PDA

View Full Version : Maryland speeding crackdown

Littlelebowski
08-07-10, 10:21
From a friend that would know. Of course the real reason is money, not safety.

Starting August 1st, Maryland State Troopers will write tickets for 5 miles over the speed limit. The goal for them is $9 million in 30 days. They are saying that our modern speedometers and their "highly calibrated radar guns" remove the + or - 5 mile slop they used to allow us but they also admitted its really all about the revenue so be alert out there!

SteveL
08-07-10, 11:43
At least they're up front about and admit that it's primarily about the money.

Belmont31R
08-07-10, 12:20
It is mostly about the money. Tickets/fines are a huge revenue source.

I think it was last year but there was a county comissioner whining about how ticket writings had gone down, and now the county was going to be missing out on around 750k in revenue. They had actually writen their budget based on ticket revenue expectations.

Theres one town up by Dallas that actually writes more tickets than they have residents.....a "speed trap" down that they make huge bucks off of.

Just look at the autobahn in Germany. Its safer to drive there than it is here despite the lack of speed limit in many places. Even the standard speed limit where there are limits is still higher than the average limit here. The difference is better drive education, and they actually enforce road laws that do make a difference like following too closely. From my experience there is very rare for them to actually pull people over for speeding but they have tons of traps for people driving too close. In fact next to the overpasses they have white lines painted on the road, and they haves cameras. If the lead car passes the 2nd line, and the following car is over the 1st line they push a button which takes a snapshot of the offender following too close. They just get a ticket in the mail. Here that is rarely enforced yet its a much higher safety risk than allowing properly spaced cars going 100 or higher. In modern cars 100 is not that unsafe on the right roads. I find it odd its perfectly find for a fully loaded 18 wheeler to go 69 down the interstate, and will not get a ticket yet Id likely get a ticket in my 350Z for going 80. Which is really the more risky vehicle to be on the road all else being equal? Over there they also get much more use out of automated signs to warn drivers, and they can implement lower speed limits in adverse conditions. They can even set different limits for each lane if needed. Ive driven all over Germany, and it was really rare to see a cop on the side of the road doing any speed enforcement, and not even close to what it is here.

Instead we have a racket going on in the US where in the name of "safety" speeding tickets are given out at much higher rates as an extra revenue source for local and state governments.

That was just one thing I liked about Germany. People are much better drivers, the roads much nicer, and you can actually get somewhere pretty damn quick without worrying about getting tickets. Driving here is like bashing your head into a wall repeatedly because road rules besides speeding are rarely enforced. Its mad max in comparison. Id like to see people in the passing lane who camp out there blocking traffic behind them ticketed as well as people who follow too close. But following too close would be largely cleared up. That usually happens when the road gets clogged up with people going 65 in the passing lane with a whole line of cars behind them, and then people are forced to pass on the right. People get agitated, and you get a whole line of cars with unsafe distances between them. If that were actually enforced (never seen it done one time) people would naturally spread out as the speed picked up to a reasonable level, and the "passing lane" could be used at intended.

But they'll just continue handing out tickets to people driving safely in a good modern car for going 5 over or whatever. Its easier, and makes lots of money.

chadbag
08-07-10, 12:39
Just look at the autobahn in Germany. Its safer to drive there than it is here despite the lack of speed limit in many places. Even the standard speed limit where there are limits is still higher than the average limit here. The difference is better drive education, and they actually enforce road laws that do make a difference like following too closely. From my experience there is very rare for them to actually pull people over for speeding but they have tons of traps for people driving too close. In fact next to the overpasses they have white lines painted on the road, and they haves cameras. If the lead car passes the 2nd line, and the following car is over the 1st line they push a button which takes a snapshot of the offender following too close. They just get a ticket in the mail. Here that is rarely enforced yet its a much higher safety risk than allowing properly spaced cars going 100 or higher. In modern cars 100 is not that unsafe on the right roads. I find it odd its perfectly find for a fully loaded 18 wheeler to go 69 down the interstate, and will not get a ticket yet Id likely get a ticket in my 350Z for going 80. Which is really the more risky vehicle to be on the road all else being equal? Over there they also get much more use out of automated signs to warn drivers, and they can implement lower speed limits in adverse conditions. They can even set different limits for each lane if needed. Ive driven all over Germany, and it was really rare to see a cop on the side of the road doing any speed enforcement, and not even close to what it is here.

Instead we have a racket going on in the US where in the name of "safety" speeding tickets are given out at much higher rates as an extra revenue source for local and state governments.

That was just one thing I liked about Germany. People are much better drivers, the roads much nicer, and you can actually get somewhere pretty damn quick without worrying about getting tickets.

100% agree. Some things to note

Places of unlimited speed in Germany are not that many any more due to congestion and growth. But even then, the speed limit is usually higher than here when not near urban areas.

German Autobahns are in much better physical condition than most US freeways. You get a crack or other deformity in the road and they post a speed limit -- usually 120 kph.

As mentioned, German drivers are probably overall better drivers. They get their license earliest at 18 and it is very expensive to get. And the ramifications of screwing up are also more drastic in many cases.

The cars there are also in better condition overall due to the very extensive and expensive semi-annual inspections that the cars have to undergo. When I had to have my car inspected at the TüV it was expensive and took quite a long time. IIRC I had to have an appointment due to that (it has been almost 20 years since I did the TüV thing myself).

As I mentioned in M4C before, I actually got pulled over on the autobahn. My rear license plate was dirty from road grime and that is why I got pulled over. Just got a warning.

The US needs to forget about enforcing speeding laws that are enforced for revenue only. It is not about safety (last time I looked per capita accidents in Germany were the same or fewer than here and even their small state highways, one lane each direction, non divided usually have 120kph / 73 mph speed limits). Enforce the driving to close laws, and driving to endanger laws (eg, weaving in and out of traffic) if you want safety.

Fyrhazzrd
08-07-10, 12:43
It is mostly about the money. Tickets/fines are a huge revenue source.

I think it was last year but there was a county comissioner whining about how ticket writings had gone down, and now the county was going to be missing out on around 750k in revenue. They had actually writen their budget based on ticket revenue expectations.

Theres one town up by Dallas that actually writes more tickets than they have residents.....a "speed trap" down that they make huge bucks off of.

That was just one thing I liked about Germany. People are much better drivers, the roads much nicer, and you can actually get somewhere pretty damn quick without worrying about getting tickets. Driving here is like bashing your head into a wall repeatedly because road rules besides speeding are rarely enforced. Its mad max in comparison. Id like to see people in the passing lane who camp out there blocking traffic behind them ticketed as well as people who follow too close. But following too close would be largely cleared up. That usually happens when the road gets clogged up with people going 65 in the passing lane with a whole line of cars behind them, and then people are forced to pass on the right. People get agitated, and you get a whole line of cars with unsafe distances between them. If that were actually enforced (never seen it done one time) people would naturally spread out as the speed picked up to a reasonable level, and the "passing lane" could be used at intended.

But they'll just continue handing out tickets to people driving safely in a good modern car for going 5 over or whatever. Its easier, and makes lots of money.

I completely agree with everything you said. Ticketing has never been about public safety and has always been about generating revenue. Same with Seat Belts. They can say it's about safety all they want, but they could give a rats ass about our safety. They just want the Benjamin's. If they cared about our safety they would require roll cages, helmets, and fire suits every time we got in a car.

And don't get me started on school buses. A child under 100LBS has to be in a booster seat when riding in a car. But they are free to bounce around unrestrained all day long in a school bus.

Irish
08-07-10, 12:49
Montana is a good example in America. After they reinstated a speed limit fatal accidents went up 111% http://www.motorists.org/press/montana-no-speed-limit-safety-paradox Try Googling: Montana reasonable and prudent.

Army Chief
08-07-10, 13:03
I'll not reiterate the points which have already been so capably made, but this is perhaps the single greatest thing that has made adjusting to life back in the US just a bit more difficult.

In Germany, Polizei officers are free to concentrate upon crime and community policing, since they spend very little time in any kind of traffic enforcement. As stated, most of that is automated. I routinely traveled at speeds well over 120 mph on the Autobahns, and it was all a complete non-event. Did it daily for nearly 10 years, in fact, and wasn't killed even once. Imagine that.

Over here, those roles seem to be reversed. Traffic enforcement sems to be the primary function of law enforcement, and I actually pity the officers who are expected to spend most of their patrol time dealing with motorists, most of whom are committing fairly innocuous offenses. Granted, 5 mph over the limit in a playground zone might actually be a big deal, but 15-20 mph over on the interstate is harmless in the overwhelming majority of situations. Our speed limits are, like so many of our laws, designed to the lowest common denominator standard.

Whatever the case, Maryland is simply mean-spirited about the whole thing, and notwithstanding the respect I have for those in civil authority, I would find it very difficult to listen to the speech about safety and slowing down if I were pinched going 5 mph over the limit on I-95.

AC

Belmont31R
08-07-10, 13:07
100% agree. Some things to note

Places of unlimited speed in Germany are not that many any more due to congestion and growth. But even then, the speed limit is usually higher than here when not near urban areas.

German Autobahns are in much better physical condition than most US freeways. You get a crack or other deformity in the road and they post a speed limit -- usually 120 kph.

As mentioned, German drivers are probably overall better drivers. They get their license earliest at 18 and it is very expensive to get. And the ramifications of screwing up are also more drastic in many cases.

The cars there are also in better condition overall due to the very extensive and expensive semi-annual inspections that the cars have to undergo. When I had to have my car inspected at the TüV it was expensive and took quite a long time. IIRC I had to have an appointment due to that (it has been almost 20 years since I did the TüV thing myself).

As I mentioned in M4C before, I actually got pulled over on the autobahn. My rear license plate was dirty from road grime and that is why I got pulled over. Just got a warning.

The US needs to forget about enforcing speeding laws that are enforced for revenue only. It is not about safety (last time I looked per capita accidents in Germany were the same or fewer than here and even their small state highways, one lane each direction, non divided usually have 120kph / 73 mph speed limits). Enforce the driving to close laws, and driving to endanger laws (eg, weaving in and out of traffic) if you want safety.

In TX you have to have annual inspections, too.

But I was stationed in Germany from 2003-2007. Outside of the cities its usually unlimited, and even in the cities its 120K's which is still faster than the average US speed limit, and definitely faster than our cities. I was near Frankfurt, and once you got outside of the metro areas it went to unlimited. I used to ride my bike to Frankfurt Airport and back....most of it was unlimited.

And yes our roads are like wagon trails compared to the autobahn. I still think most of our roads could handle up to 100 pretty easy. Hell its not uncommon in TX to have hwy's (not interstates) at 65 and 70.

The thing is in reality on the roads most people are driving above the speed limit anyways. They are not set to meet actual driving habits but some arbitrary set of rules that dictate what the speed limit should be. That means an LEO could easily go onto just about any road here, and find someone to write a ticket to in less than a minute. I drive up to Dallas at least once a month from Austin, and there is always DPS all over the place as well as local LE. People will be cruising at 80-85, and then everyone slams on their brakes almost causing an accident just because an LEO is running radar on the side of the road hiding behind a tree or road sign. But that 18 wheeler loaded to 60,000lbs (or more) with retreads going 69 flies by because they are going under the speed limit. It makes zero sense. As far as I know the US is one of the very few countries that allow trucks to run retreaded tires, and they blow out all the time. The roads are littered with that crap, and Ive seen at least 3 people get ****ed up by them. I hit a chunk last weekend but luckily it didn't do any damage. Last accident with one I saw a guy in a SUV ran over a piece of tread, and it tore the underside of his car up. Fluids were pouring all over the place. On my Tennessee trip I passed a truck that had 2 blown out tires. Why these are still allowed to be used I have no idea. They are very dangerous even to cars.

Oh we also allow people to drive up to .08 alcohol.

Oh and its not like I get tickets. The last ticket I got was in 2005, and when I was home on leave. I was used to driving the autobahn, and got popped in west Texas for going 91 in an 75. Just a local department that probably makes lot of money patrolling the interstate, and I think it might have even been from that county I mentioned where they were complaining ticket revenues were down creating a 750k budget gap. Ive never even been pulled over in my 350Z which Ive had since early 2007 when I got stationed in the US. Has to be a record for a young guy in a sports car or maybe Im just lucky....(runs and knocks on wood). I did get rid of my bike because there's almost no point in having one here. 3 seconds, and Im over just about any speed limit in the US, and Id have lost my license in about a week if I rode it here like I was able to there.

Funny store but once in Germany we were coming back from Hohenfels I think after being there a month. Somehow our convoy got split up because of some retards, and I had to take the lead of about 5 other trucks because the idiot that got separated didn't know how to get back. I had to keep our truck floored almost the entire time to keep up with traffic, and I was towing a 5k generator. I had the needle almost make a complete 360 rotation on some down hills. :p

Irish
08-07-10, 13:08
Very similar thread concerning VA: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49489 Nearly 7000 tickets issued in one weekend. Let's try not to get this thread close ;)

Belmont31R
08-07-10, 13:25
I'll not reiterate the points which have already been so capably made, but this is perhaps the single greatest thing that has made adjusting to life back in the US just a bit more difficult.

In Germany, Polizei officers are free to concentrate upon crime and community policing, since they spend very little time in any kind of traffic enforcement. As stated, most of that is automated. I routinely traveled at speeds well over 120 mph on the Autobahns, and it was all a complete non-event. Did it daily for nearly 10 years, in fact, and wasn't killed even once. Imagine that.

Over here, those roles seem to be reversed. Traffic enforcement sems to be the primary function of law enforcement, and I actually pity the officers who are expected to spend most of their patrol time dealing with motorists, most of whom are committing fairly innocuous offenses. Granted, 5 mph over the limit in a playground zone might actually be a big deal, but 15-20 mph over on the interstate is harmless in the overwhelming majority of situations. Our speed limits are, like so many of our laws, designed to the lowest common denominator standard.

Whatever the case, Maryland is simply mean-spirited about the whole thing, and notwithstanding the respect I have for those in civil authority, I would find it very difficult to listen to the speech about safety and slowing down if I were pinched going 5 mph over the limit on I-95.

AC

Compared to DE I almost hate having to drive here, and I really hate almost every time Im behind the wheel seeing mutliple LEO's out running radar handing out tickets for something that really isn't dangerous.

Ive actually read about a lot of localities going to tickets for 5 over with no discretion. Austin recently did that, and of course they were crying about budget cuts at the same time. Anyone with a brain can put 2 and 2 together. Now its not unusual to drive through the city, and see 5-10 people pulled over.

Fyrhazzrd
08-07-10, 13:33
Isn't it illegal to figure fines into a municipalities budget? I thought I read something about that a long time ago. I know it probably doesn't really apply to this sort of scenario, but I was thinking it was something along the lines of taxation without representation.

Palmguy
08-07-10, 13:42
Well said Belmont...I agree.

I completely agree with everything you said. Ticketing has never been about public safety and has always been about generating revenue. Same with Seat Belts. They can say it's about safety all they want, but they could give a rats ass about our safety. They just want the Benjamin's. If they cared about our safety they would require roll cages, helmets, and fire suits every time we got in a car.

And don't get me started on school buses. A child under 100LBS has to be in a booster seat when riding in a car. But they are free to bounce around unrestrained all day long in a school bus.

And motorcycles would be totally illegal.

rickrock305
08-07-10, 14:09
down here in Florida I've been seeing a LOT more speed traps set up. they just park on the side of the road and walk out in front of your car to stop you. and business has been booming for them!

rickrock305
08-07-10, 14:10
Compared to DE I almost hate having to drive here,

having grown up in DE, i miss driving there so much. don't appreciate deserted backroads until you move someplace where nearly every road is a multilane highway

parishioner
08-07-10, 14:40
From a friend that would know. Of course the real reason is money, not safety.

Funny. I got an identical text message from my dad saying Louisiana State Troopers instead of Maryland . Hmmm.

Army Chief
08-07-10, 15:27
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I love our country, and would die for it without a moment's hesitation, but when it comes to the intangible feeling of having great personal freedoms, Germany absolutely blows our doors off. I know that sounds absurd (and might not even truly be the case), but it remains my firm conviction.

AC

Belmont31R
08-07-10, 15:54
Funny. I got an identical text message from my dad saying Louisiana State Troopers instead of Maryland . Hmmm.

I just drove through LA last weekend, and they were quite "busy". Of course traffic slowed way down, and it took forever to get through the state only going 60-65. I even saw a couple Border Patrol vehicles in the center median, and I never see them even living in central TX.

Belmont31R
08-07-10, 16:11
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I love our country, and would die for it without a moment's hesitation, but when it comes to the intangible feeling of having great personal freedoms, Germany absolutely blows our doors off. I know that sounds absurd (and might not even truly be the case), but it remains my firm conviction.

AC

I feel pretty much the same way. Day to day life there is not so full of the nanny state rules we have here. You don't feel like you have the state breathing down your neck at every turn.

I had to do a double take the other day at Wal Mart when I got carded for buying windshield washer fluid. Funny I never got carded a single time in Germany off post for anything but I come back here, and get carded to buy some soapy water let alone any tobacco, alcohol or heaven forbid some Sudafed in which you get treated like you're trying to cook some meth now.

But I also enjoy cheap gas, guns, and the wide open spaces we have here....:cool:

GermanSynergy
08-07-10, 17:19
Bottom line- these states are broke and are going to dip into your pocket to make up for lost revenues....

Business_Casual
08-07-10, 17:30
Bottom line- these states are broke and are going to dip into your pocket to make up for lost revenues....

I agree, but they aren't broke; they just refuse to fire the people on the bloated state payrolls and cut their overly generous pension plans back.

I hate, absolutely hate, the traffic in NoVA. Most of the problem, in my opinion, is poorly trained drivers and LCD traffic laws. That and they haven't built a new road in 20 years.

I've only visited Germany a few times and I really enjoyed it. I can't recall seeing a patrol car on the autobahn and I drove from Amsterdam to Hamburg and back.

B_C

Army Chief
08-07-10, 18:28
But I also enjoy cheap gas, guns, and the wide open spaces we have here....:cool:

That's worth an "Amen." =]

AC

tampam4
08-07-10, 18:49
When I got my learners permit 4 years ago when visiting the States from Iceland, I was amazed at how little driving we actually had to do under supervision, and also how much we had to learn ad read about the effects of alcohol and drugs etc. For my learners permit, I drove a tiny course for 5 minutes, and I never broke 25mph.

In Iceland, you have to have a minimum of 10 sessions with a driving instructor (sessions ranged from an hour to two hours of driving around town, gravel roads, snow and ice if in winter etc, ) before you got your learners permit.

I believe it's in Finland where they actually take you out on a skidpad and have you train with an instructor there to get your license, so you actually know what it feels like to hydroplane, understeer and oversteer.

Cagemonkey
08-07-10, 19:30
Too bad there wasn't money in catching real criminals, like pedophiles, rapists and murderers.

Belmont31R
08-07-10, 19:39
I agree, but they aren't broke; they just refuse to fire the people on the bloated state payrolls and cut their overly generous pension plans back.

I hate, absolutely hate, the traffic in NoVA. Most of the problem, in my opinion, is poorly trained drivers and LCD traffic laws. That and they haven't built a new road in 20 years.

I've only visited Germany a few times and I really enjoyed it. I can't recall seeing a patrol car on the autobahn and I drove from Amsterdam to Hamburg and back.

B_C

Most states are facing some form of budget cut backs, and that filters down to the counties and cities. One way or another tickets are a major source of revenue for local governments.

I never saw US style traffic enforcement in Germany or any other European country. Ive been to just about every Western European country, and never once saw the pack like radar/laser traps they run here. In fact the majority of the Polizei presence I saw was on foot walking the streets in the city. I never see any LEO here on foot anymore. Its all motorized mainly running traffic.

Army Chief
08-07-10, 19:49
I never saw US style traffic enforcement in Germany or any other European country.

I'd have to ask a close friend who is a Polizei officer in Hessen to be sure, but I remember him telling me once that traffic fines and such go to a consolidated account at the state or federal level, so there is no incentive to write tickets as a means of aumenting local/municipal budgets.

AC

chadbag
08-07-10, 20:03

AC

Only in regards to driving. Otherwise, if you actually have to deal with their bureaucracy, day to day living and all the dumb crap you put up with, registering with the govt when you move to a new city (both leaving and coming) etc you lose that feeling quickly.

Addendum: but in a lot of ways AC is right since the lack of stupid things like being carded for everything here and the more arbitrariness of a lot of the crap in the US. In Germany all the crap seems to be well defined.

But most definitely when driving. I could drive there without stress and being up tight. Here you drive always looking for the cop car (even if you aren't speeding it becomes so ingrained). There you just drive.

chadbag
08-07-10, 20:16
In TX you have to have annual inspections, too.

We have them in Utah too, once the car is more than like 5 or 6 years old, otherwise it is every other year or something like that.

It is not the existence of the inspection. It is that the German inspection is much more intensive (and expensive and time consuming). I would bet real money that the TX inspection is no where near a visit to the TüV

But I was stationed in Germany from 2003-2007. Outside of the cities its usually unlimited, and even in the cities its 120K's which is still faster than the average US speed limit, and definitely faster than our cities. I was near Frankfurt, and once you got outside of the metro areas it went to unlimited. I used to ride my bike to Frankfurt Airport and back....most of it was unlimited.

I was only up in the Frankfurt area a few times and don't remember that much. I was in the Frankfurt area for a single adult conference around New Years (1991/92) and had to leave early as I had to go in to work over the long Christmas -- New Years -- Epiphany (3 Kings Day) holiday to provide IT support for year end closings stuff and I did not leave the Frankfurt area until after 9pm and got to my house around midnight. And that was just 50 miles NE of Munich... The only problem is that you could watch the gas gauge moving down as your drove. I mean actually see it move, not just that it was moved each time you glanced at it :-)

Coming out of Munich there is a lot less open speed limit areas. The A8 to Stuttgart does not open up until you are within 45 minutes of Stuttgart (more or less). At least it didn't every time I have been there, for any appreciable distances. You might see some very short stretches before you get close to Stuttgart and it opens up to like 5 lanes. It has been 10 years since the last time. Once you got a bit north of Munich and onto the A92 towards Passau you were good to go. I did not go on the A9 past that turn off very many times so don't know how the A9 towards Regensburg is. I only went down towards Salzburg a few times and it opened up pretty good once you were a ways outside of Munich.

I've read that more and more sections of the Autobahn are getting speed limits due to urban growth outward and increased traffic but from a pure basis of distance with and without speedlimits, the without speedlimits is still by far the most prevalent I would guess (and a quick Google search shows a few articles that say that over 1/2 or up to 2/3 is limitless)

Army Chief
08-07-10, 20:25
It's true that we do a lot more driving than we do shooting (or most other things), so this may be a disproportionate impression; that said, the Germans don't share our litigous tendencies, so the concept of personal responsibility and "big boy rules" seem to go a long way over there.

Want to go to a castle and hang off of the edge of the tower without a safety net? Knock yourself out. Want to go to a go kart track and drive an ungoverned kart that could seriously mangle you if you hit a wall? Go right ahead. Want to turn a lap on the most beautiful (and dangerous) race track on the planet just as fast as you can manage it? Be our guest. Want to drink a beer with your teenage son? Prost!

Sure, there are plenty of ways in which Germany is actually more restrictive, but for whatever reason, I still felt freedoms over there that we will never have, largely our laws are Hell-bent on saving idiots from themselves. Their laws seem to be geared more toward keeping things in order, and making sure you understand that you'll be held to account for your own actions. Frankly, I like that approach because stupid should hurt.

AC

Spiffums
08-07-10, 20:30
Here is a good example of Safety vs Taxes. We had to pass last year a Restaurant Bill...... well it was liquor by the drink. This hole that could never get a business going was one of the 1st new Bar and Grills...... more bar than grill. It is PACKED every night of the week. Now if just half of the people driving were over the legal limit you could make a killing off DUIs........

No such luck...... they make more taxes off the drinking than the DUI fines so you never see a cop there for anything other than traffic control as the bar closes down.

Business_Casual
08-07-10, 23:07
Here is a good example of Safety vs Taxes. We had to pass last year a Restaurant Bill...... well it was liquor by the drink. This hole that could never get a business going was one of the 1st new Bar and Grills...... more bar than grill. It is PACKED every night of the week. Now if just half of the people driving were over the legal limit you could make a killing off DUIs........

No such luck...... they make more taxes off the drinking than the DUI fines so you never see a cop there for anything other than traffic control as the bar closes down.

Well, it is a also a good example of what a lot of citizens where you live want as well. If you think of it from that perspective.

And before you bring up the DUI angle, just remember that MAD is already advocating a 0 BAC limit, so much for reasonable restrictions. MAD is just the temperance movement in newer clothes. There is always someone who wants to ban whatever.

B_C

Cascades236
08-08-10, 15:48
Also was in Germany, MTV! I've done 150mph and the driving culture is so good that people have moved over for you long before you catch up to them. Here in the us, people think the left lane is a parking spot.

Hate to see le used for revenue generation, does nothing for public relations. But the people instituting these policies are desk riders so what do they care? They need their office remodeled or another assistant so cha ching. Big gov needs money? Start by instituiting some accountability to social services...we hand that stuff out like candy.

dwhitehorne
08-09-10, 08:17
I work in MD on the BW parkway. I asked MSP yesterday about 5 over. Said he didn't know anything about it. David

Alex V
08-09-10, 09:02

DO I HAVE A STORY FOR YOU!

I was on the way to the track a while back in the Trans Am. The car runs low 10's @ 132mph + in the 1/4 mile at the time. Has a 6 point roll bar [cage is 10 point with bars going forward of the main hoop intot he dash, required at 9.99 or faster] I was wearing a 2 layer fire jacket, SFi Approved, and even though the car does not have regular/factory seatbelts, it has 5 point cam-lock harnesses on both sides, also SFi Approved. The harness is mounted directly to the roll bar, and anchor points on the frame. My helmet was in the passenger side seat. I figured having the helmet on on the NJ TurnPike would make me look like a retard.

I was pulled over, and given a "Failure to wear a Seatbelt" !!!!!!!

I was told that I have to wear my factory belt since the 5 point, 3" wide webbing harness that is approved for cars running 7.50 @ over 250mph by the NHRA and approved by the FIA to be in a World Rally car as well as GP2 and Formula 3, a harness that does not give, will not move and has a strap going between my legs to the frame to keep me in my seat if the car rolls over, if not as safe as a factory POS one sholder and lap seatbelt and was not an approved safety device for use on the highway!

Safety my ass!

Fyrhazzrd
08-09-10, 09:21
DO I HAVE A STORY FOR YOU!

I was on the way to the track a while back in the Trans Am. The car runs low 10's @ 132mph + in the 1/4 mile at the time. Has a 6 point roll bar [cage is 10 point with bars going forward of the main hoop intot he dash, required at 9.99 or faster] I was wearing a 2 layer fire jacket, SFi Approved, and even though the car does not have regular/factory seatbelts, it has 5 point cam-lock harnesses on both sides, also SFi Approved. The harness is mounted directly to the roll bar, and anchor points on the frame. My helmet was in the passenger side seat. I figured having the helmet on on the NJ TurnPike would make me look like a retard.

I was pulled over, and given a "Failure to wear a Seatbelt" !!!!!!!

I was told that I have to wear my factory belt since the 5 point, 3" wide webbing harness that is approved for cars running 7.50 @ over 250mph by the NHRA and approved by the FIA to be in a World Rally car as well as GP2 and Formula 3, a harness that does not give, will not move and has a strap going between my legs to the frame to keep me in my seat if the car rolls over, if not as safe as a factory POS one sholder and lap seatbelt and was not an approved safety device for use on the highway!

Safety my ass!

Wow, I don't know what to say to that. Did you fight it? I know I would have.

I had a 5 point harness + 6 point roll bar in my Nova and have been pulled over many times. And never had any issues about it. Before I got my 5 point harness I did receive a ticket for not wearing a shoulder belt. I told the officer that the car did not come with one from the factory. He proceeded to tell me that I needed to retrofit one then, because state law requires that you have a shoulder belt.

Alex V
08-09-10, 09:50
Wow, I don't know what to say to that. Did you fight it? I know I would have.

I had a 5 point harness + 6 point roll bar in my Nova and have been pulled over many times. And never had any issues about it. Before I got my 5 point harness I did receive a ticket for not wearing a shoulder belt. I told the officer that the car did not come with one from the factory. He proceeded to tell me that I needed to retrofit one then, because state law requires that you have a shoulder belt.

No. Ticket was $44, it was not worth taking the day off of work and loosing the time. Just went online and paid the ticket.

Here's another story!

On the way back from a car gathering in Philly where someone wanted to race me, but backed out because they saw the roll bar and the slicks and skinnies a cop pulls me over for "Driving with two donuts" on the front.

My GF in the passenger side seat is pooping herself in fear.

I explain, "Sir, those are 'skinnies' they are specificaly made wheels and tires to reduce weight on drag race cars"
Cop: Were you racing?
Me: No sir.
Cop: Well, I don't think those tires are safe.
Me: Sir, those tires are DOT approved for highway use.
Cop: Son, do you want trouble, they are not!
Me: Sir, if you like, I can show you
Cop: Okay, come on out here and show me

I asked him to shine his flashlight on the tire right where it had the DOT approval and tire rating.

Now, note he said TIRES, not rims. Rims say specificaly "NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE" but he said tires, and did not look at the rim. So he told me that I was a "Wise ass" and let me go.

Some cops, if not familliar with some car components, do not even know what is safe and what is not. He just wanted to give me a ticket for "Failure to repair" or something. Nothing to do with actual safety. The DOT says its safe, but he not only did not know what they were, but even upon learning thought they were unsafe. Safe for taking the front of the car 1 foot off the ground, comming back down and running 130+ mph out the back and then slowing down to turn off, but not safe for 65mph on the Turnpike :rolleyes:

I was also pulled over for having slicks on the back of the car in the middle of the summer on a day with not a cloud in the sky. For those who know race tires, they were Mickey Thompson ET Streets. They are slicks, but DOT approved lol. Same explinations, cop let me go with far less drama than the previous story. THAT guy was cool about it, even asked me about the car. If it was raining, sure, I am unsafe. But in the middle of the summer, on dry roads. Is it really unsafe to be on a soft compund tire that would give me more traction?

NCPatrolAR
08-09-10, 10:15
Closed since it's turning a gripe-fest about getting tickets and the tired-old "it's about revenue" schtick

NCPatrolAR
08-09-10, 14:40
Did some looking and found this:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp