PDA

View Full Version : Glock "C" models

platoonDaddy
08-08-10, 05:27
Is the advantage of the compensated barrel for target shooting only?

As you can tell from my question, I don't understand the reason for a compensated barrel.

variablebinary
08-08-10, 06:15

As you can tell from my question, I don't understand the reason for a compensated barrel.

Reduced recoil with increased noise and flash.

platoonDaddy
08-08-10, 08:41
Reduced recoil with increased noise and flash.

With the increase flash, certainly would suck if you were using NVG's.

jahwarrior1423
08-08-10, 10:25
With the increase flash, certainly would suck if you were using NVG's.

He stated for target shooting :confused:

gringop
08-08-10, 12:04

Because people will buy them, thinking that it will give them some kind of advantage.

Technically, they are not compensated, they are ported. Compensators go on the end of the barrel and have various chambers and ports that use the gas to apply forward force to the barrel to counteract recoil.

Ports are holes drilled in the barrel to let gases vent upwards and counteract muzzle rise. Neither ports nor comps work very well unless you have a magnum or other large gas producing cartridge.
Hot loaded 38 Super or SuperComp, 9mm Major, 357 SIG, and the various magnum revolver cartidges can make ports and comps work.
With factory 9mm, 40 S+W and 45 ACP they are a waste of time.

Gringop

Sry0fcr
08-08-10, 16:31
Because people will buy them, thinking that it will give them some kind of advantage.

Technically, they are not compensated, they are ported. Compensators go on the end of the barrel and have various chambers and ports that use the gas to apply forward force to the barrel to counteract recoil.

Ports are holes drilled in the barrel to let gases vent upwards and counteract muzzle rise. Neither ports nor comps work very well unless you have a magnum or other large gas producing cartridge.
Hot loaded 38 Super or SuperComp, 9mm Major, 357 SIG, and the various magnum revolver cartidges can make ports and comps work.
With factory 9mm, 40 S+W and 45 ACP they are a waste of time.

Gringop

I'll tend to agree with the above without having ever fired one of the C models. I haven't found the 17,19,21,22, or 23 to be uncontrollable or ever wished they were comped either, but that's just me.

Powder_Burn
08-08-10, 17:10
Myself and two others alternated between a G22 and G22C loaded with 165gr CCI Lawman at the range. To everyone's surprise, there was indeed a distinct difference in muzzle flip contrary to most of the theorizing I had read in online forums. For a games type role, might make sense.

djegators
08-08-10, 17:30
I just picked up a Glock 19C this weekend, have not shot it yet. Wasn't exactly what I wanted, but was close enough for the trade I made. I figure worse case scenario I trade it off again, or buy a non-ported barrel. Suppose I can report back after my range trip if I feel the ports help at all with target shooting.

shadow65
08-08-10, 17:45
I would think a ported model would lose velocity.

tampam4
08-08-10, 17:47
Slightly relevant. Posted by SWATcop1911 in a another thread about compensated pistols.

I would like to also add to the info re. compensated pistols. I was issued a Glock 31"C" for 5 years. It was not my choice but we weren't given an option and the powers that be felt that the C model was necessary for the .357 round (which is bullshit). I shot thousands and thousands of rounds through that pistol in daylight, low light, no light, interior light, exterior light, shooting from a dark room into light (and vice versa), shot from retention, under cars, out of cars, any possible lighting conditions and shooting positions and never had any issues with the C model blinding me, burning me, impairing my night vision, giving me low sperm count or anything else. While I agree that it is not the ideal fighting handgun out there I believe that 99.9% of the problems with them that are touted on the .dramanet are exactly that, over dramatics. The only time I found it to be an impairment was shooting in a shoothouse with night vision. Other than that, your focus is on other things and the flash (fireball of death) is over with in milliseconds.

shadow65
08-08-10, 18:10
We had a guy on the department that carried a C model. He never complained of any problems with flash.

usmcvet
08-09-10, 00:13
Quicker follow up shots. I don't have one but I would think quicker follow up shots would be a good thing on the street or on the range. Not sure about the increased flash. The photos with the flames are complete BS a Glock rep told me he lost it when he saw that. The photo was retouched using the photo of a torch to get the flames. It is urban ledgend.

-Wes-
08-09-10, 00:45
The local PD here carries G22C's. Only con I saw was the front sight getting blackened out, though I don't remember how many rounds it took. I don't really see it as being a problem, just noting.

Lumpy196
08-09-10, 10:00
Quicker follow up shots. I don't have one but I would think quicker follow up shots would be a good thing on the street or on the range.

Actually, I owned a Mag-na-ported Glock 21 years before the C models became available from the factory.

In MY hands, measured by an electronic timer, my "follow up shots" were not significantly different between the ported and stock models. Recoil felt different, "softer" if you will. That perception probably came from slightly reduced muzzle rise, but with aggressive recoil management techniques performance wasn't appreciably different.

I don't see much need for porting on a service pistol in a common service caliber. None of them recoil heavily enough to warrant it in my experience. I do like it on large bore magnum revolvers for no reason other than comfort.

uscbigdawg
08-09-10, 10:08
There's no appreciable difference between ports and a compensator. It's a nomenclature issue, if that much.

That said, you don't have to have super hot rounds for them to be effective. Any gas vented upwards is a positive effect on reducing muzzle rise. Reduced muzzle rise = gun back on target sooner.

As for flash, that can be greatly mitigated (to where it's ZERO) by powder selection on your reloads.

My current competition gun has a 4 port hybrid barrel, 2 side ports and a 3 port compensator. My load for 38 Super comes in right at 178 PF (in short, more energy than a 357 Magnum) and is quite manageable and no flash ('cause we occasionally shoot in houses).

I carry a G19C just about every day and just like when you're hunting with no ear plugs and you don't hear the gun go off, when you have a shoot situation, odds are you won't see the flash because you'll be a little busy focused on something else.

If even a little flash is what I have to deal with to have faster (and in turn more accurate) follow up shots occur on target, then I'll deal with it.

Rich

ETA: Dropping the weight of the recoil spring helps as much (if not more) on reducing muzzle rise on a Glock since they're WAAAAAY over-sprung from the factory.

Lumpy196
08-09-10, 10:37
There's no appreciable difference between ports and a compensator. It's a nomenclature issue, if that much.

Ports are cut into the barrel through the rifling.

Compensators are attached to the end of the barrel by threading and function by ports and baffles that direct the gases.

There are major differences in not on the nomenclature, but the design and the performance.

uscbigdawg
08-09-10, 10:38
Tastes great/less filling. :)

Rich

gringop
08-09-10, 11:45
Tastes great/less filling. :)

Rich

Comps work way differently than ports. If all comps did was redirect gas upwards then all you would need is a longer barrel with more ports on top. Comps have chambers with baffles or plates that have openings that are parallel to the muzzle and close to caliber size. It's the gasses impacting on these plates that push the barrel forward and reduce the rearward recoil impulse. Comps have top and side ports to stabilize the gun and direct some of the gases upward but the majority of the work is done with the forward force.

If folks like Glock C guns, great, shoot the heck out of them. But it would be interesting to see real data like the differences in split times on a Bill Drill between ported and not ported 9mm Glocks. My guess is that if the shooter has good grip and stance, the splits won't change much.

Gringop

uscbigdawg
08-09-10, 11:47
Dude...you're preaching to the choir. I shoot almost exclusively in USPSA Open Division and know where to find a comp and where to find ports, their effects on gas and the gun due to the Venturi jet principle, et. al.

My point is that port, comp, doo-hicky, thing-a-majig doesn't really matter. They do the same thing. Redirect gas to push the muzzle down.

Rich

Lumpy196
08-10-10, 10:00
Yes they do, but not to the same degree nor in exactly the same way. You're over simplifying things for the purpose of sounding cool on the internet.

And the terms are NOT interchangeable.

You are incorrect, no matter what you do on your weekends.

uscbigdawg
08-10-10, 11:51
I'm just simplifying because it's simple. No need to over complicate to sound like a Mythbuster. ;)

Rich

Crow Hunter
08-10-10, 14:49
My wife used to have a G19C. I didn't really notice a difference shooting standard 115gr target rounds.

That is, until I fired it under the covered part on the range at Land Between the Lakes one day.:jester:

Scared the Bejeezus out of me. I thought the gun had exploded for a second there.:haha:

There was a big difference in muzzle blast firing it under the cover vs firing it out in the "open". What startled me was the pressure wave. Very similar to firing from retention. No particulates or anything, just a disconcerting sinus cavity echoing boom that I wasn't prepared for.:blink: (And that smiley is pretty close to what I did after firing it, that and a WTF)

uscbigdawg
08-10-10, 14:53
^^^ That's awesome!

Rich

djegators
08-11-10, 20:38
Fwiw, I shot my G19c today for the first time. I only used target ammo, but I did feel the muzzle flip was lessened. Was a bit louder, but I was shooting from a covered stand. Nothing about it to make me want to shoot it less than my non "C" GLOCKS.