PDA

View Full Version : precision AR questions (ammo, range)

Wilco
08-08-10, 11:01
Howdy guys, from Texas.

I,m putting together a precision 20" colt AR. I'm using a Leuopold veri XIII as the scope and will be shooting from ranges of 50 yd to 400 yds about 95% of the time.

A few questions for you all.

1. For shooting between those ranges, what would would be the best ranged to zero my gun. 100 yds? 200 yds?

2. I've been seeing many different bullet weights and brands thrown around. I want to buy 500 rds of a really good mfg and weight to start practicing with. Can you recommend two or three?

Thanks!

hozer
08-08-10, 20:56
I run a 300 yard zero as most of my shots are between 250 and 425.

Less dialing.

For my 338 and 50 I use a 400 yard zero as most of my shooting with them is past 400, but sometimes I like to smack to steel at 300-400.

uscbigdawg
08-08-10, 21:14
1 - In 3-Gun we'll shoot anywhere from 5 feet to 500 yards. I have a hard 200 yard zero. With a majority of the longer shots being between 100 and 300, on a 10" plate, I'm on the plate 'til about 275. From there, it's just holding about 2" above.

200 yard zero is great for versatility across the course without dialing. If dialing, like for my 1k bolt rifles, I have a 100 yard zero and then dial from there.

Rich

Mo_Zam_Beek
08-09-10, 00:45
Need more info

What twist barrel?

What reticle does your optic have?

69's are going to be very good at the distances you listed.

Good luck

Wilco
08-09-10, 07:02
Thanks guys.

MZB, it is a 1/7 twist.

the reticle is just the plain jane Veri X III reticle.

I've hunted with that for so long i'm and i'm very comfortable with it. One day I might upgrade it to another...

Mo_Zam_Beek
08-09-10, 15:04
I use 77s, 100 yrd zero, and a MIL dot with 1/2 MIL hash marks. I know my dope out to 400, have 100 to 1k on the gun in 50 yrd increments and carry 50 to 1k in 25 yrd increments in the book.

That said, with what you are asking - I think 69s shoot a little tighter. If you mean you have duplex. You might consider using a chrono to get the velocity of your load and then using something like JMB to figure out the zero that has the least deviation over the distance that you will shoot. Record those drops. Go to the range draw on paper (and keep for record) what your reticle looks like when fractionalized to various sizes (in inches) at various distances. This fractionalized amount is the amount you will have to hold off / over if you do not dial.

Good luck

TAZ
08-15-10, 19:50
With a 1:7 twist youre most likely going to end up shooting the heavier rounds better 69-77gr. I say most likely because every rifle is different.

Before you plunk down half a grand for a 500rds of match grade ammo would strongly urge you to go out and buy a box or two of different makers' different loads to see what you and your rifle shoot the best. My SPR loves Federal GMM 77gr the best with Hornady 75gr coming in second. Black Hills, Federal and Hornady make some very good match ammo, so go have fun finding out what you and your gun like. Then you wont feel as bad when the CC bill comes and you see the $500+ hit for ammo cause you know it will shoot. Nothing says buyers remorse more than half a grand in ammo that shoots like crap out of your stick.