10, 08:26
I don't understand why CA compliance would be useful to you, a non-resident of that state.

CA compliance in handguns is only a factor when you go to sell it. Since all firearms must be transfered through FFLs in CA, you may find that some dealers will not want to touch a used, non-CA compliant handgun.

As far as some patrol cop goes, I seriously doubt they know or care if the pistol is CA compliant if it is legally in your possession since you are not a CA resident.

NCPatrolAR
08-09-10, 11:19
My agency has issued some flavor of S&W since transitioning from revolvers in the late 1980's, All of which have had magazine disconnect safeties.

We have never had a mechanical issue with magazine disconnect safeties.

Same for us

dog guy
08-09-10, 17:47
The compliance question grew out of a conversation with a Deputy from a northern CA county. The original discussion had to do with the legality of looping through CA with an "assault rifle" locked away while going from Nevada to Nevada on the one good highway in the area. His feedback is that it's illegal to do so, and is considered to be "importing" an illegal weapon into CA. He also stated that I would run into the same problem if carrying a non-compliant pistol, or pistol magazines that exceed CA's capacity limit. He may very well be wrong, but I'd hate to halve to spend time and money proving my point in court. As to the attitude of the street cops, it seems to vary widely based on urban vs rural, North CA vs South CA, rural Sheriff vs busy CHP, etc. Guess I'll do some more homework, maybe directly with the DOJ or something. And thanks for the input on the reliability question.

Timbonez
08-09-10, 17:58
The Browning Hi-Power and the beginning of S&W semi-autos (Models 39 and 59) have magazine disconnects and no problems attributed to it. You can feel confident in buying a weapon with one.

CAVDOC
08-09-10, 19:36
the officer is incorrect- you may travel from one place to another so long as the possession of the firearm is legal at the origin and destination of the trip- this is part of the FOPA (firearms owners protection act) legislation dating to the Reagan era!
While it may be illegal to have for instance high cap mags otherwise not legal in the area, the gun itself (which for purposes of this discussion must be unloaded and locked away from access by the occupants of the vehicle.)is legal to have-.
however, you are not allowed within the limits of the bill to stop in the prohibited area for any reason except gas/food/mechanical breakdown.