PDA

View Full Version : M&P45 Lego? Slide/barrel from C to Full Size frame?

DHart
08-07-10, 23:46
A thought occurred to me tonight... I'm wondering if I can essentially have all three sizes of M&P45 by buying two guns....

I've looked around a bit on the S&W website and it appears as though the M&P45 4.5" is identical to the M&P45 4", aside from barrel/slide length... is that right? Same frame, just slightly longer upper?

So... if I bought an M&P45 4.5" (full size) and an M&P45C (compact), could I run the slide/barrel from the 45C on the full size frame and thereby make my own M&P45 4" (midsize)?

Basically, then, buying 2 guns would give me all three M&P45 models, right?

Lastly... what's the consensus on thumb safety? I wouldn't mind having one, but I'd be happy without one as well, and I have read of a number of people taking them off. Do most seem to prefer without?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Bubba FAL
08-08-10, 01:25
Interesting concept, surprised no one's tried it yet.

As to the thumb safety on an M&P, neither of my M&Ps have a thumb safety and I don't miss it. I use the "finger" safety concept. Specifically - keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to shoot. Works for me...

Mike169
08-09-10, 07:25
I'm fairly sure this has been successfully done, check over on mp-pistol, I bet there's a thread about it there...

SteveL
08-09-10, 07:33
That is an interesting idea. If you try it I hope you'll post back with your results. Of course, with the investment cost of 2 pistols I certainly hope it works out.

I also agree with Bubba FAL above about the thumb safety on the M&P pistols. Finger off the trigger til you're ready to shoot.

DHart
08-09-10, 15:36
MP-forum member stumpjumper switched top ends on his M&P45 FS and M&P45 Compact and said the fit was fine on both and both ran just fine! He wasn't real happy with the feel of the long slide on the compact frame, but said the swap resulted in no operational issues. So, if you have a FS and a C, looks like you can make yourself a Midsize. That's awesome.

In a sense, then... buy TWO, get ONE FREE! Yeehaw!

crossgun
08-09-10, 21:13
YES you could do that. They sale full size frame with 4" and 4.5 barrel. Compact frame is sold with only 4" barrel.

I went the other way with the long slide on the compact frame. See the pics https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35104