PDA

View Full Version : General Vehicle First Aid Kit

rob_s
08-09-10, 09:25
I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am never actually going to sit down and build my custom, perfect, ideal, uber-kit. This means that I need to simply buy a pre-packaged kit, or kits, to keep in the vehicle(s). Can anyone make a recommendation for something like this? I'm looking for something that can cover the booboos that kids and women tend to get and want tended (small bandaids, neosporin-type ointment, etc.) as well as potential larger issues that may be encountered in the wilderness with an hour or more to a hospital.

I know that this is a tall order, I know that this is a lot to ask, I know that no kit is "ones size fits all", etc. The problem is that a 75% solution in the car is far better than a 100% solution in my head and I'd feel a lot better just being able to order something and have maybe more than I need even if I have to spend more than I should. Hopefully that makes sense.

Dale Gribble
08-09-10, 09:48
I keep this one in the truck but added a few odds and ends such as an extra roll of ace bandage, a couple QuikClot ACS sponges and a one hand tourniquet.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/LifeLine-Base-Camp-First-Aid-Kit/13848572?sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13848572

chuckman
08-09-10, 10:33
Actually, not so tall an order. While you are right in that there are really no "one size fits all" kits, there are several that are "one size fits most," which is what you want.

I like this kit. It is relatively inexpensive, has 99% of what you need, and is pre-packaged. Add a tourniquet, a QuikClot, an Israeli bandage or Olaes, and you will be good to go for just about anything.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01017/medical_kits/-Adventure-Medical-Kits-World-Travel-Medical-Kit

I really like Adventure Medical, and used them when tasked to come up with "a military-grade kit that doesn't scream military" for a client.

C4IGrant
08-09-10, 10:51
I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am never actually going to sit down and build my custom, perfect, ideal, uber-kit. This means that I need to simply buy a pre-packaged kit, or kits, to keep in the vehicle(s). Can anyone make a recommendation for something like this? I'm looking for something that can cover the booboos that kids and women tend to get and want tended (small bandaids, neosporin-type ointment, etc.) as well as potential larger issues that may be encountered in the wilderness with an hour or more to a hospital.

I know that this is a tall order, I know that this is a lot to ask, I know that no kit is "ones size fits all", etc. The problem is that a 75% solution in the car is far better than a 100% solution in my head and I'd feel a lot better just being able to order something and have maybe more than I need even if I have to spend more than I should. Hopefully that makes sense.

This is a good idea and one I have thought about for awhile now. The two biggest things that I want in the car with me is a tourniquet and some sort of clotting agent. If I can stop the bleeding for an hour or so, I should be able to make it.

C4

Dale Gribble
08-09-10, 10:58
Actually, not so tall an order. While you are right in that there are really no "one size fits all" kits, there are several that are "one size fits most," which is what you want.

I like this kit. It is relatively inexpensive, has 99% of what you need, and is pre-packaged. Add a tourniquet, a QuikClot, an Israeli bandage or Olaes, and you will be good to go for just about anything.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01017/medical_kits/-Adventure-Medical-Kits-World-Travel-Medical-Kit

I really like Adventure Medical, and used them when tasked to come up with "a military-grade kit that doesn't scream military" for a client.

I like the layout of that

rob_s
08-09-10, 11:04

Thanks for the link. They have a chart (http://www.chinookmed.com/KitComparisonChart09.pdf)!

Led me to this, which is quite a bit bigger and more expensive but potentially worth it.
http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01001/medical_kits/-Adventure-Medical-Kits-Comprehensive-Kit-------

http://www.chinookmed.com/mas_assets/full/01001.jpg

Contents:

Bandage Materials

10 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"

10 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle

2 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3"

2 Bandage, Stockinette Tubular, 1" x 4"

4 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2

4 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4" x 4", Pkg./2

4 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"

2 Eye Pad, Sterile

Bleeding

3 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe (Intl)

1 Instructions, Easy Care Bleeding

1 Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"

1 Trauma Pad, 8" x 10"

Blister / Burn

1 Aloe Vera Gel with Lidocaine, 1 oz

2 GlacierGel (Small Rectangular)

1 Molefoam, 3" x 5"

22 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped

CPR

1 CPR Face Shield, Laerdal

1 Instructions, Easy Care CPR

Dental

1 Dentemp, Filling Mixture with Pain Relief

Duct Tape

1 Duct Tape, 2" x 5 Yards

Fracture / Sprain

1 Bandage, Elastic with Velcro, 3"

2 Bandage, Triangular

1 Instructions, Easy Care Fracture & Sprain

1 SAM® Splint, 4" x 36"

Instrument

1 EMT Shears, 4"

1 Pencil 3 Safety Pins

1 Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps

1 Thermometer, Digital

Medical Information

1 Comp. Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine

3 Patient Assessment Form

Medication

5 Acetaminophen (500 mg), Pkg./2

3 After Bite Wipe

1 Antacid, Pkg./12

6 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)

2 Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2

5 Cold Medicine, Medicidin-D, Pkg./2

3 Cortisone Cream 1%, 1/32 oz (.9 g)

6 Diamode (Loperamide HCI 2 mg), Pkg./1

1 Glutose Paste (Glucose 15 g)

5 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2

1 Instructions, Easy Care Medications

2 Oral Rehydration Salts

Other

2 Aloksak Waterproof Bag, 6" x 9"

2 Plastic Vial, Flip-top, Large

2 Plastic Vial, Flip-top, Small

Survival Tools

1 Matches, Waterproof

Suture / Syringe

1 Scalpel, Sterile, Disposable, #11 Blade

Wound Care

6 After Cuts & Scrapes Anethestic/Antiseptic Wipe

2 Cotton Tip Applicator, Pkg./2

1 Instructions, Easy Care Wound

2 Povidone Iodine, 3/4 oz

1 Scrub Brush, Sterile

1 Syringe, Irrigation, 20 cc, 18 Gauge Tip

1 Tape, 1" x 10 Yards

3 Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive, Vial

4 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use
1 Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 4", Pkg./10

chuckman
08-09-10, 11:49
Yes, Rob, they have a chart. I knew you'd appreciate that! :) Perhaps if I, too, had done due diligence by looking at charts prior to investing in the AR world I would be better off now...

The comprehensive kit is really good, and for just a few dollars more, you can stock the items that are in the expedition kit over time if you think they are things you could use.

The only thing I would add is get a small molle bag, use one of the aloksaks, or even a gallon-sized plastic baggie would do, for a TQ/compression bandage set up, just for a grab-and-go/SHTF type of thing. It would fit right in the middle of this kit.

I made kits for clients from different walks of life and I really like and recommend Adventure Medical, especially when travelling abroad when carrying something in cammo or OD green can get you in trouble.

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-09-10, 12:23
I concur with chuckman, great recommendation and especially the point with the TK, QuikClot and ETDs (that can be added to your order). Atwater Carey had a similar model, Wilderness Medicine Pro 2.0 Medical / First Aid Kit. Both chuckman and chinookmed are great resources.

rob_s
08-09-10, 12:56
I love the way this is packed, not so much the $250 price tag!
http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/03742/medical_kits/-Adventure-Medical-Kits-Marine-1000-------------

http://www.chinookmed.com/mas_assets/full/03742.jpg

chuckman
08-09-10, 13:17
The Marine kits are good when you are a good day or two (or 10) from any medical care. They have some serious medical-provider-only stuff in the other models like sutures, foley catheters, etc. Overkill for mere mortals such as myself; however, if I am at sea for days-to-weeks or really out in the boonies, some of that stuff could be nice to have.

The kit itself is organized nicely, with things well thought-out. I think that is what you, Rob, were referring to. The other AMKs are packaged well, but certainly not labelled as well.

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-09-10, 13:46
If you are a type of person who would render aid in an emergency, one of the worst feelings of inadequacy is not having adequate medical supplies at the scene of a serious motor vehicle accident. I consider driving an inherent risk and tried to plan accordingly. I designed the core of my kit around the treatment of blunt trauma injuries. My limited assets, training and gear reduces my options for an ideal kit but I do feel more adequate than most acquaintances in such an event.

Von Rheydt
08-09-10, 15:03
Related to the subject in hand at a tangent: As well as having a means of providing care to injured parties you should also consider your own personal physical safety.

In Europe anyone involved in working on roads/highways/freeways has to wear, at the minimum, a hi-viz waistcoat. This includes all 911 personnel and maintenance crews.

France has taken this a step further. They now insist that there is a hi-viz jacket carried in every vehicle for each passenger - fine payable if found not to have one. These are to be worn if the occupants need to exit the vehicle on the motorway/freeway in the case of an emergency.

You may want to consider putting a hi-viz waistcoat with your kit along with a warning triangle.

Note: As a point of interest between the Euro countries I used to travel around it is mandatory to carry:

1. Spare glasses, if you wear glasses
2. 5 litres of spare fuel - some only require the carrying of a fuel can
3. First aid kit (approved type)
4. Hi - viz waistcoat
5. Warning triangle
6. Spare tyre
7. Around $25 cash. I used to keep it in an envelope with my registration docs.
8. Fire extinguisher

In Germany many people have a blanket and small pillow for first aid purposes as they are taught this is good practice when doing their driving course.

Boss Hogg
08-09-10, 15:07
I think Adventure Medical Kits offer a very good value.

My wife and I went on a snorkeling trip recently. One guy got a huge splinter in his foot from the dock. Do you think the boat had tweezers on board? No, but my AMK mini kit in my backpack did. The other turistas asked me if I was a Boy Scout. :p The rum came in handy to sterilize the safety pin and tweezers.

One concern is that medical kits that are too big can be too difficult to find stuff in a hurry. Keep the bandages, tourinquet, etc most (and quickly) accessible. Heck, a saline wound spray and a few BandAids in the console is better than nothing.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=237&catname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight&prodname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight%20.5%20-%202010%20Edition

NinjaMedic
08-09-10, 20:26
If you are building a car kit I would recommend at least two tourniquets. The reason being the most common mechanism of injury that would require tourniquet application on a roadway is a person standing behind one vehicle and being struck by another such as when changing a tire and getting something out of a trunk on the side of the road. This will commonly result in bilateral lower extremity amputations or crush injuries requiring tourniquet application. I personally carry 4 tourniquets in each of my vehicles as most people have a friend assist them with changing a tire so there are often potentially two victims. This is what I keep in each of my vehicles:

Bag of Nitrile Gloves - Size Large
4 CAT Tourniquets
BVM
Trauma Shears

Short of an AED I can perform any necessary, legal, life saving interventions I need to do prior to the arrival of a fully stocked ambulance. If you want boo boo stuff thats your business and there are plenty of appropriate kits available but I would keep them separate. I package everything in a large heavy duty ziplock and place it under the driver seat or between the seat and the B-Pillar so I can access it laying on the ground at my driver door, i.e. after a gunfight.

NinjaMedic
08-09-10, 20:32
Also I will once again advise everyone on this forum not to apply a hemostatic agent to another human being unless you are a licensed physician or working at that time under the direction of one. If you insist on making a poor decision please at least use an impregnated gauze product like combat gauze rather than a granular hemostatic agent.

rsgard
08-10-10, 03:34
Whatever kit you decide make sure its secured. Floor of the backseat is not secured. You will want to be able to reach it from the driver seat. Think similar to where those small auto fire extinguishers are kept. A fire extinguisher is a good idea too. First aid is moot point if you on fire ;)
If you carry quikclot you must understand when to use it. I live in ohio and no EMS agency i know of carrys hemostatic agents like quikclot. In the civi world most bleeding can be controlled with pressure elevation and pressure points.

MIKE G
08-11-10, 00:48
Rob,

If you want, feel free to send me an email with budget and some broad goals and I can do some leg work for you.

Personally if I were putting together a kit for your level of training I would have a balance of trauma gear (OLAES, Primed gauze, TKs of some fashion based on budget, duct tape, gloves, etc), some minor to moderate injury type stuff (ABD pads, control wraps, SAM splint, etc) and some boo boo type stuff (72hr sick call kit, bandaids and the like).

Stuff that into a BFG DAP pack and you have a pretty solid setup that could be plussed up or retasked if you decided on something else later on.

Just some thoughts and something I have been looking at while playing with my DAP Small.

MIKE G
08-11-10, 01:03
To add some other thoughts...

Yes TQs are important but lets not forget things like non arterial wounds, you can loose a good bit of blood from a venous bleed that would not be call for a TQ and a pressure dressing or even an ABD pad and control/ace warp would fix. OR arterial bleeds not on extremities where TQs can not be used (had a patient once with a scalp arterial bleed that was difficult to control even with a stack of ABD pads and ace wrap, lost a significant amount of blood prior to our arrival from a relatively small laceration).

SAM splints are not perfect but are a balance of compact vs. function and can be used for orthopedic injuries or when treating more complex extremity bleeds.

A small blanket/couple of trash can liners/etc allow you to create a barrier between your patient and the world on a cold wet night should you not be able to move them, its not a down comforter but it will help retain some heat which helps both comfort and mortality rates.

A headlamp and a handful of chem lights allow you to ID/make visible yourself to others as well as mark multiple patients should you pull up on a incident involving more than one person.

The other stuff is good to keep around and I consider packs and third line type gear the perfect place to keep a range of items from life saving to boo boo. This isnt a IFAK, you should have items organized and compartmentalized to a point where they do not interfere with each other but should you need an ABD pad after placing a TQ you dont have to deal with two bags. This is a bad habit of large departments, they have a bag for everything so when stuff goes down you end up with 5 bags and a handful of hard items on a scene. Either have redundancy and overlap or just put it all in one bag.

rob_s
08-11-10, 05:04
Mike I was going to email you when I posted this but had a hard time digging up your email address. If you still have mine shoot me a message.

I really like the *idea* of the DAP but the cost of the bag plus dappers is cost prohibitive in my case and for this application. To get set up with pack and pouches it's north of $300 and I still have to buy the kit.

Which brings me full circle to why I'm looking at pre-packaged commercial kits. The AMK Fundamentals (http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01003/k-adventure/-Adventure-Medical-Kits-Fundamentals-Kit--------) or World Traveler (http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01017/k-travel/-Adventure-Medical-Kits-World-Travel-Medical-Kit) kit coupled with one of their .5 (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=237&catname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight&prodname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight%20.5%20-%202010%20Edition#), .7 (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?catname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight&prodname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight%20.7%20-%202010%20Edition&product=236), or .9 (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?catname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight&prodname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight%20.9%20-%202010%20Edition&product=235) or even the Smart Travel (http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01018/k-travel/-Adventure-Medical-Kits-Smart-Travel-Medical-Kit) kits for trips away from the vehicle (day hikes, etc.) seems like the best option for me right now from what I've been able to find on the market. I'm sure the bags themselves leave something to be desired in the durability department but they're also $30 (when purchased separately) and not $300.

chuckman
08-11-10, 06:36
I like the BFG bag, too, but I think you, Rob, are taking a good approach. Like I said in another thread, look at all the posts and comments and go with what you want and need. We all come with different experiences and expectations. The way I approach stuff like this is using Six Sigma thinking: I look at probabilities and outcomes. The DAP pack is ultra-cool and has a high cool-guys-dig-it factor, but the probability that most civilians need something of that construction/price is pretty low. Just like tourniquets. I can justify why most people should have one, most people shouldn't have more than two because the probability of needing more than one, EVER, is so low that it falls into the "nice to have" catagory and not the "have to have" catagory.

For most people, pre-packaged kits are the way to go. Chinook Med, NARP, Practical Trauma, Galls, REI...between these vendors alone 99.9% of the population will find a kit that works.

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-11-10, 07:42
Thanks NinjaMedic for suggesting a BVM, something I was considering but thought was cost prohibitive. I appreciate Chuckman's straight forward and pragmatic reasoning. This has been a helpful subject matter, thanks for starting this thread rob_s

rob_s
08-11-10, 11:14
Right now here's what I'm leaning towards.

(1) Adventure Medical Kits Comprehensive Kit (http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01001/k-adventure/-Adventure-Medical-Kits-Comprehensive-Kit-------)
(1) Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight / Watertight .3 - 2010 Edition (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?catname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight&prodname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight%20.3%20-%202010%20Edition&product=238)

This gives me one on the big end and one on the small end to evaluate for my needs and gives me a basis for judging the two.

MIKE G
08-11-10, 14:51
Rob,

I will try to shoot you an email tonight or later this week. Trying to get grades in for end of semester.

Not specifically to Rob but to everyone...

I can fully understand the cost to use ratio and assessing what is appropriate for you. As someone who has a pile of old nylon, both high CDI and low quality knock off gear I can also appreciate that items like the BFG DAP series and a number of other manufacturers make gear that will last much longer than your med setup will. This is why I like more generic designs that can be repurposed or sold down the road. I have a number of nice dedicated med packs sitting in my gear room that never get used either as a med pack or as a general purpose pack whereas I use my Kifaru Marauder, Original RAID, etc for lots of stuff. I have definitely gotten a lot more use out of the more general and less specialized pieces that I have purchased and should I ever need to sell them to make a few quick bucks it will be much easier to get rid of than those high end LBT bags (yes plural) that I have sitting on the shelf.

Point being, I look at it as an investment. If I buy something solid to begin with I feel much more comfortable that it will serve me well in to the future and potentially provide me with some cash should I need to get rid of it.

As far as me being a retailer and being partial to what I carry, I have access to the AMK line and the mark up is quite generous. I have said this before and will say it again (I think most of the other vendors on here would agree as well), I could sell the lower end items and make more money on each item as well as in the quantity being sold but I sleep easy at night knowing that I have put gear out the door that I trust, would rely on if I went afield, and whenever possible is made by Americans.

Just my thoughts, back to grading tests...

HES
08-11-10, 21:35
Rob, this is what my wife and I decided upon as our family / car / cub and boy scout kits:

TRAUMA / HEMORAGE
Impregnated Blood clotter (celox or quick clot), 2 Pkg.
Flexible (SAM) Splint, 2 Ea.
Gauze 2x2, 10 Ea.
Gauze 4x4, 10 Ea.
Gauze rolls, 2 Ea.
Cravats, 2 Ea.
Maxi Pads, 5 Ea
Tourniquet, SOF, 2 Ea.
Trauma Pad, 5"x9", 2 Ea.

BURNS
Cleansing Wipes, Lidocaine and Aloe, 5 Ea
Burn Gel

MINOR WOUNDS
Adhesive Bandage, 1"x3", 5 Ea
Adhesive Bandage, 3/4"x3", 10 Ea
Adhesive Bandage, 5/8"x2-1/4", 15 Ea
Adhesive Bandage, 1-1/2x3-1/4" Knuckle, 5 Ea
Adhesive Bandage, 1-3/4"x4", 5 Ea
Eye Wash, 4oz OR single use tube, 2 Ea
Finger splints, 1 Ea
Ice pack, 2 Ea
Moleskin, 1 Ea
Pads, Eye, Oval, 2-1/8"x2-5/8", 2 Ea.
Wet Wipes (Benzalkonium Chloride), 10 Ea
Wipes, alcohol, 20 Ea
Wipes, Iodine, 20 Ea.
Wound wash, 1 Ea

MEDICATIONS
Ammonia inhaler (smelling salts), 1 Pkg.
Antacid, 1 Pkg
Antidiahreal, 1 Pkg
Antinausea, 1 Pkg
Asprin, 81mg childrens, 1 Pkg
Benadryl, pills, 1 Pkg
Benadryl, stick, 1 Ea
Glucose, 25mg tube, 1 Pkg
Hydrocortisone Cream 1%, 1 Ea
Ibuprofen, 1 Pkg
Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 1 Ea
Tylenol / aleve, 1 Pkg
Zinc oxide, 1 Ea

TOOLS / PPE / OTHER
Ambu Res-Cue Key CPR Shield, 1 Ea
Carmex Lip Balm, 1 Ea
chem lights, 4 Ea
disposable razor, 1 Ea
Eye drops, 1 Ea
Gloves, nitrle, large, 6 Ea
Hand sanitizer, 1 Ea
Hemostat, 2 Ea.
Light, Flash light, high intensity, 1 Ea
Light, head lamp, 1 Ea
N95 Particualte filtering disposable face mask, 2 Ea
Sharpie marker, 1 Ea
Space blanket, 2 Ea
Trauma shears, 1 Ea
Tweezers, 1 Ea
Whistle, 1 Ea

WRAPS
ACE wrap, 2 Ea
Coban (althletes tape), 2 Ea
Medical tape, 2 Ea

We developed this list based on our personal and professional experience (me: fomer combat lifesaver training and current 1st aid certs. she: trauma and wound nurse). We bought only those items that were within our skill levels. We did not buy a pre packaged kit because we wanted to be able to restock it as necessary with out breaking the bank by buying specialty packaged items. So we bought the stocks for our kits mainly from Walmart and some times from online. Total cost of stock per kit was about $100.00 or so.m A bit steep, but it covers everything from a kid getting a splinter all the way to coming onto a traffic accident where someone is bleeding big time from a nearly severed limb.

As for bags, I bought my wife this (http://www.amazon.com/ADC-1025OR-Rescue-Bag/dp/B000WHUR90/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1281579666&sr=8-18) from Amazon. Cost was about $30 at the time. It aint sexy but is car transportable and eaisly carried to a camp site. For me, I was about to buy one when I was working in Raleigh and decided to drive to Fayetteville and see what was available in the pawn shops. I found this (http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=01292&source=froogle) for $75. Yeah close to $200 total for me, but Im a knucklehead like that. Honestly I dont think you can beat a $140 or so price point for what you are looking for.

Huntindoc
08-12-10, 13:58
I have both the comprehensive and the expedition kit from adventure medical and have also been to medical courses sponsored by Dr. Weis.

Both kits have been first rate. The bags hold up well. You will need to intermittently replace items either due to use (hopefully not) or expiration but are generally much cheaper than you can put together yourself. REI carries much of their stuff so if you have one of those stores close by you may want to check them out.

Lynn_A
08-14-10, 14:55
One addition I suggest for everyone's first-aid kit is a small bottle of colloidal silver (http://www.silver-colloids.com) . Silver is toxic to bacteria, algae and fungi and can also be used as an antiseptic.

A few years back I began to suffer bad sinus infections and a pal suggested trying silver. All the trips to doctor to get antibiotics are now over. If I wake up feeling sinus pressure and steam doesn't provide the relief, I will take a tablespoon of silver in the morning and a second tablespoon at night. Usually by the next morning, I feel fine.

I take a tablespoon of sliver once each week, hold it under my tongue for a minute, rinse my mouth out with it and then swallow. It works as an excellent mouthwash and can be put in a spray bottle to be used as a deodorant. And no, I'm not turning blue. I remember my grandmother saying they would put a silver dollar in a milk bottle, to keep the milk fresh longer.

As bacteria become more and more antibiotic-resistant, silver still remains effective, because it cuts of the bacteria's ability to process oxygen. The pharmaceutical industry is always on its hind legs wanting silver removed from the market. Because they know how well it works.

Don't let the doctors fill you up with antibiotics that are becoming less reliable, just keep a bottle of silver around.

GotAmmo
08-14-10, 15:50
I have been known to carry a US Army combat lifesaver bag in my trunk, but not recently since im not in a combat brigade and its not as easy to replace the IV bags.

BuzzinSATX
10-29-17, 12:48

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this OP, as well as a lot of the additional posts, outlined much of what I’ve been thinking for a while. I’ve always carried some first aid and trauma type stuff in my truck, but it was segmented...some stuff as in the console, some in the back under the seat, etc. So while I was placing an order at www.lapolicegear.com, I added a red bail out bag to my order as a catalyst to start putting together my kit.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I am not any sort of medic, but I had some minor first aid training throughout my military career, and am current in AED and CPR. But I figure I can apply the basic ABC and if I have some supplies available, can at least try should I be in a back road place and come across an accident. Also, it’s been my experience that many folks who do have the training may not always carry their kits, so if I have stuff that can help, that would be a plus.

Anyway, pics are below. I plan to add a second tourniquet and more clotting packs. And am looking at some better shears and maybe some basic clamps and what not. I would like to add this LAPolice Gear bag is excellent for the cost. Mine was on sale at 15% off, so under $20.

VARIABLE9
10-29-17, 13:45

I’ll second Adventure Medical. And adding the typical BOK items. You can certainly piece together you own off Amazon, however buying a premade larger kit from AM or another company and augmenting it can save time.

VARIABLE9
10-29-17, 13:48
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this OP, as well as a lot of the additional posts, outlined much of what I’ve been thinking for a while. I’ve always carried some first aid and trauma type stuff in my truck, but it was segmented...some stuff as in the console, some in the back under the seat, etc. So while I was placing an order at www.lapolicegear.com, I added a red bail out bag to my order as a catalyst to start putting together my kit.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I am not any sort of medic, but I had some minor first aid training throughout my military career, and am current in AED and CPR. But I figure I can apply the basic ABC and if I have some supplies available, can at least try should I be in a back road place and come across an accident. Also, it’s been my experience that many folks who do have the training may not always carry their kits, so if I have stuff that can help, that would be a plus.

Anyway, pics are below. I plan to add a second tourniquet and more clotting packs. And am looking at some better shears and maybe some basic clamps and what not. I would like to add this LAPolice Gear bag is excellent for the cost. Mine was on sale at 15% off, so under $20.

Dig that. Thanks for the tip.

BuzzinSATX
10-29-17, 14:48
I’ll second Adventure Medical. And adding the typical BOK items. You can certainly piece together you own off Amazon, however buying a premed larger kit from AM or another company and augmenting it can save time.

Agree with this post.

My situation was I had a bunch of components already spread out between vehicles and home, so the bag helped consolidate the stuff I had into an easy to carry kit I could move to other vehicles when taking road trips. I do have stuff stashed in my shooting bag and home that stays put.

And I have several pieces of Adventure Medical gear and small kits, which are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacMedic556
11-09-17, 09:47
My truck kit is pretty simple and takes up a small volume of space. I used one of my older med thigh rigs. It contains the items necessary to address the leading causes of death from combat/GSW related trauma.

-Gloves & Shears
-CAT Tourniquet
-2 Combat Gauze (Latest gen of QuikClot)
-QuikClot 4x4 Gauze
-Olaes Bandage
-Israeli Bandage
-Chest Seal (Fox)
-Chest Needle x 2
-28 Fr. Nasal Cannula
-Ace pressure wrap

Anything else and you have time.